• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated numbers show PS4 selling twice as much as XB1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Weep for microsoft if old.

From arstechnica:

Updated numbers show PS4 with at least 65 percent of two-console market

both Wii U and the Xbox One sales have been absolutely dwarfed by the PlayStation 4 in recent months. The PS4 has shipped roughly 63 to 68 percent of all "current generation" consoles in recent months. That's significantly better than the (still impressive) 48 to 49 percent of the shipments that Sony can claim over the life of the current console generation. In fact, the shipment of six million PlayStation 4s from April to September is only slightly below the lifetime shipments for either the Xbox One or Wii U, and that should tell you something about how well Sony's system has been doing of late.

The people love Cerny.

ps4vsxb1-update.002.jpg

Damn...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Destiny selling a lot more on Xbox One.
Despite the double digit millions Sony invested in the title.

Just throwing that stat out there for fun.
Console hardware sales don't always tell the full story for the industry as a whole.

Just talking about US for now

Console hardware sales don't always tell the full story for the industry as a whole.

Those numbers don't count digital or bundles.

Atlas157

It's "selling" more because the free copies are counted.

IllumiNate

Destiny PS4 bundles never counted towards that number. MS was giving away Destiny for free..

VanWinkle

Still more people playing on PS4, though, if you count the bundle.

Also, what constitutes "a lot more"? Did we ever hear numbers?

Destiny bundles don't count, whereas the free Destiny MS was giving out does. That probably had an influence on that, not to mention that, as you said, that is only in the US.

Nice stats to back that up.

Mung

What a random post.

To be fair though, you have succeeded in your aim:
thread derailment

Destiny did not sell a lot more on xbox one.

bundles for PS4 and digital for both weren't even counted.

Good. I'm very glad the most powerful console is leading in sales. I hope this means the audiences are starting to pay attention to hardware and game specs.

Didn't Activision already say more people playing Destiny on PS4 then on any other platform?

I believe it was PS4>XBO>360>PS3

I suspect he's overestimating the 360 portion of Microsoft's combined 3.5 million shipment figure from July-September. 1.15-1.8 million just seems really high given ps3 only shipped .8 million. If that's the case, his XB1 shipment estimate is a bit low.

Not that that changes his overall point. Just thought those numbers were odd.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm honestly not sure that MCC + $50 discount will be enough for XB1 to beat PS4 in November. Will be interesting to see.

Right, good job excluding the thousand of bundles that included the game and weren't included.

And the press release by Activision, too.

I'm honestly not sure that MCC + $50 discount will be enough for XB1 to beat PS4 in November. Will be interesting to see.

while I would enjoy another Sony month in November I don't think they have enough to get over the price drop and MCC.

GTAV might be a wild card though.

what the heck does Destiny have to do with this current thread and hardware sales?
lol

DAT THIRST amirite? No Gamez! thats why it is selling better /s

You are wrong!
Destiny sold more on PS4. But of course NPD and especially you won't count the bundled PS4 Destiny copies, right ;)
Don't forget the unofficially bundled copies for XB1 NPD presumably did count.

In this unusual situation, NPD's data probably paints an inaccurate picture.

gcubed

tag is perfect

I suspect he's overestimating the 360 portion of Microsoft's combined 3.5 million shipment figure from July-September. 1.15-1.8 million just seems really high given ps3 only shipped .8 million. If that's the case, his XB1 shipment estimate is a bit low.

Not that that changes his overall point. Just thought those numbers were odd.

Yep. Hasn't the PS3 has been outselling the 360 WW so the numbers are a bit questionable?

E92 M3

I don't think super domination is good for our industry right now. Microsoft is doing a lot of good things with Xbox and want them to be successful as the PS4.

Oh you...

John, you post in the NPDs every month and keep a close eye on NPDs, so why did you get this wrong so badly? Plus beside all that, US Destiny numbers vs WW console shipment numbers?

daveo42

Banned

John Harker
Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
(Today, 02:30 PM)

Yeah, I thought it might but when you just look at that graph, it's really hard to imagine even Halo and a price drop swinging things so drastically that the XB1 bar is ahead of the PS4 one, even for a month.

while I would enjoy another Sony month in November I don't think they have enough to get over the price drop and MCC.

GTAV might be a wild card though.

GTA5 might not be a wildcard. There doesn't look like there will be a bundle in the U.S.
So Sony in America don't really have anything to counter.....unless they announce something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom