• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated numbers show PS4 selling twice as much as XB1

Status
Not open for further replies.
People say that, but is there any real reason to think a generation is hurt by dominance? Last generation was the only close one really. It wasn't notably better to me, in fact, it was the worst.

This is true. The PS2 dominated that era and we still got tons of amazing games on XB and GC. Games like Unreal Championship, Mechassault, Crimson Skies, KOTOR, Halo 1/2, Rogue Squadron 2, Metroid Prime series, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, etc.

Just because one company pulls out in front doesn't mean we can't have an awesome gen from others as well.

Pain

Banned
Yeah... I got mine at launch and still don't think it's worth buying right now. Looking at the list of exclusive games coming out in the next 3 months is just sad. It's even worse that they increased the price in Canada to $449. Really think it's way too much money now.
Good thing we buy more than just exclusives right?

People say that, but is there any real reason to think a generation is hurt by dominance? Last generation was the only close one really. It wasn't notably better to me, in fact, it was the worst.
I think devs being effectively forced to straddle multiple platforms due to a heavily fractured userbase caused a number of problems for many publishers last gen that didn't exist in the NES/SNES/PS1/PS2 eras (especially in Japan), but that has been mitigated through standardization, self-publishing, etc. that have enabled indies and smaller devs to bring their games to every platform under the sun with an ease that didn't exist before.

leazo

Banned
If anything the difference in sales hopefully means Microsoft have learnt a lesson or two for the next generation, at least I hope so considering I think their gamepads are a lot better than the dualshock design in my opinion.

NZerker12

g7XI2AJ.gif

I know its off-topic, but what is that thing, I've seen that gif used a lot but still have no idea what it is.

E92 M3

Wait so you think that if they were somehow selling as well or better than the PS4, MS would have done half... nah, any of their 180's and have been aggressive as they have been? MS have a chance of selling better because of Sony's dominance as they are hungering for what Sony has right now.

All consoles selling well provides no incentive to mix it up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If the Xbox and PS4 are constantly head-to-head, that'll keep everyone on their toes.

I'm honestly not sure that MCC + $50 discount will be enough for XB1 to beat PS4 in November. Will be interesting to see.

Sure but all it does is pull future sales forward. Temporary price cuts will look good for a period but all they do is make the time afterward horribly bad. Q1 2015 sales will be absolutely dismal.

I didn't get anything wrong :).

I choose my words carefully for a reason, you're entitled to read it any way you'd like!

I didn't say anything about Play, and I didn't say anything about Bundles because those copies are purchased by the publisher and not the consumer. ::shrug::

I like playing with people's perspective, and I was trying to help avoiding this thread turning into yet another console bashing without some additional conversation topic points so there ya go, have fun

QhxCLwQ.jpg

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If the Xbox and PS4 are constantly head-to-head, that'll keep everyone on their toes.
And that would be fine if they were equally interesting for customers. The market has decided that they are not.

I didn't say anything about Play, and I didn't say anything about Bundles because those copies are purchased by the publisher and not the consumer. ::shrug::

I like playing with people's perspective, and I was trying to help avoiding this thread turning into yet another console bashing without some additional conversation topic points so there ya go, have fun
Who is paying for the free copies that you could get at the Destiny launch that was individually counted by NPD?

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't really care for sales but it is surprising that Sony still are going so strong considering how disappointing and miserable the console has been IMO in 2014 from a first party perspective. Good for them either way. Since 2015 is so epic with loads of releases I expect the PS4 to continue selling well.

Sony did a as good job as they could with PS4, meaning that they they have supported PS3 for too long.

Only in 2013 they released GT6, God of War Ascension, The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls [and Puppeteer]. Almost all of those games sold poor to OK [TLOU was really only major hit] for late-stage of console lifecycle, and cold have been major heavyhitters and drivers of hardware sales if devs targeted PS4 launch window. Instead, Sony tasked 2-3 years of QD, SM and PD dev time on those games, while leaving only KZ:SF, Knack and Infamous for the PS4 launch window. Still, PS4 did great. :)

MS on other hand had very poor 1st party development in last years of X360.

