• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated PSVR unit announced

joeblow

HDR pass through, plus some minor changes. Linky

Is there a new PlayStation VR model? How is it different?
A hardware update to PlayStation VR is being prepared. The new version, model number CUH-ZVR2, features an updated design that enables the stereo headphone cables to be integrated with the VR headset and a slimmer, streamlined connection cable. There’s also an updated Processor Unit that supports HDR pass through, enabling users to enjoy HDR-compatible PS4 content on a TV without having to disconnect the Processor Unit in between the TV and the PS4 system. This function can be used only when the VR headset is turned off.

When will the new PS VR model become available in North America? How much will it be?
We will share details on the launch timing in North America at a later date. The pricing of the PS VR bundles will remain the same.

How can I distinguish between the old PS VR headset and the new one when I’m purchasing?
The packaging for PlayStation VR will change slightly when the new model hits stores. To differentiate, look for the model number printed on the box. The previous PS VR’s model number is CUH-ZVR1, and the new PS VR’s model number is CUH-ZVR2. Also, the product image on the packaging will be updated to show changes on the new model, like the integrated headphones on the VR headset.

If I already own a PS VR, can I swap out my old Processor Unit with the updated one?
Because the cables of CUH-ZVR1 and CUH-ZVR2 are different, you cannot swap the Processor Units.

Are the PS VR games I already own compatible with the new model?
Yes, all PS VR games are compatible with both PS VR models.

Hanmik

is there a new PlayStation VR model? How is it different?
A hardware update to PlayStation VR is being prepared. The new version, model number CUH-ZVR2, features an updated design that enables the stereo headphone cables to be integrated with the VR headset and a slimmer, streamlined connection cable. There's also an updated Processor Unit that supports HDR pass through, enabling users to enjoy HDR-compatible PS4 content on a TV without having to disconnect the Processor Unit in between the TV and the PS4 system. This function can be used only when the VR headset is turned off.

nice

Kalentan

Holy shit that HDR pass through might be worth the upgrade alone. I hate having to switch.

BUT this soon? It hasn't even been one year yet...

MadMod

Wonder how long it will be until we get a wireless version. Updated features seem good though. The less restricting the process the better.

raven777

DLHbx3hUMAA8sep.jpg:large

here is an image

Tagyhag

Lol I guess I shouldn't have expected "updated PSVR" to be "PSVR 2".

Some good fixes, but no one that owns the first one should be feeling bummed.

Hasney

oh for fuck sake

mines is obsolete already?

Holy shit that HDR pass through might be worth the upgrade alone. I hate having to switch.

BUT this soon? It hasn't even been one year yet...

HDR passthrough and different cables doesn't make anything obsolete. It's like the PS4 Slim didn't make anything obsolete.

So you get a new processing box thingy instead of a whole new headset. #obsolete

Because of the difference in cabling, that actually won't work as per the FAQ.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Wtf, I hope they will at least allow people to buy the processor unit separately, people with 4K/HDR TV’s that bought your expensive add on should not have to spend £349 to fix this issue...

Kalentan

This has HDR passthrough

Mine does not

I mean other than some slimming, headphone changes, and the HDR passthrough (all of which are nice), there appears to be no actual hardware improvements. Meaning someone using this new headset won't have any graphical changes.

HDR passthrough and different cables doesn't make anything obsolete. It's like the PS4 Slim didn't make anything obsolete.

I don't think mine's obsolete at all. I do hope there is some trade in discount or something cause I would love for mine to have the HDR passthrough.

But it needs to be a big one. Paid $500 for the bundle, hope I can get at least a little bit of a good deal.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice.

Just picked up Faepoint bundle finally. Looking forward to trying it out.

Glad they fixed the HDR issue.

mr lurtle

Not a fan of build in headphones but the HDR passthrough would be nice. To bad you can't just get a new Processor unit.

Toki767

If I already own a PS VR, can I swap out my old Processor Unit with the updated one?
Because the cables of CUH-ZVR1 and CUH-ZVR2 are different, you cannot swap the Processor Units.

Old PSVR unit doesn't work with the new Processor Unit for HDR pass through.

That sucks.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

... sigh...

Oh c'mon. I really could've used the HDR passthrough.

Well, I guess it isn't THAT much of a pain to unplug the cable from my current box and plug it directly to the PS4 since I have them next to each other. But still, c'mon.

Kyoufu

Old PSVR unit doesn't work with the new Processor Unit for HDR pass through.

That sucks.

Which just goes to show how much of an oversight it was that the original processor box did not allow HDR passthrough. You fucked up there, Sony.

I hope Sony coaches stores to do a trade-in deal so I can exchange my PSVR with PSVR2 (the entire set, not just the PU). The effort it takes to rewire my console to the hardware unit every time I want to play a VR game, then re-wire it back so I can enjoy HDR games is a little too much.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The Japanese blog post mentions the release date in Japan (Oct 14th) and improved Move controllers, which will be sold at a later date.
New Move controllers will have micro usb and will be "improved" in some ways, but there are no details yet.

Edit:
About the move part - the phrasing they used could mean that they're improving the features or it could mean that the change to micro USB is the improved feature. Hard to tell, will have to wait for more details.

I hope Sony coaches stores to do a trade-in deal so I can exchange my PSVR with PSVR2 (the entire set, not just the PU). The effort it takes to rewire my console to the hardware unit every time I want to play a VR game, then re-wire it back so I can enjoy HDR games is a little too much.

Mines actually just unplugged right now what with the blackening screen when using with the Pro and lack of HDR I can't always be bothered unplugging it each time. Wonder if the new PU will solve the black screen issue too.

Nymo

Neo Member
DLHbx3hUMAA8sep.jpg:large

here is an image

What's that round button thing with a black triangular shape near the end of the cable on the back padding?

The rounded cable looks good, not sure how I feel about the stereo headset thing.

I don't have an HDR TV right now, so I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

joeblow

Not a fan of build in headphones but the HDR passthrough would be nice.

They are not built in. You still can use your own headset:
Q: Do I need new headphones to experience 3D audio?
No, any wired stereo headphones or wired earbuds can support 3D audio. Stereo headphones are included with PS VR, but you can also use your preferred audio headsets if they feature a standard 3.5mm male connector.

Assanova

So glad that I waited on this. I took one look at all of those cords, having to swap for HDR, and said nope. This announcement delights me.

for god sake just release Moves with analog sticks.

I’ve always wondered why they haven’t done this.

Um, hopefully they can release an updated Processor Unit to work with the older PSVR.

they can, but they won't would just be an additional item to sell and just an extension of life to the older headset.

Sell the old one, buy the new set in late October.

Tailzo

I miss my psvr, but it was impossible to find time to use it since I have a 3 year old daughter. I will be back in 10 years, maybe for ps vr 3? :)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Added a clarification to my post about the new Move, just so that people don't get too excited for nothing.

Really ? ffs Sony, so I have to buy a whole new one just to get HDR passthrough. Not the best solution really.

FingerBang

The Japanese blog post mentions the release date in Japan (Oct 14th) and improved Move controllers, which will be sold at a later date.
New Move controllers will have micro usb and will be "improved" in some ways, but there are no details yet.

...they'll have a f****ng analog stick, I tell you. I wish they fixed the awful tracking but I don't see that happening anytime soon...You cant really turn around much before the camera loses tracking of you.

I don't have a 4K HDR TV but this news pisses me off. Unfortunately, I'm in Japan so selling my unit would be a huge risk since even after a year it's almost impossible to find one at retail price.
Well, early adopters always get screwed in the end. We know that, no point in complaining.

Edit:

加えて、「PlayStation®Move モーションコントローラー」(PS Move)(CECH-ZCM2J)についてもその性能を一部見直し、接続端子をUSB(Micro B)に変更したPS4®専用モデルとして順次発売を予定しております。

Yeah, it basically says they will add a micro USB port instead of the old one and that it won't work for PS3.

However, it is highly possible Sony is working on a new controller/tracking system. Maybe it's just not ready yet.

Top Bottom