• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US NPD August 2020: Nintendo Switch set the highest ever dollar sales record in the history of August US NPD, top 20 August sellers, and BOTW feats.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
SqzZ.gif

Every time we get thread about Switch sells numbers people get angry, is it so wrong for Nintendo systems and games sell well?

I have both PS4 and Switch and I'm so fucking happy to see games like GhoT, Paper Mario and BotW selling well.

Now if games like 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim sell this good.
9a271e9a502dc359481ae3763702f5cb.gif

Last edited:
SqzZ.gif

Every time we get thread about Switch sells numbers people get angry, is it so wrong for Nintendo systems and games sell well?

I have both PS4 and Switch and I'm so fucking happy to see games like GhoT, Paper Mario and BotW selling well.

Now if games like 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim sell this good.
9a271e9a502dc359481ae3763702f5cb.gif
All I am seeing is Nintendo fans laughing at Sony and MS, for some reason.

Ozzie666

Now that Nintendo is cashing in on that e-shop cash, they really need to grow their development teams. They need more games to keep this going. It will be really interesting how the Switch performs against the next generation, until Nintendo's next effort is released.

2010 is when Nintendo moved on from the Wii, prematurely. They also thought it was in the bag. They cannot afford to drop the ball and release nothing again.

The industry needs Nintendo to combat the direction of Sony and Microsoft. At least to some degree. No one should be upset at their success, embrace it.

LarknThe4th

The reigning champions of this business, and it's not even disputable

These numbers are INSANE, never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined they would be hanging with their own records from the Wii/DS days

And whoever is launching a big game in holiday 21' better make absolutely sure they dont land on BOTW2 day, because that game is going to Butcher everything else, it's the most anticipated sequel since well maybe GTA V

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
The PS4 has sold over 1 billion games, dude, the Switch doesn't compare to that. Guaranteed, try and prove me wrong.
Screenshot-2020-09-15-10-35-41-85.png

Sony included download only titles on their software sales number report and Nintendo isn't, despite that Nintendo Switch software sales is gigantic without even receiving yearly COD, FIFA, BF, GTAV, and etc to inflate the sales data.

Try again harder next time to spread fake news.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I believe it. In my local area, it's unheard of for a switch to sit on the shelf. They are hard to find.

Sony included download only titles on their software sales number report and Nintendo isn't, despite that Nintendo Switch software sales is gigantic without even receiving yearly COD, FIFA, BF, GTAV, and etc to inflate the sales data.

I like the idea that game sales inflate sales data lol, "it doesn't have the biggest selling games on PS4, otherwise it'd be close" WTF does this even mean? Unless Switch sold more in digital downloads than the 400 million they did physical (like 300 million more?) you've made no point at all. Switch is doing well, it's not doing as well as PS4 and even if it ever does it'll be while the PS5 is selling so much it can't meet demand, so who would even care? Nintendo is behind and not real competition, even Microsoft doesn't consider them competition.

Bodomism

Banned
I like the idea that game sales inflate sales data lol, "it doesn't have the biggest selling games on PS4, otherwise it'd be close" WTF does this even mean? Unless Switch sold more in digital downloads than the 400 million they did physical (like 300 million more?) you've made no point at all. Switch is doing well, it's not doing as well as PS4 and even if it ever does it'll be while the PS5 is selling so much it can't meet demand, so who would even care? Nintendo is behind and not real competition, even Microsoft doesn't consider them competition.
Nintendo generated more profits than Sony gaming division and Microsoft gaming division combined.

Behind? Lmao

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo has weak third-party support. Of course their first-party games sell a lot when there is nothing else to play.

I don't see a problem with bringing three year-old Playstation games to PC.

There's a shitton of games on Switch and more and more are coming every week so that argument makes no sense anymore... And yes, they're games that people buy and play, see how many devs are seeing their profits increased by putting their games on the thing.

It's just that people value a lot Nintendo games, I can say it from a third world country, where there's a lot of people who always liked having Nintendo original copies and pirate everything else.

Nintendo games just that mass appeal, not to you, and that's ok, but for a lot of people.

It's beating the PS4 launch aligned.

I don't know why you're so on about this, launch aligned no one would have predicted PS3 usurping 360, but launch aligned isn't the only argument. Nevermind that even if it does better than PS4 there's nothing to learn from that, most of why it did well is it's able to be portable as well as a console, SONY has given up on the portable market, it didn't work for them, they learned lessons from their mistakes, not Nintendo's successes. Remember Playstation Move? That's what learning from Nintendo gets you.

noshten

Famitsu 2020 Top 50:

TOTAL: 15.395.840
  • NSW - 31
  • PS4 - 18
Most Titles:
  1. Nintendo & Pokemon Co - 17
  2. Bandai - 9
  3. Square - 7
  4. Other - 7
  5. Sega - 3
  6. Sony - 2
  7. Konami - 2
  8. Atlus - 2
NSW Software TOTAL: 12.250.659 <79.6%>
PS4 Software TOTAL: 3.145.181 <20.4%>

By Publisher:
  1. Nintendo - 9.453.370
  2. Square Enix - 1.379.278
  3. Pokemon Company - 996.336
  4. Bandai Namco - 936.010
  5. Sony - 608.086
  6. Sega - 460.877
  7. Konami - 392.939
  8. Microsoft - 348.159
  9. Capcom - 258.676
  10. Atlus - 215.551
All Other: 356.558

Famitsu Hardware 2020:

NSW Hardware TOTAL: 3.689.594 <87.8%>
PS4 Hardware TOTAL: 466.925 <11.1%>

One thing to consider when discussing Nintendo output is that they've effectively reached a state of monopoly over the Japanese Dedicated Video Game market. Even during the DS/Wii Era, at best Nintendo sold around 65% of Software within their ecosystems.
What this essentially means is that any Japanese AA or AAA games that aim to make a good chunk of sales in Japan would need to release on the Switch. This will have long term implications for their competition, as Japanese 3rd Parties have taken their sweet time to actually support the Switch, and a lot of their biggest games in the past 3 years either were ported late to the Switch or never released there.
Sony would need to pay for exclusivity which I don't think they needed to do when launching the PS4 as their competition at the time was basically 3DS/Wii U. As Sony exited the portable space, a lot of smaller devs that used to be successful on the PSP/PSV saw lower returns on the PS4 and a few transitioned completely to a multiplat strategy despite never supporting a Nintendo system all that much before.

With the PS5 launching, it won't have the same amount of exclusives, especially in Japan as the PS4 enjoyed. The situation is even trickier for Microsoft who have found it difficult to create an audience for Japanese game makers on their systems. For example, Capcom has released most of their biggest games on the X1 this gen but they actually sell more games on the Switch despite only providing port collections on the device.

Japanese market is overlooked when discussing video game sales but having 90% of Japanese games be on the Switch will definitely give Nintendo a competitive advantage they never had before. They are already the top-selling systems in other Asian countries like South Korea and Taiwan - and this scenario will definitely play out there as well as their market share has continuously risen there in the past 2 years.

Bodomism

Banned
Famitsu 2020 Top 50:

TOTAL: 15.395.840
  • NSW - 31
  • PS4 - 18
Most Titles:
  1. Nintendo & Pokemon Co - 17
  2. Bandai - 9
  3. Square - 7
  4. Other - 7
  5. Sega - 3
  6. Sony - 2
  7. Konami - 2
  8. Atlus - 2
NSW Software TOTAL: 12.250.659 <79.6%>
PS4 Software TOTAL: 3.145.181 <20.4%>

By Publisher:
  1. Nintendo - 9.453.370
  2. Square Enix - 1.379.278
  3. Pokemon Company - 996.336
  4. Bandai Namco - 936.010
  5. Sony - 608.086
  6. Sega - 460.877
  7. Konami - 392.939
  8. Microsoft - 348.159
  9. Capcom - 258.676
  10. Atlus - 215.551
All Other: 356.558

Famitsu Hardware 2020:

NSW Hardware TOTAL: 3.689.594 <87.8%>
PS4 Hardware TOTAL: 466.925 <11.1%>

One thing to consider when discussing Nintendo output is that they've effectively reached a state of monopoly over the Japanese Dedicated Video Game market. Even during the DS/Wii Era, at best Nintendo sold around 65% of Software within their ecosystems.
What this essentially means is that any Japanese AA or AAA games that aim to make a good chunk of sales in Japan would need to release on the Switch. This will have long term implications for their competition, as Japanese 3rd Parties have taken their sweet time to actually support the Switch, and a lot of their biggest games in the past 3 years either were ported late to the Switch or never released there.
Sony would need to pay for exclusivity which I don't think they needed to do when launching the PS4 as their competition at the time was basically 3DS/Wii U. As Sony exited the portable space, a lot of smaller devs that used to be successful on the PSP/PSV saw lower returns on the PS4 and a few transitioned completely to a multiplat strategy despite never supporting a Nintendo system all that much before.

With the PS5 launching, it won't have the same amount of exclusives, especially in Japan as the PS4 enjoyed. The situation is even trickier for Microsoft who have found it difficult to create an audience for Japanese game makers on their systems. For example, Capcom has released most of their biggest games on the X1 this gen but they actually sell more games on the Switch despite only providing port collections on the device.

Japanese market is overlooked when discussing video game sales but having 90% of Japanese games be on the Switch will definitely give Nintendo a competitive advantage they never had before. They are already the top-selling systems in other Asian countries like South Korea and Taiwan - and this scenario will definitely play out there as well as their market share has continuously risen there in the past 2 years.
Japan is basically a whole continent for Nintendo and not just a country.

Mozza

The Ps4 has been out much longer and has had multiple price cuts, so not a fair comparison.

PS4 sells more games, period. There's a lot of Switch owners who buy Zelda, Mario and a few others and then stop. Even if you counter with "a lot of PS4 owners just get FIFA/COD" you're still talking a game per year at least.

Does the Switch's success hurt your feelings? Just an FYI, Nintendo doesn't count download only games in their sales figures, and the Switch has been on the market only ~half the time of the PS4. Also it's not about the number of sales, it's about money in the end. The Switch makes more money.

Does the Switch's success hurt your feelings? Just an FYI, Nintendo doesn't count download only games in their sales figures, and the Switch has been on the market only ~half the time of the PS4. Also it's not about the number of sales, it's about money in the end. The Switch makes more money.

If it's about money Sony wins off PSN revenue, like LOL. 12 billion in 2019 just off PSN, that's as much as Nintendo earned total. Stop trying so hard, the person who looks hurt is the one making shit up. And again, you need to realize for Switch to be truly competitive with SONY would mean a massive digital split (unprecedented even) and someone else was like "do small indie titles not count" well... if we're talking revenue.

"$21.3 billion during its fiscal 2018/19" - https://venturebeat.com/2019/07/30/playstation-is-benefiting-big-from-subscriptions-and-services/

Nintendo's high was 18 in 2009 - https://www.statista.com/statistics/216622/net-sales-of-nintendo-since-2008/

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
If it's about money Sony wins off PSN revenue, like LOL. 12 billion in 2019 just off PSN, that's as much as Nintendo earned total. Stop trying so hard, the person who looks hurt is the one making shit up. And again, you need to realize for Switch to be truly competitive with SONY would mean a massive digital split (unprecedented even) and someone else was like "do small indie titles not count" well... if we're talking revenue.

"$21.3 billion during its fiscal 2018/19" - https://venturebeat.com/2019/07/30/playstation-is-benefiting-big-from-subscriptions-and-services/

Nintendo's high was 18 in 2009 - https://www.statista.com/statistics/216622/net-sales-of-nintendo-since-2008/

You're using awfully skewed figures and trying to pass off revenue in place of operating profit in a topic pertaining to sales and profit.

In the fiscal year ending 31/03/2020 Sony's gaming division made an operating profit of 238 billion yen. This was down 311 Billion yen the previous year.

Sauce

Meanwhile for the same fiscal period Nintendo's profits were 352.37 billion yen up from 249.7 billion the previous year

Sauce

I don't know why you're so hurt and triggered by this news, but it's just a couple of products. Your preferred toy is still going to be fine and is still doing well. It's just that at the moment another toy is doing well and people are discussing that.

Last edited:

Woopah

Nintendo's attach rates have to do with a dearth of content for their platform. Most people buying a new Switch are buying the same games as each other, or you could say from the same shallow pool. It's not something anyone should aspire to, in my view.
There are 10 different Switch games in the top 20 without digital sales. How does that show a lack of content or that everyone is buying the same games?

LOL indeed. Nintendo had 40% more operating profit in 2019. The Switch makes more money.

Look, it's a goalpost shift.

In the fiscal year ending 31/03/2020 Sony's gaming division made an operating profit of 238 billion yen in 2020. This was down 311 Billion yen the previous year.

Sauce

Meanwhile for the same fiscal period Nintendo's profits were 352.37 billion yen up from 249.7 billion the previous year

Sauce

I don't know why you're so hurt and triggered by this news, but it's just a couple of products. Your preferred toy is still going to be fine and is still doing well. It's just that at the moment another toy is doing well and people are discussing that.

You're comparing Nintendo as a whole to SONY's gaming divison. Nintendo is very successful overall, I thought we were comparing revenue from the gaming divisions. Otherwise how does 12 billion go to 352 billion or 249 billion? It can't. https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/07/nintendo-2/

You guys need to stop with the hurt idea, the only thing that hurts me is the need to play these sorts of games with statistics.

There are 10 different Switch games in the top 20 without digital sales. How does that show a lack of content or that everyone is buying the same games?

In a given year more SONY games chart than Nintendo games.

For instance in 2019 Nintendo had a few games in the top games of the year chart for NPD's top 20...

Smash Bros.
Mario Kart
Pokemon
Luigi's Mansion
and New Super Mario Bros.

compared to 15 PS4 games, there were some games ALSO available on Switch but they don't crack Switch's top 10, we know which platform they lead on

Smash Bros again
Mario Kart again
Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Party
another Pokemon thing

2017 is just a top 10 so we have...

Breath of the Wild again
Mario Odyssey again
Mario Kart again

What is 2020 going to look like? Well if we go year-to-date...

Animal Crossing
Mario Kart again

Like... I dunno how much more clear I can make it, on PS4 there's simply a higher diversity of games that chart, it's clear what people buy a Switch for, and it's less things than they buy a PS4 for

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

No, as has been pointed out by multiple people here, the only one trying to move goalposts is you. You're not fooling anyone. Everyone can see what you're doing.

You're comparing Nintendo as a whole to SONY's gaming divison. Nintendo is very successful overall, I thought we were comparing revenue from the gaming divisions. Otherwise how does 12 billion go to 352 billion or 249 billion? It can't. https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/07/nintendo-2/
https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/07/nintendo-2/
[/QUOTE]

Yes I am, because it's the gaming division of Sony and the Playstations performance that you're trying to make comparisons with. Not Sony TV's, household electricals, Movies and Entertainment. You're tying to move goalposts again and again it's very easy to see you doing it.

Also, you keep running back to revenue instead of operating profit. Companies don't survive on revenue, they survive on operating profit. Success is measured on operating profit, not revenue. A company could have a revenue of 1 trillion, but if it's operating costs are 1.0000001 trillion then it's not doing better than a company with a revenue of $2 and an operating profit of $1

You guys need to stop with the hurt idea, the only thing that hurts me is the need to play these sorts of games with statistics.

Then stop playing games and trying to conflate one statistic with another in order to support your hurt feelings.

For instance in 2019 Nintendo had a few games in the top games of the year chart for NPD's top 20...

Smash Bros.
Mario Kart
Pokemon
Luigi's Mansion

compared to 15 PS4 games, there were some games ALSO available on Switch but they don't crack Switch's top 10, we know which platform they lead on

Smash Bros again
Mario Kart again
Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Party
another Pokemon thing

Breath of the Wild again
Mario Odyssey again
Mario Kart again

Animal Crossing
Mario Kart again

Like... I dunno how much more clear I can make it, on PS4 there's simply a higher diversity of games that chart, it's clear what people buy a Switch for, and it's less things than they buy a PS4 for

Ah, now he's moving goalposts again and going for "diversity" as demonstarted by a rapidly changing top X sales chart. That could also be framed as poor legs and lacklustre medium and longterm appeal highlighting a business' inablity to provide products that retain appeal and percieved value beyond their launch window and without significant launch levels of promotion.

Don't let that trigger you, now. This isn't to say that many games on PS4 aren't excellent, but in terms of goalpost moving you've just wedged yourself into a nasty position if you're arguing sales and product viability in a thread about sales.

Last edited:
No, as has been pointed out by multiple people here, the only one trying to move goalposts is you. You're not fooling anyone. Everyone can see what you're doing.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/07/nintendo-2/

Yes I am, because it's the gaming division of Sony and the Playstations performance that you're trying to make comparisons with. Not Sony TV's, household electricals, Movies and Entertainment. You're tying to move goalposts again and again it's very easy to see you doing it.

Also, you keep running back to revenue instead of operating profit. Companies don't survive on revenue, they survive on operating profit. Success is measured on operating profit, not revenue. A company could have a revenue of 1 trillion, but if it's operating costs are 1.0000001 trillion then it's not doing better than a company with a revenue of $2 and an operating profit of $1

Then stop playing games and trying to conflate one statistic with another in order to support your hurt feelings.

Ah, now he's moving goalposts again and going for "diversity" as demonstarted by a rapidly changing top X sales chart. That could also be framed as poor legs and lacklustre medium and longterm appeal highlighting a business' inablity to provide products that retain appear and percieved value beyond their launch window and without significant launch levels of promotion.

Don't let that trigger you, now. This isn't to say that many games on PS4 aren't excellent, but in terms of goalpost moving you've just wedged yourself into a nasty position if you're arguing sales and product viability in a thread about sales.

Read through the argument again, the goalpost presented to me WAS REVENUE, no one said operating profit until I mentioned revenue. You cannot have operating profit beyond revenue, it's mathematically impossible, you're using all of Nintendo's revenue from all their merchandising and everything else (I mean, fucking Pokemon, nevermind their portable systems) and comparing it to the operating profit for just Sony's PS4.

I didn't move a goalpost, that was my original post that triggered people, go through the thread, holy shit.

Here, I'll try and help you...

"To date, Nintendo has sold 55.7 million Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite consoles, and 20 million of those were sold in the past year. Operating profit was $3.31 billion, up 41% compared with $2.34 billion a year earlier. Net profit was $2.43 billion, up 33.5% compared with $1.82 billion a year earlier. It was a strong year, and games in the Pokémon and Animal Crossing franchises helped drive the success."

Last edited:

Woopah

Smash Bros.
Mario Kart
Pokemon
Luigi's Mansion

Smash Bros again
Mario Kart again
Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Party
another Pokemon thing

Breath of the Wild again
Mario Odyssey again
Mario Kart again

Animal Crossing
Mario Kart again

Of the biggest games in the industry that is true, PS4 gets more of them than Switch does. But I don't think that tells the whole story, as there are way more than 20 games released in a year.

My main issue was with your assertion that Nintendo's attach rates are to do with a lack of content. It wasn't like 500,000 people just bought a Switch for no reason and then thought "well this platform has no content, better go out and buy lots of Nintendo games". It is the number of big games in a diversity of genres on Switch that is pushing the high hardware sales.

To simplify, Nintendo games have high sales due to the strength of the games themselves, not a lack of competition.

Last edited:
Of the biggest games in the industry that is true, PS4 gets more of them than Switch dies. But I don't think they tells the whole story as there are way than 20 games released in a year.

