• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US, Canada, and UK say they have intelligence that Iran shot down Ukraine jet.

Gp1

Sep 17, 2019
As we all said some time ago, the most probable scenario was some trigger happy IRGC commander

And this guys is why you have ROE.

Iran was caught red handed and the only way to deal was to take responsibility or be caught lying way ahead.

Also the crash site was not bulldozed, that's fake news. Ukrainian inspectors are there right now combing through the wreckage. They found the cockpit with a hole in it, where the missile struck.
sure?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
Not a big fan of the blame game despite the Missile coming from Iran.

Yes, they majorly fucked up by covering it up, but let's not forget why Iran wanted to retaliate against the US for it. (They wanted revenge)

Both sides are to blame for the many innocent lives lost and I don't find any Laughing Emote reactions acceptable for this thread personally.

I pray for the families of all who lost their family and spouses, regardless of where you come from. 👃👃👃👃👃

Shodan09

Jan 24, 2018

Yes, they majorly fucked up by covering it up, but let's not forget why Iran wanted to retaliate against the US for it. (They wanted revenge)

Both sides are to blame for the many innocent lives lost and I don't find any Laughing Emote reactions acceptable for this thread personally.

I pray for the families of all who lost their family and spouses, regardless of where you come from. 👃👃👃👃👃
The only people to blame are the ones that shot the plane down. End of.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005

This kind of thinking makes no sense.

It is Iran who shot the plane down. It is their fault. It's not a game, it is fact.

It is also not funny.

Pretty simple.

daemissary

Nov 19, 2011
Resetera has broken y’all’s brains.

Two things can be true:

1. Iran is wholly at fault for not verifying whether it was an enemy jet vs passenger plane full of civilians before shooting at it and whoever made that call should be held accountable.

2. Iran never would have made this mistake if we hadn’t escalated and even the republicans who aren’t bootlickers have admitted they’ve seen zero justification for the escalation in the congressional hearings.

It’s also rich that our government is pretending to care about civilian deaths and Iran’s coverup now when we constantly suppress information about how many civilians our drone strikes are killing in the Middle East. Spoiler: it is orders of magnitude more than 176.

We should be deescalating so everyone is less likely to kill innocent people. This shouldn’t be a controversial thing to say.

finowns

May 10, 2009
I don't think anyone is saying the US is solely to blame for this. Obviously Iran carries most of the blame.

The question is was Trump wise in doing what he did or was it reckless. Most people think he was reckless, even Tucker on Fox. Trump made a choice to escalate things with Iran, almost knowing for certain they would respond in some way. There is still no justification or explanation how killing 1 person suddenly disrupted so many pre-planned and coordinated attacks. This wasn't a show of strength, because Iran knows how powerful the US military is. Trump just wanted some headlines that he then quickly capitalized on for his upcoming campaign. Iran responded as everyone expected, and as these things go sometimes (US has also accidentally shot down a plane and apologized/paid for it, so I guess incompetence is widespread) collateral damage happens.

Trump is a reckless idiot with some of this blood on this hands, to think otherwise is ignorance.
He attacked a US Embassy what response do you think is appropriate for that on top of his many actions in Iraq before then?

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
There is nothing wrong with laughing about tragedy, especially when the events surrounding them are comedy.

The deaths of the people on the plane are a tragedy. The act of shooting down a civilian aircraft is horrific.

It is also fucking comedy gold to see Iran ether themselves. The schadenfreude I feel from this event for the mullahs and other camel ridin' turrists in Iran the purest distillate form known to mankind.

finowns

May 10, 2009

Way to go America.
‘Way to go America’ I would think this is just trolling but the madness and passion that Trump raises in people is real.

Ok fine the United States also wants ‘revenge’ if that’s justification enough.

Last edited:

finowns

May 10, 2009
Resetera has broken y’all’s brains.

Two things can be true:

1. Iran is wholly at fault for not verifying whether it was an enemy jet vs passenger plane full of civilians before shooting at it and whoever made that call should be held accountable.

