• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PSN Golden Week sale 5/2-5/8

kunonabi

Damn, great sale.

Grabbed:

Code: Realize ~ guardian of rebirth ~
Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni
Steins;Gate
Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
Gal*Gun: Double Peace
Senran Kagura Estival Versus
Root Letter

Still a couple other things I had to pass on too.

Towards the end of Steins;Gate (finished the game's normal ending, and working towards getting all the true ending flags), should I pick up Steins;Gate 0 if I've enjoyed this game a ton?

Would love some spoiler free impressions.

Damn, great sale.

Grabbed:

Code: Realize ~ guardian of rebirth ~
Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni
Steins;Gate
Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
Gal*Gun: Double Peace
Senran Kagura Estival Versus
Root Letter

Still a couple other things I had to pass on too.

Say what you will about the pervy nature of Gal Gun, I actually had fun with the game. I just found it fun to try and get better scores on the stages, and trying to get all the hidden stuff in the stages.

I wish I had your kind of funds available though. Totally interested in Valkyrie Drive, Exist Archive, and Root Letter, but I can't afford them all.

kunonabi

Say what you will about the pervy nature of Gal Gun, I actually had fun with the game. I just found it fun to try and get better scores on the stages, and trying to get all the hidden stuff in the stages.

I wish I had your kind of funds available though. Totally interested in Valkyrie Drive, Exist Archive, and Root Letter, but I can't afford them all.

I splurge because i only buy my ps4/vita games on deep discount. I probably wont buy anything else aside from the caligula effect until the flash sales at the end if the year. Wii u is also dead so the 3ds is the only platform ill be investing in throughout the year.
That said, i still shouldnt have spent that much.

SlickVic

Gravity rush 2 has a lot of great things going for it. I love the first platinumed it and everything, but 2 while being beautiful feels held back by baffling design choices. To me, while the massive gorgeous world was a blast to fly through, the things i was doing in that world other than falling just were not fun. Where the first has the great rift plane sequences those in 2 are replaced by admitedly uniquely designed levels that are a series of tablet challenges that are often more frustrating than fun due to a mix of strict time limits and unforgiving controlls and camera. The other thing youll be doing a lot of are very boring and tedius stealth missions that take away your abilites...you know the thing that makes these games fun.
There are some great moments and fun battles but you have to slog through so much to reach them that for me it became too much and i traded it in. I feel that by going bigger in gr2, they lost something along the way that made the first so fantastic.

I don't mean to pile on too much negativity for this game, but your post actually echoes a lot my frustrations with GR2 (though I did not play GR1 so I obviously can't compare them). As much fun as the gravity shift mechanics are in terms of traversing the world (and the verticality of the game's first major city is pretty awesome), it just never came together well enough for me to actually enjoy the gameplay and combat. I enjoyed the demo, but I felt like I was fighting the controls and camera during more difficult encounters in the actual game. Every time I hit a section of tablet challenges, I kind of groaned thinking how long it was going to take me to actually clear them (for the exact reasons you mentioned). The game is actually pretty fair with checkpoints, but there came a point of failing the same section (and having this happen time and again) that I had to admit I was not enjoying my time powering through them. I felt I gave it a reasonably fair shot (played 20 main story chapters and about 12-14 side quests), and decided not to continue at that point.
To be fair to the game, I did not play the original, so I admit I wasn't as invested in the story and characters as others may have been, but I liked what I read in reviews and playing the demo that I decided to pick it up based on that.
It just didn't click for me, but there are plenty of folks who enjoyed GR2 a lot as well, so I hope people on the fence check out their impressions.

bman94

I'm itching to pull the trigger on Steins;Gate 0. I loved the anime but I'm scared I won't like the game cause it's a visual novel that's not dubbed.

Ended up purchasing Tales of Berseria, Gravity Rush, Nier Automata, and Steins Gate.

Haven't played more than an hour of Gravity Rush and Steins Gate so have no opinion on them. On the other hand I'm loving Tales of Berseria only about 6 hours in so it's still early. I did not enjoy Nier Automata at all. After 10 hours I ended up just deleting and uninstalled it, I'm glad I waited for a sale on it and played it at least.

lantus

I wonder when Bloodbornes Old Hunters dlc will be on sale again. I missed it like a year ago and haven't seen it again since.

Grabbed:

Deception IV
Tron Bonne

for vita. Wanted a few other things but resisted, the backlog is overflowing at the moment. Completely impulse buys lol.

Jimrpg

Towards the end of Steins;Gate (finished the game's normal ending, and working towards getting all the true ending flags), should I pick up Steins;Gate 0 if I've enjoyed this game a ton?

Get the true ending first.

I also need to start Steins;Gate 0, but no reason not to get it, if you enjoyed the original.

I'm itching to pull the trigger on Steins;Gate 0. I loved the anime but I'm scared I won't like the game cause it's a visual novel that's not dubbed.