My main issue was with your assertion that Nintendo's attach rates are to do with a lack of content. It wasn't 500,000 people just bought a Switch for no reason and then thought "well this platform has no content, better go out and buy lots of Nintendo games". It is the number of big games in a diversity of genres on Switch that is pushing the high hardware sales.

To simplify, Nintendo games have high sales due to the strength of the games themselves, not a lack of competition.

If the games weren't strong the system wouldn't sell. SONY doesn't need strong exclusives because they can survive on people who want to play Madden and Call of Duty and FIFA. Switch is going to have higher attach rates because there are less third party options and their games ARE QUALITY, I never said otherwise. The argument is always the third party problem with Nintendo, has been since I can remember.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Read through the argument again, the goalpost presented to me WAS REVENUE, no one said operating profit until I mentioned revenue. You cannot have operating profit beyond revenue, it's mathematically impossible, you're using all of Nintendo's revenue from all their merchandising and everything else (I mean, fucking Pokemon, nevermind their portable systems) and comparing it to the operating profit for just Sony's PS4.

I didn't move a goalpost, that was my original post that triggered people, go through the thread, holy shit.

No, you jumped into the thread butthurt and desperate to run a little SDF in a thread which pointed out the current month's success. Tried to pivot it to total lifetime sales and then have bounced the goalposts from volume, to revenue, to software sales lifetime to variation of software within multiple other sales periods. You're all over the place.

Your attempt to pivot to using figures for Sony's overall business wide revenue is in no way comparable to a gaming business making money off gaming products that result from it's gaming business. Unless of course you're happy for Microsoft's business wide figures to be cited against Sony's as a measure of success in the gaming market too. I'm going to guess however that you'll find some distinction as to why Sony's financial services division should be considered when calculating their gaming success and yet Microsofts cloud computing platform should not. How will the success of Microsoft look if we do that?

"To date, Nintendo has sold 55.7 million Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite consoles, and 20 million of those were sold in the past year. Operating profit was $3.31 billion, up 41% compared with $2.34 billion a year earlier. Net profit was $2.43 billion, up 33.5% compared with $1.82 billion a year earlier. It was a strong year, and games in the Pokémon and Animal Crossing franchises helped drive the success."

No, please... let me help you by pointing out the obvious, in red, in your own quote.

You're not helping yourself. Wanna go back to "diversity"?

Last edited:

Woopah

If the games weren't strong the system wouldn't sell. SONY doesn't need strong exclusives because they can survive on people who want to play Madden and Call of Duty and FIFA. Switch is going to have higher attach rates because there are less third party options and their games ARE QUALITY, I never said otherwise. The argument is always the third party problem with Nintendo, has been since I can remember.
The third party problem will continue until at least Switch 2 I think, but even if COD and Madden were on Switch I don't think that would reduce Nintendo's software sales or attachment rates. In Japan we are seeing a big improvement in third party support, but that hadn't negatively impacted Nintendo's own software sales in any way.

Edit: Let me put it this way. If all the multiplatform games on PS4 this month were also on Switch, I still think games like BOTW and Mario Kart 8 would have chatted in the top 20. Having games chart years after release is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned

Read carefully what you just posted. Lmao 🤣

Alan Wake

This is exactly why I am baffled that neither Microsoft or Sony didn't ape the Switch. It is a highly desirable product because of its ability to be both home, and portable console.

I use my switch far, far more then my Xbox because I can use it multiple different ways.

Oh well I guess. I could have been in gaming Nirvana.

Microsoft's push into this territory is called cloud gaming. Personally I always prefer playing on a big screen in my living room which makes things like HDR, FPS and 4K pretty important. But I understand why others prefer playing on the go. I just don't.

MDSLKTR

All I am seeing is Nintendo fans laughing at Sony and MS, for some reason.
All they get is nintendo directs with straight port of games from 2 decades ago, I mean I understand their frustration.
Now they all count on a 4k switch to be relevant when nintendo can't even count to 1080p.

No, you jumped into the thread butthurt and desperate to run a little SDF in a thread which pointed out the current month's success. Tried to pivot it to total lifetime sales and then have bounced the goalposts from volume, to revenue, to software sales lifetime to variation of software within multiple other sales periods. You're all over the place.

Your attempt to pivot to using figures for Sony's overall business wide revenue is in no way comparable to a gaming business making money off gaming products that result from it's gaming business. Unless of course you're happy for Microsoft's business wide figures to be cited against Sony's as a measure of success in the gaming market too. I'm going to guess however that you'll find some distinction as to why Sony's financial services division should be considered when calculating their gaming success and yet Microsofts cloud computing platform should not. How will the success of Microsoft look if we do that?

No, please... let me help you by pointing out the obvious, in red, in your own quote.

You're not helping yourself. Wanna go back to "diversity"?

You don't know what a goalpost is... I said PS4 sells more games, you can't prove me wrong... then someone claimed THE SWITCH makes more money... then you come in and tell me the topic is about sales and profit (it's not, NPD measures revenue generated) and operating profit is what matters, but your operating profit isn't just for the Switch, which was the original argument, the GAMING DIVISION of Nintendo makes money from more than just the Switch and you know that. You can try and cite me EVER using a figure that represents SONY's overall business, but you'll fail while you try and find me the actual OPERATING PROFIT for the Switch alone, which in itself was a goalpost shift. BTW diversity wasn't even engaging you, it was engaging someone else replying to a post I made PRIOR TO THIS ARGUMENT. It's not a goalpost shift, it's a different argument, TRY HARDER.

Celine

LOL indeed. Nintendo had 40% more operating profit in 2019. The Switch makes more money.
Its shouldn't be a surprise once it became obvious that the current Nintendo console would be very successful.
Nintendo typically have higher operating profit margins than PlayStation (PlayStation as in the Sony's console division):
bXZYqDt.jpg

This is a consequence of the different nature of Nintendo and Sony as console manufacturers.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
You don't know what a goalpost is... I said PS4 sells more games, you can't prove me wrong...

A console which has been on the market nearly twice as many years and has more installed units? Of course it has sold more software, if it hadn't it's a catastrophe. You are however demonstrating that goalpost moving right here where you're trying to use lifetime figures in a thread about the most recent month's performance. That's the very definition of "Bu-buh-but..." goalpost moving.

then someone claimed THE SWITCH makes more money... then you come in and tell me the topic is about sales and profit (it's not, NPD measures revenue generated) and operating profit is what matters, but your operating profit isn't just for the Switch, which was the original argument, the GAMING DIVISION of Nintendo makes money from more than just the Switch and you know that. You can try and cite me EVER using a figure that represents SONY's overall business, but you'll fail while you try and find me the actual OPERATING PROFIT for the Switch alone, which in itself was a goalpost shift.

Jesus christ. Let's do some basic math for the current month figures

Switch sold 508k
PS4 Sold 197k

Switch: $299.99
PS4: $299.99

Revenue:
Switch: 508000 * 299.99 = 152,394,920
PS4: 197000 * 299.99 = 59,098, 030

Profit:

Do you really want to argue the profit point given that we know the Switch is sold at a profit and Nintendo's own software on the system (for which they make considerably higher profit) is charting?

And your operating profit for the gaming division isn't just for the Playstation 4. Lest you forget that it too diversifies (yay appropriate use) outside of the PS4. So, no, you don't get to use the whole business for comparison unless we're also using all of MS in which case you're not helping your argument at all.

Before you pivot to using a different time period, we've already had operating profit for the past financial years brought up.

BTW diversity wasn't even engaging you, it was engaging someone else replying to a post I made PRIOR TO THIS ARGUMENT. It's not a goalpost shift, it's a different argument, TRY HARDER.

Doesn't matter that you weren't angaging me. You're still using it as a disingenous argument and goalpost shift for the thread because the news triggers you for some reason. Fair game. I'm not going to tell you to try harder though because looking at your effort so far, trying only makes your position worse.

Last edited:

Celine

Nintendo is a pure videogame company* in the sense that the revenue generated by non-videogame related activities (playing cards) is a pittance compared the rest and even when considering sales related to products that aren't directly tied to their dedicated videogame platforms (like mobile apps, IPs licensing) those usually utilize brands created and popularized by their main business (videogames).

DLuvTMz.jpg

* More precisely a pure entertainment company.

Last edited:
A console which has been on the market nearly twice as many years and has more installed units? If course it has sold more software, if it hadn't it's a catastrophe. You are however demonstrating that goalpost moving right here where you're trying to use lifetime figures in a thread about most reset month performance. That's a the very definition of "Bu-buh-but..." goalpost moving.

Jesus christ. Let's do some basic math for the current month figures

Switch sold 508k
PS4 Sold 197k

Switch: $299.99
PS4: $299.99

Revenue:
Switch: 508000 * 299.99 = 152,394,920
PS4: 197000 * 299.99 = 59,098, 030

Profit:

Do you really want to argue that point given that we know the Switch is sold at a profit and Nintendo's own software on the system (for which they make considerably higher profit) is charting?

And your operating profit for the gaming division isn't just for the Playstation 4. Lest you forget that it too diversifies (yay appropriate use) outside of the PS4. So, no, you don't get to use the whole business for comparison unless we're also using all of MS in which case you're not helping your argument at all.

Before you pivot to using a different time period, we've already had operating profit for the past financial years brought up.

Doesn't matter that you weren't angaging me. You're still using it as a disingenous argument and goalpost shift for the thread because the news triggers you for some reason. Fair game. I'm not going to tell you to try harder though because looking at your effort so far, trying only makes your position worse.

There's been 3.72 billion in just digital software sales this year for SONY... https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/20q1_sony.pdf

That's beyond just arguing life-to-date numbers. It's harder to get Switch software sales, nevermind digital, but if you can prove they were more in the year 2020 do so.

Your basic math is for console sales, not software. MS has nothing to do with my argument, and again, find me where I have ever cited a number for SONY's operating profit as a company, you can't.

Yeah, operating profit again, weeeee, not what the thread's about, not what I argued. It's a goalpost shift I shouldn't have indulged because I really don't care if the Switch is sold at a better profit, no one does besides investors and Nintendo.

Operating profit is also a goalpost shift for the thread, NPD doesn't measure it. It does measure things like... revenue generated by games sales... which is what I was talking about, there's more revenue generated by PS4 games and a wider array of PS4 games, that was my argument and it fits the thread.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
All they get is nintendo directs with straight port of games from 2 decades ago, I mean I understand their frustration.

No frustration here, son. Love my Switch, love the endless games on it, looking forward to playing two of the best games of all time on it in a few days 😍

But you seem ass hurt enough to complain about Nintendo's success in here so maybe you're the frustrated one?

u6f7lfl.jpg

If the Switch has no games then the PS4 sells nothing but trash sports games, COD, and an old GTA.

Oh and the best selling PS4 game is a multi-plat remaster :)

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
There's been 3.72 billion in just digital software sales this year for SONY... https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/20q1_sony.pdf

That's beyond just arguing life-to-date numbers. It's harder to get Switch software sales, nevermind digital, but if you can prove they were more in the year 2020 do so.

Your basic math is for console sales, not software. MS has nothing to do with my argument, and again, find me where I have ever cited a number for SONY's operating profit as a company, you can't.

Yeah, operating profit again, weeeee, not what the thread's about, not what I argued. It's a goalpost shift I shouldn't have indulged because I really don't care if the Switch is sold at a better profit, no one does besides investors and Nintendo.

Operating profit is also a goalpost shift for the thread, NPD doesn't measure it. It does measure things like... revenue generated by games sales... which is what I was talking about, there's more revenue generated by PS4 games and a wider array of PS4 games, that was my argument and it fits the thread.

Man, you're trying to use "not what the thread's about" in a thread about the last month's sales figures immediately after you cite year to date digital software in order to avoid the last month's figures that you're quoting. Are you really serious? is this an elaborate troll or are you that detatched from logic and reality that you can't see your own contradictions and scrambling?

You're avoiding operating profit because you can't cite anything but revenue and you're only citing revenue in contexts outside of the scope of the thread (lifetime, year to date, digital only). You can't even provide operating profit figures for what you're citing, you're just assuming that Sony are making more profit despite the most recent financial year profit outcomes for both business' showing that Nintendo is making more.

It's baffling. You got triggered by some news that you, for god knows what reason, felt reflected badly on your toy of choice. Jumped in to defend something that didn't need any kind of defending (because it's doing just fine), but your own insecurity led you to believe you needed downplay the news and put down the competition. And then have flip-flopped from one goalpost to another desperately reaching for anything to lean on.

You could have gone down the lines of "Hey, yeah, those sales are pretty good. New record, huh? I hope/reckon/think the PS5 could do those numbers once it's released. Wonder if it'll manage to break that record :D"

You actually went "Reeeeeeeeeee!!..."

C'mon, man.

Last edited:
I don't know why you're so on about this, launch aligned no one would have predicted PS3 usurping 360, but launch aligned isn't the only argument. Nevermind that even if it does better than PS4 there's nothing to learn from that, most of why it did well is it's able to be portable as well as a console, SONY has given up on the portable market, it didn't work for them, they learned lessons from their mistakes, not Nintendo's successes. Remember Playstation Move? That's what learning from Nintendo gets you.

You sound flustered friend, let's take a cigarette break from this back and forth.

Bodomism

Banned
Its shouldn't be a surprise once it became obvious that the current Nintendo console would be very successful.
Nintendo typically have higher operating profit margins than PlayStation (PlayStation as in the Sony's console division):
bXZYqDt.jpg

This is a consequence of the different nature of Nintendo and Sony as console manufacturers.
Thanks for your graph, now it's much easier to show how Nintendo on its own tier.

Nope. I said Switch makes more money. You went full "LOL but muh revenue". To make money you need to make a profit, revenue is irrelevant. So I showed you how Nintendo makes quite a bit more profit.

The PS4 is mostly a Cowadoody/NBA/NFL/Fifa machine. That's why Playstation's profit margins are quite bad compared to Nintendo's, since Sony only gets a 30% cut.

Nope. I said Switch makes more money. You went full "LOL but muh revenue". To make money you need to make a profit, revenue is irrelevant. So I showed you how Nintendo makes quite a bit more profit.

The PS4 is mostly a Cowadoody/NBA/NFL/Fifa machine. That's why Playstation's profit margins are quite bad compared to Nintendo's, since Sony only gets a 30% cut.

As the other poster in this dumb argument pointed out one of the ways Switch operating profit is made is because they sell the SYSTEM at a better profit. I was always arguing about games and if you go back through the thread this much is clear. The absolute best-selling Switch exclusives marginally beat the best-selling PS4 exclusives, but when you also have revenue from third party gaming it just doesn't mean as much.

You guys keep talking operating revenue, find me a source that separates operating revenue for the SWITCH from the rest of Nintendo then compare it to what SONY makes off PS4, you guys keep using numbers for the entire Nintendo corporation (and even if you didn't cut out the handheld market, trading cards, merchandising, etc. they're still a lot closer than you guys pretend).

Man, you're trying to use "not what the thread's about" in a thread about the last month's sales figures immediately after you cite year to date digital software in order to avoid the last month's figures that you're quoting. Are you really serious? is this an elaborate troll or are you that detatched from logic and reality that you can't see your own contradictions and scrambling?

You're avoiding operating profit because you can't cite anything but revenue and you're only citing revenue in contexts outside of the scope of the thread (lifetime, year to date, digital only). You can't even provide operating profit figures for what you're citing, you're just assuming that Sony are making more profit despite the most recent financial year profit outcomes for both business' showing that Nintendo is making more.

It's baffling. You got triggered by some news that you, for god knows what reason, felt reflected badly on your toy of choice. Jumped in to defend something that didn't need any kind of defending (because it's doing just fine), but your own insecurity led you to believe you needed downplay the news and put down the competition. And then have flip-flopped from one goalpost to another desperately reaching for anything to lean on.

You could have gone down the lines of "Hey, yeah, those sales are pretty good. New record, huh? I hope/reckon/think the PS5 could do those numbers once it's released. Wonder if it'll manage to break that record :D"

You actually went "Reeeeeeeeeee!!..."

C'mon, man.

How did I miss this especially bad post! You didn't argue anything here, you're still arguing a false argument, using ALL OF NINTENDO's operating profit against JUST SONY'S game division, it's a flawed argument that you haven't made any strides to amend. Until you do it doesn't really matter what else you have to say.

bXZYqDt.jpg

Nintendo is on such a different level.
I would love to know the Xbox profit margin with all their MTX and Minecraft

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
How did I miss this especially bad post! You didn't argue anything here, you're still arguing a false argument, using ALL OF NINTENDO's operating profit against JUST SONY'S game division, it's a flawed argument that you haven't made any strides to amend. Until you do it doesn't really matter what else you have to say.

You just don't help yourself with this flip-flopping. So now you're back to trying to use Sony as a whole as a means of deflecting the results shown in this thread and actual operating profits made from gaming based business.

Again, if you want to do that then by the same token you must be an advocate that MS is killing Sony and leaving them in the dust. After all, if you're going to include Sony's non-gaming related business such as movies, music, finance etc. in the measure of their gaming success then you must also be okay with MS including their cloud computing, data processing, security contracting etc. In which case you've just put yourself in a whole moving your precious Sony from Second behind Nintendo to a far, far distant second behind MS

You cited the gaming divisions revenue when you thought it helped your case. That got flattened when actual operating profit figures were provided, so you then decided to try and shift the goalposts to "bu-buh-but... all of Sony counts" but that fails miserably. You've tried pulling the "stick to the topic" card when you continually cannot and keep reaching desperately outside the topic for different scope because you're just so damn triggered and upset by the news that you're in here running a desperate and wholly counter-productive dfense for something that absolutely didn't need defending.

Your entire interaction with this thread, every post across the first three pages, and then every interaction of this interaction, is nothing but a series of "Bu-buh-but...". You have no argument, right from the outset all you've been doing is trying to derail the thread posting swipes at Nintendo and trying to big up your precious toy and it's manufacturer. It's just a toy. The Company doesn't give a shit about you and it doesn't need your desperate and cloying cheerleading and ill-considered defence.

Woopah

Sony and Nintendo are my two favourite publishers so it's great to see them both doing well. I wish we got numbers from North America like we did for Japan.

As the other poster in this dumb argument pointed out one of the ways Switch operating profit is made is because they sell the SYSTEM at a better profit.

There's no indication that this is true. Post some proof.

I was always arguing about games and if you go back through the thread this much is clear. The absolute best-selling Switch exclusives marginally beat the best-selling PS4 exclusives, but when you also have revenue from third party gaming it just doesn't mean as much.

Nintendo exclusives vastly outsell Sony exclusives. It's not even close. If you add them all up, Sony has sold around 90 million exclusive games, while Nintendo is already at around 160 million, and that's with a much smaller install base of consoles and with half the time in comparison to Sony. As I said, it's not even close.

You guys keep talking operating revenue, find me a source that separates operating revenue for the SWITCH from the rest of Nintendo then compare it to what SONY makes off PS4, you guys keep using numbers for the entire Nintendo corporation (and even if you didn't cut out the handheld market, trading cards, merchandising, etc. they're still a lot closer than you guys pretend).

No, I was talking about profits, revenue doesn't matter much. You can make a trillion dollar in revenue and still make zero money. Nintendo makes much more profit than Playstation. And as someone posted above, Nintendo makes 96% of their revenue from their dedicate video game platflorm, so your point doesn't stand.

Top Bottom