US Shutdown Delayed Boeing's Software Fix

dragonfart28

Gab Ambassador
Jun 12, 2009
Oh boy

Boeing, which said it was working with the Federal Aviation Administration "on development, planning and certification of the software enhancement," said the fix will be on 737 Max planes no later than April.
But the company's software update had initially been expected in early January, the Journal reported.
Boeing and FAA officials couldn't agree on how extensive the software enhancement should be, the newspaper reported. US officials also said the recent government shutdown, the longest in US history, delayed work on the update for five weeks, the Journal noted.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/03/13/...software/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:

dragonfart28

Gab Ambassador
Jun 12, 2009
There's something going on here.

Ethiopian Airlines has decided to send the black box from its crashed airplane to Europe for analysis, rather than to the United States where the Boeing 737 Max 8 was manufactured.
The decision, in defiance of U.S. requests, is the latest sign of the world’s growing distrust of the United States on aviation safety issues. While U.S. regulators and Boeing have continued to insist that the Max 8 is safe, most other countries have ordered the grounding of the aircraft, leaving the United States increasingly isolated on the safety issue.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp...oeing-737-max-8-to/?__twitter_impression=true

Made in America is the new Made in China.

Mar 12, 2014
Nothing deflects from two plane crashes like saying ORANGE MAN BAD!

What utter bullshit. Trying to politicize their failure to deliver proper software before human beings were carted around the sky in their high tech planes.

Sep 4, 2018
the company's software update had initially been expected in early January, the Journal reported.
pathetic, typical passing the buck. the gov't shutdown started on December 22, 2018. early January was like 1 week away. maybe they shouldn't have waited until the last minute to agree on a crucial update.

Boeing and FAA officials couldn't agree on how extensive the software enhancement should be
ah so the private company wanted to save money, customer lives be damned, & waited out gov't regulators until the last possible minute. this happens a whole lot, remember the BP offshore disaster?

but yes let's blame Trump /s

Last edited:

dragonfart28

Gab Ambassador
Jun 12, 2009
So much for confidence in the US Administration's opinion of the plane's performance.

FAA stands nearly alone in support of Max 8

On Wednesday, Canada's minister of transport said the country would no longer allow Boeing 737 Max 8 or 9 aircraft to take off or land in Canada. A day earlier, the European Union suspended operations of the Boeing 737 Max 8 model. That followed announcements from countries in Asia, Africa and the Middle East declaring use of the plane forbidden, for now.
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/13/po...-faa/index.html?r=https://www.google.ca/&rm=1

Dec 23, 2008
NYC
Who needs modern software?

Digital. They have digital. What is digital?

THIS IS AMERICA. WE'RE GONNA HAVE WOODEN AIRPLANES THAT RUN ON GODDAMN STEAM. Believe me.

And Mexico's gonna pay for it.

#MAGA

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2009
Boeing is not a private company. In fact now might be a great time to buy given the huge drop.

If only the Democrats had only come to work.......Trump stayed in Washington ready to go and move forward. #lazystupiddemocrats
"If we don't get what we want ... I will shut down the government. And I am proud to shut down the government for border security.... I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it. "

Smells like b.s. to me.

Also this is why I don't fly. Maybe I would for a special trip outside the us but damn between pilots suiciding and pure negligence its pretty scary
I hope you don't drive either because that is statistically much more dangerous.

Dec 3, 2013
Boeing is not a private company. In fact now might be a great time to buy given the huge drop.

"If we don't get what we want ... I will shut down the government. And I am proud to shut down the government for border security.... I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it. "

I hope you don't drive either because that is statistically much more dangerous.
You know what I mean, we're not talking about stocks.

I'm talking a difference between DARPA and Boeing.

Apr 9, 2009
You know what I mean, we're not talking about stocks.

I'm talking a difference between DARPA and Boeing.
I'd argue at this point that difference is arbitrary. Consider that our government, both parties including Trump, bend the knee to contractors. Their profits go into governments' pocket via contributions. We did not pursue the Kashoggi killing further, for example, specifically to protect Boeing and Lockheed jobs.

Cost cutting keeps being done because our government doesn't do enough to deter it and even actively fights against it when it comes to deregulation. We definitely can & should hold Boeing accountable, plausible excuse or no, but in the same way an addict has a dealer so too does a corp have a lobbyist.

Mar 1, 2017
If only the Democrats had only come to work.......Trump stayed in Washington ready to go and move forward. #lazystupiddemocrats
Jesus christ. Maybe take some time to learn about american govt instead of having to subject everyone to your drivel

That being said, I am very skeptical about the veracity of op's claims

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2013
I'd argue at this point that difference is arbitrary. Consider that our government, both parties including Trump, bend the knee to contractors. Their profits go into governments' pocket via contributions. We did not pursue the Kashoggi killing further, for example, specifically to protect Boeing and Lockheed jobs.

Cost cutting keeps being done because our government doesn't do enough to deter it and even actively fights against it when it comes to deregulation. We definitely can & should hold Boeing accountable, plausible excuse or no, but in the same way an addict has a dealer so too does a corp have a lobbyist.
I will not argue with that, but the thread is them trying to pass the blame and not take accountability.

I call bullshit.

Feb 23, 2016
pathetic, typical passing the buck. the gov't shutdown started on December 22, 2018. early January was like 1 week away. maybe they shouldn't have waited until the last minute to agree on a crucial update.

ah so the private company wanted to save money, customer lives be damned, & waited out gov't regulators until the last possible minute. this happens a whole lot, remember the BP offshore disaster?

but yes let's blame Trump /s

man if only we could put regulations on them oh wait orange man say regulations bad bad for business he been getting rid of all dez obama regulations we should clearly trust companies who only care about the the next year profit being larger also we should give them bigger tax cuts because companies just hire people when they have money trickle down economics am i rite.

Feb 22, 2018
Boeing rushes aircraft out of the factory; serious flaws, incidents start cropping up, orders dry up, fleets grounded.

Blame DRUMPFPFPFRPF.

man if only we could put regulations on them oh wait orange man say regulations bad
Name a single government run company that has produced better and more reliable passenger aircraft than Airbus or Boeing.

I'll wait.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017

And another American death from an illegal alien just took place. We need a wall. We’ve needed one for DECADES. Trump stayed in Washington DC over the shutdown and the Democrats took vacations. At least he is trying to do something to prevent what has been happening for many many years. How many more Angel families before enough is enough?

Sep 1, 2017
Jesus christ. Maybe take some time to learn about american govt instead of having to subject everyone to your drivel

That being said, I am very skeptical about the veracity of op's claims
Oh no, not an opinion you don’t like! Sorry you can’t handle the truth, pal. Who has the likes? Looks like I do!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017
WOW Holy shit. If only Trump had done his job and kept the government open instead of folding like a cheap suit a month later after the shutdown that accomplished nothing.
You are about to see what it accomplished. It was all posturing for the National Emergency to get the wall built.

Apr 9, 2009
And another American death from an illegal alien just took place. We need a wall. We’ve needed one for DECADES. Trump stayed in Washington DC over the shutdown and the Democrats took vacations. At least he is trying to do something to prevent what has been happening for many many years. How many more Angel families before enough is enough?
He wasn't trying when there was republican majority in both chambers of congress which could have easily gone from committee to his desk in months unopposed. He wasn't trying when he turned down a 25 billion dollar proposal for the wall across 10 years just because it didn't explicitly end the visa lottery.

Its almost like the government shutdown was a political stunt done by his administration at the expense of the american taxpayer or something.

You are about to see what it accomplished. It was all posturing for the National Emergency to get the wall built.
At least you're no longer trying to claim that the fraction he ended up with in the compromise was a win. Even Hannity recognized that as the concession it was.

Dec 3, 2018
There's something going on here.
I'm not really following this story, but the conspiracy groups are suggesting that it might have been intentional (given that 19 UN officials died in the accident) and that the reason everybody is suspicious is because the US has a way to control these airplanes remotely. Seems far fetched (none of the UN officials were important, as far as I know), but it wouldn't be the conspiracy group otherwise.

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
I guess what's going on is that they distrust the US government because Boeing is a big American company and so a conflict of interest may arise. Europe houses tha largest competitor, so it may, additionally, even be in the interest of a European institute to put extra effort into finding issues with the airplane. Which, in turn, would be beneficial to the airline, because they could then point towards Boeing as the solely responsible party (and also get financial compensation from Boeing).

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Trumps shutdown continues to cause even more damage even after its over and all of it because of a fucking wall that nobody other than Trumps base wants.

Unbelievable.
That is, assuming the software upgrade would have prevented the crashs, which is certainly part of the investigation that will commence. It would be a very unfortunate finding if the shutdown indeed had that effect, considering what stupidity was behind the shutdown in the first place. And also considering Trump demonstrated that his understanding of the rights of the president do not even necessitate such a play.

Jan 12, 2008
Nothing deflects from two plane crashes like saying ORANGE MAN BAD!

What utter bullshit. Trying to politicize their failure to deliver proper software before human beings were carted around the sky in their high tech planes.
Indeed. If the FAA and Boeing knew there was an issue that needed fixing they should've grounded the plane instantly regardless of the shutdown.

There is no doubt there's too much co-mingling between the FAA and Boeing at this point.

Boeing makes great planes but now they have screwed up two plane launches with bad design decisions (Dreamliner L-ion batteries catching fire) and now the AOA sensors and accompanying software on the new Max planes. Own up, ground the planes, fix the problems. Lives and safety first.

Last edited:

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Aerophobe here.

737 is a 65 years old model, should be tested/ironed out as fuck.
But then, Boeing installs new, much more efficient engines onto it, and it has such a big impact on aerodynamics of the plane, they slap additional piece of software onto it, to compensate: the MCAS.
MCAS basically prevents planes from stall-ing (when plan starts to uncontrollably rotate around vertical axis and falls down) which happens when nose sort of gets too high for a given speed:

and there is a catch, the software makes this decision based on data reported by sensors, if sensors are faulty, a plane can on its own decide to dive.
Pilots can intervene, but:
a) it takes time
b) they actually need to be trained to realize MCAS f*cked up and how to fix it quickly

Else, this is what happens (just 5 month ago):

Nobody is 100% sure what happened with the Ethiopian Airlines' plane, but most likely it is again MCAS + broken sensor + pilots didn't manage to address the problem in time.
Notably, in the flight preceding the crash, that very plane did dive for no reason during flight, according to the flightradar.

Donald Dump strikes again
Even barring the fact nobody knows for sure neither what caused the crash, nor that the mentioned software upgrade would somehow help it (in my humble opinion, it wouldn't, you at the very list you need to re-train pilots), it reminds me this Russian meme: Казалось бы. причём здесь Лужков?

There were black PR news "series" on Russian TV in mid 90th, that would start with "something bad happened" out there somewhere, and the host would then ask "you'd wonder, what does Luzhkov have to do with it?" and make a mind boggling connection.

So, "You'd wonder, what does Trump have to do with it".... :)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017
Trumps shutdown continues to cause even more damage even after its over and all of it because of a fucking wall that nobody other than Trumps base wants.

Unbelievable.
right on cue.....nothing to do with malfunctioning planes...all orange man's fault. Must be fun going through life being so utterly delusional

Oct 24, 2018
Did I say it was all his fault, I didn't? Oh okay just making sure.
You did sweetums. Here you go.
Trumps shutdown continues to cause even more damage
Aw, are you going to try to semantics about how you didn't write ORANGE MAN KILL PLANE verbatim? Or semantics about the word 'all' in your 2nd post? Sorry booh, that ain't gonna cut it to deny the shit that just came out of you. Maybe write a strategic passage blaming Boeing next time, before moving on to Trump. It dilutes the whole "you really dont seem to give a fuck about anything other than having flimsiest excuse to go orangemanbad, no matter how dishonest and repulsive it is" image you created.

You're a basic Dunning-Krueger that thinks he's sly but is actually laughably inept. Transparent, and seeing how you instantly used the 100+ deaths to fuel your derangament about Trump without hesitation, pretty fucking rotten as a human being.

Sep 1, 2017
He wasn't trying when there was republican majority in both chambers of congress which could have easily gone from committee to his desk in months unopposed. He wasn't trying when he turned down a 25 billion dollar proposal for the wall across 10 years just because it didn't explicitly end the visa lottery.

Its almost like the government shutdown was a political stunt done by his administration at the expense of the american taxpayer or something.

At least you're no longer trying to claim that the fraction he ended up with in the compromise was a win. Even Hannity recognized that as the concession it was.
There was a big problem with the long term wall payment option: it could be neutered by Congress by limiting funding and slow killing it outright over time. It just wasn't a good option. By using the executive order the wall could be built much faster by the Pentagon by utilizing the military. Trump knew it. He is playing along slowly setting the board up and getting all of the pieces into place. He knew he had the time to do it and has used it to his advantage. He could afford make the concession and then come in to sweep the board in one fell swoop. He gave the round but will win the game.

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
The

Fun fact: The United States isn't a democracy it's a constitutional republic. Google is your friend.
Fun fact: Representativ democracy (e.g. federal constitutional republic) is a form of democracy. Subsets are your friends.

Or, to give you the courtesy you deny others: You are basically saying "A macaw is not a bird, it is a parrot".