• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US, Russia prepared to announce cease-fire in southwest Syria starting Sunday: Report

bluenote

Neo Member
I'm having a hard time understanding how a US/Russian ceasefire is going to save thousands of lives in the Syrian Civil War. I'm sure there's some nuance I'm missing, but this just comes off like some blatantly telegraphed political theater.

"See, this Putin guy isn't so bad after all!"

Trump & Puty <3 Syrians

Because having the US and Russia there is further complicating an already complicated war. It's never a good thing when 2 nuclear armed nations are at war (either directly or indirectly). One plane shot down by "accident" could escalate things in a hurry.

I do agree though, I don't know if this will save thousands of lives, but I think this is a good thing overall. We'll find out eventually what each other's motives are, but on face value this is good I believe.

TarNaru33

Banned
Except that literally thousands of lives would be saved in Syria?

The word forgive is not the correct one here. Sorry, but I don't feel one should be forgiven automatically because they rolled back a bit when they were/are a huge reason the conflict lasted this long and the death toll is so high.

Also this is a ceasefire for southwest of Syria, which reeks of attempting to keep Damascus out of the fighting as a safe haven. I don't like it, not to mention who knows if the actual fighting parties agreed to this or not.

No forgiveness wouldnt be acceptable since Russia started all their shit to begin with. They have done a bunch of unprovoked shit and definitely do not earn any good points for walking them back,e specially after the shit they have pulled lately.

Putin is not a good guy but let's not lie to ourselves here, the US foreign policy started all this mess, when the Soviet Union fell they made all the wrong decisions.

EDITED_conflicts_graph-12.jpg

Yep. Who knew all it would take was Russia agreeing to a "ceasefire"?

darscot

Could give two shits whether or not sanctions are lifted from Russia

Do care about violence stopping in Syria.

So assimilating a country with a phoney election is all good these days and there should be no repercussion for this. I hope you feel the same when your country is just absorbed into Russia.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
"forgiveness" wouldn't be acceptable for saving thousands of lives in Syria? Bc to me it is.

You can always add sanctions no?

With this Congress?

Lololololol

Besides, Russia has a long recent history of ignoring ceasefire agreements.

when did a Syria ceasefire actually mean anything

Russia might claim it but Iran and it's militias will just move on and do what they do

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Congress is very pro-sanctions though.

Did you miss the fact that it's not, cited in this very thread by the fact the the House is holding up the sanctions bill? I mean, your interpretation is proven incorrect just a few posts above yours.

when did a Syria ceasefire actually mean anything

Russia might claim it but Iran and it's militias will just move on and do what they do

Thats the thing, you have so many other state actors: Iran, Israel, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey, UAE.

The ceasefire implies Russia and the US can control their actions but reality says thats not the case

Top Bottom