• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated PSVR unit announced

Reallink

Drift and wobble was never a problem with the light tracking. It's the gyro and accelerometer.
Those problems can be solved by placing your HEADSET on a flat surface while it's booting up.

*HEADSET, OOPS.

Look up what an IMU is, hence why I mentioned it. The camera and tracking lights are most likely the majority contributor to world wobble (the in and out sway, typically if you're too far back), not the IMU, though I'm sure its readings are included in any calculations so it could be a contributor.

If I already own a PS VR, can I swap out my old Processor Unit with the updated one?
Because the cables of CUH-ZVR1 and CUH-ZVR2 are different, you cannot swap the Processor Units.

Fuck offfffffffffffff. Ugh. Goddammit.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Look up what an IMU is, hence why I mentioned it. The world wobble (the in and out sway, typically if you're too far back) is most likely caused by the camera and tracking lights, not the IMU.

The wobble is definitely caused by the camera's distance to the tracking lights/hmd.

I was getting terrible wobble in re7 with the camera 6 feet from the headset. I moved the camera to my coffee table in front of me, making the distance about 3 feet and it pretty much eliminated all wobble.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So why can’t they release a separate box for those with the 1st gen unit for hdr? It’s bullshit if they don’t.

Maybe they prefer their early adopters to upgrade by buying an entirely new VR headset rather than a new seperate unit? That way they can earn more money

Gitaroo

Sony should make a new elite controller that breaks apart like their patent that works for vr too with HD rumble. VR + HD rumble should be amazing.

tr00per

Oh snap. That's pretty cool. I see the convenience of built in headphones but I like the ability to use whichever ones I like. And switching the moves to micro usb makes sense as well. I do have to wonder if they aren't planning a revision, since this had to cost some money to change

Maybe they prefer their early adopters to upgrade by buying an entirely new VR headset rather than a new seperate unit? That way they can earn more money
...which isn’t going to happen, nobody’s gonna pay $400 or $500 for a built-in headphone jack and a control box bugfix.

Fuck offfffffffffffff. Ugh. Goddammit.

The interesting thing is that they knew people would ask that question because the problem exists, yet they choose to do nothing to remedy the situation for existing users.

Just sell a compatible, HDR pass-through, box on their website or offer an exchange program for the box.

Z3M0G

Huh... my HR just sent out an email saying they set up a "Game Room" in the office with a Switch and PSVR setup... pretty cool but I wonder why lol

Edit: I'm told we had some extra Social funds, so they made it a permanent addition, nice!

So I'm fuzzy on this whole situation. I bought my PSVR a couple months ago and have a standard 1080p non HDR tv. I'm hoping to pick up a 4K/HDR tv around Black Friday, what exactly does this mean?

I'm guessing that processing box isn't compatible with HDR tvs? Meaning if I wanted to take advantage of HDR whether I'm playing a game or watching a movie, I would have to unhook my processing box from my PS4? And continually do that when I want to switch from PSVR to regular ol' gaming/movie watching with HDR?

So I'm fuzzy on this whole situation. I bought my PSVR a couple months ago and have a standard 1080p non HDR tv. I'm hoping to pick up a 4K/HDR tv around Black Friday, what exactly does this mean?

I'm guessing that processing box isn't compatible with HDR tvs? Meaning if I wanted to take advantage of HDR whether I'm playing a game or watching a movie, I would have to unhook my processing box from my PS4? And continually do that when I want to switch from PSVR to regular ol' gaming/movie watching with HDR?

Pretty much.

Peltz

Yes.

Ellite25

I would have totally bought a new box for the HDR pass through but Sony won’t even let us do that. That’s pretty shitty tbh.

Just sell a compatible, HDR pass-through, box on their website or offer an exchange program for the box.

Exactly, it wouldn't be a hard thing to do and it's not like it would cost them a massive amount, Sony make plenty of equipment with HDMI / HDR passthrough, so it would just be a case of changing the HDMI chipset.

Even though it is their oversight, I'd still pay for one, and I'm sure others would too.

Anarion07

Gotcha, thanks

That's a bit of a bummer. It's already a slight bit of a pain in the ass to get the PSVR up and running (and I mean slight - just a few seconds of work) but I feel like I'm going to be less likely to use it if it means having to deal with the processing box to get HDR content.

Depending in your Setup its a total non-issue. It takes me less than a minute to switch the HDMI (TV) cable from the box to the PS4 directly.

Depending in your Setup its a total non-issue. It takes me less than a minute to switch the HDMI (TV) cable from the box to the PS4 directly.

Those that swap the cable, why don’t you just implement a small switch box into the setup? It takes me a push of a button to switch to PSVR mode. Since I’m by my PS4 to plug in the headset it’s no added inconvenience.

(Guides are available all over on how to implement this setup)

Anarion07

Those that swap the cable, why don’t you just implement a small switch box into the setup? It takes me a push of a button to switch to PSVR mode. Since I’m by my PS4 to plug in the headset it’s no added inconvenience.

(Guides are available all over on how to implement this setup)

For me, personally, it's such a small inconvenience that doesn't even justify spending a couple of euros on it.

Really cool to see that they're addressing concerns like this. Not sure if there was a thread about it, but they also announced Move controllers that use micro-USB instead of mini-USB. I think we'll continue to see gradual improvements like this until they potentially give us the 2.0 version with the inevitable PS5.

That being said, I'm not sure what else they could "improve" now besides removing the processing box entirely. No way they're going to invest in new PS4 Pro/Slim models that do that.

____

Really cool to see that they're addressing concerns like this. Not sure if there was a thread about it, but they also announced Move controllers that use micro-USB instead of mini-USB. I think we'll continue to see gradual improvements like this until they potentially give us the 2.0 version with the inevitable PS5.

That being said, I'm not sure what else they could "improve" now besides removing the processing box entirely. No way they're going to invest in new PS4 Pro/Slim models that do that.

Haha, man I tore my apt apart looking for a mini-USB one night when I wanted to charge my controllers so a friend could try out PSVR. Had him use the DS4 instead, which he still enjoyed, but I felt he missed out on the full experience.

Then remembered months later I had bought a charging station for $5 that I completely forgot about.

That's nonsense nearly all PSVR games on the launch of the pro had pro support or within a few months. The boost mode makes very little difference and didn't come along until much later. No PSVR games at launch had framerate issues, those that got pro patched usually went from 60fps to 90fps and usually a rendering upgrade or resolution bump.

Hey, I'm just speaking from my experience which is admittedly not quite as extensive as it could be as I stopped using my PSVR regularly sometime after the Psychonauts VR game came out (I feel like there was a bit of a game drought before and after that game launched). Also, you (and looking at a list) helped jog my memory on some of this stuff. So I guess the reason I didn't remember many PSVR games having Pro support is because I dislike the bulk of the Pro enabled PSVR titles or because they were multiplayer focused games that I knew would almost immediately become ghost towns and thus I just played demos skipped buying those games.

The games that are IMO both good and have substantial Pro support are: Dirt Rally, Eagle Flight, Rez Infinite, Robinson: The Journey, Thumper, TrackMania Turbo (120fps) and what I was thinking of with Boost mode is PSVR Worlds which got a huge bump from Boost mode but then the Pro patch it got was kind of a mixed bag. Also, I've definitely played way more Pro enabled PSVR games than the ones mentioned above but they were often bad games (like Arizona Sunshine) or have bad VR support (like Bound) or were multiplayer focused games (like Battlezone) or the Pro support did little to the game (Until Dawn: Rush of Blood). So my point was definitely flawed but after being called out I wanted to explain my train of (flawed) logic.

Two cameras - twice the camera data to process, you'd need to two PS4's working together on that and only new or updated games made compatible with such a rare setup.
The HMD internals have probably been revised to reduce the number of parts and build complexity too.

Yeah, I assumed that two cameras would probably be too much for even the Pro but it's a shame that probably nothing can be done to improve tracking. To be fair, the tracking could certainly be worse (oddly the quality of the tracking can seemingly fluctuate pretty wildly from game to game) but I just wish that it was just a tiny bit better and more consistent than it is. Again, with all that said anyone interested in VR should get this because even with its shortcomings PSVR has some really cool games that do a great job of showing off the best stuff about VR

Top Bottom