• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US, Canada, and UK say they have intelligence that Iran shot down Ukraine jet.

Jun 9, 2004
usa
haiti.kreyol.com
#Irandidnothingwrong

Trump hate is truly blinding. I understand the cause and effect and all but that was Iran's fuck up Trump was smart not to move against Iran after the plane went down or they would have said US shot it down.

That attack was a shit show but a lot of people are Trump blind and would allow Iran a pass just to blame Trump

Reactions: Shaqazooloo

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
When you seek revenge things can happen. Iran didn't need to fire a bunch of missiles into empty air bases to flex. Now 180 people are dead because the Mullaha's needed to save face.

I bet in Iran they probably are saying the plane was empty and no one died. Just like they killed 80 American's amrite.

redfirm

Mar 12, 2012
Netherlands
this is so fucking sad. I already said i would visit iran no more after the recent protests, if iran does not take responsibility. i will write the country off the map till something changes. my family in canada had friends on that plane.

Last edited:
Reactions: pramod

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
this is so fucking sad. I already said i would visit iran no more after the recent protests, if iran does not take responsibility. i will write the country off the map till something changes. my family in canada had friends on that plane.
Well, the word is that they are already bulldozing the crash site now and the black box was damaged, so I don't know about taking responsibility. It doesn't look like they will even pretend to do an actual investigation.

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015
Insane just like this dutch airplane that was shot down in ukraine

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Well, the word is that they are already bulldozing the crash site now and the black box was damaged, so I don't know about taking responsibility. It doesn't look like they will even pretend to do an actual investigation.

• Triggered
Oct 26, 2018
Well, well, well.

No wonder Iran stopped shooting missiles at US bases. The realized they shot down a passenger plane, and then called it quits.

Good to see Trudeau get on the mic and denounce it. This kind of thing the US is always expected to take the lead, and also absorb any punches from anti-US people.

This time, Trudeau had the balls (finally Justin) to step up and lead for once, instead of taking a backseat to the US or UK.

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I could understand at first fog of war etc that Iran wouldn't jump the gun and say it was their SAM, but now they need to fess up and take ownership of the situation.

But who am I kidding they will blame it on JOOOSE er I mean Zionists. You see it was really Israel that fired the SAM from Tel Aviv, or it was a Mossad spy working the controls that day.

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
Oct 26, 2018
A very real scenario that I heard earlier. Iran intentionally shot down the plane because it intended for the US to respond. They then could blame it on the US and Trump being unhinged.

But of course the US never responded to the "attacks" so now they're fucked.
Hard to believe, but not impossible.

Anytime an airplane gets shot down or hijaked, you can never count out middle eastern wackos from using airlines for cattle. Or someone from Russia (or a former Russian republic) did something stupid. Only in that part of the world do you get hostile aircraft wars. And when the hostility in on foreign soil (like 9/11), it's still based on people from the mid east.

They love their airplane games.

The best thing for Trump to do (which I hope he does) is just play it cool. Just sit back and be nice about an investigation. But no "hit the red button" strikes back. If he launches a war, then all eyes will shift to the US. Be the cool headed guy and Iran get lambasted by the rest of the world (including it's own people for killing Iran citizens). Even Trudeau spoke up, so for once the US should just sit back and watch. It doesn't sound like there were even any Americans on the plane.

I wonder what the Iran and Middle East media are doing. Are they state sponsored BS saying the US did it?

Or are there free articles saying the Iran might have government shot it down and other countries are coming after them?

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: dolabla

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Anytime an airplane gets shot down or hijaked, you can never count out middle eastern wackos from using airlines for cattle.

The best thing for Trump to do (which I hope he does) is just play it cool. Just sit back and be ice about an investigation. But no "hit the red button" strikes back. Be the cool headed guy and Iran get lambasted by the rest of the world (including it's own people for killing Iran citizens). Even Trudeau spoke up, so for once the US should just sit back and watch.

I wonder what the Iran and Middle East media are doing. Are they state sponsored BS saying the US did it?

Or are there free articles saying the Iran might have government shot it down and other countries are coming after them?
Probably Sunni countries like Saudi will spin it as Iran's fault and might entertain theories of it being intentional. Shiite countries like Qatar (Al Jazeera) and Lebanon/Syria will parrot whatever Iran says. Iran will continue to maintain its an accident untill all evidence is destroyed and then probably pivot to blaming Israel somehow.

Oct 26, 2018
Amazing how they would mistake a passenger plane taking off from an Iran airport too. Talk about itchy trigger fingers.

It's not like the target was a group of mach speed jet fighters blazing in from across the border.

Not really surprised. Look what happened during the funeral of the general. At last count, something like 56 died due to trampling and over 200 were injured too.

Take a chill pill Iranians. Not everything in life requires hitting the panic button.

Last edited:

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013

Anytime an airplane gets shot down or hijaked, you can never count out middle eastern wackos from using airlines for cattle. Or someone from Russia (or a former Russian republic) did something stupid. Only in that part of the world do you get hostile aircraft wars. And when the hostility in on foreign soil (like 9/11), it's still based on people from the mid east.

They love their airplane games.

The best thing for Trump to do (which I hope he does) is just play it cool. Just sit back and be nice about an investigation. But no "hit the red button" strikes back. If he launches a war, then all eyes will shift to the US. Be the cool headed guy and Iran get lambasted by the rest of the world (including it's own people for killing Iran citizens). Even Trudeau spoke up, so for once the US should just sit back and watch. It doesn't sound like there were even any Americans on the plane.

I think it's definitely a very possible scenario especially since they didn't ground flights. That will always be the question, why was this plane flying in that environment? Either they were extremely incompetent for allowing them to do so, or they were up to no good.

Yep, I agree Trump should just sit back and let things play out.

Oct 26, 2018
I think it's definitely a very possible scenario especially since they didn't ground flights. That will always be the question, why was this plane flying in that environment? Either they were extremely incompetent for allowing them to do so, or they were up to no good.

Yep, I agree Trump should just sit back and let things play out.
I have no idea how good foreign military equipment is, but even if the plane wasn't supposed to be there, aren't radar systems supposed to good enough to tell the difference between passenger planes and jet fighters?

Or is every airplane in the sky the same dot, and nobody has a clue whether it's a jet, passenger plane, helicopter, or Good Year blimp?

Reactions: cryptoadam

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
I could understand at first fog of war etc that Iran wouldn't jump the gun and say it was their SAM, but now they need to fess up and take ownership of the situation.

But who am I kidding they will blame it on JOOOSE er I mean Zionists. You see it was really Israel that fired the SAM from Tel Aviv, or it was a Mossad spy working the controls that day.
If they don't fess up, it will quite an unprecedented event in the history of aviation.

I mean there has been controversial investigations where there has been disagreements, where a country didn't want to blame their pilots, etc...but this is on a completely different level. And we're not talking about some rogue militia who did this, this is the official government/military of Iran. Aren't they supposed to have some degree of accountability? Like someone said, if they don't fess up then why shouldn't the world just write them off? How do you consider such a government still valid? Whose interests do they represent, really?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Any military or pilots on here? How easy is it to mistake a plane taking OFF from your own capital as an enemy plane? And its not like the plane was in the air for hours, it had just taken off.

The more I think about it the more odd it seems. A plane takes off from your own territory and within minutes its shot down? I could understand if it took off from Iraq or was flying over Iraq/Iran or something. But to shoot a plane down flying from your own airport within minutes does seem like more than a blunder.

I ain't no aviator or radar guy so maybe there is more to it? Maybe they just see blips and couldn't tell where it took off from?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
If they don't fess up, it will quite an unprecedented event in the history of aviation.

I mean there has been controversial investigations where there has been disagreements, where a country didn't want to blame their pilots, etc...but this is on a completely different level. And we're not talking about some rogue militia who did this, this is the official government/military of Iran. Aren't they supposed to have some degree of accountability? Like someone said, if they don't fess up then why shouldn't the world just write them off? How do you consider such a government still valid? Whose interests do they represent, really?
I hope I am wrong but I can't see Iran admitting to this. They will find a way to blame Saudi's/Trump/Israel. Even if they admit it I am sure they will spin it that the person who authorized it was a US/Saudi/Jewish spy or some BS.

But I think they will deny deny deny and hope it goes away. Wouldn't surprise me if they had one of their proxies do some attack to distract the world so they can sweep this under the rug.

redfirm

Mar 12, 2012
Netherlands
Any military or pilots on here? How easy is it to mistake a plane taking OFF from your own capital as an enemy plane? And its not like the plane was in the air for hours, it had just taken off.

The more I think about it the more odd it seems. A plane takes off from your own territory and within minutes its shot down? I could understand if it took off from Iraq or was flying over Iraq/Iran or something. But to shoot a plane down flying from your own airport within minutes does seem like more than a blunder.

I ain't no aviator or radar guy so maybe there is more to it? Maybe they just see blips and couldn't tell where it took off from?
I talked to my friend, who designs military equipment here in the Netherlands. he said it is highly a mistake that could have a lot of reasons. the AA might not have been able to recognize the airplane because of things such as jammed signals, the airplane might have not broadcasted the right flight data, etc etc. Regardless of what happend, the command to fire has to be approved by a human on site or remote.

Last edited:

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
I have no idea how good foreign military equipment is, but even if the plane wasn't supposed to be there, aren't radar systems supposed to good enough to tell the difference between passenger planes and jet fighters?

Or is every airplane in the sky the same dot, and nobody has a clue whether it's a jet, passenger plane, helicopter, or Good Year blimp?
That's a good question. I'm not sure about it.

Oct 26, 2018

Since that part of the world has so many rebels and groups with military gear, couldn't the Iranian government just go into forever denial and claim it was terrorist organzations?

Even f debris shows it was from Iranian armies, they could just say it wasn't them and terrorists owned the gear.

redfirm

Mar 12, 2012
Netherlands
Since that part of the world has so many rebels and groups with military gear, couldn't the Iranian government just go into forever denial and claim it was terrorist organzations?

Even f debris shows it was from Iranian armies, they could just say it wasn't them and terrorists owned the gear.
no, since iran controls all the terrorist organisations in the middle east except isis.

Reactions: SoloKingRobert

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I talked to my friend, who designs military equipment here in the Netherlands. he said it is highly a mistake that could have a lot of reasons. the AA might not have been able to recognize the airplane because of things such as jammed signals, the airplane might have not broadcasted the right flight data, etc etc. Regardless of what happend, the command to fire has to be approved by a human on site or remote.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: redfirm
Oct 26, 2018
Regardless of what happend, the command to fire has to be approved by a human on site or remote.
That solves something I was thinking.

I was thinking a possibility is missiles were on some kind of automatic fire mode. So something messed up and it automatically launched against a passenger plane.

redfirm

Mar 12, 2012
Netherlands
That solves something I was thinking.

I was thinking a possibility is missiles were on some kind of automatic fire mode. So something messed up and it automatically launched against a passenger plane.
i think its exactly the opposite, otherwise more planes would have been shot down (if we assume data was jammed in the area). I think someone panicked and approved the launch thinking their base was about to get bombed. keep in mind, Multiple us airplanes where in air at the time(US knew about the attacks and movement of rocket launchers). Iran was in full panic mode.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Shaqazooloo
Oct 26, 2018
i think its exactly the opposite, otherwise more planes would have been shot down (if we assume data was jammed in the area). I think someone panicked and approved the launch thinking their base was about to get bombed. keep in mind, Multiple us airplanes where in air at the time(US knew about the attacks and movement of rocket launchers). Iran was in full panic mode.
Hmmmm.

Good to hear you and your friend's opinions on this. I have zero military experience, so I'm just winging opinions like most other people.

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013

No doubt now, not that there was any when you looked at shots of the wreckage.

Last edited:
Reactions: EviLore

Masta_Killah

Nov 14, 2006
Los Angeles

Not my area of expertise but from what I remember while trying to get my esws was that everything that was on radar had a specific signal, letting everyone know what it is.

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014

No doubt now, not that there was any when you looked at shots of the wreckage.
That video is edited though, the sound would come a few seconds after the boom. The raw one is the one I posted earlier.

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
i'll admit when this story first broke out I attributed it to an engine failure. after seeing the exploded missile, shrapnel on the plane, the radar loss shortly after takeoff, and iran saying they wouldn't hand over the black boxes outside their country, i knew something was up. big RIP. i do believe it was a mistake though.

edit: also, i'm not a fan of trump at all but for people to try to pin this on him is utter bullshit. this is 100% irans fault.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth
yes there’s a 99.99% they shot it down. Hopefully they own up to their mistake instead of taking the cowards way out. Even when we shot down their airliner we took responsibility for it.
own up to it, looks like they're actively doing the opposite with how hastily they've cleared the site.

Last edited: