• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PSN Pre-Orderers Beware: All Sales Are Final

Symbiotx

Sony support sucks hard. It all depends on who you get to talk to and what they'll let you get away with. The policies are bad. Really bad.

vg260

So you would preorder it for the 100 get 15 back but then try and refund it? What?

Possibly, yes. There might be a scenario where the promo tempted you to pre-order, but a reason popped up later to make you change your mind. Of course, it would not be reasonable to expect a full refund, and it should be minus the $15 in this scenario.

Fisty

I think they should definitely give refunds until the weekend before at least. They don't charge you for the preorder in EU until it preloads, correct? That seems fair.

But yeah OP, it says in the TOS, I'm the game description on the preorder page, AND on the popup screen confirming before you place the preorder that all sales are final.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
most us purchases are pretty much final, you gotta be pretty confident in the stuff you're buying digitally from now on.

Fisty

It's against the terms of service to have multiple accounts?

It's usually a region thing I assume, Sony probably gets like 5000 calls a day for refunds because a different region has it go on sale or price error occurs. I do believe buying outside your region is technically against the TOS

I preordered Persona 5 a couple days ago and it clearly stated all sales are final unless required by law. Seems pretty standard.

you preordered destiny 2 digitally without seeing a second of actual gameplay footage? consumers are dumb
I mean, this just seems like you're going a roundabout way to call me dumb. I'm not disagreeing with you, just would appreciate if you didn't do it in a passive-aggressive way.

It's usually a region thing I assume, Sony probably gets like 5000 calls a day for refunds because a different region has it go on sale or price error occurs. I do believe buying outside your region is technically against the TOS
Huh, I've done test where they specifically instructed us to create accounts in alternate regions. I have a European, Australian, and US PSN account.

You can keep trying different reps, although I dunno if they have recorded that you asked for a refund and other ones will refuse. I definitely wouldn't mention wanting it in another region. You could I guess say you are moving in a few weeks due to a job or something, I assume thats true since what other reason would you want to play in another region - massive lag, matchmaking issues, etc if you are actually going to try to play in a region other than your own.

ALL pre orders get beta access, including amazon and best buy pre orders. Both of which allow you to cancel. I got my pre order code a few minutes after I ordered on best buy - I ordered the collectors edition too.

You did get a benefit from pre ordering, the beta access, so cancelling now is kinda weird because Sony has given you something and if you cancel they can't take it back (the pre order code goes into bungie.net). I'm not siding with them, after all you could play the beta, decide the game sucks, and you should be able to cancel but I can see their POV.

For anyone else thinking about pre ordering digitally, I would definitely WAIT. Wait for the next $100/15 promo on PSN, it rolls around every few months. It'll drop the digital deluxe cost from $100 to $85, if you absolutely must have beta early access you can pre order on amazon/best buy and get it now and cancel after beta. I'm 99% sure I will pre order digitally, I really enjoyed Destiny 1, warts and all, but I'm gonna wait for the beta to make sure the game is still reasonably similar.

Xbox has the advantage here. They make you jump through hoops but I was able to cancel a preorder with them. Steam lets you refund up to 14 days or 2 hours of play. Sony needs to change this. Unfortunately op you have no good recourse.

Lee

MS has refunded games for me before.

MS will refund one game per account. You can play it and say you don't like it and they will refund you, but after that one refund is used they won't offer another. At least that's been my experience. Got a refund for CoD Ghosts after a month just for asking, but when MCC came out completely unplayable, they refused to refund because my one courtesy refund had already been used.

As for preorders, they will cancel them with no issue.

DOWN

Banned
This is all preorders are for. There is zero benefit to the consumer for preordering, especially AAA titles and especially digitally. Preordering exists to that GameStop or Sony can have some or all of your money early without giving you anything for it. There's no benefit to the consumer other than the "feeling" that you are buying into a game you are hyped for, and these companies prey on that. As consumers please stop spending money for something that has zero benefit to you.

Eh there's no consequence for preordering with those stores for physical and you may get something you want for doing it. If you don't like it, you can cancel it before picking it up or before release if you don't like the review scores or whatever. You can have your money back in that situation.

It's digital where it's a bad idea

Spman2099

If you are going to pre-order Amazon is the way to go. They reward you by giving you twenty percent off the price, you can also cancel a pre-order if the reviews come out looking a little sub-par.

The only problem is that they never get the game to you on launch. Hell, apparently my copy of Persona 5 doesn't even ship until tomorrow.

test_account

XP-39C²
Its a pity if they cant resolve cases like this. Its like they're looking at the rules black and white, not seeing the situation in itself. Really makes little sense why you at least wouldnt be able to get PSN store credit back.

It certainly is a shitty policy, and not an uncommon one.

Fortunately, before purchasing a pre-order, Sony provides a massive text box that takes up your entire screen that clearly and concisely states that pre-orders cannot be refunded. People contemplating making a pre-order must see this screen and then hit "confirm" to continue with the purchase.

As long as people aren't lazy enough to mash buttons through this blatant prompt or willfully ignore it, this isn't a problem (not to mention the no refunds warning is also displayed on the given game's page, and I believe in banner text on any pre-order pages/promotions, though I'm not certain about that).

That said, hopefully some kind CS rep will offer you a "one-time" refund out of the goodness of their heart.

It certainly is a shitty policy, and not an uncommon one.

Fortunately, before purchasing a pre-order, Sony provides a massive text box that takes up your entire screen that clearly and concisely states that pre-orders cannot be refunded. People contemplating making a pre-order must see this screen and then hit "confirm" to continue with the purchase.

As long as people aren't lazy enough to mash buttons through this blatant prompt or willfully ignore it, this isn't a problem (not to mention the no refunds warning is also displayed on the given game's page, and I believe in banner text on any pre-order pages/promotions, though I'm not certain about that).

That said, hopefully some kind CS rep will offer you a "one-time" refund out of the goodness of their heart.
Sony should change their policy out of improving their service. I don't even want an exception to the rule at this point. I want the rule changed. I want better service for everyone. It's shit and no amount of disclaimers and warnings makes it not shit. There's literally no reason to have such a policy other than to legally keep people's money when they no longer wish to spend it on an upcoming product, so how is that treating your customers well?

Like don't call it a pre-order if it's a pre-sale. It's not an order if it can't be cancelled. The language is misleading.

Koppai

I bought some Miku DLC and they refunded me and took the license away. But as a one time courtesy. I know its not a preorder but i would just try another rep.

Ossom

What are the states its required by law in anyway?

We have 14 days in England to change our mind for online purchases by law. It's great.

Alternative answer to OP: you should have pre ordered The fractured but whole and then your refund would have been automatic.

Top Bottom