• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: ROCK BAND 3 revealed

jett

D-Member
Real guitars?

Real midi keyboard?

How much is this shit gonna cost?

p.s poor, poor PowerGIG. :lol DOA.

Yeef

Just Like Heaven makes me happy, but it's probably not the superior acoustic version. I'll take it anyway.

I'm glad they pilfered GH5's jump-in jump-out feature.

I recall in an interview back when Beatles first came out some guy at Harmonix said something like "you'd be surprised how much extra data for future products is contained within DLC files." Hopefully we'll see some previously released DLC automagically support harmonies and keyboards and all the other cool new stuff when you play it in RB3.

Gameboy415 said:
I'm calling it now:
Rock Band 4 featuring new Pop'n Music controller!
It's the only Bemani music game that American game companies haven't copied.
Well, that and JuBeat...
which will be in Rock Band 5
Konami invented musical instruments.

Daigoro

Hellsing321 said:
I wanna know who the fuck your going to be able to see anything you have 7 people playing. And also fuck you Harmonix for making me buy more plastic instruments!

ive easily played with 6 people at a time on more than a few occasions. not that hard.

Yeef said:
I recall in an interview back when Beatles first came out some guy at Harmonix said something like "you'd be surprised how much extra data for future products is contained within DLC files." Hopefully we'll see some previously released DLC automagically support harmonies and keyboards and all the other cool new stuff when you play it in RB3.

i have my fingers crossed for this.

do want badly.

snesfreak

Banned
Keyboards?
piercekeyboards1.gif

Would buy just to do that :lol .
Real guitars? Sounds great, next they should make the drums look like...err..drums, and maybe I'll play it.
I could always just annoy people by playing a real guitar like Conan did :lol.

Bloody hell, sounds pretty incredible.

Have to wonder about how much the keyboard, real guitar, and new drums will sell for. My guess is a lot.

Onemic

YES YES YES YES!

I can actually try learning guitar for once instead of only playing drums! And my drum rocker can be used to its full potential(Even though I pretty much played everything as it was meant to be played on the drums anyway)

Einbroch

Banned
I'm kind of excited, but...the keyboard is a keyboard. Why not just play the actual instrument? I'd be hellishly excited if they actually implemented a "learn mode" where you get the whole keyboard and learn to play songs, keep score, go on tour, do the whole shabang. I would totally be day one for that.

Chris R

Einbroch said:
I'm kind of excited, but...the keyboard is a keyboard. Why not just play the actual instrument? I'd be hellishly excited if they actually implemented a "learn mode" where you get the whole keyboard and learn to play songs, keep score, go on tour, do the whole shabang. I would totally be day one for that.
Someone didn't read the OP

On keyboards, Sussman says, "we're actually utilizing the full two-octave range that the keyboard controller has. Everything that you are playing, whether you are playing on easy or expert, is accurate musical information. The track looks like a real keyboard track, and you are playing notes on the keyboard that if you were to step away from the game and were to play on a real piano, they would be the right notes."

Kraut

Would buy day one if it had even one Pink Floyd track. Since that's not the case, I guess I'll have to wait until RB4 comes out and 3 drops to budget price :( Too many plastic instruments already.

Yeef

AnkhWeasel said:
Bloody hell, sounds pretty incredible.

Have to wonder about how much the keyboard, real guitar, and new drums will sell for. My guess is a lot.
They've already mentioned earlier that there will be different bundles (Guitar+Game, Keyboard+Game, etc.) and retailers will be able to carry whichever ones they want instead of being forced to take the full bad kits. I'm guessing there will be a Keyboard and Game bundle for $100 or so. I'll probably pick that up. (I'm sure I'll eventually end up grabbing the drums and the guitar too, for Rock Band is one of the few games that I can't say 'no to).

I am now loading up Rockband 2 in celebration.

Einbroch said:
But it's not. You're not sliding your hand, you're playing on a mini keyboard.

Are you talking about moving your hands? You still have to do that with the keyboard.

Watch the video.

Einbroch

Banned
UltimaPooh said:
I am now loading up Rockband 2 in celebration.

Are you talking about moving your hands? You still have to do that with the keyboard.

Watch the video.
No you don't. I have watched it. The scrolling notes "slide" to the left and right. If you have to play a "B" three octaves below what the note is on the screen, it's the same note as if you're hitting a "B" two octaves below. It's like when you play guitar in these games and "red" is three different notes played throughout the song.

It's not the same. Like I said, it's cool, and I love the idea of adding keyboard, but if they threw in a full keyboard with a learn mode I would cream myself.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Holding out for One Man Rock Band. Retail will be surely pleased to stock yet another big ass piece of kit in their stores to sit there rotting.

KaYotiX

Banned
Yeef said:
They've already mentioned earlier that there will be different bundles (Guitar+Game, Keyboard+Game, etc.) and retailers will be able to carry whichever ones they want instead of being forced to take the full bad kits. I'm guessing there will be a Keyboard and Game bundle for $100 or so. I'll probably pick that up. (I'm sure I'll eventually end up grabbing the drums and the guitar too, for Rock Band is one of the few games that I can't say 'no to).

im with ya there, ill prolly buy all new instuments and hand down my old ones to friends.

Pennybags

Probably won't spend the big bucks on this majestic beast, but I have one request when I go to my friends' Rock Band sessions: RAINBOW IN THE DARK, BABY! Fuck yeah.

bridegur

I haven't been really interested in a game since the original Rockband. It's really refreshing to see the approach to innovation that's so clearly lacking in the Guitar Hero shitfest. I'll buy it just for the keyboard.

Chris R

Einbroch said:
No you don't. I have watched it. The scrolling notes "slide" to the left and right. If you have to play a "B" three octaves below what the note is on the screen, it's the same note as if you're hitting a "B" two octaves below. It's like when you play guitar in these games and "red" is three different notes played throughout the song.

It's not the same. Like I said, it's cool, and I love the idea of adding keyboard, but if they threw in a full keyboard with a learn mode I would cream myself.
The notes are all real though. You could play along on a real keyboard and watch as the notes came up and slid around. Sure it wouldn't register as you actually playing the note. I mean it would be nice if I could use my full size midi keyboard I have sitting 15 feet away from me right now to play the game, but this is a happy medium.

Remy

Einbroch

Banned
rhfb said:
The notes are all real though. You could play along on a real keyboard and watch as the notes came up and slid around. Sure it wouldn't register as you actually playing the note. I mean it would be nice if I could use my full size midi keyboard I have sitting 15 feet away from me right now to play the game, but this is a happy medium.
Oh, I completely agree. This is great, and I love the idea. I was simply making a suggestion and saying what I would like to see.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Pennybags said:
Probably won't spend the big bucks on this majestic beast, but I have one request when I go to my friends' Rock Band sessions: RAINBOW IN THE DARK, BABY! Fuck yeah.
:D :D :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rhfb said:

Yeah, I don't know. If you learned to play keyboard on this mini keyboard, you wouldn't be able to transfer that to a full keyboard would you?

Sounds awesome so far. I'll be picking this up for sure. My main concern is how durable the guitar will be. I guess we'll just have to see.

Still no Pink Floyd??? I hope they get them in there somehow before it's released.

cacildo

More plastic instruments?

Real guitar?

If you want it real, just buy a real guitar or keyboard or whatever. No need to buy a game along.

I dont know. I wanted the music genre to grow and evolve, but this seems like the wrong turn for it.

Guitar Hero aint making anything better with the "Same thing, but MOAR" approach either.

Im staying away from more plastic stuff... the same way i kept a fair distance from Tony hawk ride....

Top Bottom