• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US unemployment claims shatter record as coronavirus hammers economy

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009

The number of Americans filing for unemployment surged to 3.28 million last week, shattering a decades-old record in jobless claims as the coronavirus pandemic forced businesses around the country to shutter their doors.

The number eclipsed the previous record of 695,000 set in 1982 and is well above the levels seen in the midst of the 2008 financial crisis, the Labor Department said in its weekly report. The data date back to 1967.
Estimates varied drastically for how high the number of people who applied in mid-March for unemployment benefits would be, ranging from 1 million to 2.25 million Americans who lost their jobs during the period between March 15 and March 21, but economists agreed it would be grim.
Claims increased in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. with nine states reporting increases of at least 100,000 from the previous week. Pennsylvania reported the biggest number of claims, with 378,900, followed by Ohio at 187,000 and California at 186,000.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
It's only going to get worse. The number of cases and deaths just keeps rising and rising with no indication that it's gonna slow down anytime soon.

We are all in for a very long few months at best and even longer than that at worse. All we can do is hope that the shutdowns and calls for isolation do their job and help slow this thing down. And hope that the powers at be don't let their people down in the meantime.

Last edited:

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Controversial opinion: It's not America's fault, make China pay for all the damages they've brought.

Remember how people always argue that "America meddled in foreign countries thus they're responsible for their issues?

Well then, how come no one is using the same argument against China? The virus came from Wuhan and Wuhan alone, they need to foot the bill for this.

Tell Xi Jinping to pay for every American's lost salary. Or assuming we start importing Chinese products again, raise Tariffs by 500%.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Controversial opinion: It's not America's fault, make China pay for all the damages they've brought.

Remember how people always argue that "America meddled in foreign countries thus they're responsible for their issues?

Well then, how come no one is using the same argument against China? The virus came from Wuhan and Wuhan alone, they need to foot the bill for this.

Tell Xi Jinping to pay for every American's lost salary.
Good luck collecting that money.

May 22, 2018

Tell Xi Jinping to pay for every American's lost salary. Or assuming we start importing Chinese products again, raise Tariffs by 500%.
Yeah good luck with that.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Good luck collecting that money.
Actually, I know how.

Anytime someone sends money from the U.S to China, America imposes a heavy tax on it.

It's the same issue with U.S money flowing into Mexico. America just lets people come to their country and leave with their cash. Now is the opportunity to take 99% of it all back.

Or see my edit where I mentioned raise Tariffs. I don't care if it pisses off Apple or Walmart. If you want to buy Chinese products again, prepare to pay 2x the amount to import that stuff back inside America's borders.

If China gets angry, remind them how many U.S aircraft carriers are patrolling the oceans right now. They caused the collapse, the blood is on their hands.

Last edited:

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
Let's raise the bar for discussion instead of relying on such low effort, childish posts like these.
That's God bitch slapping Trump.

Edit: Trump should tone down the undeserved sense of arrogance.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Actually, I know how.

Anytime someone sends money from the U.S to China, America imposes a heavy tax on it.

It's the same issue with U.S money flowing into Mexico. America just lets people come to their country and leave with their cash. Now is the opportunity to take 99% of it all back.
That's a beautiful idea - I love it. All these little ethnic Chinese businesses (e.g. buffets, laundromats, etc.) that are cash cow money laundering operations for the Triad would make great revenue for the US government.

Reactions: DeepEnigma

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
We can't even call it a "Chinese Virus" without the mass media screaming "racism". There's been an incredible hitjob to divert China from all blame.

Make China pay up. They hid the evidence like it was Chernobyl.
The propagandists and their useful idiots are the not the majority, not matter how much they pretend to be.

Reactions: Cravis

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
We can't even call it a "Chinese Virus" without the mass media screaming "racism". There's been an incredible hitjob to divert China from all blame.

Make China pay up. They hid the evidence like it was Chernobyl.
The media is trying their damndest. Everyone I talk to in real life sees through their bullshit and calls it like it is, laying the blame at China’s feet.

Those simple minded people on Twitter and elsewhere, on the other hand.... hook, line, and sinker. They are predictable and gullible.

Reactions: DeepEnigma
May 22, 2018
That's God bitch slapping Trump.
Come on man. I hate Trump as much as anyone, but this isn't about him. Yeah he bungled the initial response to COVID-19, but this massive amount of unemployment would have occurred regardless of how he responded in the beginning. The moment the country shut down to protects it's citizens the fate of alot of workers was sealed.

Give Trump all of the shit in the world when he deserves it, but this isn't one of those times. This would have happened regardless of who sat in the Oval Office. And trying to turn this kind of situation (the unemployment numbers I mean) into a dunk on Trump just plays into the narrative that the Left doesn't care about the economy or the people affected by it's downturn so long as Trump suffers. Which obviously isn't true, but comments like that gives evidence to the idea even if you are just joking.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Anyone laid off or furloughed needs to brew a big pot of coffee, sit down, research, and apply apply apply for benefits.

Its going to take all day. Maybe 2 days. Its going to be an annoying, possibly depressing experience. These services are under extreme load. But you need to do it.

Reactions: iconmaster

Azzurri

Jun 13, 2007
I wonder what % is just service industry like Bars, restaurants, hotels and things like that.

May 22, 2018
Anyone laid off or furloughed needs to brew a big pot of coffee, sit down, research, and apply apply apply for benefits.

Its going to take all day. Maybe 2 days. Its going to be an annoying, possibly depressing experience. These services are under extreme load. But you need to do it.
I would also suggest making an effort to do it outside of primetime hours. People might have better luck with some of the websites if they intentionally use them at odd hours where the load on sites isn't as severe.

Reactions: Sub_Level

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Also, think of it this way.

If China doesn't pay, then why are we continuing to pay China?

They've already taken America's jobs via replacing U.S labor with sweatshop ones.

If America suffers massive unemployment but China grows, who do you think benefits from this? You don't want the balance of power to swing towards China, especially when the U.S is at its most vulnerable since the Great Depression.

That's why I said companies like Walmart, Amazon, Apple etc got to rethink their position. When they continue to outsource all their products to China, how does the average American benefit? Do cheap cellphones really matter when you're forced to line up at the soup kitchen? Those companies are happy to take Chinese money, but they're not going to spend a single dollar on you.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Jun 24, 2007
I think China will be taxed one way or another.
The funny (...?) part will be explaining working visas and work-based immigration when you have millions in the streets due to the virus.
There should be an executive order that states "until you put back to work every single person that lost a job because of covid-19, you can't bring anybody in, not even a retired soccer player from Europe that wants to play in the MLS".

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
This doesn't surprise me, governors are also really pushing people to apply and every news conference they put up the website.

The one positive I see, is all the companies around here that have shut down and furloughed, all want to bring everyone back as soon as possible. There are few smaller private businesses that may not survive, like the comic book store.

It is also nice, at least in my area, everyone is purposely ordering food from all the smaller private restaurants and leaving large tips. The small Thai restaurant close to us told me they are actually making more money now than they were before it all started. They made it legal for restaurants to sell alcohol to take away, so we are getting a pitcher of margaritas and some food from them tomorrow.

May 22, 2018
Yeah I saw that graph posted on Era. It seriously puts into perspective just how fucked the situation surrounding COVID-19 is. I obviously knew the unemployment numbers were gonna be bad, but that is a level of bad I don't even have a word for and it's only going to get worse in the coming weeks.

May 22, 2018
real thoughtful reply dickhole
What did you expect? You are trying to tell me that the government is secretly trying "seize power" from the people and that the quarantine in the middle of a worldwide pandemic is actually just a smokescreen for their nefarious plan. A quarantine which btw is being enforced in some shape or form by nearly every major country in the world right now. So unless you also want to claim that every other country in the world is also trying to "seize power" from it's people then the US is not doing anything out of the ordinary. In fact it's quarantine measures aren't even as harsh as others we have seen around the world. So if the US government is trying to take over the country (that it already runs) then they are doing a pretty shit job of it.

Trying to pass off the textbook safety measures surrounding this pandemic as the US government trying to "seize power" from it's citizens sounds like something Alex Jones would come up with while on the crapper.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018
What did you expect? You are trying to tell me that the government is secretly trying "seize power" from the people and that the quarantine in the middle of a worldwide pandemic is actually just a smokescreen for their nefarious plan. A quarantine which btw is being enforced in some shape or form by nearly every major country in the world right now. So unless you also want to claim that every other country in the world is also trying to "seize power" from it's people then the US is not doing anything out of the ordinary. In fact it's quarantine measures aren't even as harsh as others we have seen around the world. So if the US government is trying to take over the country (that it already runs) then they are doing a pretty shit job of it.

Trying to pass off the textbook safety measures surrounding this pandemic as the US government trying to "seize power" from it's citizens sounds like something Alex Jones would come up with while on the crapper.
blah blah same boring BS as usual

• LOL

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006

It's less planning and more not letting an opportunity go to waste. The government trying to ram through shit through like the EARN It Act and the House stimulus bill with the mini GND and loads of onerous regulations prove it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
The Trumplosi bill specifically incentivizes small business to rehire laid off workers by the way. They can avoid reductions in their emergency loan forgiveness by either retaining workers, retaining pay of the workers they have, and by rehiring anytime from March 1 to June 30.

Only anything in excess of $33,000 per employee will have to eventually be paid back to the government.

Pejo

Jul 1, 2009
I work in an industry that deals with COBRA eligible benefits. Just today alone we've sent out over 800 notices (meaning 800 people since last Thurs lost their job).

Crazy times.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
I work in an industry that deals with COBRA eligible benefits. Just today alone we've sent out over 800 notices (meaning 800 people since last Thurs lost their job).

Crazy times.
What were numbers like in a typical day in say, December?

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
It's only going to get worse. The number of cases and deaths just keeps rising and rising with no indication that it's gonna slow down anytime soon.

We are all in for a very long few months at best and even longer than that at worse. All we can do is hope that the shutdowns and calls for isolation do their job and help slow this thing down. And hope that the powers at be don't let their people down in the meantime.
Deep down you’re actually loving this, I can tell. It has raised your soap box a good two feet.

• Fire
Reactions: Schrödinger's cat
May 22, 2018
Deep down you’re actually loving this, I can tell. It has raised your soap box a good two feet.
Yeah I'm fearful for the lives of my grandparents and my other elderly relatives. I am stuck splitting my time between work and home because my job can't decide if it wants me in the office or at home. Most of my friends and family have all been laid off or furloughed. Oh and I can't go anywhere or buy anything because everything is closed. I also can't hang out with any friends or colleagues from work because of social distancing.

Yeah I'm having a fucking blast Matt.

Last edited:

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Straya
Yeah I'm fearful for the lives of my grandparents and my other elderly relatives. I am stuck splitting my time between work and home because my job can't decide if it wants me in the office or at home. Most of my friends and family have all been laid off or furloughed. Oh and I can't go anywhere or buy anything because everything is closed. I also can't hang out with any friends or colleagues from work because of social distancing.

Yeah but think of the big brain feels you’re getting in the internet

SpartanN92

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
Kentucky, it’s not as bad as Australia

You know what he meant. For the first time in 3 years you are tickled to death that Trump is president right now.

May 22, 2018
You know what he meant. For the first time in 3 years you are tickled to death that Trump is president right now.
I don't hate Trump enough to be happy that there is skyrocketing unemployment, a nationwide shutdown, and people dying across the country to a relatively unknown virus. You can't even claim that it's hurting his image either seeing as the polls suggest that most people are okay with his handling so far. And while I may not like everything he has said and done since this whole disaster started I know that at the very least his administration is trying to get things in a good place even if they are being a bit overzealous in the process in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I hate Trump, but I don't hate him enough to actively root for the suffering of the entire country during a crisis like this.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

Apr 17, 2019
I don't hate Trump enough to be happy that there is skyrocketing unemployment, a nationwide shutdown, and people dying across the country to a relatively unknown virus. You can't even claim that it's hurting his image either seeing as the polls suggest that most people are okay with his handling so far. And while I may not like everything he has said and done since this whole disaster started I know that at the very least his administration is trying to get things in a good place even if they are being a bit overzealous in the process in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I hate Trump, but I don't hate him enough to actively root for the suffering of the entire country during a crisis like this.
Good to hear. People who are happy about all this because it might cause trump to lose reelection need to get their heads examined.

Last edited:

Pejo

Jul 1, 2009
What were numbers like in a typical day in say, December?
Per day? 0-1. We send by the week, so a typical week would see 1-3. We service about ~10000 employees for a frame of reference. It's worth noting that all of the big numbers are from restaurant groups/restaurants.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Per day? 0-1. We send by the week, so a typical week would see 1-3. We service about ~10000 employees for a frame of reference. It's worth noting that all of the big numbers are from restaurant groups/restaurants.
Damn. That is massive.