• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: ROCK BAND 3 revealed

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
On one hand it has Huey Lewis. On the other it has Smash Mouth. I don’t know what to do.

fernoca

Hmm..really nice info..though the possible price of the instruments worries me.. :lol

Anyway...
Noticed that at first says:
More on the advances for Rock Band 3 (due for the holidays for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and Nintendo DS):
Then, at the end:
Consider that request filled. Rock Band 3 (due for the holidays for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii)

Aaron

Wait, it's not in 3D? Harmonix totally missed their chance here. When Sony requires 3D in future games, they'll have to bring it in for Rock Band 4, and then it'll just be awkward. RB43D? Sounds like a bad license plate.

birdman

cacildo said:
More plastic instruments?

Real guitar?

If you want it real, just buy a real guitar or keyboard or whatever. No need to buy a game along.

I dont know. I wanted the music genre to grow and evolve, but this seems like the wrong turn for it.

Guitar Hero aint making anything better with the "Same thing, but MOAR" approach either.

Im staying away from more plastic stuff... the same way i kept a fair distance from Tony hawk ride....

You know, this amazes me. Even after we find out that RB3 is gonna have a mode to teach people how to play guitar, someone still uses the old "buy a guitar real already" response.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
birdman said:
You know, this amazes me. Even after we find out that RB3 is gonna have a mode to teach people how to play guitar, someone still uses the old "buy a guitar real already" response.

Especially since pro mode is totally optional.

Yeah, how is X360 gonna accept 5 players now?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
birdman said:
Tell me about it.

Crazy Train -- Ozzy Osbourne
Here I Go Again -- Whitesnake
I Love Rock and Roll -- Joan Jett
Just Like Heaven -- The Cure
Rainbow in the Dark -- Dio
The Power of Love -- Huey Lewis and the News
Sister Christian -- Night Ranger

1960s-1970s
Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen
Break On Through -- The Doors
Crosstown Traffic -- Jimi Hendrix

HOOOOOOOOLLLLLLYYYYYYYY SHHHHHHHHIIIIIITTTT!

Just those alone is enough for me to buy the game.

WANT
GAME
NOW!

I am disappointed that you cant use any MIDI keyboard on the game though. It would be sweet to bust out our full sized keyboard for this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Talon- said:
Can't the 360 support up to 6 "input devices," and the PS3 up to 8?
PS3 can indeed do at least 8 input devices. (more i don't know)
I think only Buzz does this so far though.

GitarooMan said:
I liked the Beatles guitars (and I thought the RB1 guitar was shit)
To that guitars' credit, I don't think I ever used it.
The rest have been horribad.

Something like a mix of Guitar Hero 3's strumbar with Rock Band's fret and buttons.

McNum

Keyboard? Bohemian Rhapsody? Interesting...

I wonder what this is going to cost. I haven't played any of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games since Guitar Hero on PS2. Might be fun to get another one. That keyboard controller is really tempting.

Onemic

Here's to hoping they release the rest of Electric Ladyland on RB3. Playing "1983...A Merman I Should Turn To Be" and "Voodoo Chile/Child" will be fucking EPIC.

GloveSlap

I've been waiting for them to come out with a string based guitar. I'll definitely buy it if i can afford it. So when they say "fully functional guitar" do they mean that it functions like a real guitar or that I can actually plug into a standard amp and play it? The latter would be sweet.

And here I am...coming back to music games. Being away from them never felt right, but everything just got so stale.

We've both taken time apart, and now it's time to fall in love all over again.

The keyboard thing is pretty cool.

But Appetite for Destruction please.
And November Rain and Estranged

We haven't forgotten.

Buckethead said:
The keyboard thing is pretty cool.

But Appetite for Destruction please.
And November Rain and Estranged

We haven't forgotten.
Jesus, "November Rain" would be godly (after Appetite that is).

Man, I was all ready to go to bed but am now wired after reading this news.

All over my face.

