• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated numbers show PS4 selling twice as much as XB1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a point.

You do realise that John Harker has access to NPD data right? And probably a bit more besides.

He is one of the "Gaffers in the know" that Aqua often alluded to

He probably knows what he is talking about.

And no I dont think he will ever give out numbers. Not his style. Just a hint now and then.

I assume NPD doesn't have data on how many PS4 sales were bundled and how many are standalone, which is where the discrepancy is. So, this doesn't matter much.

I didn't get anything wrong :).

I choose my words carefully for a reason, you're entitled to read it any way you'd like!

I didn't say anything about Play, and I didn't say anything about Bundles because those copies are purchased by the publisher and not the consumer. ::shrug::

I like playing with people's perspective, and I was trying to help avoiding this thread turning into yet another console bashing without some additional conversation topic points so there ya go, have fun
So, you're just here to derail the actual conversation with some incredibly misleading FUD. Awesome. Thanks for your "contribution."

Are anyone else a bit stunned that the biggest reasons to own the new consoles are because of older games - GTA5, TLOU:Remastered, Halo MCC?

Like, its almost like the greatest games generally come out at the end of a generation.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Must be a bummer for MS but it keeps them active. If XB1 had PS4 sales there's no way we'd see stuff like the firmware updates and all the 180s.

i saw a post similar to this earlier and totally agree. microsoft fucked up! plain and simple. the numbers say it all.

they're gonna have to keep active and produce new titles and firmware updates left, right and centre to stay in this game!

fortunately, as a owner of both consoles, it's all good though.

ocean

Banned
From the same guy who told us to not read too much into the early PS4 sales.
That was a fair assessment though. Saying that a console's initial sales don't determine success in the long run is a well substantiated claim based on hard historical data. It in no way suggested PS4 wouldn't sell better; just that initial sales weren't a solid indicator for believing so. Never understood why that article got so much flak here. It was a rare piece of evidence-based games journalism.

More on-topic: Sony deserves this. They released a more powerful product at a better price and with a market strategy that better resonated with gamers. It's nice to see the market reward the better product; it doesn't always happen.

It begins. I was just at work the other and a guy came in with some buddies and was looking at the PS4 section. He asked if there was anything special coming with CoD: AW and I told him about the AW Xbone bundle. He got really excited when he heard it had 1TB and other features you can't get on PS4. He comes back the next day with his PS4 and games and trades them all in, saying his buddies will be trading in their PS4s for Xbones too. You all laughed at the Xbox One when it first came out, but let's look at the facts. Xbox One has:

- the best exclusives (Halo: MCC, Sunset Overdrive, NFL Network)
- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the most fun per each hour spent playing a game
- the best network infrastructure powered by expensive cloud servers
- the cheapest consoles

compared to the PS4 which has:

- the best graphics (who cares, gameplay>graphics)
- the most indie games (who plays indies?)
- the worst controller
- the worst network infrastructure ran by monkeys
- the worst network security imaginable
- the most rabid bunch of fanboys ever seen
- the most arrogant executives

When you stop and compare the pros and cons for each system, can you really blame those guys for trading in their PS4s with all the broken promises and stupid pictures of tubs for a Xbox One? Jump in GAF.

I see what you did there. Let's be honest though. PSN isn't run by monkeys. Monkeys could do it better than the current implementation.

Last time super domination happened was 2 gens ago with the PS2. It didn't seem to hurt the industry back then.

The way I see it, short term, if PS4 dominance results in more exclusive games from third parties, the PS4 players will have better looking games to look forward to since exclusive games can be better optimized than cross-platform games.

Long term, competition is good for the consumer. However, it just so happens that Sony needs the dough most of all right now, Microsoft and Nintendo are in better financial straits and can weather a bad gen more easily. So once again, PS4 dominance this gen might be a good thing for competition.

Microsoft fucked up with a weaker console. They're doing some good things OS-side (suspend/resume and MKV support) but that stuff is not as important as powerful hardware.

You think the PS4 is going to get third party exclusives just because of the bigger install base? Doesn't seem likely.

theWB27

Weep for MS?, of course not, they should be in a worse position than they already are if we lived in a just world, Wii U should be 2nd place. PS4 is rightfully taking the top spot so i won't complain... much.

Really...why? What has Micro done that makes them deserve a worse spot? What has WiiU done to deserve a better spot? What is this dreamy, just world you speak of?

Jomjom

Banned
Good lord man. That wasn't my point. My point was that people disregarded the bundle. It's right their on the first page in the link i provided.

I think the point is this: how do you know that the people in that thread disregarding the Madden bundle are the same people calling for the counting of the Destiny bundle in this thread?

I don't have the time to go and cross reference that thread and this one, but if you actually took the time to do that, I will stand corrected.

But if there isn't that overlap do you think it's fair or meaningful to troll people who had nothing to do with disregarding that Madden bundle?

DryvBy

It begins. I was just at work the other and a guy came in with some buddies and was looking at the PS4 section. He asked if there was anything special coming with CoD: AW and I told him about the AW Xbone bundle. He got really excited when he heard it had 1TB and other features you can't get on PS4.

You can't get a 1TB in the PS4? Is it illegal or something?

i saw a post similar to this earlier and totally agree. microsoft fucked up! plain and simple. the numbers say it all.

they're gonna have to keep active and produce new titles and firmware updates left, right and centre to stay in this game!

fortunately, as a owner of both consoles, it's all good though.
Yup. I have no sympathy for MS. They shuttered all non-Kinect projects that weren't Halo and Forza in the previous gen and this gen they opted to target TV audiences in the age of cord cutters. They pain is well deserved.

Dunlop

If Bish sees this you are fucked.
It's very unlikely he would see that unless some poster hoping for a ban would happen to quote and highlight....oh wait

Good news for Sony,I was hoping for it to be more neck and neck so they would be fighting MS tooth and nail like the early 360/ps3 days

Destiny selling a lot more on Xbox One.
Despite the double digit millions Sony invested in the title.

Just throwing that stat out there for fun.
Console hardware sales don't always tell the full story for the industry as a whole.

Just talking about US for now

Sony explicitly stated that the PS4 is the lead console for Destiny and they take into account digital and bundles so this is factually incorrect.

The PS4's big boost over the other 2 consoles in the last quarter is probably because they had a huge games advantage with TLOU coming out in July, and the Destiny bundle selling massive amounts.

(Meanwhile the X1 & Wii U had practically nothing other than a X1 Madden bundle)

Now that the holidays are here, PS4 will still sell well, but I don't expect them to be shipping 60+ percent of current gen. consoles like last quarter.
Xbox One will do significantly better thanks to it's strong set of exclusives this holiday, and it's price cut in NA.
Also, Wii U sales should be up thanks to games like Bayonetta and especially SSB.

I would expect end of year shipment numbers to be around 19M PS4/ 10.5M X1/ 10M WiiU.

holysan

ps4vsxb1-update.002.jpg

Damn...

What some users predicted two years ago.

Bizarre.

Krakn3Dfx

It begins. I was just at work the other and a guy came in with some buddies and was looking at the PS4 section. He asked if there was anything special coming with CoD: AW and I told him about the AW Xbone bundle. He got really excited when he heard it had 1TB and other features you can't get on PS4. He comes back the next day with his PS4 and games and trades them all in, saying his buddies will be trading in their PS4s for Xbones too. You all laughed at the Xbox One when it first came out, but let's look at the facts. Xbox One has:

- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the cheapest consoles

- the worst controller

When you stop and compare the pros and cons for each system, can you really blame those guys for trading in their PS4s with all the broken promises and stupid pictures of tubs for a Xbox One? Jump in GAF.

hitthewall.gif

I agree with this.

The PS4 will do worse than the VITA, they have lost to much brand recognition, exclusives and they have IPs noone gives a shit about besides nerds on the internet. Coupled with no backwards compatibility (due to the abandonment of the Cell), Sony is destined for last place again. Failing all that, the PS4 will be $499-$549 and we will get a repeat of the PS3 but this time it will be much worse.
Quote me in 2 or 3 years. I know when something is about to bomb. Sony is very easy to read, even Patcher can do it.
Well he did say to quote him in 2 years.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It begins. I was just at work the other and a guy came in with some buddies and was looking at the PS4 section. He asked if there was anything special coming with CoD: AW and I told him about the AW Xbone bundle. He got really excited when he heard it had 1TB and other features you can't get on PS4. He comes back the next day with his PS4 and games and trades them all in, saying his buddies will be trading in their PS4s for Xbones too.

So this guy decided to take a huge loss on his PS4 and gaming collection to buy a game that will also be available (and slightly better) on PS4? And you really believe all of his friends are going to do exactly the same because he said so?

Ok.

Really...why? What has Micro done that makes them deserve a worse spot? What has WiiU done to deserve a better spot? What is this dreamy, just world you speak of?

Were you living under a rock when the XBO was announced?, the 180's change nothing because according to them... we Neanderthals weren't ready...

Percy

Banned
But I was just reading in that other thread today that XB1 has been closing the gap since the price cut... so clearly this can't be right :/

flkraven

XB1 is about to become the next Dreamcast.

I think it's funny that everyone keeps saying the XB1 is doomed, meanwhile it continues to sell at a decent pace and is still the 2nd most popular console in this 3 console gen. So if XB1 is the Dreamcast, and Nintendo is Doomed, then Sony only next gen?

Dr. Kaos

Banned
You think the PS4 is going to get third party exclusives just because of the bigger install base? Doesn't seem likely.

You're right that it's not a sure thing. Especially with game budgets nowadays and the fact that both consoles have very similar architectures. It's merely a possibility.

The PS4's big boost over the other 2 consoles in the last quarter is probably because they had a huge games advantage with TLOU coming out in July, and the Destiny bundle selling massive amounts.

(Meanwhile the X1 & Wii U had practically nothing other than a X1 Madden bundle)

Now that the holidays are here, PS4 will still sell well, but I don't expect them to be shipping 60+ percent of current gen. consoles like last quarter.
Xbox One will do significantly better thanks to it's strong set of exclusives this holiday, and it's price cut in NA.
Also, Wii U sales should be up thanks to games like Bayonetta and especially SSB.

I would expect end of year shipment numbers to be around 19M PS4/ 10.5M X1/ 10M WiiU.
What exclusives mate? Sunset I doubt will sell more than 1 million and Halo MCC will not move that many units since I imagine most people getting it have the X1 already. The awesome bundles from MS are going to slay though, quite a bit more if Sony does not lower the price.

- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the cheapest consoles

- the worst controller

Not going to argue, but be careful in posting this sort of stuff, people here don't like a thread getting a thread derailed into console wars...

Quotient

I honestly didn't think the gap was that wide. Sony outsold Microsoft 3-1 worldwide for the April-September period. I now understand why Microsoft are selling insanely great bundles for $349.

DC R1D3R

Banned
I think it's funny that everyone keeps saying the XB1 is doomed, meanwhile it continues to sell at a decent pace and is still the 2nd most popular console in this 3 console gen. So if XB1 is the Dreamcast, and Nintendo is Doomed, then Sony only next gen?

"……So I got the game in a chokehold and I hold it like this!"
20140120_yamauchi_article_main_image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom