• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uplay and Watch_Dogs: Anyone Else Having Problems?

zma1013

Uplay is like having an angry leprechaun living with you. Everytime you want to do something fun, he punches you in the nuts and laughs in your face.

TimmiT

Do you have more than 100 friends? When AC4 came out on PS4, you couldn't connect to Uplay if you had more than 100 friends. I wonder if that glitch is in this game (really wouldn't surprise me)

Nope, and like someone else just pointed out it doesn't seem to be a friends list thing. Seems like it's just because the Uplay servers are down.

Currently maxing out my connection at 12,4MB/s!! YAY! Finally something good comes out of this mess..

edit: Realized it's too soon to be happy about this shit. It will probably go FUBAR when i try to play it.

LakeEarth

They offer pre-order bonuses to encourage people to buy the games at launch, but then they saddle the game with bullshit clients that can't handle the strain. Thus, discouraging us from buying the game at launch and sabotaging their own efforts.

OrangeOak

So many hours of waiting for a key,downloading,overclocking my poor cpu and I can't even see title screen of this game.
I would really like to play it now :)

I was a bit annoyed that I had to wait until 10AM today for it to be added to my account, but when I clicked "download", it downloaded in about 12 minutes. I was surprised, because it maxed out my connection constantly.

This evening though, I'm having issues logging into Uplay. When the client starts up, it sticks on the "checking for update" bit for ages, then it fails to log me in. I guess it's a traffic issue.

I wish Uplay and Origin would disappear though. For me, they have done nothing but get in the way. I can't imagine that there's many gamers who think "oh great, this game uses Uplay!", but I know there's a whole bunch who think "I wish Uplay would just feck off!".

dsk1210

I'm not trying to be a rude but if you admit the service isn't good, but still purchase products on it you are compromising your values and settling for a lesser experience.

It's like going to a restaurant where the service is terrible and rude, you wait ages for your food, sometimes they forget your order but you still go there because you appreciate the food. I don't blame you for doing that, sometimes I do that myself with other things, but with games which are just a form of entertainment, I give preference to the more stable services and the ones that give me the least hassle. If I have to jump through hoops, technical hurdles, server errors and terrible support I'd rather just take my money elsewhere.

That's a shitty analogy, what if that restaurant was the only place that sold a specific dish you like, do you never have that dish again.

sk3tch

I must have missed that half hour window when some of you got in and got the download resumed...still getting the same errors. :(

I'm not trying to be a rude but if you admit the service isn't good, but still purchase products on it you are compromising your values and settling for a lesser experience.

It's like going to a restaurant where the service is terrible and rude, you wait ages for your food, sometimes they forget your order but you still go there because you appreciate the food. I don't blame you for doing that, sometimes I do that myself with other things, but with games which are just a form of entertainment, I give preference to the more stable services and the ones that give me the least hassle. If I have to jump through hoops, technical hurdles, server errors and terrible support I'd rather just take my money elsewhere.

Of course you have a valid point - but my point is Watch_Dogs = Uplay...no matter what. The game is compelling to me, so, therefore...I'm forced into Uplay. I'm not settling for any lesser experience because there is no other choice if I want to play Watch_Dogs. Well, maybe - pirate the game? Which is hilarious. Pirates have been enjoying the game issue-free for days now. Haha.

Bluecondor

LOL - I can't play Watch Dogs right now (because of a sudden electrical storm here in Pittsburgh that has no end in sight) - but I will give UPlay a shot after I finally get to play the game.

I must have missed that half hour window when some of you got in and got the download resumed...still getting the same errors. :(

Of course you have a valid point - but my point is Watch_Dogs = Uplay...no matter what. The game is compelling to me, so, therefore...I'm forced into Uplay. I'm not settling for any lesser experience because there is no other choice if I want to play Watch_Dogs. Well, maybe - pirate the game? Which is hilarious. Pirates have been enjoying the game issue-free for days now. Haha.

I'm not going to vouch for piracy but the example you pointed out is just another example of how poor of a job Ubisoft is doing. When it's less cumbersome, faster and more trouble-free to resort to piracy to experience entertainment than it is to legally acquire a license to enjoy it, they have failed miserably as a company.

All I'm saying, to everyone here, is that if you accept Uplay is your only choice then you should expect the usual consequences. Complaining about it will not fix anything.

This thread basically boils down to: I gave Ubisoft money. Wow their service sucks so much. Can't wait to play their game.

It's a bit silly, if you ask me, but I guess most people want to wade in their technical sorrows rather than have someone annoying like me pointing out obvious facts.

Currently maxing out my connection at 12,4MB/s!! YAY! Finally something good comes out of this mess..

edit: Realized it's too soon to be happy about this shit. It will probably go FUBAR when i try to play it.

Okay, i knew i shouldn't have jinxed it.. The download is at 100%, yet it continues downloading.. Currently the ETA is in 1483889390 hours. FUCKING UPLAY! How many times?? First you wont let me connect to Uplay for i dont know how many hours.. Then you give me the shittiest download speeds i ever saw. Then the download speed finally picks up but the download NEVER STOPS EVEN THOUGH IT'S AT 100 PERCENT? I promise you one thing.. I will never buy a game that requires Uplay again.

edit: What should i do? Should i keep this fucking thing going or close the whole uplay with the risk of never being able to get in again?.. I just don't fucking know anymore?

sk3tch

This thread basically boils down to: I gave Ubisoft money. Wow their service sucks so much. Can't wait to play their game.

It's a bit silly, if you ask me, but I guess most people want to wade in their technical sorrows rather than have someone annoying like me pointing out obvious facts.

Oh, exactly. That's why I made it. To find out if I was alone or if others are having a problem. I have now found out that it is a universal issue (as I suspected). It's my first negative experience with Uplay. I had no reason to shy away from it before (other than I'd prefer to stick to 1-2 services i.e. Steam, Origin)...I've definitely learned a lesson here.

Dolor

Pretty much exactly my thoughts on this as well.

UrbanRats

I'm not going to vouch for piracy but the example you pointed out is just another example of how poor of a job Ubisoft is doing. When it's less cumbersome, faster and more trouble-free to resort to piracy to experience entertainment than it is to legally acquire a license to enjoy it, they have failed miserably as a company.

All I'm saying, to everyone here, is that if you accept Uplay is your only choice then you should expect the usual consequences. Complaining about it will not fix anything.

Uh.. i've never had a problem with UPlay before, so i didn't have problems giving them money, even if i didn't like the idea of everyone having their shitty launcher.
But if had that as a cut off, i wouldn't be buying any game on PC, since every other game uses Origin, Steam, UPlay, Rockstar social Network, SquareEnix Whatever and so on.

BTW still not working here.

R_Deckard

Just go in off-line mode, I have been on yesterday in Off-line mode no worries, fire it up through steam and let Uplay Client run.

Oooh I must have got lucky. Downloaded from Amazon and installed by 3am GMT this morning. Played it then fine. Played it later this afternoon offline fine as well. Missed a bullet there.

I hate to be "THAT GUY" but...

It's Launch Day.

Just about every game with some sort of online mode/requirement/DD is a mess on Launch Day.

It's usually ironed out within a week, if not 24 to 48 hours.

This is nothing new. Not for Ubisoft, not for EA, not for Blizzard, etc...

Popular games get crushed on launch day. This is par for the course. There are only very few exceptions.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Q0ge5Lm.jpg

been like this all day

sk3tch

It's Launch Day.

Just about every game with some sort of online mode/requirement/DD is a mess on Launch Day.

Popular games get crushed on launch day. This is par for the course. There are only very few exceptions.

I hear ya - but how does the "digital" future happen if on day one you can't even get what you bought?

Hasney

I'd probably avoid pre-ordering Ubi stuff until they've proven they can get their shit together. Don't forget, even a smaller game like Trials Fusion brought it to its knees for a bit, so it's not like it's going to be unprecedented demand alone.

dex3108

I hear ya - but how does the "digital" future happen if on day one you can't even get what you bought?

Biggest issue for online titles are servers. You cant buy too many servers because they will end up being useless after few months when player count goes down. Also servers need time to settle down after initial shock. So there will be day one server issues for foreseeable future.

sk3tch

Biggest issue for online titles are servers. You cant buy too many servers because they will end up being useless after few months when player count goes down. Also servers need time to settle down after initial shock. So there will be day one server issued for foreseeable future.

I understand that - but I can't even download my title. They could easily team with Amazon EC2, Akamai, etc. - to make sure their download servers are up to par.

The digital future is nothing more than saving a couple bucks on shipping.

That's how I see it anyway. Most of the time, you don't even get a "discount" on giving up the physical materials in lieu of just downloading the raw game data.

Devildoll

Yeah, borked for me too, i had some trouble getting in earlier today too, but when i actually got in to download the game, it was going full speed ~11 MB/s

I'm trying to figure out if this is regional or global.

I'm in Sweden myself.

It's Launch Day.

This is a bit different in my opinion.
This is like not being able to log into the entirety of steam, because one game happens to be released today.

Uplay and origin are entirely redundant, i wish they would just go back to Steam.

Namikaze1

Can't connect to it on my PS4. I said fuck it and kept playing. Though now the game annoys me with the "Can't connect to Uplay." pop up in the corner.

bakeray

Spent 30 mins trying to get it to queue up for download before I went to work, finally got in and started the download only to come home and find out it timed out halfway through and the game didn't install fully. Now I can't even log back in.

If you're going to develop an eco-system to compete with steam then you can't have these sorts of problems, you have to differentiate your product, or offer superior service in order to make your eco-system be viable, Ubi has so far not done either of these things. Companies are willing to throw absurd budgets into marketing but they view overpaying for server capacity to handle the initial load so that consumers can enjoy their product as a waste of money. I've given companies the benefit of the doubt for many years, but with the types of budgets they're spending on games now I find it hard to feel sorry for them anymore.

I'm sure I will be able to finish the download and play by the end of the evening but the fact of the matter is this is something that people need to figure out a solution to because it's happened for pretty much every single big time release over the course of the last 2-3 years.

SHL23

Banned
got in, activated my keys, tried to dl. some stupid error. exit try again. same thing. try again. cant even get back on

b0bbyJ03

Downloaded super fast through origin, then it redirected me to uplay where I patched and played for a bit, but now it seems uplay is down. Hope my save is okay.

i also purchased through origin. Once i download will i be able to play offline without setting up a uplay account?

Sajjaja

Hasn't been working for me all day. But I actually just managed to get Uplay online. Maybe it's up for everyone now?

MrBS

I took me several attempts to log in on PC this morning so I could get another hour of downloading in before work.

I'm curious when the servers recover does a player's online progress reset as promised by ubisoft when you disable the online options in game? Anyone?

Top Bottom