2. Iran never would have made this mistake if we hadn’t escalated and even the republicans who aren’t bootlickers have admitted they’ve seen zero justification for the escalation in the congressional hearings.

It’s also rich that our government is pretending to care about civilian deaths and Iran’s coverup now when we constantly suppress information about how many civilians our drone strikes are killing in the Middle East. Spoiler: it is orders of magnitude more than 176.

We should be deescalating so everyone is less likely to kill innocent people. This shouldn’t be a controversial thing to say.
You act like this isn’t normal for the Iranian government to kill innocent people you should read up on their infamous prisons.

Also if you are gay in Iran you face death but if you wish to avoid it you can have ‘sex reassignment surgery’ Iran has the most such surgeries in the world except for Thailand.

Their government is bonkers.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam

greyshark

Feb 15, 2011
St. Louis
And now the government is tear gassing their own citizens because they’ve started to protest. This situation is a complete disaster for Iran.

Reactions: Grinchy

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013

Protests with chants of "death to liars" and calls for the ayatollah to resign. Probably won't get too far but still it's great how they completely failed to "get revenge" and instead killed a bunch of their own people, not to mention those that died during that stampede too.

dkny1121

Mar 23, 2018
Imagine being such haters of Trump that retaliating against terrorists that just fucken attacked the US embassy and had plans for more, are innocent victims.

This is on Iran 100% those idiots never should have attacked empty allied bases that night.

Pathetic.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
It won't happen but imagine if this brought down the Ayatollahs. On one hand I would want Iranians to continue to protest, but OTOH I don't want another 1500 dead.

Hotspurr

Jan 27, 2018
He attacked a US Embassy what response do you think is appropriate for that on top of his many actions in Iraq before then?
Perhaps as a first step diplomacy.
Then sanctions.
Then destroying strategic locations like weapons cache, rocket silos, bases, etc, you know, things that would actually be relevant in mounting an attack

Killing 1 high ranking dude who was supposedly going to carry out "imminent" attacks (by himself??) was just plain dumb. The overwhelming sentiment across the US was that Trump's move was dumb.

And who did he attack? You know religion is basically mental cancer, and Islam is by far the worst. These people go to mecca and trample each other dead in hopes to serve their version of the invisible Man in the sky. This mentally translates to just about anything, whether it's suicide bombing, jihad's, or their plan for the eventual Islamic conquest. So when you attack one of their top leaders it's like kicking a rabid dog in the ribs. Quite frankly I'm amazed the fallout was as mild as it was. Still, innocent people died because Trump felt he needed to make a statement and decided to hit a bees nest with a stick.

Disclaimer: there are plenty of good and reasonable Muslim people, but the religious fanatics who support hardcore regressive Islamic regimes would be better off never setting foot in Western nations

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
And it wouldn't have happened if they hadn't orchestrated an a assault on our embassy. How far are we allowed to go back?

I get a kick out of people who---after 40 years of failed diplomacy with Iran---say we should have tried diplomacy with Iran. Bill Clinton threw so many olive branches at them that they probably didn't need firewood for a decade.

Iran isn't interested in diplomacy. Obama tried bribing... err I mean diplomacy. What did Iran do? The same shit they've been doing for 4 decades. Did sending all that money back to them, allowing them to have a civilian nuclear program and relaxing sanctions change Iran or Soleimani's behavior for the better? NOPE. What more did we need to give them, a reach around?

There are too many idiots operating under the mistaken assumption that Iran's leadership wants peace in the middle east. They don't. They want Islamic Revolution to sweep the region, toppling every country that disagrees with their sect, conveniently leaving them the dominant power of the region so they can focus their efforts to spread the Islamic Revolution outwards.

You don't negotiate with that. You look it in the eye and draw a line.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Then sanctions.
Then destroying strategic locations like weapons cache, rocket silos, bases, etc, you know, things that would actually be relevant in mounting an attack
Has already been done.

Still, innocent people died because Trump felt he needed to make a statement and decided to hit a bees nest with a stick.
Cut out the rest, but the truth is that innocents died because IRAN felt it needed to make a statement. IRAN felt it needed to fire missles into empty US air bases in a foreign country that they warned the US about beforehand. They knew no one would get hurt its the ulitmate making a statement. So IRAN wanted to make a statement and due to their desire to appear strong on the world stage and to their sheeple they ended up shooting down a passenger plane.

This is all because IRAN wanted to look tough and wanted revenge. They wanted to make a statement and in the end they killed 180 innocent people due to their incompetence. No one told Iran to fire into Iraq, no one told Iran not to ground planes when they were doing this and no one else told Iran to fire at this plane.

Imagine if instead of killing Salamiman Trump order a missle that hit a wedding convey and killed 50 innocent people, would you say Iran was responsible for escelating with its killing of a US contractor and attack on the Embassy? Somehow I highly doubt it.

highrider

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
Imagine being such haters of Trump that retaliating against terrorists that just fucken attacked the US embassy and had plans for more, are innocent victims.

This is on Iran 100% those idiots never should have attacked empty allied bases that night.

Pathetic.
Right?!

It’s unfortunate and sad about this civilian aircraft, but it’s time for Canada to show everyone how successful they can be diplomatically. You’re on Mr. Holier than Thou Blackface. Personally I think Iran deserves zero respect and all of the other wimp nations are free to walk on eggshells around them, but I’d be completely fine with bombing them in to the Stone Age. There’s no reasoning with religious zealots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ikutachi

finowns

May 10, 2009
Then sanctions.

Killing 1 high ranking dude who was supposedly going to carry out "imminent" attacks (by himself??) was just plain dumb. The overwhelming sentiment across the US was that Trump's move was dumb.

And who did he attack? You know religion is basically mental cancer, and Islam is by far the worst. These people go to mecca and trample each other dead in hopes to serve their version of the invisible Man in the sky. This mentally translates to just about anything, whether it's suicide bombing, jihad's, or their plan for the eventual Islamic conquest. So when you attack one of their top leaders it's like kicking a rabid dog in the ribs. Quite frankly I'm amazed the fallout was as mild as it was. Still, innocent people died because Trump felt he needed to make a statement and decided to hit a bees nest with a stick.

Disclaimer: there are plenty of good and reasonable Muslim people, but the religious fanatics who support hardcore regressive Islamic regimes would be better off never setting foot in Western nations
So, try diplomacy, and then sanction Iran, who are already sanctioned, and then blow up an Iranian base. It could work.

Last edited:

finowns

May 10, 2009
It's a worthwhile comparison.

Both instances are about leaders who start messes because of pride and ego.
But the Serb, who killed the Archduke, got everything he could imagine and more with the destruction of the Austro-Hungarian empire. So what does that history lesson actually prove?

Last edited:

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
I wonder how the Iranian regime gets out of this one. If this was any other normal government theres no way it survives having been found out it tried to lie and cover up killing 200 of its own people. But then this is a religious dictatorship so who knows. But at least the Iranians all know now that their leadership does not care about the people but only their own reputation and survival.

dkny1121

Mar 23, 2018
I wonder how the Iranian regime gets out of this one. If this was any other normal government theres no way it survives having been found out it tried to lie and cover up killing 200 of its own people. But then this is a religious dictatorship so who knows. But at least the Iranians all know now that their leadership does not care about the people but only their own reputation and survival.
Was not there own people, there were 57 Canadians. Problem is Canada's pm is a cuck and will only suggest Iran compensate the families

Hotspurr

Jan 27, 2018
Well, this is kinda messed.
Many Iranians are protesting about the plane crash lies and are calling for the Ayatollah to step down. Good for them. A lot of these middle eastern nations are fairly split between pro and anti regime, Turkey is similar.
I guess this ended up being a win-win for Trump, one dead bad guy and a political shit storm in Iran. The domestic criticism he couldn't care less about at this point, he has a very stable and devoted flock.

Reactions: pramod

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I guess this ended up being a win-win for Trump, one dead bad guy and a political shit storm in Iran. The domestic criticism he couldn't care less about at this point, he has a very stable and devoted flock.
The domestic criticism is from a tiny group of deluded crazy-left that would never vote for him anyway. They just make themselves look retarded in the eyes of normal people and if nothing else possibly push some centre-left voters to vote trump next time since they do not want to be associated with this level of retard.

Feb 22, 2018
China
Well, this is kinda messed.
Many Iranians are protesting about the plane crash lies and are calling for the Ayatollah to step down. Good for them. A lot of these middle eastern nations are fairly split between pro and anti regime, Turkey is similar.
'hundreds of protesters' Iran was dealing with a near-insurrection (tens of thousands of factional protesters engaging in daily mass protests) until trump targeted the country's most popular guy. Now its dealing with a plane crash and western fake media. Not even close. Trump stabilized Iran.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2013
There is nothing wrong with laughing about tragedy, especially when the events surrounding them are comedy.

The deaths of the people on the plane are a tragedy. The act of shooting down a civilian aircraft is horrific.

It is also fucking comedy gold to see Iran ether themselves. The schadenfreude I feel from this event for the mullahs and other camel ridin' turrists in Iran the purest distillate form known to mankind.
To put Iran's comedy into perspective:

146 Iranians killed from Iran's "oopsies" missile strike + another 56 that died from a funeral stampede. That an Iranian-on-Iranian death count of 203.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
To put Iran's comedy into perspective:

146 Iranians killed from Iran's "oopsies" missile strike + another 56 that died from a funeral stampede. That an Iranian-on-Iranian death count of 203.
Iran crowing about Iran Air 655 is ironic enough when they kill peaceful protestors by the hundreds. This just shot the sails out of their propaganda, and once again Trump, comes out on top. Especially if this whole series of events serves as the catalyst to dethrone Khomeini, which judging by the protests that are happening, even among the conservatives in Iran seems like a possibility.

I mean, the looney bastards arrested the British Ambassador, which is a violation of international law.

Last edited:

finowns

May 10, 2009
'hundreds of protesters' Iran was dealing with a near-insurrection (tens of thousands of factional protesters engaging in daily mass protests) until trump targeted the country's most popular guy. Now its dealing with a plane crash and western fake media. Not even close. Trump stabilized Iran.
I’m going to use this when people are bitching about Trump. ‘He stabilized Iran you fool!’

Jun 26, 2013
Iran crowing about Iran Air 655 is ironic enough when they kill peaceful protestors by the hundreds. This just shot the sails out of their propaganda, and once again Trump, comes out on top. Especially if this whole series of events serves as the catalyst to dethrone Khomeini, which judging by the protests that are happening, even among the conservatives in Iran seems like a possibility.
Whether that would establish much needed change to Iran remains to be seen. However, considering that the Iranian government is already extremely fundamentalist, the worst case scenario would technically be a lateral move. For the US, it was a net win as an Iranian terrorist operative is gone.

Feb 22, 2018
China

I mean, the looney bastards arrested the British Ambassador, which is a violation of international law.
Until we see photos of hundreds of dead protesters, this is once again propaganda from a different source. Kind of like how 8 full time anti-china guys not even in china determined that millions of uighurs are being detained in camps in western china. The reality probably differs dramatically from their claims. As does the reality in Iran regarding your claims.

Once again, Trump benefits Iran, Russia, China etc. He's a great president for every country besides the US.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
A “plane crash” eh.

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
Until we see photos of hundreds of dead protesters, this is once again propaganda from a different source. Kind of like how 8 full time anti-china guys not even in china determined that millions of uighurs are being detained in camps in western china. The reality probably differs dramatically from their claims. As does the reality in Iran regarding your claims.

Once again, Trump benefits Iran, Russia, China etc. He's a great president for every country besides the US.
Fuck off PRC shill.

Last edited:
Reactions: pramod
Feb 22, 2018
China
Operation 'enduring freedom' eh

Everything can be blamed on America starting in 2001, and on every subsequent administration for keeping the circus in business instead of just bailing. Even trump can't/won't disengage from this enduring disaster that has spawned the likes of isis, additional wars in the me, killed milions, displaced millions and ensured that Iran is perpetually on the edge of military action with the usual suspects. Thus an airliner was mistaken for an American cruise missile. Tends to happen when American cruise missiles are the norm in the region.

Enduring indeed.

As for the Falun gong shills among us, please stop supporting actual death cults and their propaganda spam guys, it ain't civilized. The west Funneling weapons to isis and al qaeda in syria was bad enough. Let's not spread this sickness to yet another region. You can tell who they are by how emotional and uncouth they get with their responses.

Last edited:
  • LOL
  • Triggered
Reactions: pramod and Cybrwzrd

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014

Everything can be blamed on America starting in 2001, and on every subsequent administration for keeping the circus in business instead of just bailing. Even trump can't/won't disengage from this enduring disaster that has spawned the likes of isis, additional wars in the me, killed milions, displaced millions and ensured that Iran is perpetually on the edge of military action with the usual suspects. Thus an airliner was mistaken for an American cruise missile. Tends to happen when American cruise missiles are the norm in the region.

Enduring indeed.

As for the Falun gong shills among us, please stop supporting actual death cults and their propaganda spam guys, it ain't civilized. The west Funneling weapons to isis and al qaeda in syria was bad enough. Let's not spread this sickness to yet another region. You can tell who they are by how emotional and uncouth they get with their responses.
I blame President Carter for not backing the Shah and letting Islamists gain a foothold in Iran, because of his bumbling support of Communists like yourself.

This history goes back to the British and Russian invasion of Iran, and likely before that. Iran would look like South Korea today had we kept the Shah in power, and would be a beacon of Democracy and Secularism in the Middle East.

Feb 22, 2018
China
British and Russian invasion of Iran was a temporary maneuver to keep them out of WW2 on axis side. The true meddling began in the 1950's.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
When's the last time time we attacked an embassy? When's the last time we had somebody in charge of setting up militias to kill our enemies, citizens of our allies who aren't of the proper race/religious sect, and even our own people if they show the slightest bit of unrest? When's the last time we put mines in the Strait of Hormuz or the gulf? How about the last time we illegally seized tankers in the gulf? How about the last time we attacked Saudi oilfields with a combined drone and missile attack?
When's the last time we started a war?

Grinchy

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2010
a cave outside of Whoville.

Pathetic.
Don't forget, the attack on the embassy is also America's fault, because America started it in some other point in history. It all comes back to Iran not being responsible for any of their own actions, and you have to point.it.all.out.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam
Feb 25, 2013

Enduring indeed.

Why stop there? If we play the blame game by these rules we can just keep going back further and further till we get to the Neanderthals and place blame there. In which case, it seems like you would have a lot of reparations to owe.

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
British and Russian invasion of Iran was a temporary maneuver to keep them out of WW2 on axis side. The true meddling began in the 1950's.
I'm not saying the invasion of Iran was wrong, I am saying it was a contributing factor. It was at best, morally gray, and in a time of total war, you have to do some bad things to win. The problem is that the British afterwards got butthurt that they lost their rights to the oil there when a communist sympathizer took power in an attempt for dictatorship in the power vacuum that ensued. This caused them to put a destructive embargo on Iran, and the US had to step in to mediate. When a pro western leader was assisted to get into power, the US failed to hold up their end of the bargain when a communist and Islamist sympathizer of a President allowed our friend to be dethroned because he wasn't nice to commies and Islamists.

Reactions: Chairman Tickles