• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US forbids any device larger than cellphone on airlines from 13 countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great I will be coming back on Emirates in a few days...so they want me to put my work laptop in the checked baggage? Who is guaranteeing it wont be broken or stolen??? I got so much work on it :/

What the heck!

Dude wtf? I'm from Kuwait and constantly travel back and forth from there to the states. So if I take British airways for example, does this ban still hold? Or is it only if I take Kuwait airways? Either way this is so inconvenient and I just cannot believe is actually happening. For the past 10 years I have been going in and out with thankfully no problems. This just sucks.

For direct flights then yes this sucks but say if you fly to London then to the states then I think you should be fine.

Man If Kuwait was included for direct flights to London then I don't know what I'd do.

MarveI

I don't know the real reason behind this. Could be a legit security issue.

But let's not act UK is the voice of reason considering they are basically Trump lite and their views arent' that far off from eachother. Now if Europe follows through...then I'll be less skeptcal considering I have more trust in them than the UK or US governments at the moment..no offense.

I think it's pretty obvious this is intended to cut down emirates, etihad, qatar, and turkish airways, which have been kicking the butts of american airlines for the past five years. These airlines are going to lose a lot of buisiness travel. WaPo had an article saying the same thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...-certain-airlines-heres-the-underlying-story/

Totally.
100%
You win the international smartie pants award.

I mean the UK has put restrictions on 6 domestic carriers including British Airways because 3 American airlines cried to Trump.
Yep. Totally.

Yousefb

Totally.
100%

I mean the UK has put restrictions on 6 domestic carriers including British Airways because 3 American airlines cried to Trump.
Yep. Totally.
I think you can forgive people for being skeptical of the goddam Trump administration making such claims.

Pixieking

Banned
Totally.
100%

Yep. Totally.

I think, as Marvel says above, people will be less skeptical if the EU countries instigate these restrictions. As it stands, there's definitely something that's suspect about all this, when you think of the loopholes, and the disparity in country lists that the US and UK have.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Yeah sure so let's only apply this to very specific (major successful) airlines.

Edit: what about the other way around? If I'm going from the states to Kuwait does this rule apply too? Or are security concerns only a one way street?

Rather than a blanket ban, they're applying it where the intelligence says the risk appears to be. I don't see the problem with that.

Yousefb

Rather than a blanket ban, they're applying it where the intelligence says the risk appears to be. I don't see the problem with that.
Again, I'm just very skeptical of this administration's intelligence. Especially when it comes to countries that have not had any report terrorist activity in the last few years. But at the end of the day i don't have full knowledge, so all I can demonstrate is frustration.

If there is a legitimate threat then I hope this move takes care of it. If not then, just a major inconvenience for someone that travels a lot cause of work.

opricnik

Banned
I cant believe there isnt bigger outrage for this , like how is this shit acceptable.

this is racist/harmful/horrible decision.

how the fuck...

Pixieking

Banned
People just don't care. They figure it doesn't affect them, so why bother. And by the time it does affect them (like holidaymakers going to Petra or the Dead Sea in Jordan during the Summer), it'll be too late.

SpyGuy239

mother***er another fucking ban. I travel regularly between the US and home in SE Asia through Qatar, cause their flights/airline are awesome and the planes are great. WHAT IS THIS BS. I am so pissed off right now I don't even know what to say. So much work can be accomplished on a 24 hour flight time.

Is this really all about security or is it because Emirates, Etihad and Qatar are world class airlines that are eating up all the airline business with their well established central hub in the middle east as the gateway into Asia and Africa?

Pixieking

Banned
mother***er another fucking ban. I travel regularly between the US and home in SE Asia through Qatar, cause their flights/airline are awesome and the planes are great. WHAT IS THIS BS. I am so pissed off right now I don't even know what to say. So much work can be accomplished on a 24 hour flight time.

Is this really all about security or is it because Emirates, Etihad and Qatar are world class airlines that are eating up all the airline business with their well established central hub in the middle east as the gateway into Asia and Africa?

Little of Column A, little of Column B, I would say, but who knows? I think it's awfully significant that French and German authorities haven't done the same ban, considering the terrorist attacks there during last year.

Ekdrm2d1

Reasoning:

WASHINGTON (CBSNewYork/AP) — Terrorist groups have been perfecting and testing a bomb that can be hidden in a laptop computer and evade security scanners, U.S. intelligence officials told CBS News.

The officials said Al-Qaeda and ISIS have been developing the device, and the concern about explosives hidden in laptops or other large personal electronic devices prompted the U.S. and UK governments from banning such devices on flights from designated countries.

Larger electronics are now banned in carry-on luggage on nonstop flights to the U.S. from 10 airports based in Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Quatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.

The policy includes any electronics larger than a smartphone, including laptops, iPads, cameras and other electronics. Those devices will now have to be checked. Medical devices are exempt.

New intelligence suggests that the terror groups are testing the new bomb on airport scanners they have obtained, officials told CBS News.

The airport scanning technology now used to inspect carry-on bags in the U.S. is nearly 10 years old, and it is based on an X-ray machine, CBS News noted.

In a statement to CBS News, the Department of Homeland security said: ”As a matter of policy, we do not publicly discuss specific intelligence information. However, evaluated intelligence indicates that terrorist groups continue to target commercial aviation, to include smuggling explosive devices in electronics."

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/31/terrorist-laptop-bomb-threat/

Symtendo

Have any UK peeps taken their Switch on one of these restricted airlines? I've seen a few news articles that say that the Department have specifically stated that Switch is excempt but have been unable to find the specific press release that says so!

Sooooo what's spurring this? How many terrorist attacks has the US seen in recent years? Compared to how many domestic shootings?

I keep my explosives with my checked in baggage, so Im good.

Yeah, i mean. Baggage full of nuke laptops and just have an app on the phone or altitude trigger for detonation? What is banning an ipad in the cabin preventing if someone wanted to blow it up?

Pixieking

Banned
Sudden activity on the thread reminds me...

The UK updated their advice to include external hard drives, keyboards and power supplies.

Wankers. Luckily, my backup external drive with all my music and comics on is small enough. But my 3 internal 3.5 inch drives which are housed in external enclosures are too big (just slightly).

And Turkish Airlines also updated their website

Turkish Airlines introduces its new offerings to make their U.S. and U.K. bound passengers' journeys more comfortable during the implementation process of the electronics ban that declared by the concerned authorities.

Our passengers will continue to use the on board internet with their mobile phones.
Laptops, tablets and other electronic devices may be used until the boarding gate where they will be handed over.
Our transfer passengers will have to deliver their respective devices at the boarding gate on their arrival in Istanbul.
If passenger prefers not to place his/her electronical devices to the checked baggage during the check-in, according to the amendments, these devices will be handed over to be tagged at the boarding gate for a safe and secure transportation, and will be handed back to the passengers upon arrival at the destination. At this destination there will be Turkish Airlines' authorized staff who will collect the luggages that contain electronic devices. These staff will take them all to the designated place in baggage reclaim area, and all devices will be delivered to owners by these staff by matching the given luggage tags with the record list they have.

Transit passengers may hand over their electronic devices at the boarding gate.

Check their site again just before you leave, though, just in case they've changed things up again.

Got a text from Qatar airlines saying their ban has been lifted and customers are free to bring laptops and iPads on their flights.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm in Riyadh's airport right now, flying back to the US. I called my airlines (Lufthansa) before both trips and asked about the ban. They told me both times that the ban for their airlines have never been enforced "but everything can change overnight, so keep checking before flying."

I knew something was up since there were no adequate resources about the order's specifics and banned devices specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom