• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Retail Musings [1/20 - 2/2]

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I figured I could just bi-weekly these threads, as retail has slowed to a crawl lately. Not much is going on to warrant a multi-page thread anymore. Without further ado...the musings:

Wii -

Still as popular as ever. That is to say, if we had actually gotten any consoles in for the PAST 4 WEEKS, we would've sold all of them (and more). We still get tons of calls, which leads me to believe that the shortage exists on a retail level as a whole. Damn stingy Nintendo to hell is all I have to say. Thankfully, our sweet Nintendo rep, who is a hilarious fangirl brought in some new shwaggy "Wii Product is Currently Out of Stock" signs! Congratulations, Nintendo, with the effort and money you spent to create and distribute these signs, you could've opened up or 1-year leased a plant and set it up for drastically increased manufacture of your hot item. You continue to fail on a supreme level at meeting demand.

On the games side of things, Nothing has been selling amazingly well. We got a large shipment of Guitar Hero III's in finally, after more than a month without any in sight. They promptly sold out in a matter of hours. We got some DDR's in stock and those sold out fairly quickly, too. Super Mario Galaxy, our late much-appreciated restock of Mario and Sonic, and Wii Play have sold very well, considering the time of year that it is. Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity has been sold through customer inquests, as well as Game Party (a 20 dollar shovelware game that we sell) Rayman Raving Rabbids sells here and there, as does Super Monkey Ball.

360 - Entering week 3 without 360s, other than 2 arcades that we received. During this musings period, we received none, and therefore sold none. Needless to say, MS is retarded. Not in the Nintendo sense. Nintendo at least has incredible and unparalled worldwide demand to deal with. Microsoft has 1 strong territory to deal with and can't even supply that one well. Every retail store in America that wants them should be fully stocked with 360's. If the 360 breaks 150,000 in the USA in January's NPD, I will be shocked.

In software, Call of Duty 4 has seen renewed interest. It is selling briskly. Guitar Hero III saw great restocks in this two week period and sold out of all of them. We sold at least 4 Rock Band's this last week, as well. DDR also saw a few sales. It is one of those titles that will always sell when they are in stock. Nothing else is selling overly well on the 360, although a few football, basketball, Burnout's, and Halo 3's have been sold.

PS3 -

In a stunning upset (and thanks to MS' terrible shipment strategy), the PS3 outsold the 360 infinitely better. In the last two weeks, the tally is 1 PS3 to 0 360's. Better luck next time, MS! Congrats are definitely in order for Sony and their 1 console sale in my store across the last 14 days. I can see why this might be, btw. Target had a deal on Sony Blu-Ray standalones with a 100 dollar gift card deal this last week and that diverted people away from the PS3 and towards the standalone, imo. PS3s of both models (the 80 GB model is NOT discontinued at Target, btw) are in full supply across the region, totaling no less than 120 in stock across 10 stores.

On the Games side, nothing has been a heavy hitter, but we sold a few copies of MX vs ATV Unleashed, Some basketball games, and 3 copies of Burnout. I believe a couple copies of CoD4 and AC were sold as well. One Rock Band and 2 GHIII's were also sold.

NDS -

We sold out of DS's about a week ago and our Nintendo rep brought us "Out of Stock" signs instead of more systems. Great Job Nintendo! Regardless, we did have about 30 DS's to sell the week before that and sold them pretty briskly for a non-holiday period.

Mario and Sonic has been popular this week. Advance Wars sold out as well of our initial shipment. So good for good taste on the DS! Brain Age 1 and 2 sold well on the DS as well this week. Other usual suspects sold well. NSMB, Mario Party DS, Pokemon D & P, and Pet games of all varieties.

PSP -

I was so excited two weeks ago when our Piano Black Core PSPs got back into stock. Unfortunately, we haven't sold one yet since then.

Kids have been in buying games for their Christmas presents, though. So that is a good sign. a few copies of Sonic Rivals, Daxter, the new SOCOM game, Star Wars Rebellion, and Logan's Shadow have sold through. Nothing really commands a great deal of interest on the system, though. Kids kind of convince themselves (or their parents help them) to buy a certain game, as if they have no prior knowledge of the system's games before they come in. This is the only system I routinely see this happen on. It seems like everywhere else, kids and adults know exactly what their options and what they are looking for is before they get in.

PS2 -

Good upswing lately in PS2 console sales. Lots of married couples spending gift cards on the system with GHIII or a couple greatest Hits games here and there. Also Need for Speed Pro Street has been popular. We got 2 PS2 Rockbands in during the period and they sold quickly. Lots of calls, as well.

Lots of talk about SSBB, not so much for DMC4 or really anything else. Although I did overhear a tween mentioning God of War: Chains of Olympus that he was desiring for the PSP.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I wouldn't call its sales brisk, but it has sold a few copies in the last month. People that have purchased FFTA and AW have acknowledged that they really enjoy it, too.

AFAIK, Target is too stupid to sell NMH in stores, only online. :( Sorry dude.

Andy787

Banned
Normally I would say these kinds of threads are stupid and meaningless, but considering your store manages to sell one next generation console in a span of merely fourteen days, I think it is important to get this information out.

Kyoufu

Andy787 said:
Normally I would say these kinds of threads are stupid and meaningless, but considering your store manages to sell one next generation console in a span of merely fourteen days, I think it is important to get this information out.

:lol

Exactly what I was thinking.

Better get in before the sales-age-haters decide to show up... I don't know what to think for the January NPD Predictions, its going to be an even bigger shot in the dark than December was.

lambchop said:
what is the point of these threads? you sell one ps3 .. and zero 360's ..what kinda sample space is this?

+1. I haven't been following these threads AB, so I'm not in the know. Could you explain why this is important? where you work? etc?

I mean to me, all it seems like is one persons views of what goes on in their store. *shrug* And really not a large snapshot if it's a smaller store.

AlteredBeast said:
I figured I could just bi-weekly these threads, as retail has slowed to a crawl lately. Not much is going on to warrant a multi-page thread anymore. Without further ado...the musings:

My feelings exactly, in the UK, not much different is happening from previous weeks (how much more can i say we run out of Wiis and DS every single week) and with PAL charts occuring every week, it semi-mirrors my musings anyways, so kind of pointless with my thread.

Hey, maybe when GTA4 hits, i will make a thread about how the PS3/X360 is doing..

No dude, dont stop, obviously it isn't representative of the entire industry, but to some of us it is certainly interesting.

Those that find it useless, I ask, how on Earth does the existence of these threads annoy you?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
This thread is for all retail videogame workers to post their impressions and random going-ons this past week. This is not my personal diary. I can't believe that some of you people still don't get it.

This thread is for all retail videogame workers to post their impressions and random going-ons this past week. This is not my personal diary. I can't believe that some of you people still don't get it.

Andy787

Banned
AlteredBeast said:

livejournal.com

Andy787 said:
livejournal.com
If you don't like it, find another thread. Some of us find this interesting, so rather than coming in here and shitting up the thread why don't you just ignore it?

AniHawk

Psychotext said:
If you don't like it, find another thread. Some of us find this interesting, so rather than coming in here and shitting up the thread why don't you just ignore it?

Actually, I'm forcing him to read it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The M.O.B said:
Gaf: I don't get it, what are these threads about?

Gaf: But I still don't get it, what are these threads about?

Tit fucking

AniHawk

Andy787 said:
Sorry guys, blame Anihawk.

Stop being such an asshole, Anihawk.
Shut up and read the fucking topic.

Here's some more sales for you Andy:

Wii: Ship more systems Nintendo.

PS3: This thing is not fucking selling.

Andy787

Banned
AniHawk said:
Shut up and read the fucking topic.

Here's some more sales for you Andy:

Wii: Ship more systems Nintendo.

PS3: This thing is not fucking selling.
Why do you fucking care so much how the Wii is not selling because Nintendo is not shipping any systems and how the PS3 is not selling any systems and how the Xbox 360 is selling one system, Anihawk?

Vagabundo

I like these treads.

Andy787 said:
Why do you fucking care so much how the Wii is not selling because Nintendo is not shipping any systems and how the PS3 is not selling any systems and how the Xbox 360 is selling one system?

Cry much?? :'(

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Seems like the first page is always some turd going around saying "Why does this thread even exist?" and then there are like 40 people backing up AlteredBeast because we are interested in it. We get like fucking 4 Godhand threads a day, why can't we have this one?

Snah

Banned
Andy787 said:
Why do you fucking care so much how the Wii is not selling because Nintendo is not shipping any systems and how the PS3 is not selling any systems and how the Xbox 360 is selling one system, Anihawk?

(neutral) AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.

Andy787

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Seems like the first page is always some turd going around saying "Why does this thread even exist?" and then there are like 40 people backing up AlteredBeast because we are interested in it. We get like fucking 4 Godhand threads a day, why can't we have this one?
The difference is God Hand deserves four threads a day.

Nocebo

lambchop said:
what is the point of these threads? you sell one ps3 .. and zero 360's ..what kinda sample space is this?

What is the point of this post? There are several posters above you who are interested in this information, so that means there's a point. Just because you don't think it has a point doesn't mean there isn't a point for others. If it bothers you so much, stay the fuck away?

EDIT:
Thanks for the detailed information Altered, I'm especially interested in how the software sells.

Andy787 said:
What's it to you what people are interested in?

Can mods step in here? These "do not care about musing" people are getting pathetic.

PS3s of both models (the 80 GB model is NOT discontinued at Target, btw) are in full supply across the region, totaling no less than 120 in stock across 10 stores.

So 80gb are discontinued everywhere, but Target? Has Sony announced a stoppage in production of 80gbs yet?

apujanata

Andy787
(Today, 05:39 PM)

you know, there is a reason why, inspite of the 5,600+ post he made, he is still a junior member. I think I found out the reason today, in this thread.

Andy787 said:
The difference is God Hand deserves four threads a day.
Andy787 : Confirmed turd #1 (according to this)

AlternativeUlster said:

Why does OP need to stop this? It's just one guy posting what it's like at his store. If you don't like it then read another thread. It's not hurting anyone. Nobody is being fooled into thinking this is a preview of the monthly sales stats. It's clearly a sample size of 1 store and thus has little correlation with the big results. If you're interested then cool, if not then leave.

Top Bottom