Yeah... I got mine at launch and still don't think it's worth buying right now. Looking at the list of exclusive games coming out in the next 3 months is just sad. It's even worse that they increased the price in Canada to $449. Really think it's way too much money now.
I don't think it was a bad idea that I bought the PS4 this early but I considered getting it and skipping the Xbox One this Gen and I am really glad I didn't do that cause most of my favorite games this Gen so far are not on PS4. My PC isnt good for gaming so the XB1 is getting plenty of use.

Servbot24

Banned
Bit baffling that PS4 GTA bundle isn't announced for NA yet. Wonder if SCEA tried and just couldn't get the deal through?

After countless weak launch lineups over the last 2 decades, you really should have known better.

Id think at this point destiny sales outside of the bundles probably have tailed off. The xbox version probably is outselling it at this point even with them taken into account.
What would make you think that?

I would assume that the version on the console with the bigger user base, that we know sold the most copies of Destiny last month, would continue to sell better than the xbox version.

Microsoft is doing some smart things right now, but it might be a case of too little too late. I could see the MCC and price drop eeking out a US victory for a month or two, but the world-wide market has spoken. Xbox One will never make up that ground in any other territory.

You do realize the Xbox One is still selling better than the 360 was at this time right?

MS is doing alot of things right atm.

Remember the ps3? Ppl said it was dead the first 3 years also.

Please, no. Those two points have been disproven so many times

Respawn

Banned
Destiny selling a lot more on Xbox One.
Despite the double digit millions Sony invested in the title.

Just throwing that stat out there for fun.
Console hardware sales don't always tell the full story for the industry as a whole.

Just talking about US for now

I can taste that salt from here lol. Dude check your facts before posting.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I agree. There's also a little game called
Advanced Warfare that has a bundle and has been the highest selling console SKU on Amazon since the price drop.

It begins. I was just at work the other and a guy came in with some buddies and was looking at the PS4 section. He asked if there was anything special coming with CoD: AW and I told him about the AW Xbone bundle. He got really excited when he heard it had 1TB and other features you can't get on PS4. He comes back the next day with his PS4 and games and trades them all in, saying his buddies will be trading in their PS4s for Xbones too. You all laughed at the Xbox One when it first came out, but let's look at the facts. Xbox One has:

- the best exclusives (Halo: MCC, Sunset Overdrive, NFL Network)
- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the most fun per each hour spent playing a game
- the best network infrastructure powered by expensive cloud servers
- the cheapest consoles

compared to the PS4 which has:

- the best graphics (who cares, gameplay>graphics)
- the most indie games (who plays indies?)
- the worst controller
- the worst network infrastructure ran by monkeys
- the worst network security imaginable
- the most rabid bunch of fanboys ever seen
- the most arrogant executives

When you stop and compare the pros and cons for each system, can you really blame those guys for trading in their PS4s with all the broken promises and stupid pictures of tubs for a Xbox One? Jump in GAF.

It begins. I was just at work the other and a guy came in with some buddies and was looking at the PS4 section. He asked if there was anything special coming with CoD: AW and I told him about the AW Xbone bundle. He got really excited when he heard it had 1TB and other features you can't get on PS4. He comes back the next day with his PS4 and games and trades them all in, saying his buddies will be trading in their PS4s for Xbones too. You all laughed at the Xbox One when it first came out, but let's look at the facts. Xbox One has:

- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the cheapest consoles

- the worst controller

When you stop and compare the pros and cons for each system, can you really blame those guys for trading in their PS4s with all the broken promises and stupid pictures of tubs for a Xbox One? Jump in GAF.

Is this post a joke?

Servbot24

Banned

- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the cheapest consoles

- the worst controller

I really want to believe this is some kind of parody post.

But I think it might be real. :(

This is true. The PS2 dominated that era and we still got tons of amazing games on XB and GC. Games like Unreal Championship, Mechassault, Crimson Skies, KOTOR, Halo 1/2, Rogue Squadron 2, Metroid Prime series, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, etc.

Just because one company pulls out in front doesn't mean we can't have an awesome gen from others as well.

Yep. I had a OG Xbox with my PS2 and I loved that console just fine as it had plenty of great games. This ain't Ricky Bobby's "If you ain't first, you're last!" outlook on games.

- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the cheapest consoles

- the worst controller

Lol those things are highly subjective. This must be a joke.

StuBurns

Banned
I think devs being effectively forced to straddle multiple platforms due to a heavily fractured userbase caused a number of problems for many publishers last gen that didn't exist in the NES/SNES/PS1/PS2 eras (especially in Japan), but that has been mitigated through standardization, self-publishing, etc. that have enabled indies and smaller devs to bring their games to every platform under the sun with an ease that didn't exist before.
But that's kind of part of the point, right? It doesn't matter that the PS4 is going to crush the others, the XBO isn't going to be missing out on titles. It's not like the PS2 era where a 'AAA' game can be exclusive, because the amount of Xbox only owners was small enough that you could just comfortably write them off.

The libraries will be so similar, lots of people will only buy one, and they're so similar technology wise, that it'll always be worth making XBO SKUs.

Based on your ass?

What would make you think that?

I would assume that the version on the console with the bigger user base, that we know sold the most copies of Destiny last month, would continue to sell better than the xbox version.

Look. The playstation patforms have always had a lower proportion of shooter fans than xbox.

I stands to reason that outside the intial hype, a disappointing shooter title will have shorter legs on the PS4 dispite the gap in userbase.

Add in the problems (and perception of problems) with PSN, it stands to reason that Microsoft probably are picking up the bulk of tail end destiny sales.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I don't think super domination is good for our industry right now. Microsoft is doing a lot of good things with Xbox and want them to be successful as the PS4.

Last time super domination happened was 2 gens ago with the PS2. It didn't seem to hurt the industry back then.

The way I see it, short term, if PS4 dominance results in more exclusive games from third parties, the PS4 players will have better looking games to look forward to since exclusive games can be better optimized than cross-platform games.

Long term, competition is good for the consumer. However, it just so happens that Sony needs the dough most of all right now, Microsoft and Nintendo are in better financial straits and can weather a bad gen more easily. So once again, PS4 dominance this gen might be a good thing for competition.

Microsoft fucked up with a weaker console. They're doing some good things OS-side (suspend/resume and MKV support) but that stuff is not as important as powerful hardware.

Sony did a as good job as they could with PS4, meaning that they they have supported PS3 for too much.

Only in 2013 they released GT6, God of War Ascension, The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls [and Puppeteer]. Almost all of those games sold poor to OK [TLOU was really only major hit], and cold have been a major heavyhitters and drivers of hardware sales if devs targeted PS4 launch window. Instead, Sony tasked 2-3 years of QD, SM and PD dev time on those games, while leaving only KZ:SF, Knack and Infamous for the PS4 launch window. Still, PS4 did great. :)

MS on other hand had very poor 1st party development in last years of X360.

The bolded is a very good point. Having so much 1st party support for that system so close to PS4 launch certainly set them back a bit in that regard. Even non-1st party teams like Quantic Dream, who shipped Beyond Two Souls mere weeks before the PS4 hit.

Regardless, they will catch up again and the WWS output will return.

RibMan

GTA5 might not be a wildcard. There doesn't look like there will be a bundle in the U.S.
So Sony in America don't really have anything to counter.....unless they announce something.

Has this been confirmed? It seems rather odd that a PS4 bundle would be sold in Europe and Japan but not in North America (the region where GTA sells the most). Something doesn't add up.

imBask

Banned

- the best controller
- the best media apps
- the brightest future
- the cheapest consoles

- the worst controller

you forgot to add that Playstation is literally only about JRPGs and Panty Quest XIV

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Do you guys not realize that he's trolling PS4 fanboy's?

They were bragging about Madden selling more on the PS4 in the August NPD thread while disregarding the XB1 Madden bundle:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893306

Now these same exact people are factoring in the Destiny bundle.
Can you quote posts that these are the exact same people so we can know who is disingenuous and who isn't? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom