• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US NPD August 2020: Nintendo Switch set the highest ever dollar sales record in the history of August US NPD, top 20 August sellers, and BOTW feats.

When people tell me SONY should learn from Nintendo...

mckmas8808

Banned
tenor.gif

Come on friend, try a bit harder.

Why don't you try harder. Maybe Sony and Nintendo both are doing great and don't need to take a lesson from each other. Ever thought of that?

StormCell

Sony IPs do not lend themselves to handheld. They target 30fps, graphically advanced third person games. Likewise MS, only for 60fps shooters.

The Switch, in contrast, is perfect for Nintendo. Their games are not graphically demanding and can maintain 60fps on a handheld device. Splatoon epitomises how Nintendo maintained their principles whilst developing a shooter.

As you say, not a criticism of Sony or MS but, for example, what is Naughty Dog going to do with a handheld?

Perhaps Sony could move back towards the handheld market, but they would need a completely different stable of IPs.

I was never even considering that Sony should move back into the handheld market. It's just about making fun games. Making games even more fun. There was a time when Sony was involved in multiple racing titles, vehicle combat, snow boarding, fishing, and so on. They are very focused on a mature western audience, but they are mistaken if they believe that all we want are sports simulations and gritty action story games. There's room for more, and Knack totally doesn't count!

Why don't you try harder. Maybe Sony and Nintendo both are doing great and don't need to take a lesson from each other. Ever thought of that?

That's not how any business is run. I'm not saying Nintendo or Sony needs to change their overall philosophy, but why would downright ignore what your competitor is doing? Ego is the downfall of man.

I checked the local supplier ($35 here in Canada), and never had it, but at 12 years, and Canadian Rye, I might just very well pick this up and have it ready for PS5 release day. It would make for a very memorable drink to have on that day.

it's pretty good...i used to drink more bourbons and ryes, but my lady has a sweet tooth for whiskey and its grown on me...PS5 will need proper celebration!

to stay on topic, this is what gaming on switch looks like:
IMG-2322.jpg

stockholders see easy money, and gamers see $30 classics

have fun getting nickel and dimed in your f2p raytraced utopia, the switch is only getting started :consolewars:

I don't think they consider Nintendo their competition.

In the hardware department, maybe not (I think they are, but I don't feel strongly either way). In software they absolutely are. You do have a choice to pick up TLOU 2/GOT or Animal Crossing/Paper Mario. Which in turn reflects into the hardware.

mckmas8808

Banned
In the hardware department, maybe not (I think they are, but I don't feel strongly either way). In software they absolutely are. You do have a choice to pick up TLOU 2/GOT or Animal Crossing/Paper Mario. Which in turn reflects into the hardware.

I'm not sure what Sony could "learn" from Nintendo when it comes to software though. Sony is doing fine in this area.

StormCell

PS4 sold more than 274 million games in 2019 alone, really puts things in perspective.

You know where this comparison is flawed, right? Comparing total sales of PS4 games in 2019 vs 31 top sellers (out of over 2,900 games for Switch).

I don't expect the Switch to beat PS4 in total game sales, but the above comparison being made is just flawed.

Astral Dog

NegligibleWeeklyIbis-size_restricted.gif

I can't stop being amazed at the success of the Switch, even when this year has been weak for releases (except Animal Crossing) its still breaking records

Last edited:

joe_zazen

there is no competition for Stitch

truth.

• Apple& Google have created a predatory f2p nightmarescape, which I do not doubt is contributing to youth psych issues including suicide. Portable phone gaming for kids for fun? more like portable psychological warefare for brain deformation.
  • Sony killed their handheld because there is more money in f2p hellscape anime games, and I guess vita was kinda crap.
  • MS has no desire for portable gaming hardware, only putting out their xcloud thing on phones. f2p has killed gaming on phones, and I don't think xcloud will change that. Moreover, they want their games everywhere, including switch.

Then there is the type of games. They are the only ones consistently putting out family friendly gameplay first games without the mindfuckery of f2p.

So, they are the only ones making a portable platform based on full price retail games, and have a slate of unique quality family titles. So yeah, Switch will win this gen.

StormCell

I'm not sure what Sony could "learn" from Nintendo when it comes to software though. Sony is doing fine in this area.

Yes, Sony is doing better than fine. They're doing great.

Don't you ever miss the old Playstation games they used to make though? A lot of their attention is on mature action stories, which is fine.

You know where this comparison is flawed, right? Comparing total sales of PS4 games in 2019 vs 31 top sellers (out of over 2,900 games for Switch).

I don't expect the Switch to beat PS4 in total game sales, but the above comparison being made is just flawed.

How many games total break 1 million units on the Switch? Serious question.

onQ123

Less money overall for people to spend.

I remember when Wii U failed & people said consoles was done for because people would just buy phones & tablets to play games but PS4 & Xbox One hit the ground running & the Switch is selling like hotcakes in a world where games are free on tablets that look just as good as the games people pay retail prices for on the Switch. For the people who want a Switch PS5 & Xbox SX/SS is not a replacement for it , Markets expand if the products are different they don't eat into each other unless there is nothing unique about the competition.

Last edited:

CobraAB

Not a nickel from me.

But then it’s been pretty much like that for me for pretty much forever. For myself certainly.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
‘Member when Switch was DOA?

Fun times.

Sony stans breaking their mental backs in their mental gymnastics to downplay the Switch’s success are funnier, though. They really can’t appreciate their precious box unless they bash its pure, undisputed, unfettered commercial supremacy over everyone’s head. Stay tuned for a couple dozen celebratory threads when PS5 gets ahead of XBox S/X in sales, to the surprise of exactly nobody on the planet.

StormCell

I think you're right about this mostly. I think they hate Nintendo, and I think they recognized that their home territory is a lot different than their global market. They don't even try to cater to Japan, but if they could do it and squeeze Nintendo out they would.

These are the Nintendo million sellers on Switch (note that the evergreen games will continue to sell several more million units in the upcoming months/years):
F9ax39z.jpg

In million of units.

Is this limited to games published by Nintendo?

How many games total break 1 million units on the Switch? Serious question.

Initially, I thought that list was comprehensive of all million selling titles, but I see quite a few notable games not in that list that I'm 100% confident have sold millions of units on Switch (Stardew Valley and Minecraft are the ones I'm thinking of). Now I'm convinced that Nintendo, by themselves, have published 31 million selling titles during the life of the Switch. Still, my point is that comparing a year's worth of total game sales vs only 31 or even 100 (out of 2900+ games) total sales is really limited in scope and at best is yearly sales vs lifetime of some limited set.

2019 PS4 game sales vs 2019 Switch game sales -- I don't expect Switch to sell more games than PS4. There are many more PS4 consoles out there and people are buying lots of games. Switch is probably doing just as well as PS4 was at this point in its lifetime.

mckmas8808

Banned
Yes, Sony is doing better than fine. They're doing great.

Don't you ever miss the old Playstation games they used to make though? A lot of their attention is on mature action stories, which is fine.

A lot of their AAA games are focused on "Action" like stories yes. I wouldn't consider Ratchet and Clank Mature. But do I miss the old Playstation games? A little, but we are getting them in other forms. PSVR being one of those forms.

Not even that diversifying their portfolio is badly needed? How many more third-person action adventure extravaganza can we take? I mean we saw that already on the PS5 reveal event.

Their portfolio is already diversified. For some reason, Sony likes to market "those" games the most, but they have many 1st party titles that aren't 3rd person Action-Adventure games.

Their portfolio is already diversified. For some reason, Sony likes to market "those" games the most, but they have many 1st party titles that aren't 3rd person Action-Adventure games.

They market those harder because those are the big budget games, the ones that will sell the console. Stuff like Astro Bot was pretty much an exception in the PS4 era, then they send out Medievil to die and put up absolute howlers like Dreams because they really don't care about those. Maybe I'm reading too much into the PS5 reveal event, but I think we saw a small shift towards more varied experiences. This is just my opinion of course, but I think they need it. Get more consumers aboard, sell more stuff, I mean that's always nice.

Astral Dog

This is exactly why I am baffled that neither Microsoft or Sony didn't ape the Switch. It is a highly desirable product because of its ability to be both home, and portable console.

I use my switch far, far more then my Xbox because I can use it multiple different ways.

Oh well I guess. I could have been in gaming Nirvana.
To be honest, they can't defeat Nintendo at the portable/hybrid market, Sony had a good run with the PSP but now they have a comfortable position as leader of the console market and AAA videogames, Microsoft/Xbox are finding their own success with GamePass and approaching multiple audiences.

But creating an hybrid platform requires commitment and resources, imagine Sony having to DOWNGRADE their precious first party games to fit an hybrid format? How many angry gamers screaming in unison. Its not like they can just throw money and release PS4/5 portable edition

This way every company provides what they do best on the market. Its a healthy market when everybody is doing good without steping on each other all the time.

Looking good for the big Red machine. They've managed to increase their margins without increasing their install base two-fold. Smart and it should be applauded but also worrisome. Hopefully Nintendo invests their profits wisely and realize the prospect of a Wii U situation will hurt them harder the next time it comes around as their base has, in fact, shrunk. Only way to hedge bets is to invest and get into the power game again with MS leaving a lane open (while keeping their handheld side).

Last edited:

Ogbert

So the question is do they release MK 9 and Odyssey 2 on Switch or do they hold out for Switch 2.

I'm not even sure there will be a Switch 2 as such. Just a continual series of iterations and upgrades.

I imagine Nintendo first party would support all the 'Switch family' of consoles.

Mozza

Yeah old consoles under performing compared to one in its prime. They must really be scared.

I doubt there will be a massive difference when the next gen machines from Sony and Microsoft arrive, the Switch has it's own market and demographic, and more importantly massive momentum within that market, Nintendo just can't make enough consoles, if they could have done the their install base would be much higher.

Mozza

Nintendo's attach rates have to do with a dearth of content for their platform. Most people buying a new Switch are buying the same games as each other, or you could say from the same shallow pool. It's not something anyone should aspire to, in my view.

Which is way nobody should listen to your or others views on here when it comes to understanding the wider mass markets buying motives, as all you and others do is look for reasons why you and other similar people buy video game consoles, people in bubbles speaking to other people in similar bubbles.

Which is also why the thread below is such comedy gold. ;)

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Which is way nobody should listen to your or others views on here when it comes to understanding the wider mass markets buying motives, as all you and others do is look for reasons why you and other similar people buy video game consoles, people in bubbles speaking to other people in similar bubbles.

Which is also why the thread below is such comedy gold. ;)

GAF thought the Vita was going to obliterate the competition.

GAF thought the Vita TV was going to absolutely annihilate all comers.

GAF thinks that COD is dead every year.

GAF thinks that Madden and FIFA are dead every year.

GAF has no idea about reality, as it’s mostly people with no idea of how the real world works or thinks playing fanboy wars.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

GAF has no idea about reality, as it’s mostly people with no idea of how the real world works or thinks playing fanboy wars.

GAF is not a monolith of opines.

onQ123

Word of advice: Don't do this!

I'd love to know what's making people flock en masse to buy the Switch. Mine's been collecting dust ever since I finished Odyssey outside of my two playthroughs of mediocre Pokemon games.

Ditto, only reason I have one is cause my 9 and 7 year olds wanted a new toy. Nintendo has done little for me since the N64.

Mozza

Ditto, only reason I have one is cause my 9 and 7 year olds wanted a new toy. Nintendo has done little for me since the N64.

And your comment is indicative of what?, as all it does is got to prove what I and others have been saying all along, that just because you and a few others see no appeal in the console then how could anyone else, which of course has little to no basis in reality when the wider mass market buys things.

Last edited:
And your comment is indicative of what?, as all it does is got to prove what I and others have been saying all along, that just because you and a few others see no appeal in the console then how could anyone else, which of course has little to no basis in reality when the wider mass market buys things.

Just stating my opinion, fuck off if you don't care for it.

This is exactly why I am baffled that neither Microsoft or Sony didn't ape the Switch. It is a highly desirable product because of its ability to be both home, and portable console.

I use my switch far, far more then my Xbox because I can use it multiple different ways.

Oh well I guess. I could have been in gaming Nirvana.

Why would Sony ape them when they are extremely successful doing their own thing? Sony is racking in the cash from Plus subs and 3rd party royalties. They're also making a killing on HW, even with the declining sales. It would be boring if they all just did the same thing. It would also mean PS5 would have to be weaker than the PS4.

Nintendo can stay king of the portable consoles. Sony can stay king of the home console. And MS should go 3rd party and focus on GamePass.

EdGalTBR

Banned
Switch 2017 x 2018 x 2019 x 2020
Code:
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
|Month| 2017| 2018| 2019| 2020|
| JAN |     | 270k| 284k| 270k|
| FEB |     | 279k| 363k| 350k|
| MAR | 906k| 308k| 385k|1000k|
| APR | 281k| 171k| 225k| 808k|
| MAY | 165k| 166k| 215k| 529k|
| JUN | 216k| 323k| 329k| 513k|
| JUL | 222k| 263k| 252k| 340k|
| AUG | 205k| 203k| 241k| 504k|
| SEP | 309k| 259k| 432k| 670k|
| OCT | 280k| 255k| 309k|     |
| NOV | 775k|1356k|1428k|     |
| DEC |1500k|1770k|2036k|     |
| TOT |4859k|5623k|6500k|4984k|

Last edited:

Celine

Is this limited to games published by Nintendo?
It's Nintendo million sellers on Switch that is the Switch games published by Nintendo which have sold more than 1M worldwide.

Those are great numbers for PS4.

If you want the relevant Switch number, it's 168.7 million for March 2019 to April 2020.
In the same time frame 268.7 million games were sold on PS4, with the difference that Sony also count the digital only games while Nintendo don't include them in their figure.

Last edited:

Mozza

Exactly, it's only a few of the internet minorities that seem to want a war between these companies, when in reality both Nintendo and Sony will be happy for each others success, diversity always makes for a stronger market.

I assume your uncalled for hostility is because I touched a nerve within your little core hobby bubble, as I fail to see why you would react in such a childish way to a simple counter opinion to your own. ;)

It seems I touched your nerve by merely criticizing the "all holy" Nintendo who does no wrong. Like I said before its my opinion and I don't appreciate some snarky asshole trying to analyze me.

Mozza

Switch 2017 x 2018 x 2019 x 2020
Code:
|Month| 2017| 2018| 2019| 2020|
| JAN |     | 270k| 284k| 270k|
| FEB |     | 279k| 363k| 350k|
| MAR | 906k| 308k| 385k|1000k|
| APR | 281k| 171k| 225k| 808k|
| MAY | 165k| 166k| 215k| 529k|
| JUN | 216k| 323k| 329k| 513k|
| JUL | 222k| 263k| 252k| 340k|
| AUG | 205k| 203k| 241k| 504k|
| SEP | 309k| 259k| 432k|     |
| OCT | 280k| 255k| 309k|     |
| NOV | 775k|1356k|1428k|     |
| DEC |1500k|1770k|2036k|     |
| TOT |4859k|5623k|6500k|4314k|

Perfect example of sales momentum, and all this with not even a sniff of a price cut.

Mozza

It seems I touched your nerve by merely criticizing the "all holy" Nintendo who does no wrong. Like I said before its my opinion and I don't appreciate some snarky asshole trying to analyze me.

No fella my nerves are fine, it's you my friend who seems on edge for some reason or other, I have never stated Nintendo can do nothing wrong, look at the Wii U for an example of that, I have also not played down the success or continuing success of the Playstation brand, all I have alluded to is I feel it does not impact that much on the current direction Nintendo has been heading in for years now.

Sorry my last post was a little sarcastic, but I do not think there is any need on here to start swearing at each other, it's just not all that important at the end of the day.

Top Bottom