US Defense Secretary Mattis Resigns

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
As he says

"Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defence whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down," Gen Mattis wrote.

Oh no. Our president isn't a warmonger.

Probably for the best that he steps down, then. Cue the sudden praise for "Mad Dog Mattis" from the usual suspects.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
You're right, he's worse: a traitor. His foreign policy and military strategy have been the benefit to everyone except the US and its allies.
Like I've said elsewhere, "why does the USA keep disrespecting its allies?" gets trotted out whenever countries want us to do the dirty work, but then we get labeled for warmongering.

Sorry, but I place the lives of human beings and the reduction of armed conflict much higher on the list of priorities than playing the dumb brute for cleaning up Europe's colonial mistakes like we've been doing for the past ~80 years.

Nov 1, 2017
As he says

"Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defence whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down," Gen Mattis wrote.

Probably for the best that he steps down, then. Cue the sudden praise for "Mad Dog Mattis" from the usual suspects.
Seems to me is isn't a fan on Trump pulling out US troops of the Middle East, and doesn't look like he's going to get to wage a war in Korea either.

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
Like I've said elsewhere, "why does the USA keep disrespecting its allies?" gets trotted out whenever countries want us to do the dirty work, but then we get labeled for warmongering.

Sorry, but I place the lives of human beings and the reduction of armed conflict much higher on the list of priorities than playing the dumb brute for cleaning up Europe's colonial mistakes like we've been doing for the past ~80 years.
Trump needs to go try and destroy some countries like Libya, Syria, Egypt and maybe he will no longer be a "traitor" and he can also get a Nobel Peace prize out of it.

Wulfric

Nov 17, 2014
His resignation letter is scathing. The idea that Mattis and Trump's views on allies and mutal respect differ is quite frightening.

Last edited:

Raven117

Oct 5, 2015
Mattis was one of the few people up there that I took comfort in. I knew that with Mattis up there, nothing crazy was going to happen.

He is now gone....and that is concerning to me.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
This is the one resignation that stings a bit. Yikes.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Aug 15, 2007
Yes, Democrats are the war mongers because they don't think it's a good idea to abruptly abandon the messes we helped create around the world, confusing and isolating our allies and delighting the likes of Putin and Erdogan.

TheShadowLord

Jan 7, 2018
Trump needs to go try and destroy some countries like Libya, Syria, Egypt and maybe he will no longer be a "traitor" and he can also get a Nobel Peace prize out of it.
Then he should have listened to Mattis. We wouldn't even go after Assad, just to contain the Islamic State

MrTickles

Feb 22, 2018
Trump pulls out of Syria, this guy resigns a day later. Coincy dance :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

nephilimdj

Jan 31, 2011
Straya
Seriously should be celebrated, Obama did a Bush and put bases in Syria, sending out CIA with blank cheques to pay terrorists
Most likely lost Billions for nothing.

Yet people are upset USA gov has to pay 50,000 troops to stay near the Mexican border.

Last edited:

DasPenguin

Jul 31, 2014
Finland
Seriously should be celebrated, Obama did a Bush and put bases in Syria, sending out CIA with blank cheques to pay terrorists
Most likely lost Billions for nothing.

Yet people are upset USA gov has to pay 50,000 troops to stay near the Mexican border.
The thanks Obama and whatabout crew is hard at work again.

At least he didn’t lose trillions in Iraqi desert. The money buried in that shitshow would’ve fixed your educational system and paid for healthcare for decades. But no, war on terror, that increased terrorism by tenfold. Funny how that tends to happen when you accidentally kill six figures worth of civilians in a decade. I guess it was those darn democrats who started that one as well.

gohepcat

Jul 12, 2004
Mattis was one of the few people up there that I took comfort in. I knew that with Mattis up there, nothing crazy was going to happen.

He is now gone....and that is concerning to me.
Yup. One less grown-up. He was a pretty measured guy by all accounts.

Composer

Oct 2, 2015
Lolol. What a 180 Trumpets are doing. What happened to all that love for Mad Dog Mattis and us raining hell on Isis. "Oh no we hated Mattis all along!!!1". Right...

Trump shoots himself in the foot to enable Democrat policies. Hey, I'll take it.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Lolol. What a 180 Trumpets are doing. What happened to all that love for Mad Dog Mattis and us raining hell on Isis. "Oh no we hated Mattis all along!!!1". Right...
You'll have to go on a case-by-case basis. Everyone in the military is compromised - we aren't going to reign it in until we put outsiders in charge of it.

Nov 1, 2017

Trump shoots himself in the foot to enable Democrat policies. Hey, I'll take it.

I don't know where you are getting this.. over on /r/The_Donald they are thanking him for his service and wishing him well.

Mattis just doesnt align with Trumps de-militarization of the Middle East, ISIS have been decimated and troops withdrawing, rumors are Afghanistan is next.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
Orange man can’t win. Pulls Americans out of foreign combat and still gets shit on by all the lefties because someone resigns

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Good for Mattis. You either believe that America has interests in the region worth a military presence or you don't. You either believe the US has treaty obligations, or you don't. You either believe it is better to fight your battles on other continents whenever possible, or you don't. You either want to remain a world superpower or you don't.

If you line up strongly in the don't column then Trump's your man. If you don't then the last place you'll get anything done is in his administration. Don't stick around to get tarnished by the inevitable fallout.

Last edited:

Hesemonni

Banned
Feb 27, 2007
Finland
12 martyrdom points for you.

Mattis did little wrong during his tenure and pretty much nobody had any complaints on how he did his job. And now with Kelly and Tillerson gone he was seen as the last of the adults in the House.

gohepcat

Jul 12, 2004
Orange man can’t win. Pulls Americans out of foreign combat and still gets shit on by all the lefties because someone resigns
Is this really all you understand about this situation?
The vast majority of people's problem with Trump is that he doesn't listen to the advice of those who are experts in their fields.
You listen to your Scientists when you make decisions about science
You listen to Health Policy advisors when you make decisions about health policy.
..and you listen to you Generals and Intelligence communities about ongoing conflicts.

This is a particular problem because...and I don't know if you have noticed this...but he's incredibly fucking stupid. Like...shockingly fucking stupid. You should listen to him talk for like 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
The vast majority of people's problem with Trump is that he doesn't listen to the advice of those who are experts in their fields.
You listen to Health Policy advisors when you make decisions about health policy.
..and you listen to you Generals and Intelligence communities about ongoing conflicts.

This is a particular problem because...and I don't know if you have noticed this...but he's incredibly fucking stupid. Like...shockingly fucking stupid. You should listen to him talk for like 5 minutes.
And listen to generals who are experts at going to war? I prefer peace if possible

Kittehkraken

Jan 14, 2017

History is full of examples on why this is total bullshit.

BlueAlpaca

Feb 6, 2018
As he says

Trump is definitely a warmonger. Why else would he have john bolton anywhere near him? He also pulled out of the Iran deal, the deal which Mattis himself said was a good (enough) deal. So if Mattis the warmonger thought pulling out of the Iran deal was too far, what would that make Trump?

I've also read a tweet by an Asia expert saying it was Mattis that stopped a war happening in Korea. There's no way to know if that's true but knowing Trump I'm not surprised. Trump's entire 'isolationist' schtick was just some anti-establishment stick he'd wave around to impress angry right-wingers but he has absolutely no idea about foreign policy, he probably couldn't point out three countries on a map.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Trump is definitely a warmonger. Why else would he have john bolton anywhere near him? He also pulled out of the Iran deal, the deal which Mattis himself said was a good (enough) deal. So if Mattis the warmonger thought pulling out of the Iran deal was too far, what would that make Trump?

I've also read a tweet by an Asia expert saying it was Mattis that stopped a war happening in Korea. There's no way to know if that's true but knowing Trump I'm not surprised. Trump's entire 'isolationist' schtick was just some anti-establishment stick he'd wave around to impress angry right-wingers but he has absolutely no idea about foreign policy, he probably couldn't point out three countries on a map.
We're two years in. What new armed conflicts has he started?

Yet "warmonger" ... :messenger_beaming:

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
You either believe that America has interests in the region worth a military presence or you don't. You either believe the US has treaty obligations, or you don't. You either believe it is better to fight your battles on other continents whenever possible, or you don't. You either want to remain a world superpower or you don't.
I genuinely can't imagine that you truly think such supercomplex and consequential issues are so binarily black and white.

Mar 18, 2018
Good for Mattis. You either believe that America has interests in the region worth a military presence or you don't. You either believe the US has treaty obligations, or you don't. You either believe it is better to fight your battles on other continents whenever possible, or you don't. You either want to remain a world superpower or you don't.

If you line up strongly in the don't column then Trump's your man. If you don't then the last place you'll get anything done is in his administration. Don't stick around to get tarnished by the inevitable fallout.
Is that a purity test for being the right kind of American?

MDS

Neo Member
Oct 8, 2018
Good

I don't know how anyone could have even a basic knowledge of world events over the last half a century and be aghast at someone not listening to the body of "experts" who have been running things. The authority of the sciences ultimately comes from the fact that they work: we've been to the moon, we've eradicated smallpox, etc, etc. Trust in expertise is justified by the fruits of its labor. Applying the model of a scientific expert to foreign policy doesn't work because, even if we were to ignore all the other truly massive differences that make the idea of an apolitical expert inapplicable to foreign policy, all available evidence shows that our experts fucking suck.

We've been in Afghanistan for 17 years and we're farther from winning then we were 16 years ago. What even was the last time we seemed to have a clear understanding of what winning would even be? We're staying ultimately because it would be destabilizing if we left but we seem to have no ability to move conditions to where it wouldn't be destabilizing so now our occupation of Afghanistan is almost old enough to vote and if it was left to the guidance of the foreign policy establishment then eventually it would be old enough to get social security. Trusting this kind of expertise is like if we trusted scientific experts whose accomplishments were a bunch of rockets that exploded on launch and the creation of smallpox. All available evidence is that our foreign policy experts were the guys who crashed the car so why do people act like this makes them qualified to put it back together?

Trump being a stupid dick is honestly his best quality imo. He would make his life much easier if he was more willing to do less and accept the status quo. Obama, learned real quick to go along to get along and so, regardless of how terrible he was, he gets to retire to billionaire island and have the media endlessly saint him. Trump, meanwhile, keeps sticking a fork in the outlet and god bless him for that.

Last edited:

Dude Abides

Banned
Apr 8, 2009
Weird how Trump the pacifist has significantly expanded the drone strike program and shoveled money at the Pentagon. Must be an oversight.