US to suspend nuclear pact

Jan 7, 2018
https://www.apnews.com/9fe0dbe2ae0a42cd93ebc2d5f47dbb7b

BRUSSELS (AP) — The United States will suspend its obligations under a landmark nuclear treaty in 60 days in response to Russia’s alleged violation of the pact, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday.

Pompeo announced the decision after NATO allies meeting in Brussels supported Washington’s contention that Russia violated the terms of the 1987 Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty.

“We either bury our head in the sand or we take common sense action,” he said.

Accusing Russia of “cheating at its arms control obligations,” Pompeo said a six-month notice period for leaving the treaty would start in 60 days.

President Donald Trump previously threatened to withdraw from the treaty signed by Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev.

Washington alleges Russia’s new SSC8 missile system contravenes the Cold War-era treaty, which bans all land-based cruise missiles with a range between 500 and 5,500 kilometers (310-3,410 miles).

Pompeo said Washington “would welcome a Russian change of heart” but that he has seen no indication Moscow is likely to comply.

Earlier Tuesday, foreign ministers from other NATO member countries said in a statement that they “strongly support the finding of the United States that Russia is in material breach of its obligations” under the arms pact.

They called on Russia “to return urgently to full and verifiable compliance. It is now up to Russia to preserve the INF Treaty.”

Russia’s new SSC8 missile system is of major concern to NATO allies. The U.S. has shared intelligence evidence that the ground-fired cruise missile could give Moscow the ability to launch a nuclear strike in Europe with little or no notice.

Jan 7, 2018
The Latest: Russia says it 'strictly complies' with treaty

https://www.apnews.com/73bc3d41f91847e89b89bf0b9841a0ec

BRUSSELS (AP) — The Latest on a meeting of foreign ministers from NATO nations: (all times local):

7:20 p.m.

The Russian Foreign Ministry is denying U.S. and NATO allegations that Russia is violating a landmark nuclear that banned an entire class of weapons.

Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told reporters in Moscow on Tuesday: “Russia strictly complies with the provisions of the treaty, and the American side is aware of that,”

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced at a NATO meeting in Brussels Tuesday that Washington would suspend its obligations under the 1987 pact in 60 days due to Russia’s alleged “cheating.”

NATO foreign ministers at the meeting agreed with Washington’s assertion that a new Russian missile system violates the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF) signed by President Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev.

Russia has repeatedly denied the U.S. claims, insisting the SSC8 missile system at the core of the allegations does not exceed ranges stipulated by the treaty.

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
I don't think a nuclear arms race is technically a bad thing, but mostly because I'm really confident we'd come out ahead and those kinds of things typically accelerate scientific progress in that field quite a bit :p

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
I don't think a nuclear arms race is technically a bad thing, but mostly because I'm really confident we'd come out ahead and those kinds of things typically accelerate scientific progress in that field quite a bit :p
Come out ahead? If either runner reaches the finish line we all lose.

May 22, 2018
I honestly thought that by now despite all of Trumps countless scandals, fuck-ups, embarrassments, diplomatic faux-pas, policy mistakes, and overall inability to be a functional leader I would AT SOME POINT become immune to his stupidity and yet here I am just as dumbfounded as I was on day 1.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Dec 5, 2008
www.twitch.tv
I guess it's time for Cold War: Season 2.

Trying to look on the bright side instead of constant dispair something like this might lead to giant advancement in tech, maybe. IDK.

Jan 7, 2018
Putin threatens to ramp up missile development if U.S. scraps treaty

https://www.axios.com/russia-vladim...aty-744a105b-088d-4907-a837-970af6caa4d2.html

Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday that if the U.S. exits a Cold War-era missile treaty and begins developing new intermediate-range missiles, his country will follow suit, per the AP.

The backdrop: President Trump has threatened to withdraw from the landmark 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty — which bans land-based nuclear missiles in Europe — because Russia has developed and fielded a banned missile system. All 29 NATO members backed the U.S. accusation yesterday, saying: "It is now up to Russia to preserve the INF Treaty." Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the U.S. would begin withdrawal in 60 days if Russia remains in violation.

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

https://www.axios.com/russia-vladim...aty-744a105b-088d-4907-a837-970af6caa4d2.html

Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday that if the U.S. exits a Cold War-era missile treaty and begins developing new intermediate-range missiles, his country will follow suit, per the AP.

The backdrop: President Trump has threatened to withdraw from the landmark 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty — which bans land-based nuclear missiles in Europe — because Russia has developed and fielded a banned missile system. All 29 NATO members backed the U.S. accusation yesterday, saying: "It is now up to Russia to preserve the INF Treaty." Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the U.S. would begin withdrawal in 60 days if Russia remains in violation.
Putin is showing his hand.

"Don't scrap the treaty that is meant to reduce arms for the sake of peace. If you do, we'll make more missiles!"

I can't really give Russia the benefit of the doubt here.

May 16, 2005
I honestly thought that by now despite all of Trumps countless scandals, fuck-ups, embarrassments, diplomatic faux-pas, policy mistakes, and overall inability to be a functional leader I would AT SOME POINT become immune to his stupidity and yet here I am just as dumbfounded as I was on day 1.
Something tells me that if the situation was reversed, you would say the exact same thing.

As a matter if fact, I'm sure of it. Your all out of tricks, pony.

Mar 23, 2018
Make a trillion nukes, who cares nobody will ever use it.

Good that Trump is drawing a line.

Disappointing that we have to do it. Could Europe step up and advocate for itself, please? We're just as tired of guarding your backyard as you are of the USA "policing the world".
You aint guarding shit in Europe. Those basis's are just there to provide intel for your own goals and a easy way to deploy your forces if needed for your own goals. The reason europe allows this is easy money and nothing else.

Europe doesn't have to ramp up jack shit.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
St. Louis

All NATO countries are backing the accusation - that lends more credence to it. If this is true what are our options other than withdrawal?

Nov 8, 2018
All NATO countries are backing the accusation - that lends more credence to it. If this is true what are our options other than withdrawal?
NATO says and does as the USA tells them to, you can multiply any official military statement of the USA by x29 by default and in any situation. It would make a difference if the USA accusation were backed by any of China, India or at least Israel. European citizens are the ones least interested in the treaty withdrawal, because that will make them first targets (US bases with nukes spreaded all over Europe) of future weapons developed in violation of the still in-force treaty. US soil are out of range on the other part of the earth anyway, so they don't give a shit, and actually they will be glad, coz the treaty withdrawal will make a boom in the weaponry R&D, meaning more jobs, more money.

Feb 15, 2011
St. Louis
NATO says and does as the USA tells them to, you can multiply any official military statement of the USA by x29 by default and in any situation. It would make a difference if the USA accusation were backed by any of China, India or at least Israel. European citizens are the ones least interested in the treaty withdrawal, because that will make them first targets (US bases with nukes spreaded all over Europe) of future weapons developed in violation of the still in-force treaty. US soil are out of range on the other part of the earth anyway, so they don't give a shit, and actually they will be glad, coz the treaty withdrawal will make a boom in the weaponry R&D, meaning more jobs, more money.
That doesn’t make sense to me - aren’t there a lot of European countries in NATO? Why would they act against their own self interest and agree with a false accusation if the result was less safety for them?

Nov 8, 2018
That doesn’t make sense to me - aren’t there a lot of European countries in NATO? Why would they act against their own self interest and agree with a false accusation if the result was less safety for them?
NATO is a department of the US forces.

European citizens, not NATO servicemen who answer before the US, actually warried about the ongoing stuff:
Spiege: U.S. Withdrawal from Nuke Treaty Worries Europeans
With that in mind, politicians like Maas* have pledged to fight for the treaty "with all diplomatic means." In a recent phone call with his U.S. counterpart Mike Pompeo, Maas emphasized that Trump's move impacted the "core interests of European security architecture." But the Trump administration has often proven unmoved by European protestations.
*German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas

The Guardian: EU warns Trump of nuclear arms race risk after INF withdrawal move
“The INF contributed to the end of the cold war and constitutes a pillar of European security architecture since it entered into force 30 years ago,” a spokeswoman for the EU foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, said in a statement.
“Thanks to the INF treaty, almost 3,000 missiles with nuclear and conventional warheads have been removed and verifiably destroyed,” the statement said. “The world doesn’t need a new arms race that would benefit no one and on the contrary would bring even more instability.”
It is sad that Ms. Mogherini does not understand or does not wish to publicly admit that arm race will benefit US economy and Trump's military agenda.

Feb 15, 2011
St. Louis
NATO is a department of the US forces.
What are you basing this claim on? NATO is an alliance of many member nations of which the US is just one (influential) part.

European citizens, not NATO servicemen who answer before the US, actually warried about the ongoing stuff:
Spiege: U.S. Withdrawal from Nuke Treaty Worries Europeans

*German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas

The Guardian: EU warns Trump of nuclear arms race risk after INF withdrawal move

It is sad that Ms. Mogherini does not understand or does not wish to publicly admit that arm race will benefit US economy and Trump's military agenda.
My questions are asking if you disagree with NATO's assertion that Russia has violated the INF treaty. Your quotes clearly show Europeans would not be in favor of an arms race, so why would their foreign ministers back a NATO claim that would help make that happen?