• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upset with no new Metroid? Welcome to the wonderful world of Super Metroid hacks!

Boney

Banned
The one and only problem I've ever had with any fan hack, especially some of the Metroid ones, is some of them are borderline impossible due to the difficulty. Maybe that's just me... Is there a good Metroid hack that isn't as demanding? Would love to give some of these a shot.

Metroid Redesign Axiel Edition is basically an easy mode which re edits some of the harder parts and also contains a toggeable hint system which pint points the map tile which you're supposed to go.

Couldn't speak for it as to the quality of it, but I really liked Vanilla redesign but it's definately a tough game, but nothing incredibly mind blowing. But as a rule of thumb, they're all going to be much harder than the original Super Metroid because they're made for players that have at the very least already beaten Super Metroid.

http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=205

Meesh

Metroid Redesign Axiel Edition is basically an easy mode which re edits some of the harder parts and also contains a toggeable hint system which pint points the map tile which you're supposed to go.

Couldn't speak for it as to the quality of it, but I really liked Vanilla redesign but it's definately a tough game, but nothing incredibly mind blowing. But as a rule of thumb, they're all going to be much harder than the original Super Metroid because they're made for players that have at the very least already beaten Super Metroid.

http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=205
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I'm familiar with some of the hacks you posted, I guess it sorta shows my age though, lol. I beat Super as a kid, but that was when I was used to twitch gaming (mostly Mega Man), memorizing enemy patterns, pouring hours into practicing that wall jump and almost as much time bomb jumping lol.( in ball mode) Games in general had a certain difficulty back then (as you know) of course, and as a kid you didn't mind waging a little war to earn that "Nintendo thumb". These days I'm almost less inclined to put that kind of dedication into retro gaming...but like I said I'll look into your recommendations. Heck, you never know I might enjoy some of them more than I think.

As a side note I've developed a habit of purchasing rom hacks on cartridge, it's great to play some of these games on original hardware with the added benefit of feeling like you're doing it again for the first time. It's a little expensive, but worth it considering I hold retro game nights with the kids from time to time :)
Currently in my small rom hack collection:
FF VI Eternal Crystals.
FF VI Return of the Dark Sorcerer.
FF II Unprecedented Crisis.
Star Ocean.
Breath of Fire II Retranslation.
DQ VI.
Mother 2 Uncut.

So I'll be looking for a solid Metroid rom hack to add as I'm obviously RPG heavy :)

MilkBeard

Ok, I'm sort of cheating here since it's a Metroid 1 hack but god damn if it doesn't look amazing.

It's called Metroid Rogue Dawn by Grimlock and it's almost near completion, just some little details regarding custom music is missing, so it's one to keep an eye out. See for yourself.

If you're interested you can try out his bite sized Metroid hack Metroid Incursion which should take between 1:30 and 2 hours to complete.

Let's try to get this thread to surpass the negative Federation Force threads when we can be playing amazing games instead of complaining!

Damn, Metroid Rogue Dawn looks amazing artistically. It doesn't look anything like Metroid I (in a good way, of course). Just by looking at it you could mistake it for a new classic sidescroller.

EDIT: Looking at more pictures, it looks like it uses graphics from other games, or at least is inspired by other games as well. I see some Castlevania influence in there.

Boney

Banned
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I'm familiar with some of the hacks you posted, I guess it sorta shows my age though, lol. I beat Super as a kid, but that was when I was used to twitch gaming (mostly Mega Man), memorizing enemy patterns, pouring hours into practicing that wall jump and almost as much time bomb jumping lol.( in ball mode) Games in general had a certain difficulty back then (as you know) of course, and as a kid you didn't mind waging a little war to earn that "Nintendo thumb". These days I'm almost less inclined to put that kind of dedication into retro gaming...but like I said I'll look into your recommendations. Heck, you never know I might enjoy some of them more than I think.

As a side note I've developed a habit of purchasing rom hacks on cartridge, it's great to play some of these games on original hardware with the added benefit of feeling like you're doing it again for the first time. It's a little expensive, but worth it considering I hold retro game nights with the kids from time to time :)
Currently in my small rom hack collection:
FF VI Eternal Crystals.
FF VI Return of the Dark Sorcerer.
FF II Unprecedented Crisis.
Star Ocean.
Breath of Fire II Retranslation.
DQ VI.
Mother 2 Uncut.

So I'll be looking for a solid Metroid rom hack to add as I'm obviously RPG heavy :)
Seems you're more turned off at the idea of having to deal demanding twitch action/shooting. None of these hacks have that problem. The real problem like usual cracking the map design open and figuring out what you've missed to keep going. None of these hack require any of the advanced skills like the mockball.

Damn, Metroid Rogue Dawn looks amazing artistically. It doesn't look anything like Metroid I (in a good way, of course). Just by looking at it you could mistake it for a new classic sidescroller.

EDIT: Looking at more pictures, it looks like it uses graphics from other games, or at least is inspired by other games as well. I see some Castlevania influence in there.
Yeah it's crazy, but the fact that it should be able to run on original hardware is what blows my mind the most.

nickerous

Nearly finished with my first play through of any super metroid hack with Hyper Metroid. I'm loving it. I've known about most of these hacks for years, but never got around to playing any. I explore a bit and if I get stuck, I consult a YouTube play through video. Only thing I have left to get is speed boost and screw attack. Super Metroid makes the player feel like such a bad ass after getting fully powered and I am getting the same feelings with Hyper Metroid that I had over 20 years ago with Super. Who needs federation force, I've got numerous new games to play right now. Never thought about getting federation force since I can't stand the prime game play (can't get into any fps game).

Now to decide what game to play after Hyper...maybe the zero mission one...

Boney

Banned
Nearly finished with my first play through of any super metroid hack with Hyper Metroid. I'm loving it. I've known about most of these hacks for years, but never got around to playing any. I explore a bit and if I get stuck, I consult a YouTube play through video. Only thing I have left to get is speed boost and screw attack. Super Metroid makes the player feel like such a bad ass after getting fully powered and I am getting the same feelings with Hyper Metroid that I had over 20 years ago with Super. Who needs federation force, I've got numerous new games to play right now. Never thought about getting federation force since I can't stand the prime game play (can't get into any fps game).

Hah! I was playing through Hyper Metroid as well this week and I'm around the same part, missing those two upgrades and Ridley and Draygon. I did get to Ridely a while back before getting the Gravity Suit and he kicked my ass BAD. Fight was amazing though and his god damn tail is brutal, was very well tweaked.

I loving it as well, and I haven't gotten lost lost yet, just a bit of figuring out at times. Map flows great despite the huge size of it, and the physic changes will make going back to vanilla Super Metroid a huge challenge.

I haven't added any hacks to the op because of the slow traffic, but other popular hacks are Eris 2012, Ice Metal Uninstall and Phazon.

Also, Rogue Dawn is on track for a July release so it's gonna be a fine 30th anniversary present.

Red

It's a mistake to think of Prime as an fps. Think of it more as a first person platformer. It diverges from typical FPS gameplay in fundamental ways. Combat is modeled more like 3D Zelda's Z-Targeting than anything in Halo or Call of Duty. It's more about exploration, at least in Prime 1 and 2.

Take Super Metroid, put the camera behind Samus' visor, and reduce her movement speed. That's Metroid Prime.

I can't speak about Federation Force of course. But the older Prime games are pretty faithful conversions from side scroller to first person adventure.

Boney

Banned
Whoop whoop!

yvcStvG.jpg

Loved it. It's very very well designed, not s single tile will make you scratch your head and break the immersion that you're playing a fan game. As mentioned before, project base is just exquisite and is just so smooth and allows you to go full speed all the time.

There's no huge backtracks at all since the map (as all good 2d action adventure games should) keeps you going in circles and moving forward by opening new shortcuts that keep leading you to your next destination with no hands held. I did get lost twice, first one undoubtably my fault, as I figured correctly the next step was the wrecked ship but missed the platform to land on to cross the gap and ended up taking a different route and going all over the map until I came back and smacked my forehead so bad. Second one was because I didn't realize that speed booster stays when you space jump in the opposite direction so I figured that speed boost floor should be broken from the other side.

Either way, was fantastic seriously recommended. It doesn't top Super as that was both a groundbreaking product for it's time and manages to provide more beginner and expert paths. Hyper Metroid feels a bit too big for it's own good despite the great map design that allows you to go from area to area easily and the smoother movement. Of course I should see an expert speed run and I might get my jaw to drop as well.

Fun stuff, recommended and shame on all those who make Federation Force threads reach 20 pages but don't want to actually play what they whine about wanting.

Top Bottom