• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US NPD August 2020: Nintendo Switch set the highest ever dollar sales record in the history of August US NPD, top 20 August sellers, and BOTW feats.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Eh4IzkGU8AEZMmu

the last of us top 3 best selling games of 2020.....but but its not selling

Klayzer

But wait I thought TLOU2 stopped selling after the first 3 days it was on sale in June? Strange I wonder how it was still near the top in July and now still doing well in August. It's almost like the haters never know what they're talking about.
When it drops out the NPD top twenty, victory will be claimed by the haters. Expect about four or five topics to be made.

When it drops out the NPD top twenty, victory will be claimed by the haters. Expect about four or five topics to be made.
Yup. Even though God of War, Spider-Man, and Horizon all dropped out of the top 20 too. Clearly means they all flopped and Sony should fire all of those directors.

Humdinger

Wow. That's impressive, especially because there haven't been any price drops on either Switch or its games. In fact, it costs more to get a Switch now than it did before. Crazy. I'm sure the lockdown has something to do with it, but there's no denying this system's mass appeal.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Nintendo Switch is crushing ps and xbox

xYfsOmm.jpg

Cant wait for Breath of The Wild 2

Also TLOU 2 beaten by 3 years old game BOtW

Take that Druckie :messenger_fistbump:

New to Switch so I have really kept up on Nintendo news. So when is BOTW 2 coming. I really liked the first one and I'm looking forward to #2

MrFunSocks

Banned
You just know that seeing madden at number 1 is absolutely eating up a large part of this forum haha.
Ridiculous sales from Nintendo and their games. Wonder what the switch game purchase ratio is? Must be massive.

Hezekiah

Banned
This highlights why Sony should be looking to Nintendo as example of what to do with their games.....

Not chasing Xbox and the current short-term trends.
Nintendo has weak third-party support. Of course their first-party games sell a lot when there is nothing else to play.

I don't see a problem with bringing three year-old Playstation games to PC.

Humdinger

There are some, um, issues with this chart.

Note that the 3DS bar shows 75 million but is as tall as the PS4's 113 million. The table of hardware numbers also seems to have nothing to do with anything above.

They don't give a scale for what's on the vertical axis, but it looks like percentages, rather than # sold. But the percentages are calculated within groups -- the home consoles being one group, and the portables being a separate group. Then they lump both groups on the same graph. Very confusing way to present it.

iconmaster

Banned
They don't give a scale for what's on the vertical axis, but it looks like percentages, rather than # sold. But the percentages are calculated within groups -- the home consoles being one group, and the portables being a separate group. Then they lump both groups on the same graph. Very confusing way to present it.

Gah! I get it now, but.... ugh. That's terrible information design.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is exactly why I am baffled that neither Microsoft or Sony didn't ape the Switch. It is a highly desirable product because of its ability to be both home, and portable console.

I use my switch far, far more then my Xbox because I can use it multiple different ways.

Oh well I guess. I could have been in gaming Nirvana.

Why would either Sony or MS chase Nintendo and copy the Switch? It's NOT their game. Sony knows what they are doing. And MS is trying to figure things out.

mejin

Switch will catch PS4 & be on it's way to catching PS2 in a few years & there is nothing coming to stop it but another Switch.

too soon, remember Wii.

When we talk about Nintendo you never know, maybe you can apply the candle philosophy on their strategy. The lack of games this year could possibly be a way for them to prepare for their next gen cross gens games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Even then Switch is on a path to pass the PS4 unless we get a PS4 portable . Switch sells are actually accelerating & there is no competition for Stitch

Next-gen consoles are the Switch's competition. The amount of total dollars will decrease to be spent on the Switch. The sales will slow down next summer.

FStubbs

Nintendo has weak third-party support. Of course their first-party games sell a lot when there is nothing else to play.

I don't see a problem with bringing three year-old Playstation games to PC.

Switch has weak AAA support. Switch gets tons of AA and below third party games. Speaking as someone who owned the N64 and Wii U and knows what not getting third party support really looks like.

switch has great 3rd party games...imo none of nintendo's first party games are very interesting at all...the closest is DKC, is second party still a thing?

i can't see the end of my backlog, and I haven't even considered indies really

with more and more sales, this is gonna be the most epic handheld library of all time, fighting it would be like fighting PS2 back in the day

just let it happen...give in to your feelings, you know it be true

noshten

Super Mario 3DS Collection, Hyrule Warriors, Pikmin for the rest of the year.
Finally solving the Ring Fit stock issues with the official launch in China:

Animal Crossing basically having no competition in terms of attracting female gamers to the platform.
A bunch of Japanese devs making exclusive AA games for the system now.
Still selling at full price, still sold out on Amazon, still selling out as retailers get more supply

demand is going to slow down any minute now...

Last edited:
Nope. Nintendo took no lessons from the Playstation 2, still the best-selling console of all time. PS4 is currently number 2, number 3 is the PSX. Come back to me when Switch passes the PS3 at least.

Of course they did, they didn't try to compete head on with the Playstation consoles and instead have tried to offer something different ever since. Why do you think the Wii was such a significant departure from the Gamecube?

Roufianos

I'd love to know what's making people flock en masse to buy the Switch. Mine's been collecting dust ever since I finished Odyssey outside of my two playthroughs of mediocre Pokemon games.

StormCell

This highlights why Sony should be looking to Nintendo as example of what to do with their games.....

Not chasing Xbox and the current short-term trends.

I feel like this will be the underappreciated post of the thread that will sail by most Sony fans. It shouldn't be taken as a dig at Sony. If anything, it would be nice for Sony to re-examine their gaming priorities and perhaps look at pushing the envelope on series that have gone away like Twisted Metal. I would like to see something else in addition to the story-driven action games, personally.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

You just know that seeing madden at number 1 is absolutely eating up a large part of this forum haha.
Ridiculous sales from Nintendo and their games. Wonder what the switch game purchase ratio is? Must be massive.

October will be worse when they get tag teamed by both Madden and FIFA. :messenger_crying: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Ogbert

I feel like this will be the underappreciated post of the thread that will sail by most Sony fans. It shouldn't be taken as a dig at Sony. If anything, it would be nice for Sony to re-examine their gaming priorities and perhaps look at pushing the envelope on series that have gone away like Twisted Metal. I would like to see something else in addition to the story-driven action games, personally.

Sony IPs do not lend themselves to handheld. They target 30fps, graphically advanced third person games. Likewise MS, only for 60fps shooters.

The Switch, in contrast, is perfect for Nintendo. Their games are not graphically demanding and can maintain 60fps on a handheld device. Splatoon epitomises how Nintendo maintained their principles whilst developing a shooter.

As you say, not a criticism of Sony or MS but, for example, what is Naughty Dog going to do with a handheld?

Perhaps Sony could move back towards the handheld market, but they would need a completely different stable of IPs.

Celine

I'd love to know what's making people flock en masse to buy the Switch. Mine's been collecting dust ever since I finished Odyssey outside of my two playthroughs of mediocre Pokemon games.
These are the Nintendo million sellers on Switch (note that the evergreen games will continue to sell several more million units in the upcoming months/years):
F9ax39z.jpg

In million of units.

Last edited:
Top Bottom