• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

US House overwhelmingly passes anti-BDS resolution

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018

The US House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a resolution on Tuesday that rejects the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign against Israel, after some Democrats expressed concern last week that the measure could cause infighting within the party leading up to the 2020 election.

The bill — formally known as House Resolution 246 — also calls for increased security aid to Israel and a two-state solution. It passed by a vote of 398-17, with five abstentions.

Sixteen Democrats opposed the bill, including representatives Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, the first two Muslim women elected to Congress. Both support the BDS movement.

The measure “opposes the Global Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions Movement (BDS Movement) targeting Israel, including efforts to target United States companies that are engaged in commercial activities that are legal under United States law, and all efforts to delegitimize the State of Israel.”

It also says that the BDS campaign “undermines the possibility for a negotiated solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict by demanding concessions of one party alone and encouraging the Palestinians to reject negotiations in favor of international pressure.”

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Meanwhile, at KNN:

Last edited:

Psydonk

Jun 17, 2015
No surprise, AIPAC basically owns most politicians and those who it doesn't are shit scared of it.

The problem for Israel though is people are starting to see through it, they already overplayed their hand in the UK with their Anti-Corbyn campaign and support for Israel is dropping in the US like a stone as well.
Good doco on how Israel has gone through thick and thin to smear the ever living shit out of anyone linked to BDS and the movement itself.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
there is no solution to the conflict, the palestinians lost

it's over
The solution is to uphold very clear international laws. The Palestinians didn't lose. They were ignored and allowed to be slowly erased by the entire world who stood by and watched it happen in slow motion.

Reactions: Madonis

psorcerer

Banned
May 1, 2012
They were ignored and allowed to be slowly erased by the entire world who stood by and watched it happen in slow motion.

Erased? By what measure?
Population growth there is 2.4%, highest in the region. With over 4 children per woman.

JordanN

Banned
Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
there is no solution to the conflict, the palestinians lost

it's over
The Palestinians actually have a very high birth rate and they at least have majority ownsership of the Gaza Strip.

It's not in Israel's interests to make them their citizens, so we're going to see a system where Palestinians continue to grow but they'll never have the same legal rights as Israelis.

Hey, why does that sound familiar? *cough* South Africa.

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
The Palestinians actually have a very high birth rate and they at least have majority ownsership of the Gaza Strip.

It's not in Israel's interests to make them their citizens, so we're going to see a system where Palestinians continue to grow but they'll never have the same legal rights as Israelis.

Hey, why does that sound familiar? *cough* South Africa.

No reason to think so narrowly.

Gaza will never be part of Israel and for all intents and purposes its the defacto Palestinan state.

The Palestinian communities in Judea can simply become part of the Gaza Palestinian state or part of Jordan. Keep in mind Alaska and Hawaii are not connected to the USA but are still part of America.

The main problem is pro-Palestinians think its still 1946 and they can't stop living in the past. The idea to them that whats done is done and that we live in 2019 is something they can't wrap their heads around and all they can think about is turning back the clock to a time that never existed.

It would be like if Mexican's said they want peace with the US based on 1845 lines and that they wanted Texas to return back to Mexico.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Apr 11, 2007
Good. Fuck BDS. As usual, its anti-semitism hiding as anti-Israel or anti-zionism or whatever.
Oh and Muslims in the house voted against the bill? Color me surprised!

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam

Panda1

Banned
Jan 12, 2010
People recognise the influence of Israel based on the disproportionate amount of jewsish people lobbying and within the government.

Now with changing demographics does anyone believe if Muslims, Mexicans or any group will have more power then use politics and foreign policy will be influenced by them. With just a couple of muslims you already have this reflected with Anti Israel sentiment. I think there are 10million muslims in the us..there will be a tipping point when Israel won't be an ally

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Apr 11, 2007
People recognise the influence of Israel based on the disproportionate amount of jewsish people lobbying and within the government.

Now with changing demographics does anyone believe if Muslims, Mexicans or any group will have more power then use politics and foreign policy will be influenced by them. With just a couple of muslims you already have this reflected with Anti Israel sentiment. I think there are 10million muslims in the us..there will be a tipping point when Israel won't be an ally

There are 3 million Muslims in the US, so just above 1%.
Nevertheless, as they say- 'demography is destiny', and changing demographics will affect US-Israel relationship.
Which also brings me to another point- so many middle east Muslim countries where a non-Muslim can never become a citizen. How is that OK? If any other nation did it they would be pillored by the leftists, yet these countries keep their demographics 100% Muslim this way and not a squeak by anyone. Hypocrites.