Taurus

DarthButcher said:
2wrq4wx.gif
Perfect! :lol :lol

Day 1 for me. RB 2 has been so much fun and this seems to be even better. :D

I'm very excited but there's definetly signs of the music genre being exhausted. I keep up every week with RB and GH dlc and there's a lot more overlap this time than last. Can't wait to start a new band over:D

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Wow, that actually sounds really really awesome. And I'm so glad it's a keyboard and not some goddamn keytar.

... Please add Crocodile Rock by Elton John.

"While you're playing it, it feels exactly like playing a real guitar," because that's what you're doing."

This killed all excitement from me. I didnt get into GH because it was like playing a REAL guitar. I played it because it was easy and fun.

I wonder how Harmonix would design mario kart. 6 speed shifting? You have to press a button to load a banana into a cannon, another button to shoot it? Every 4 laps you have to stop for gas?

Also, remember folks, Activision shut down RedOctane earlier this year, they made the best peripherals, hands down.

cacildo said:
More plastic instruments?

Real guitar?

If you want it real, just buy a real guitar or keyboard or whatever. No need to buy a game along.

I dont know. I wanted the music genre to grow and evolve, but this seems like the wrong turn for it.

Guitar Hero aint making anything better with the "Same thing, but MOAR" approach either.

Im staying away from more plastic stuff... the same way i kept a fair distance from Tony hawk ride....

Totally wrong. Games make everything more fun. I love to exercise, but Wii Fit makes doing 50 push ups 10x more fun than if I just dropped down in my room and started. I like playing the keyboard, and I know that if I were to get points for it and watch my avatar get applauded by screaming fans and I could play in a band online and all that good stuff I would play keyboard much more often than I do.

Big Ass Ramp said:
I'm so glad it's a keyboard and not some goddamn keytar. Please add Crocodile Rock by Elton John.
It was in Lego Rock Band. (Edit: BEATEN) I just want a system to upgrade old songs to keyboard and harmonies, even for a fee.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Rewrite said:
Already in Lego Rock Band.

WHAT

I did not know this.

Can I import those songs into RB2? Do you think I'll be able to import it into RB3 with the added keyboard track?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
jamesinclair said:
"While you're playing it, it feels exactly like playing a real guitar," because that's what you're doing."

This killed all excitement from me. I didnt get into GH because it was like playing a REAL guitar. I played it because it was easy and fun.

I wonder how Harmonix would design mario kart. 6 speed shifting? You have to press a button to load a banana into a cannon, another button to shoot it? Every 4 laps you have to stop for gas?
Pro mode is completely optional.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
jamesinclair said:

Why would it kill your excitement? Pro mode is optional. The core gameplay is still there...so you'll still have fun. Plus, you don't have to buy the new peripherals if you don't want to since the old guitars from Red Octane will still work for it like it always has.

Big Ass Ramp said:
WHAT

I did not know this.

Can I import those songs into RB2? Do you think I'll be able to import it into RB3 with the added keyboard track?
Yeah, you can import all of the songs from LEGO Rock Band onto your Rock Band 2 library. The thing is, you have to get a new copy of the game since the export download code can only be used once. It doesn't work like with Rock Band 1's export. Still, it's on sale on the Rock Band Store for $20. It's well worth it at that price. As for the implementation of keyboard with existing tracks...that has yet to be revealed. My guess is probably not...but we'll see! :D

NameGenerated said:
Pro mode is completely optional.

Yeah of course.

But music game sales have plummeted. Saying "hey, heres a much harder version!" will not pick up sales. Yes, you can play the same old guitar on easy with 84 new songs.....but that has been the case for the past 5 years. See DJ hero sales as an example.

Realtar is realtarded. Teehee.

Ok, maybe not retarded, but they're really going after a tiny market with that stuff. Having to buy a fake (well, MIDI) guitar to learn real guitar may prove a bit too much of an expense for most people, I think.

Keyboard is where it's at. It's been done perfectly, and I'm totally impressed with how well Harmonix have designed it. Most the other stuff is just common sense or shit other people have done, but the keyboard highway is downright genius.

Tracklist is good but not especially gripping, though with a new instrument to play with it'll be hard to judge the quality of some picks. But overall, I'm super hyped, just want to see more gameplay/nerdy specific shit (INDIVIDUAL HYPERSPEED SETTINGS)

Top Bottom