• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US NPD August 2020: Nintendo Switch set the highest ever dollar sales record in the history of August US NPD, top 20 August sellers, and BOTW feats.

Bodomism

Banned
Nintendo Switch monstrous performance

Top 20 sellers in August 2020
Eh4Iw53UwAU3H0w

Zelda BOTW epic performances
Eh4ItexUwAAlBJI

This put Zelda BOTW at the number 10 in the best selling exclusive list since 1994 to 2020. Smash Bros Brawl and Wii sports resort out from the top 10 and replaced by Mario Kart 8 and Zelda BOTW.
DsaDsm8U0AAxv3U.jpg:large

Hardware data by insider
Switch 508k
PS4 197k
XBO 45k

Last edited:
This highlights why Sony should be looking to Nintendo as example of what to do with their games.....

Not chasing Xbox and the current short-term trends.

according to sales, most of us gave up on flops a long time ago in favor of gameplay...

we don't need voxel global illuminated game mechanics to feel secure as human beings

some of these guys are trying to come to terms with a PC card that's at least 6x more powerful BEFORE launch

sales show us this ignorant view of real time simulations are waning

...at least according to real life data

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

This is exactly why I am baffled that neither Microsoft or Sony didn't ape the Switch. It is a highly desirable product because of its ability to be both home, and portable console.

I use my switch far, far more then my Xbox because I can use it multiple different ways.

Oh well I guess. I could have been in gaming Nirvana.

Bryank75

Banned
according to sales, most of us gave up on flops a long time ago in favor of gameplay...

we don't need voxel global illuminated game mechanics to feel secure as human beings

some of these guys are trying to come to terms with a PC card that's at least 6x more powerful BEFORE launch

sales show us this ignorant view of real time simulations are waning

...at least according to real life data
I have 3 switches in my house but I'd hardly call clicking on turnips inspired gameplay. But anyway....

I just meant that Sony should be keeping their games fully exclusive and do something like vault their games after a certain amount of time. No games to PC.

I love having a PS and Switch, great combo!

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
This is exactly why I am baffled that neither Microsoft or Sony didn't ape the Switch. It is a highly desirable product because of its ability to be both home, and portable console.

I use my switch far, far more then my Xbox because I can use it multiple different ways.

Oh well I guess. I could have been in gaming Nirvana.
Cause their both obsessed with this cloud bullshit. God, I hate it.

Bragr

Banned
It's pretty mad that Nintendo is crushing like this without digital, Zelda beating TLOU2 without digital is something to behold. I love seeing Tsushima and Ring Fit selling very well too, even Luigi's Mansion is still alive.

The Wii games were all physical, with digital included, the Switch games are gonna dig a lot deeper into that all-time exclusive list.

I wonder if this is gonna last 12 months from now when the next generation is gonna kick in, but if this continues, the Switch is gonna take down the PS4 in terms of sales in record time.

I have 3 switches in my house but I'd hardly call clicking on turnips inspired gameplay. But anyway.... I dunno what your issue is TBH.

the best part of owning the best selling console are the games

sim:nintendo?...does that game have turnips or something?

lucky for me, shareholders aren't fanboys...they just want money

Bryank75

Banned
the best part of owning the best selling console are the games

sim:nintendo?...does that game have turnips or something?

lucky for me, shareholders aren't fanboys...they just want money
I agree, the games are the most important thing.

Yeah, AC has turnips... it's more about the social side in that game.

Bragr

Banned
Everyone is riding the pandemic wave in gaming, but Nintendo is setting a world record thanks to it. Impressive, but I can’t dispel the feeling that the money parents would be spending on extracurricular sports/clubs for their kids is just being rerouted into family friendly games, ala Mario Kartand others. Gotta keep them busy somehow.
It plays a part, but what is happening now is a lot more intricate than just the pandemic. The Switch has exploded among teenagers because they can put it in their backpack and go to their friend's house and play together, Animal Crossing has become a worldwide phenomenon like Fortnight and Minecraft, and every little girl is bothering their parents to get one.

Also, Nintendo has never had a big popular mainline Pokemon game, Smash game, Mario 3D game, Zelda game and Mario Kart game all thriving on a console like this, it's creating a frenzy where people can't get enough of Nintendo games. Then you also have stuff like the handheld factor, which can't be underestimated as a driving force for the console, games like Ring Fit which appeals to non-gamers, and Nintendo's own internal shifts to focus more on young developers which have resulted in more productive output of exclusive Nintendo games.

nush

BoTW is excellence baby, I must reiterate, it is the highest rated exclusive this gen and the 2nd(3rd?) best selling, no deep discounts required. Although they should really discount it when they are close to BoTW 2 release more people should play it still.

WiiU version was discounted on digital.

The Shepard

Nintendo Switch is crushing ps and xbox

xYfsOmm.jpg

Cant wait for Breath of The Wild 2

Also TLOU 2 beaten by 3 years old game BOtW

Take that Druckie :messenger_fistbump:

I wonder if the switch is beating the ps4s 3rd/4th year numbers? That would impress more than beating the ps4 in its twilight years. I could see the switch do the ps4 numbers over its lifespan, it's certainly likely to be a 100 million seller at its current rate.

Last edited:
I was told by another thread TLOU II didn't hit the top 20... weird, I'm always so certain TLOU II haters are right.

Why take any lessons from Nintendo? Can you imagine if the PS4 or XB1 sold gangbusters a few months out from their new consoles? Wouldn't make much sense.

Also Ghost of Tsushima was the biggest exclusive of the month, SONY is doing fine.

Maestr0

This is insane, even when this year is scarse from Nintendo games, it still manages to sell that well, when the next switch is coming out, that is going to be interesting to watch

Reactions: Isa

KINGMOKU

I wonder if the switch is beating the ps4s 3rd/4th year numbers? That would impress more than beating the ps4 in its twilight years. I could see the switch do the ps4 numbers over its lifespan, it's certainly likely to be a 100 million seller at its current rate.
Yes the switch is beating all year numbers for PS4 and XBOX as far as I know. Switch is on track to sell 30 million this year and the next highest is the PS4 with something in the 23 million range. Hell if I'm not mistaken switch had the best year overall between the three consoles last year.

I don't have the concrete numbers off hand, but I'm pretty damn sure.

My question is with the absolutely incredible performance of this system, where the hell is madden? COD? GTA? What idiot at these companies isn't greenlighting these big games for a system smashing records?

I am baffled why it isn't happening.

This is quite amazing. I love my Switch and it was a big part of our lockdown (luckily bought in March just before the world went crazy) with my wife obsessively playing Animal Crossing and us both playing BOTW together (120 hours in and still a way to go) but I don't think I would ever buy a 3rd party game on it, it's just so underpowered, and for me personally I would like to see some kind of achievement/trophy/play tracking beyond what they do currently.

Well done Nintendo though, great to see them doing so well. A Switch Pro could really shake up the industry.

Yes the switch is beating all year numbers for PS4 and XBOX as far as I know. Switch is on track to sell 30 million this year and the next highest is the PS4 with something in the 23 million range. Hell if I'm not mistaken switch had the best year overall between the three consoles last year.

I don't have the concrete numbers off hand, but I'm pretty damn sure.

My question is with the absolutely incredible performance of this system, where the hell is madden? COD? GTA? What idiot at these companies isn't greenlighting these big games for a system smashing records?

I am baffled why it isn't happening.

I can’t imagine a 360 port of any of these games would cost too much money and they’d sell tons. Plus that’s just another market ripe for micro transactions since all three you listed are heavily infested with them. Doesn’t make sense to me either.

Holy fucking shit Nintendo. And these titles are all MSRP. LoU2 is already on sale. Ghosts won’t be far behind. MS and Sony would love to be able to do this.

Nintendo's attach rates have to do with a dearth of content for their platform. Most people buying a new Switch are buying the same games as each other, or you could say from the same shallow pool. It's not something anyone should aspire to, in my view.

KINGMOKU

This is quite amazing. I love my Switch and it was a big part of our lockdown (luckily bought in March just before the world went crazy) with my wife obsessively playing Animal Crossing and us both playing BOTW together (120 hours in and still a way to go) but I don't think I would ever buy a 3rd party game on it, it's just so underpowered, and for me personally I would like to see some kind of achievement/trophy/play tracking beyond what they do currently.

Well done Nintendo though, great to see them doing so well. A Switch Pro could really shake up the industry.
I cannot recommend Mario+Rabbids enough. If you like strategy games it is amazing fun.

I expected nothing out of it and was blown away by it. As a matter of fact, I'm playing it right now and I'm on my 4th go thru of it.

But wait I thought TLOU2 stopped selling after the first 3 days it was on sale in June? Strange I wonder how it was still near the top in July and now still doing well in August. It's almost like the haters never know what they're talking about.

iconmaster

Banned
Breath of the Wild is the definition of "has legs."

tenor.gif

Yeah, really it's GTAV

Nintendo's attach rates have to do with a dearth of content for their platform. Most people buying a new Switch are buying the same games as each other, or you could say from the same shallow pool. It's not something anyone should aspire to, in my view.

"Shallow pool"

List of PS4 games: 2860 games

List of Switch games: 2929 games

Last edited:
Top Bottom