Reactions: HaveButOneLife

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018

So this Arab guy gets his business attacked and shut down because the company is Israeli, its not even a burger joint that has to do with settlements or anything.

But hey a victory for BDS, ruining a Lebanese guys livelyhood YA BDS! I doubt the burger joint in Israel is going to go bankrupt but this guy is having some financial troubles.

Ke0

Aug 10, 2012
Reading, Berkshire
I still don't really understand why Americans have to be loyal to Israel simply because the two countries are allies.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
I still don't really understand why Americans have to be loyal to Israel simply because the two countries are allies.

The resolution doesn't have anything to do with being loyal to Israel.

It even calls for direct negotiations and a 2 state solution. The resoultion even mentions free speech and right to protest.

reaffirms the Constitutional right of United States citizens to free speech, including the right to protest or criticize the policies of the United States or foreign governments

The only thing it is against is the antisemetic BDS movement. So unless you want to get behind a movement thats full of Nazi's, terrorist, and antisemties I don't see how you wouldn't support this resolution.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: DeepEnigma

take_it_easy

Jan 31, 2018
The only thing it is against is the antisemetic BDS movement. So unless you want to get behind a movement thats full of Nazi's, terrorist, and antisemties I don't see how you wouldn't support this resolution.

Hitler was a vegetarian, you wouldn't support vegetarians now would you? :messenger_sad_relieved:

I think a movement should be insulted based on it's merits. You can argue that there are racist terrorists on both sides. Doesn't mean you can't pick a side.

Personally I'm on the side of uninvolvement. Let Israel do what's inevitable and take over Palestine. Stop giving them billions in support. Let whoever wants to, to boycott them. Not America's problem.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Hitler was a vegetarian, you wouldn't support vegetarians now would you? :messenger_sad_relieved:

I think a movement should be insulted based on it's merits. You can argue that there are racist terrorists on both sides. Doesn't mean you can't pick a side.

Personally I'm on the side of uninvolvement. Let Israel do what's inevitable and take over Palestine. Stop giving them billions in support. Let whoever wants to, to boycott them. Not America's problem.

Oct 26, 2018
They will always be allies.

1. Lots of Jewish people in the US

2. Israel and Middle East butt heads. US and Middle East butt heads. Might as join heads like conjoined twins and headbutt the Middles East countries together

3. Best place to sink some US military gear and soldiers in that area is Israel

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007

2. Israel and Middle East butt heads. US and Middle East butt heads. Might as join heads like conjoined twins and headbutt the Middles East countries together

It goes back quite a bit further than that. ;)

Aug 22, 2018

They will not necessarily always be allies, that's not only speculation, but also not integral to US survival.

1. Jews are a mere 2% of the US population. If we are discussing their impact upon the political landscape in the US, I would say sure they have a dispoportionate impact upon it given their vast over-representation within major Media and campaign Finance(donors). This manifests itself as the overwhelming Left-Wing bias given that Jews in the US are overwhelmingly left leaning, Jewish Elites especially.
2. The US, being the representation of their population's interests, has few interests in the Middle East. This is not say that the US government has no interests, but they probably aren't aligned with the populace they serve.
3. The arms that are given to Israel are paid for by US taxpayers. There is no return on this investment.

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018

Well based on its merits it sucks too. It doesn't actually harm Israel just look at how well its doing economically. It harms Palestinans more than Jews. SodaStream closed down and 500 Palestinians lost good paying jobs so a bunch of westerners could feel high and mighty. SodaStream meanwhile is still around and was recently sold for billions to Pepsi I think. Oh and to top it off the owner of SodaStream is a proponent of Palestinan rights and is pro-Palestinian. Many of its members are clear that the goal is the destruction of Israel as a Jewish state. And the movement was not even started by Palestinians as per Israel hater Illan Pappe.

Anyways I don't know if I will convince anyone to support Israel, but at least don't fall for the propaganda around this resolution. Like I said the resolution calls for a 2 state solutoin and direct negoations and says people have the right to protest any government. So is not any sort of limit on free speech or the 1st admentdment.

Oct 26, 2018
I've heard that too, which on the surface sounds totally unbelievable.

You'd think Hitler would be angry 24/7 in big board rooms with commanders gnawing on the biggest plate of bratwurst and beers.

Last edited:

Panda1

Banned
Jan 12, 2010

ISIS or Neo-Nazis?
Please pick a side you support.