• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Naval Special Warfare Development Group (aka SEAL Team 6) appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the ultimate respect for these guys and other elite badass groups in our military. These are the guys we all wish we could be, the james bond/sam fisher/jason bourne characters but in a group.

You're pretty fucked if one of these groups are coming after you.

TheRagnCajun said:
LOL

I don't think so. I'm sorry but camo doesn't allow blend into water reflections, foilage, trees seemlessly like that. It also doesn't shrink your face to the size of a quarter and render the rest of your body invisible.

that's exactly what they'd like you to believe

Igo

Was it these guys or another team that botched the rescue of that British woman in Afghanistan last year? I was honestly surprised they didn't use the SAS for that op, though if the suggestions that she was a CIA operative are true I would understand why.

That sucked but I was honestly much more disappointed by the loss of the Afghan interpreter in the rescue of the nytimes dude a few years ago. I can't believe they actually left his body behind. I think that actually was carried out by the Paras though. Another rescue where the SAS weren't involved. I'd love to know what those guys actually doing in Afghanistan?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Dunno how accurate it is, but you can get some idea of how these guys train in Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior. It's been many years since I've read it, but one thing that stuck with me was how they'd set-up these mock buildings (just as the articles above reference for the Osama job) and would drill so much, they'd each use upwards of 3k rounds of ammo a day. They would place playing cards throughout the buildings to simulate enemy placement and then get so good that they'd be overlapping fields of fire over each other's shoulders and hitting nothing but playing cards to whole way through.

slider

Igo said:
Was it these guys or another team that botched the rescue of that British woman in Afghanistan last year? I was honestly surprised they didn't use the SAS for that op, though if the suggestions that she was a CIA operative are true I would understand why.

That sucked but I was honestly much more disappointed by the loss of the Afghan interpreter in the rescue of the nytimes dude a few years ago. I can't believe they actually left his body behind. I think that actually was carried out by the Paras though. Another rescue where the SAS weren't involved. I'd love to know what those guys actually doing in Afghanistan?

UKSF cover the world by region. Up until very recently SBS covered Afghanistan and SAS had Iraq. Of course there were small exceptions to that general rule.

A tip of the hat from the German special forces KSK:

mKodX.jpg

Igo

slider said:
UKSF cover the world by region. Up until very recently SBS covered Afghanistan and SAS had Iraq. Of course there were small exceptions to that general rule.
I had no clue that they were deployed like that. Do you know what the recent changes were? I'm guessing it has to do with British forces pulling out of Iraq.

suaveric

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Out of morbid interest, why use Seal Team 6 as opposed to Delta Force, Force Recon, etc? I'm happy there wasn't a inter service pissing match, but I just wonder why Seal Team 6 got the nod, operationally speaking.

FAKE EDIT: Bin Laden used a female human shield. I think that if true (and it wasn't someone else) needs to be broadcast till the mountains and the moon, so that OBL's last moments are encapsulated as a coward.
Marine Recon would not have been used for a mission like this. While they are badass, this type of mission is exactly what ST6 and Delta Force were formed for.

As for the SEALs being chosen over Delta, I can think of a few possible reasons. It's possible Delta was just busy with other things or there is some sort of rotation for these types of missions and it was just ST6's turn. It's also very possible that Delta did take part in the raid, but because they "don't exist" they'll never be mentioned along side the SEALs (I suspect ISA had a hand in this as well, but they don't exist officially either).

The other (more outlandish) reason Delta might not have gotten the call is because of General McCrystal. Before he was the commander in Afghanistan, he was running Delta. After what happened between him and Obama, maybe the administration decided to slight Delta and go with ST6.

itsgreen

Man said:
Watching that video feed (of Osama take down) must have been intense as hell.

Yeah would love to see video of preparations as well... but I don't think a documentary crew was running along side them :(

Coming to you in 2016... Leonardo di Caprio is part of... DEVGRU... this film has not yet been rated...

Would watch...

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Hootie said:
They really are almost mythological guys at this point. They literally devote their lives to fucking shit up in the most efficient and badass ways possible. So awesome

yeah i've met a few, they're really nice...but i cant help but think in the back of my mind...they could kill me before i finished taking my next breath and not even think about it...so inherently scary.

XiaNaphryz said:
How do they compare to GSG-9? I've always heard stuff about GSG, not so much the KSK.

Because you will never hear anything from them. Most people of the German government don't know what they are currently doing. Even the Bundeswehr doesn't know what they are doing.