Have you played Steins;Gate - its only $3 in this sale if you have PS Plus.

I enjoyed the VN way more than the anime.

ShadyK54

Bought Steins;Gate & Steins;Gate 0 at the start of the sale, but I kind of want to get another game or two to go with them. So many choices!

ChrisD

Still trying to decide on buying Steins;Gate on PS3 or not. I played through it on Vita, and will probably never play it on PS3 (because I have PSTV). But three dollaaaarrrrrrs. It would basically just use up my extra funds from Sony's friggin' $5 minimum.

Other than that, I traded into GS today and got $15 (used on a $10 PSN card) + used some points for another $10. With that I grabbed MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death LITERALLY just because I noticed it was 90% off, and impressions aren't bad. Not great, but not bad, either. Also grabbed Trails of Cold Steel, as I see hard copies are actually really expensive still, and while I won't play it anytime soon (want to play Trails in the Sky first), figured buying it now would be a wise choice. Not sure how often it goes on sale, but if it does again for cheaper... whatever, life does that sometimes. :p

Korigama

Still trying to decide on buying Steins;Gate on PS3 or not. I played through it on Vita, and will probably never play it on PS3 (because I have PSTV). But three dollaaaarrrrrrs. It would basically just use up my extra funds from Sony's friggin' $5 minimum.

Other than that, I traded into GS today and got $15 (used on a $10 PSN card) + used some points for another $10. With that I grabbed MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death LITERALLY just because I noticed it was 90% off, and impressions aren't bad. Not great, but not bad, either. Also grabbed Trails of Cold Steel, as I see hard copies are actually really expensive still, and while I won't play it anytime soon (want to play Trails in the Sky first), figured buying it now would be a wise choice. Not sure how often it goes on sale, but if it does again for cheaper... whatever, life does that sometimes. :p
Hm, probably should've waited on Trails of Cold Steel if not playing it anytime soon. This goes for everyone else considering going digital rather than physical for it as well.
I'd say it would be better to wait for the PC release for Trails of Cold Steel, as it will have much more voice acting (making up for the odd scenes where other characters' lines are voiced, but the lead's aren't).

If you have a Vita, join the Cold Steel party.

If you're only PS4, then Deception is an amazing puzzle like game.

Fairy Fencer F and Megadimension Neptunia are good (not great) RPGs. Both use a very simple battle system with a great skip feature that makes battling easy and short.
Both games have stories with a lot of humor, but FFF is a little more on the serious side in some moments.

Nights of Azure is a simple hack and slash game with a great OST, story and characters. The gameplay is simple and can get repetitive, but the game isn't too long either (20 hours is more than enough for everything)
Already have Cold Steel 1 and 2 on PS3. The first one was amazing, but haven't played the second one very much. Will get on that eventually.

Neptunia is a little too fan servicey for my liking. FFF seems a bit too close to other RPG games that I've played before (tales of, cold steel, etc) so I'm not really feeling it.

I do wanna buy Nights of Azure, but given the stuff that I've heard about it, the current price is bit too high.

Deception IV.... wait, that's a puzzle game? I thought it was an SRPG? I don't like SRPGs, so I haven't really followed that game. Let me see its trailer on PS store.... hmmm, it looks interesting, but does the game have any sort of campaign or story levels of sort, or is it purely a game in which you just mess around with people for fun?

cj_iwakura

Already have Cold Steel 1 and 2 on PS3. The first one was amazing, but haven't played the second one very much. Will get on that eventually.

Neptunia is a little too fan servicey for my liking. FFF seems a bit too close to other RPG games that I've played before (tales of, cold steel, etc) so I'm not really feeling it.

I do wanna buy Nights of Azure, but given the stuff that I've heard about it, the current price is bit too high.

Deception IV.... wait, that's a puzzle game? I thought it was an SRPG? I don't like SRPGs, so I haven't really followed that game. Let me see its trailer on PS store.... hmmm, it looks interesting, but does the game have any sort of campaign or story levels of sort, or is it purely a game in which you just mess around with people for fun?
Deception IV is trap action. Best way to describe it. Very strategic though.

Jimrpg

How about Atelier Sophie, I hear lots of good things about it, and they don't get discounted very much. Sophie is the first one in the Mysterious series (next one is Firis which is also out), so it'd be good to start on that.

Steins;Gate is a masterpiece but if you're not going to play the PS3 version then that is literally throwing money away even if its $3.

SephLuis

There's a story which is very simple, but it has multiple endings depending on some special conditions in some levels. It's something that you need a guide if you want all endings.

The game is also full of content so there's two campaigns (the original, Blood Ties, and the new one Nightmare Princess) plus a ton of challenges and even level editor IIRC.

The puzzle part comes from chaining one trap into another. The things gets more complicated because some enemies might be invulnerable against some traps or you might need to break their armor in a certain specific way. The game really pushes you to be creative on how to use the traps.

You probably thought it was a SRPG because you set the traps in tiles. But the game is more about planning the traps and luring people into it.

About Neptunia and FFF, try them on another sale. Neptunia isn't with too much fan service as some might believe and FFF is a solid game.

I feel trap action, while correct, might give out a very different meaning though.

I guess I should pick up Steins;Gate, even though I have no desire to play it right now, I'll eventually be in the mood for a VN. I tried watching the anime but I stopped about 4 episodes in. It really did nothing for me. I always wonder whether Steins;Gate is really going to be that good and I'm not giving it a fair shake, or if the hype is just a product of anime fans having low standards about what "amazing story" really means.

LotusHD

Banned
I guess I should pick up Steins;Gate, even though I have no desire to play it right now, I'll eventually be in the mood for a VN. I tried watching the anime but I stopped about 4 episodes in. It really did nothing for me. I always wonder whether Steins;Gate is really going to be that good and I'm not giving it a fair shake, or if the hype is just a product of anime fans having low standards about what "amazing story" really means.

Nah, the anime deserves the praise, it just takes a good while to get going. Like if I were watching it weekly or something, maybe I wouldn't have stuck with it. But being able to watch it all in one go, I eventually got to the more exciting parts, and then before ya know it you're hooked.

Nah, the anime deserves the praise, it just takes a good while to get going. Like if I were watching it weekly or something, maybe I wouldn't have stuck with it. But being able to watch it all in one go, I eventually got to the more exciting parts, and then before ya know it you're hooked.

I think I'll pull the trigger.
Also going to get Code: Realize because the price is too good, and it's always nice to give the Vita some love, but I wish the Danganronpa PS4 port was on sale.
Soon I'll own every game about Arsene Lupin reimagined as a dashing Japanese pretty boy

ChrisD

Hm, probably should've waited on Trails of Cold Steel if not playing it anytime soon. This goes for everyone else considering going digital rather than physical for it as well.

While I do have Steam and play on it occasionally, I'm not a fan of the platform even with Controller. Can't beat the comfort of a portable in bed. Didn't know about the upcoming release, though!

Steins;Gate is a masterpiece but if you're not going to play the PS3 version then that is literally throwing money away even if its $3.

Yeah, you're right. Will hold onto it, who knows what may show up in a later sale for $3 that will then make me think, "If only I held onto it!"
Was thinking my brother or sister may try it out if it was on PS3, but I really do know that they wouldn't. Brother because he refuses to play anything not on the PC, sister because she doesn't like anything anime.

Jimrpg

Steins;Gate VN takes a fair while longer than the anime to get going - the VN is 25-30 hrs long, but the anime is just 8 hours.

damn...your avatar is cute as hell *image searchs on google*

really makes me wish Nioh was on sale now.

I think its from the Nioh TGS Okatsu trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YA02GiK8hU

How about Atelier Sophie, I hear lots of good things about it, and they don't get discounted very much. Sophie is the first one in the Mysterious series (next one is Firis which is also out), so it'd be good to start on that.
I played one of the Atelier games on PS3 and it wasn't for me. Too much focus on alchemy, potion making and stuff like that.

There's a story which is very simple, but it has multiple endings depending on some special conditions in some levels. It's something that you need a guide if you want all endings.

The game is also full of content so there's two campaigns (the original, Blood Ties, and the new one Nightmare Princess) plus a ton of challenges and even level editor IIRC.

The puzzle part comes from chaining one trap into another. The things gets more complicated because some enemies might be invulnerable against some traps or you might need to break their armor in a certain specific way. The game really pushes you to be creative on how to use the traps.

You probably thought it was a SRPG because you set the traps in tiles. But the game is more about planning the traps and luring people into it.

About Neptunia and FFF, try them on another sale. Neptunia isn't with too much fan service as some might believe and FFF is a solid game.
Hmmm... I'm very intrigued by these descriptions. But looking at the price I'm $0.07 short. I don't wanna buy a new PSN card just for that and I already have Berseria and Gravity Rush to play through. Hmmm... I'm not sure. I might get it before the sale ends.

Anyway, thank you for the responses guys. Especially you SephLuis.

LiK

It's a must play.

jrush64

Banned
Gravity Rush 2, yeah i'm not enjoying this game right now. Trial and Passage, what kind of boring mission is this.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Why did nobody tell me how good Ys Celceta was? I swear I remember people mostly saying it was bad. So glad I picked it up based on franchise recognition alone.

hongcha

Why did nobody tell me how good Ys Celceta was? I swear I remember people mostly saying it was bad. So glad I picked it up based on franchise recognition alone.

It's a great game. The visuals are a little blurry due to the lower res (which is why people rag on it), but the game itself is pure fun. Not to be missed if you have a Vita and like Ys games.

Top Bottom