• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US NPD August 2020: Nintendo Switch set the highest ever dollar sales record in the history of August US NPD, top 20 August sellers, and BOTW feats.

You just don't help yourself with this flip-flopping. So now you're back to trying to use Sony as a whole as a means of deflecting the results shown in this thread and actual operating profits made from gaming based business.

Again, if you want to do that then by the same token you must be an advocate that MS is killing Sony and leaving them in the dust. After all, if you're going to include Sony's non-gaming related business such as movies, music, finance etc. in the measure of their gaming success then you must also be okay with MS including their cloud computing, data processing, security contracting etc. In which case you've just put yourself in a whole moving your precious Sony from Second behind Nintendo to a far, far distant second behind MS

You cited the gaming divisions revenue when you thought it helped your case. That got flattened when actual operating profit figures were provided, so you then decided to try and shift the goalposts to "bu-buh-but... all of Sony counts" but that fails miserably. You've tried pulling the "stick to the topic" card when you continually cannot and keep reaching desperately outside the topic for different scope because you're just so damn triggered and upset by the news that you're in here running a desperate and wholly counter-productive dfense for something that absolutely didn't need defending.

Your entire interaction with this thread, every post across the first three pages, and then every interaction of this interaction, is nothing but a series of "Bu-buh-but...". You have no argument, right from the outset all you've been doing is trying to derail the thread posting swipes at Nintendo and trying to big up your precious toy and it's manufacturer. It's just a toy. The Company doesn't give a shit about you and it doesn't need your desperate and cloying cheerleading and ill-considered defence.

No, I'm not, I'm saying you can't use the entirety of Nintendo against one division of SONY. The argument is if you want to prove the SWITCH has better operating profits than PS4 you need to give numbers for those two, pointing out Nintendo as a whole makes more of a profit (and only by a bit) while including their handheld market, trading cards, merchandising and everything else is highly disingenuous. You really need to work on your reading comprehension, though, because I have never once argued you should consider SONY as a whole. I never was attempting to derail the thread, if you guys didn't keep responding with disingenuous posts I'd have nothing more to say.

There's no indication that this is true. Post some proof.

Nintendo exclusives vastly outsell Sony exclusives. It's not even close. If you add them all up, Sony has sold around 90 million exclusive games, while Nintendo is already at around 160 million, and that's with a much smaller install base of consoles and with half the time in comparison to Sony. As I said, it's not even close.

No, I was talking about profits, revenue doesn't matter much. You can make a trillion dollar in revenue and still make zero money. Nintendo makes much more profit than Playstation. And as someone posted above, Nintendo makes 96% of their revenue from their dedicate video game platflorm, so your point doesn't stand.

Wait, you want proof Nintendo makes a bigger profit on selling consoles than PS4? Why would I prove that? I don't care.

The individual games do not "vastly" outsell the biggest SONY exclusive, the biggest gap is 10 million between Uncharted 4 and Mario Kart 8. I don't consider that "vast" nor do I consider games selling 2 million more vast, but hey I did admit their exclusives sell more, I'm just saying it doesn't mean as much on PS4 because there's a bigger number of options. I'm also assuming you're figuring this out using the Wikipedia lists which don't even think Call of Duty Modern Warfare charts as a game selling more than 1 million copies? So, that's about how reliable that is, unless you have better sources? The Wikipedia requires hard numbers to be announced by publishers and even then it's up to random people to be updated, hence the list looking absurd.

Wait, I'm trying so hard to follow your argument, you asked me to prove they make profits off the Switch costing less to produce but you're citing the argument of... the person who argued that? Are you losing your mind here?

ZoolNL

Their company decided not to give digital numbers like last month, all of the digital sales data vanished from the 2020 ranking for rockstar games.
So these charts are getting less and less relevant....

who even wants these anymore? It doesn’t include digital sales from a lot of publishers..

rockyt

Nice to see that its selling well. I have been using my switch more these days and see the value to mobile play console type games on it. Although I have a lot of indie games I need to check out BOTW sometime.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
No, I'm not, I'm saying you can't use the entirety of Nintendo against one division of SONY. The argument is if you want to prove the SWITCH has better operating profits than PS4 you need to give numbers for those two, pointing out Nintendo as a whole makes more of a profit (and only by a bit) while including their handheld market, trading cards, merchandising and everything else is highly disingenuous. You really need to work on your reading comprehension, though, because I have never once argued you should consider SONY as a whole. I never was attempting to derail the thread, if you guys didn't keep responding with disingenuous posts I'd have nothing more to say.

Again, you're the one trying to move goalposts here. You want Nintendo's profit split down to individual factors but want all of Sony's gaming division to count despite that division also being diversified into other platforms.

You're also the first one to use Nintendo's overall figures when you thought it benefitted your argument:

You're making a fool of yourself here. That's you, right there citing unsplit Nintendo figures against Sony's gaming division (also unsplit) exactly as you're now complaining about. That's you raising that comparison when you thought it was benefitial to your cause, only to drop it and switch to this "not a fair comparison" argument when the operating profit didn't support your claims. So don't whine and try to wriggle your way out while accusing others of being disingenous when you're clearly and provably demonstrating that very behaviour.

Last edited:

tkscz

Why the fuck does this happen every time Nintendo and sales are mentioned together? What is even the point of the argument here? Who cares if they are doing better than Sony or not, they just banked, that's all that should matter.

Again, you're the one trying to move goalposts here. You want Nintendo's profit split down to individual factors but want all of Sony's gaming division to count despite that division also being diversified into other platforms.

You're also the first one to use Nintendo's overall figures when you thought it benefitted your argument:

You're making a fool of yourself here. That's you, right there citing unsplit Nintendo figures against Sony's gaming division (also unsplit) exactly as you're now complaining about. That's you raising that comparison when you thought it was benefitial to your cause, only to drop it and switch to this "not a fair comparison" argument when the operating profit didn't support your claims. So don't whine and try to wriggle your way out while accusing others of being disingenous when you're clearly and provably demonstrating that very behaviour.

Where else does SONY's gaming division get money from, exactly? And again, you can't keep talking goalposts, my argument was pretty clear from the outset, anyone can re-read the thread and see what you're doing, how you and the other dude keep contorting the argument. All I'm doing is trying to indulge your bad faith arguments because even those seem flimsy, but in reality it's never what I was arguing, my original argument still hasn't been knocked down, this argument that Nintendo makes a bigger profit on all their operations overall (not just gaming, even) speaks to business savvy if they're actually drawing in less revenue, I don't care which business is savvier about this stuff, I argued one sold more games than the other and I've yet to see a good argument against that.

Hezekiah

Banned
There's no indication that this is true. Post some proof.

Nintendo exclusives vastly outsell Sony exclusives. It's not even close. If you add them all up, Sony has sold around 90 million exclusive games, while Nintendo is already at around 160 million, and that's with a much smaller install base of consoles and with half the time in comparison to Sony. As I said, it's not even close.

No, I was talking about profits, revenue doesn't matter much. You can make a trillion dollar in revenue and still make zero money. Nintendo makes much more profit than Playstation. And as someone posted above, Nintendo makes 96% of their revenue from their dedicate video game platflorm, so your point doesn't stand.
Congratulations, you and the weirdo OP must be really happy for yourselves. Nintendo gamers like to buy the games generation after generation, but the reality is a lot of people over the age of 15 have no interest in lukewarm garbage like Animal Crossing.

The Switch is a good machine for what it is and Nintendo will be purely focused on the bottom line. But from a gamers perspective, outside of kids and Japan it will never have the cachet, or the library of games that PS4 has.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Where else does SONY's gaming division get money from, exactly? And again, you can't keep talking goalposts, my argument was pretty clear from the outset, anyone can re-read the thread and see what you're doing, how you and the other dude keep contorting the argument. All I'm doing is trying to indulge your bad faith arguments because even those seem flimsy, but in reality it's never what I was arguing, my original argument still hasn't been knocked down, this argument that Nintendo makes a bigger profit on all their operations overall (not just gaming, even) speaks to business savvy if they're actually drawing in less revenue, I don't care which business is savvier about this stuff, I argued one sold more games than the other and I've yet to see a good argument against that.

It's right there in your own post. Your own argument is right there and you're still trying to squirm and move the goalposts. If you had such a problem with the comparison why did YOU bring it up and use it? We know why - you didn't understand the numbers and were so fixated on detracting from the topic because your emotional investment in your toy compelled you to wade in trying protect it.

I quoted your own post and your effort to make such a disingenous argument using Sony's Gaming Division versus Nintendo with no distinction or split in an effort to cite a misleading headline figure. You started claiming such a comparison was unfair when your argument got knocked on it's arse by everyone pointing out actual operating profit.

The topic is the months sales and a record being set, yet right from your first post you were trying to downplay or outright attacking Nintendo and trying to play up Sony with off-topic figures and that's been the theme throughout. It reeks of insecurity and an unhealthy emotional investment and attachment to a toy. You have no argument, you're just Reeeing and putting your fanboy insecurity on full display with a series of increasingly desperate and all too embarrassing flip-flops from one angle to another even going so far as to contradict yourself.

Woopah

Congratulations, you and the weirdo OP must be really happy for yourselves. Nintendo gamers like to buy the games generation after generation, but the reality is a lot of people over the age of 15 have no interest in lukewarm garbage like Animal Crossing.

The Switch is a good machine for what it is and Nintendo will be purely focused on the bottom line. But from a gamers perspective, outside of kids and Japan it will never have the cachet, or the library of games that PS4 has.
Why single out kids and Japan? Switch is popular with people of all ages and in a wide variety of countries.

It's right there in your own post. Your own argument is right there and you're still trying to squirm and move the goalposts. If you had such a problem with the comparison why did YOU bring it up and use it? We know why - you didn't understand the numbers and were so fixated on detracting from the topic because your emotional investment in your toy compelled you to wade in trying protect it.

I quoted your own post and your effort to make such a disingenous argument using Sony's Gaming Division versus Nintendo with no distinction or split in an effort to cite a misleading headline figure. You started claiming such a comparison was unfair when your argument got knocked on it's arse by everyone pointing out actual operating profit.

The topic is the months sales and a record being set, yet right from your first post you were trying to downplay or outright attacking Nintendo and trying to play up Sony with off-topic figures and that's been the theme throughout. It reeks of insecurity and an unhealthy emotional investment and attachment to a toy. You have no argument, you're just Reeeing and putting your fanboy insecurity on full display with a series of increasingly desperate and all too embarrassing flip-flops from one angle to another even going so far as to contradict yourself.

1. It's an NPD thread, not a Nintendo thread, NPD covers REVENUE GENERATED for all PLATFORMS AND GAMES that hit the top.
2. What have I said that outright attacks Nintendo?
3. Revenue generated is not an off-topic figure in an NPD thread... NPD is measuring revenue. Try and imagine NPD trying to tell us how much a game cost vs what it sold and figuring out their operating profit, lol, guess who does that? No one, that's mental gymnastics reserved for people who can't cope with reality.
4. You quoted a post I made after being dragged into a goalpost shift by you and your friend, sorry I let you two derail me but you're both arguing things I didn't argue for, whether or not I used the wrong graph. Come up with an actual argument for my argument, because I care fuck all if Nintendo are more shrewd.
5. You're actually mischaracterizing what I linked, the Playstation numbers were just for PS, not SONY, read the article I linked. So, my comparison was NINTENDO as a whole vs just PLAYSTATION, technically I was being unfair to SONY, there, but I figured if even with everything NINTENDO produces they can't match SONY's revenue just for GAMING it just helps my argument, in comes "but operating profit" oh wow, what an argument. You know they're taking a hit on operating profit this year because of PS5? Since that's all that matters maybe they should cancel the new console?
6. You keep saying SONY's gaming division is more than PS4... what else is it? The PSP is dead. With Nintendo they make a lot from their DS family but that's not true for SONY and you're not even using NINTENDO gaming division numbers alone, you're using the entirety of Nintendo corporation.

If I'm insecure about anything it's bad faith arguments and trying to stuff words in my mouth, address the content of my posts, or continue trying to claim I said something I didn't, I've asked you multiple times to cite a single time I used SONY as a whole's revenue to make my point, I haven't. I asked you to look at how this began, what my actual claim was and who twisted it to sales then to operating profit, it wasn't me, I just foolishly indulged those shifts in the argument. Admit you're on a weird crusade to obfuscate or address my actual points.

fallingdove

Yeesh. What a thread.

Good on Nintendo for figuring out a way to come back after the Wii U.

I have enjoyed my Switch for the most part. I just wish they would improve the quality of materials for their devices and implement more rigorous product testing. I should not be having controller connectivity and joystick drift issues like I do at this stage of video game technology.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
1. It's an NPD thread, not a Nintendo thread, NPD covers REVENUE GENERATED for all PLATFORMS AND GAMES that hit the top.

And, you're back to the topic, but trying to move goalposts. The thread covers the month yet all you've done is continually reach for figures outside that period. And no, the topic covers the top sellers and record breaking sales for the Switch, it's just that dragged in revenue (and not for the month, for financial years) in an effort to run defence.

2. What have I said that outright attacks Nintendo?

"Nintendo's attach rates have to do with a dearth of content for their platform. Most people buying a new Switch are buying the same games as each other, or you could say from the same shallow pool. It's not something anyone should aspire to, in my view"
"That's a whole lot of unreleased games."
"Nope. Nintendo took no lessons from the Playstation 2, still the best-selling console of all time. PS4 is currently number 2, number 3 is the PSX. Come back to me when Switch passes the PS3 at least."
"I don't think they consider Nintendo their competition."

and that's just the first 3 pages

Bu-buh-but No games
Bu-buh-but PS2
Bu-buh-but Nintendo isn't even competition

You came in, not to discuss the topic but to put down the competition because you felt threatened. Even went with the Cliche "has no games" in a month where Nintendo exclusives take up 50% of the top 20.

Yes, you were and are very triggered.

3. Revenue generated is not an off-topic figure in an NPD thread... NPD is measuring revenue. Try and imagine NPD trying to tell us how much a game cost vs what it sold and figuring out their operating profit, lol, guess who does that? No one, that's mental gymnastics reserved for people who can't cope with reality.

It is when you reach for it trying to cite full year revenue. It also is when you're trying to downplay the success of another console by disingenously citing revenue rather than operating profit when trying to measure the success of a platform. Had you gone for revenue figures for the top 20 cited in the post, that might have been a point. But you didn't because you were desperate to go "Bu-buh-but Sony" but the news in the OP didn't support it.

4. You quoted a post I made after being dragged into a goalpost shift by you and your friend, sorry I let you two derail me but you're both arguing things I didn't argue for, whether or not I used the wrong graph. Come up with an actual argument for my argument, because I care fuck all if Nintendo are more shrewd.

You've been shifting the goalposts since entering the topic. Just look at your earlier posts. "No games", "but the PS2", "look at these year to date revenue figures". You don't get to pick a disingenous argument like you did with those YTD revenue figures and then complain when people call you out on it and post actual measures of performance.

Hell, by your logic a store going into liquidation is more successful than one that isn't because it generates more revenue selling it's stock off at a loss. "Bu-buh-but... their revenue is higher"

5. You're actually mischaracterizing what I linked, the Playstation numbers were just for PS, not SONY, read the article I linked. So, my comparison was NINTENDO as a whole vs just PLAYSTATION, technically I was being unfair to SONY, there, but I figured if even with everything NINTENDO produces they can't match SONY's revenue just for GAMING it just helps my argument, in comes "but operating profit" oh wow, what an argument. You know they're taking a hit on operating profit this year because of PS5? Since that's all that matters maybe they should cancel the new console?

This argument of revenue vs operating profit as a measure of success is hilarious. Someone needs to go and tell all of these companies that they're reporting their results to stakeholders wrong. And they need to tell all of the stakeholders to stop paying attention to actual return.

6. You keep saying SONY's gaming division is more than PS4... what else is it? The PSP is dead. With Nintendo they make a lot from their DS family but that's not true for SONY and you're not even using NINTENDO gaming division numbers alone, you're using the entirety of Nintendo corporation.

Sony gaming is diversified into mobile, PC, technology licencing. Also merch and a few other sidelines.

The reason I'm using Nintendo as a whole is because they are a gaming centric business unlike Sony which is a big company with a foot in gaming, just like MS. Nintendo's business is gaming and it's products are gaming based. Sony, like MS have divisions within the gaming field which are the only comparable part of the business.

If I'm insecure about anything it's bad faith arguments and trying to stuff words in my mouth, address the content of my posts, or continue trying to claim I said something I didn't, I've asked you multiple times to cite a single time I used SONY as a whole's revenue to make my point, I haven't. I asked you to look at how this began, what my actual claim was and who twisted it to sales then to operating profit, it wasn't me, I just foolishly indulged those shifts in the argument. Admit you're on a weird crusade to obfuscate or address my actual points.

Nobody is putting words in your mouth. We've even got to the point where I'm having to directly quote your own posts just to keep you from wriggling and claiming otherwise. You came into the thread, insecure and triggered by news of a success that wasn't attributed to your toy of choice, threw out a whole lot of "bu-buh-buts", tried to use annual revenue figures to demonstrate success and to misleadingly show Sony outperforming and then when actual meaningful figures were provided you've bounced from goalpost to goalpost trying to find something, anything, to support your desperate attempt to run PR for a company that sold you a damn toy that you've clearly developed an unhealthy emotional investment in.

Last edited:
Wait, you want proof Nintendo makes a bigger profit on selling consoles than PS4? Why would I prove that? I don't care.

Then don't bring it up in an argugment. There's no indication that what you've claimed is true.

The individual games do not "vastly" outsell the biggest SONY exclusive, the biggest gap is 10 million between Uncharted 4 and Mario Kart 8. I don't consider that "vast"

Ok buddy, whatever lets you sleep better at night.

I'm also assuming you're figuring this out using the Wikipedia lists which don't even think Call of Duty Modern Warfare charts as a game selling more than 1 million copies? So, that's about how reliable that is, unless you have better sources? The Wikipedia requires hard numbers to be announced by publishers and even then it's up to random people to be updated, hence the list looking absurd.

No, I used mostly this thread. The numbers aren't perfect but they're a good ballpark.

Wait, I'm trying so hard to follow your argument, you asked me to prove they make profits off the Switch costing less to produce but you're citing the argument of... the person who argued that? Are you losing your mind here?

No, that was about your "b-but you're comparing the ENTIRE Nintendo company to Playstation, it's not fair!!!" argument, which doesn't stand when Nintendo makes 96% of their profits off their dedicated video game platform.

Sony exclusives have a pretty bad attach rate (in numbers: not even close to half) compared to Nintendo exclusives. Looks like people aren't that interested in more generic 3rd person punchy shooty cinematic 20 hours of cutscenes experiences. Playstation stays a Cowadoody/NBA/NFL/Fifa machine.

And, you're back to the topic, but trying to move goalposts. The thread covers the month yet all you've done is continually reach for figures outside that period. And no, the topic covers the top sellers and record breaking sales for the Switch, it's just that dragged in revenue (and not for the month, for financial years) in an effort to run defence.

Your figures have not been for the month either. The NPD is based on revenue. They also list what games sold most year-to-date.

"Nintendo's attach rates have to do with a dearth of content for their platform. Most people buying a new Switch are buying the same games as each other, or you could say from the same shallow pool. It's not something anyone should aspire to, in my view"
"That's a whole lot of unreleased games."
"Nope. Nintendo took no lessons from the Playstation 2, still the best-selling console of all time. PS4 is currently number 2, number 3 is the PSX. Come back to me when Switch passes the PS3 at least."
"I don't think they consider Nintendo their competition."

1. Yeah, their strength is exclusive content, their weakness is third party content. That's not a dig, that's reality.
2. The guy linked me to a list full of unreleased games... so?
3. Again, just stating facts, not sure how facts are digs.
4. Again, how is that a dig? This is about how they're aiming for different things.

and that's just the first 3 pages

Bu-buh-but No games
Bu-buh-but PS2
Bu-buh-but Nintendo isn't even competition

Real intelligent debate here.

You came in, not to discuss the topic but to put down the competition because you felt threatened. Even went with the Cliche "has no games" in a month where Nintendo exclusives take up 50% of the top 20.

Yes, you were and are very triggered.

The NPD list has PS4 games in it, too... you know that right? Who dictates the topic is about Switch and not well... ANYTHING part of this month's NPD? You? I didn't say has no games, but keep trying, it's pretty clear who's actually triggered.

It is when you reach for it trying to cite full year revenue. It also is when you're trying to downplay the success of another console by disingenously citing revenue rather than operating profit when trying to measure the success of a platform. Had you gone for revenue figures for the top 20 cited in the post, that might have been a point. But you didn't because you were desperate to go "Bu-buh-but Sony" but the news in the OP didn't support it.

Hey, serious question... what console is the best-selling exclusive for on the chart? NPD ought to stop disingenuously doing things based on revenue instead of operating profit, right?

You've been shifting the goalposts since entering the topic. Just look at your earlier posts. "No games", "but the PS2", "look at these year to date revenue figures". You don't get to pick a disingenous argument like you did with those YTD revenue figures and then complain when people call you out on it and post actual measures of performance.

No one has argued with the games thing, which wasn't no games. The PS2 was in response to someone claiming SONY should take lessons from the Switch because of how well it's doing, the PS2 is the top-selling system ever, so why not take lessons from that? The revenue figures were after someone else made the money argument, I wasn't shifting goalposts, I was responding to people who did that for me. I'm still waiting for actual measures of performance actually, you're kindof failing at that.

Hell, by your logic a store going into liquidation is more successful than one that isn't because it generates more revenue selling it's stock off at a loss. "Bu-buh-but... their revenue is higher"

These straw man arguments are getting good.

This argument of revenue vs operating profit as a measure of success is hilarious. Someone needs to go and tell all of these companies that they're reporting their results to stakeholders wrong. And they need to tell all of the stakeholders to stop paying attention to actual return.

Yeah maybe while you tell NPD they report these numbers wrong since they base it on revenue.

Sony gaming is diversified into mobile, PC, technology licencing. Also merch and a few other sidelines.

The reason I'm using Nintendo as a whole is because they are a gaming centric business unlike Sony which is a big company with a foot in gaming, just like MS. Nintendo's business is gaming and it's products are gaming based. Sony, like MS have divisions within the gaming field which are the only comparable part of the business.

Uh-huh... how much does Nintendo make from their partnership selling Pokemon merchandise? You know the most profitable IP in the entire world for merchandising?

Nobody is putting words in your mouth. We've even got to the point where I'm having to directly quote your own posts just to keep you from wriggling and claiming otherwise. You came into the thread, insecure and triggered by news of a success that wasn't attributed to your toy of choice, threw out a whole lot of "bu-buh-buts", tried to use annual revenue figures to demonstrate success and to misleadingly show Sony outperforming and then when actual meaningful figures were provided you've bounced from goalpost to goalpost trying to find something, anything, to support your desperate attempt to run PR for a company that sold you a damn toy that you've clearly developed an unhealthy emotional investment in.

You keep talking about how I came into the thread, you can always quote my first post since you want to quote me so badly. Meaningful figures? Again, you're showing me Nintendo as an entire entity does slightly more than just SONY's gaming division, not the best argument. Again, you need to learn the goalpost shifting idea, if my first big claim in the thread was about who sells more games then that was the original goalpost, you've ignored it the entire conversation because you see other ways to disingenuously argue this.

Then don't bring it up in an argugment. There's no indication that what you've claimed is true.

I didn't, your friend did.

No, I used mostly this thread. The numbers aren't perfect but they're a good ballpark.

Same bogus numbers as the Wiki which believes Call of Duty games don't break 2 million on the PS4, if you believe that there's a bridge I'm willing to sell you.

No, that was about your "b-but you're comparing the ENTIRE Nintendo company to Playstation, it's not fair!!!" argument, which doesn't stand when Nintendo makes 96% of their profits off their dedicated video game platform.

Are you going to prove 96% of their profits come from Switch? I'll wait.

Sony exclusives have a pretty bad attach rate (in numbers: not even close to half) compared to Nintendo exclusives. Looks like people aren't that interested in more generic 3rd person punchy shooty cinematic 20 hours of cutscenes experiences. Playstation stays a Cowadoody/NBA/NFL/Fifa machine.

What a disingenuous way to frame an argument. No one in their right mind expects Uncharted or TLOU to sell 50-60 million copies, that's patently absurd and nothing on Switch sells that much either. "Hey look, Zelda and Mario have high attach rates" yep... people don't buy a Switch to play Skyrim and Witcher 3, again, there's a lot more reasons people buy a PS4 than a Switch, this is evidenced by the monthly top 10s for both systems and which one changes more often.

Hezekiah

Banned
The reality is not many games sell 10m+ on PlayStation and Xbox. With all due respect there are far more AAA games from third-parties on those systems. Some of these have come to Switch but late and they run like dogshit.

I didn't, your friend did.

No, you did.

Same bogus numbers as the Wiki which believes Call of Duty games don't break 2 million on the PS4, if you believe that there's a bridge I'm willing to sell you.

If you have better numbers, feel free to provide them. Sony regularly lets us know how well their exclusives sell (unless they sell terribly, like Uncharted Lost Legacy), so the numbers are good enough.

Are you going to prove 96% of their profits come from Switch? I'll wait.

What other dedicated video game platforms do they have? Even in Japan the 3DS is essentially dead. If you wanna feel better you can remove 10% of the revenue for the 3DS. The Switch still makes way more money than the PS4.

What a disingenuous way to frame an argument. No one in their right mind expects Uncharted or TLOU to sell 50-60 million copies, that's patently absurd and nothing on Switch sells that much either. "Hey look, Zelda and Mario have high attach rates" yep... people don't buy a Switch to play Skyrim and Witcher 3, again, there's a lot more reasons people buy a PS4 than a Switch, this is evidenced by the monthly top 10s for both systems and which one changes more often.

Why not, I thought the exclusives are so great as you friend says? And no, the Switch is not selling 60 million copies per game, since that'd mean a near 100% attach rate lmao. If you want Sony exclusives to have a similar attach rate to Nintendo exclusives, the best sellers would have to sell around 35m to 40m copies. And yes, people buy a PS4 to play Cowadoody/NBA/NFL/Fifa. That's the whole reason why Switch makes more profit.

I was never even considering that Sony should move back into the handheld market. It's just about making fun games. Making games even more fun. There was a time when Sony was involved in multiple racing titles, vehicle combat, snow boarding, fishing, and so on. They are very focused on a mature western audience, but they are mistaken if they believe that all we want are sports simulations and gritty action story games. There's room for more, and Knack totally doesn't count!
Yep, this.
This conference was dark&broody &people getting shot.
I play games to have a fun time. Nothing left for me at Sony.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Your figures have not been for the month either. The NPD is based on revenue. They also list what games sold most year-to-date.

My figures were posted in response to your trying to post disingenous figures and frame them as an accurate respresentation of performance. Once again, you posted Sony Gaming Division versus Nintendo performance, you made no distinctions and were deliberately using revenue in place of operating profit because you misunderstood the figures (yes, you genuinely thought they made that much) and wanted to derail the news in the topic with a "bu-buh-but... Sony is better cuz..."

You were grasping and trying to sooth your wounded ego with bad figures. You got called out and then moved the goalposts again and again trying to save your sorry hijack. The NPD showed the months performance and i both hardware and software you were dead wrong.

1. Yeah, their strength is exclusive content, their weakness is third party content. That's not a dig, that's reality.
2. The guy linked me to a list full of unreleased games... so?
3. Again, just stating facts, not sure how facts are digs.
4. Again, how is that a dig? This is about how they're aiming for different things.

You opinion is not a fact, it's subjective and given your behaviour and clear emotional investment in your console and it's manufacturer is severaly warped and based upon emotive conjecture and highly questionable and selective understanding.

Real intelligent debate here.

Just calling your behaviour for what it is. Your behaviour from your first post coming into the thread and throughout has been emotionally immature (triggered and clearly insecure) and deliberately antagonistic looking to pick fights with one group or another. It is exactly how you've responded, with one "but this, but that" after another.

The NPD list has PS4 games in it, too... you know that right? Who dictates the topic is about Switch and not well... ANYTHING part of this month's NPD? You? I didn't say has no games, but keep trying, it's pretty clear who's actually triggered.

No problem discussing the whole thing, but that's not what you've been doing. What you've been doing is running a desperate and uneccesary defence from the outset and trying to shift focus to something that makes you feel a bit more secure about your emotional investment at a time when there's news that doesn't favor it.

And the "I know you are but what am I" thing is about where I expected you to go.

Hey, serious question... what console is the best-selling exclusive for on the chart? NPD ought to stop disingenuously doing things based on revenue instead of operating profit, right?

Serious question... what does this even mean? "What console is the best selling exclusive"?

No one has argued with the games thing, which wasn't no games. The PS2 was in response to someone claiming SONY should take lessons from the Switch because of how well it's doing, the PS2 is the top-selling system ever, so why not take lessons from that? The revenue figures were after someone else made the money argument, I wasn't shifting goalposts, I was responding to people who did that for me. I'm still waiting for actual measures of performance actually, you're kindof failing at that.

You've done nothing but shift goalposts. From trying to argue financial year revenue figures in a monthly topic, to digital games, to demanding company/division revenue breakdowns after using the same groupings without any such detail yourself... you're all over the place.

These straw man arguments are getting good

You really do struggle with the concept of revenue versus profit don't you? You appear to have no actual grasp of revenue versus profit versus volume.

It's not a straw man, you just seem to be struggling so badly with the basic principles of what you're arguing that a more simplified example seems necessary. Baby steps.

Yeah maybe while you tell NPD they report these numbers wrong since they base it on revenue.

So, given you're so fixated on the NPD revenue figures why did you have to grasp for financial year revenue figures from a different source. Was it maybe that you didn't feel like the ones that were the subject of discussion in this thread didn't help you run the interference you just desperately needed to run?

I've got no problem with the NPD figures in the OP. Unlike yours they in context and not posted with a deliberatly disingenous slant.

Uh-huh... how much does Nintendo make from their partnership selling Pokemon merchandise? You know the most profitable IP in the entire world for merchandising?

Your the one disputing the figures and claiming it makes up a significant chunk of their financial year operating profit. I can only assume you must already know the figures in order to make such a statement so why don't you back up your claim?

OR, you could point out where that Pokemon Merch sits in that NPD data in the OP. I mean, it must do otherwise this would just be you trying to move them goalposts away from the OP data while trying to cover your little snaffu with the revenue data you tried to make use of.

You keep talking about how I came into the thread, you can always quote my first post since you want to quote me so badly. Meaningful figures? Again, you're showing me Nintendo as an entire entity does slightly more than just SONY's gaming division, not the best argument. Again, you need to learn the goalpost shifting idea, if my first big claim in the thread was about who sells more games then that was the original goalpost, you've ignored it the entire conversation because you see other ways to disingenuously argue this.

No goalpost shifting. You posted financial year revenue figures for Sony's gaming division and Nintendo in an effort to present them as a measure of performance in your continuing efforts to detract from and downplay the headline data in the thread. I posted actual performance data, the meaningful shit that these companies and actually care about and measure their performance by. You used Sony's gaming division and Nintendo as whole entities, and I used them as whole entities. You only had a problem with it AFTER the operating profit figures highlighted another disparity that didn't show your toy maker of choice as boss #1. From there we've just had this merry dance of you flip-flopping absolutely all over the place and digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole.

The problem is, even if we follow the merry dance and let you flip-flop back to "Sony sells more games" then as I previously mentioned the top 20 there doesn't support that. So, that would mean that you're reaching for something outside of the topic to make you feel better and detract/distract from the figures in the OP which would be exactly what I've pointed out you were doing - being an insecure and disingenous fanboy triggered by the news and trying to run defence for something that never needed any kind of defence.

I'm told I'm not allowed to insult this individual, but I just want to register that even considering the low effort shitposting Nintendo fans are usually subjected to, this is one of the most unbelievably, irredeemably stupid things I have ever read in my life. The only bright side to this sad, sad post is that I can keep in mind that as Nintendo continues to break record after record, it will also have the side-effect of making people like you get saltier and saltier.

Hezekiah

Banned
I'm told I'm not allowed to insult this individual, but I just want to register that even considering the low effort shitposting Nintendo fans are usually subjected to, this is one of the most unbelievably, irredeemably stupid things I have ever read in my life. The only bright side to this sad, sad post is that I can keep in mind that as Nintendo continues to break record after record, it will also have the side-effect of making people like you get saltier and saltier.
Not salty - I have a PS4 and gaming PC so I'm pretty much set. And I've grown out of games targeted at kids. Not idea why you're acting so sensitive, like you're the President of Nintendo ffs 😁.

Ogbert

Why the fuck does this happen every time Nintendo and sales are mentioned together? What is even the point of the argument here? Who cares if they are doing better than Sony or not, they just banked, that's all that should matter.

Sony nerds can’t handle the fact that Nintendo released a gimped handheld and still ended up pumping their precious corporate overlord.

Top Bottom