Btw. the founder of Team 6 looks like a total badass:

RichardMarcinko.jpg

suaveric said:
Marine Recon would not have been used for a mission like this. While they are badass, this type of mission is exactly what ST6 and Delta Force were formed for.

As for The SEALs being chosen over Delta, I can think of a few possible reasons. It's possible Delta was just busy with other things or there is some sort of rotation for these types of missions and it was just ST6's turn. It's also very possible that Delta did take part in the raid, but because they "don't exist" they'll never be mentioned along side the SEALs (I suspect ISA had a hand in this as well, but they don't exist officially either).

The other (more outlandish) reason Delta might not have gotten the call I'd because of General McCrystal. Before he was the commander in Afghanistan, he was running Delta. After of what happened between him and Obama, maybe the administration decided to slight Delta and go with ST6.
Delta and ISA are still considered to not exist? amazing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
More DEVGRU info:

The Naval Special Warfare Development Group is thought to consist of around 200-400 operators and support personnel and is based near Little Creek, Virginia. The men are divided into three combat teams and three support teams.

These teams are:

Red (Assault Team)
Gold (Premier Assault Team)
Blue (Assault Team)
Gray (Transport team)
Black (Reconnaissance team)
Green (New personnel team)

Gold is considered to be the premier assault team with red and blue as the back-up teams. Gray team is the transportation unit containing the SEAL Delivery Vehicles and boats used to transport the assault teams. Black team is considered the Reconnaissance unit of the DEVGRU. Green Team consists of the new operators who have just joined DEVGRU and are in training. Each operator inside a team has a specialty, but all are experts in underwater and HALO insertion.

LakeEarth said:
I dunno, you can definitely see #8 in a better quality pic in the main OBL dead thread..

lol I didn't know the SEALS comprised of woodland trolls. If you zoom in on the actual image you'll see it doesn't match with the #8 detail. There's some photo editing for sure.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Man said:
Watching that video feed (of Osama take down) must have been intense as hell.
Wait, was there definitely video? I expected there would be, but I haven't seen that mentioned yet.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Dan said:
Wait, was there definitely video? I expected there would be, but I haven't seen that mentioned yet.

Rumor is the Pres watched it live. It will likely never be released.

itsgreen

Dan said:

I am sure there are 40 videos. I think every operator was wearing a special cam on it's uniform to record and stream what they see instantly.

I am also sure we won't see them for quite some time, if ever.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Right, that's what I would assume, just not sure I've ever seen info on it being done.

alr1ghtstart said:
Rumor is the Pres watched it live. It will likely never be released.
Oh I have absolutely zero expectation that it would ever be released. Mostly just curious about whether some operatives would have cams for these super big operations.

Very interesting if indeed it was being transmitted for the president to see.

aparisi2274

RoboPlato said:
I've seen this picture before and I've always wanted to know if it was just a joke or if those soldiers are actually there.

There are no humans in that picture. The idea behind it is that the seals blend in so well that you'll never see them coming....

aparisi2274

Zaphod said:
Hoorah! The US Navy finally gets justice for the Cole.

When I was down in Norfolk for work I had to do on the Naval base there, I was able to board the cole and it was weird to be on this ship that had so much history and sadness.

Glad to see it fully operational again though!

hiryu

Patrick Bateman said:
Because you will never hear anything from them. Most people of the German government don't know what they are currently doing. Even the Bundeswehr doesn't know what they are doing.

Btw. the founder of Team 6 looks like a total badass:

RichardMarcinko.jpg

Marcinko is a bad dude. His first book is really good.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Skilotonn said:
This morning I read it was someone else, and not him that used the woman as a shield.

They just said on TV that it definitely was him and the woman was one of his wives.

Good job ST6!

hiryu said:
Marcinko is a bad dude. His first book is really good.
Just picked it up for reading tonight. Thanks.

I gotta say, its hard to get any work done today. I just keep flashing back to that phone call I got the morning of September 11th telling me to stay home and turn on the TV. Today I'll ruminate, read, drink a hearty shot to our armed forces, go to sleep and be ready for the world in the morning.

i love reading about the US special forces, especially dudes like DEVGRU and delta. absolute badasses.

Forkball said:
After their last mission, they have officially been upgraded from SEALs to DEWGONGs.

i cant believe i laughed at that..

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Forkball said:
After their last mission, they have officially been upgraded from SEALs to DEWGONGs.

Lol'd fairly hard at this.

Ephemeris

XiaNaphryz said:
Demolition/Elimination/War Group & Operations - Naval aGency

I tried at least.

Ditto. I came up with
DEployable Wetwork & Guided Observation Naval Global-combat Soldiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom