• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USGamer is the best

Peru

They don't seem to have a whole lot of people working for them, so I can only conclude that those who do work really hard to quietly push a lot of very in-depth articles.

As expected of Jeremy Parish there are retro-stories by people who really know their retro stories (shout out to Parish spinoff gameboyworld.com), and when a piece of hardware like the New Nintendo 3DS is presented it's not just a rundown of specs but context and insight, like this comparison with the GameBoy Color (accompanied by a really thorough hands-on), nevermind the many comprehensive retrospectives on games and systems on the site...

but just as important, there's fresh coverage of the gaming world today. Take this fascinating look into obsessive competitive communities around fluffy Nintendo games, or state of the industry-type roundtables and opinion pieces. They also wisely play to their strengths and particular interests and may write more long pieces on a game like Fantasy Life than well-covered AAA or indie hypes.

Ultimately these are the kinds of things that make a site worth reading: Writers with specific knowledge reading the industry and its games in context and not writing the same stories about the same things as everyone else.

Josh7289

Agreed. Jeremy Parish and Kat Bailey are fantastic writers. I'm sorry I'm not more familiar with the other writers at USGamer, but I'm sure that over time I will get to know them better.

spekkeh

Banned
Eurogamer is my go to site in the industry really, and their offshoots Gamesindustry.biz and USGamer are great too.

Corto

My daily web browsing morning routine starts with rockpapershotgun, usgamer and killscreen open in three tabs. It is indeed a great site. And MHWilliams one of USGamer writers is a gaffer. He is a fantastic writer and he was very active on the gamergate thread offering his personal and professional opinions on the subject of journalism, objectivity and ethics. Cool dude.

bfrye26

Neo Member
It is fantastic to see some of the staff from 1UP finding a site that lets them be creative with their writing! They are some great people so I am happy to see them all land on their feet

Sorcerer

Any site with both Jeremy and Kat is going to be fantastic.

I have always wondered is USgamer Jeremy's own site?

It seems to be run with his kind of sensibility.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have always been meaning to check it out as I am a big fan of Eurogamer.

Bookmarked now.

Awww, thanks folks! We're glad people enjoy the site, since we don't do the normal daily news beat that tends to keep people coming back.

We do indeed have a small team. It is:

Jeremy Parish (EiC, so the focus on longer pieces and things we're strong in is his idea.)
Jaz Rignall
Kat Bailey
Bob Mackey
and Me

As you've noted, the others have been doing this longer than and tend to carry fanbases from other work. My previous job was as a news writer for our sister industry site GamesIndustry.biz, so I'm only two years into doing reviews, previews, and long-form opinion style editorial.

Any site with both Jeremy and Kat is going to be fantastic.

I have always wondered is USgamer Jeremy's own site?

It seems to be run with his kind of sensibility.

Not his own site, but the editorial vision is indeed his.

schlew

I've done some freelance with them over the past few months, and Kat Bailey is a terrific editor. The staff really supports lengthy features, and I'm proud to have my work published there. Just a fantastic site.

PooBone

Before this thread I was honestly not aware of this site, but very aware of Jeremy Parish from the 1up days. Thanks for sharing! Anyone know if they have a podcast?

Ricky_R

Never been there until now. Site layout is nice.

Unfortunately, I no longer visit gaming websites. I rely on GAF completely nowadays.

any site that gives Jeremy Parish the platform to write his awesome long-form articles is a-ok in my book. One of the coolest dudes in the industry.

It really is an excellent website.

Mike Williams has also been such a great voice in the GamerGate threads. Really thoughtful and in-depth responses to a lot of GamerGate critiques, which has been a delight to read.

I met Jeremy and Mike this year (also you can find everyone who works for the site here)

Both cool people. Great site overall too.

While I mostly agree with the OP, I won't be basing my purchases on their reviews any time soon:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/hatsune-miku-project-diva-f-review

You're basing this on one review? I mean, fair enough, they had an opinion.

Also, you should never base a purchase on ONE review really unless it's by a person, not a site, that you trust.

Dark_castle

Awww, thanks folks! We're glad people enjoy the site, since we don't do the normal daily news beat that tends to keep people coming back.

We do indeed have a small team. It is:

Jeremy Parish (EiC, so the focus on longer pieces and things we're strong in is his idea.)
Jaz Rignall
Kat Bailey
Bob Mackey
and Me

As you've noted, the others have been doing this longer than and tend to carry fanbases from other work. My previous job was as a news writer for our sister industry site GamesIndustry.biz, so I'm only two years into doing reviews, previews, and long-form opinion style editorial.

Not his own site, but the editorial vision is indeed his.

By the way, is that Carmelo Anthony on your avatar?

Corgi

Banned
good stuff there.

Although i wish their review layout was different. having the review score box appear after the second opinion is a teeny bit confusing.

Catdaddy

I've never visited USGamer and I'm impressed, read some of the articles/reviews and guides, well written and most of all not there aren't a thousand advertisements popping up or randomly streaming sound at me. Thanks for throwing this out there.

I did see their review of Watch_Dogs was 5/5 and TLOU:R was 4.5/5, hope some people here can handle that

Sorcerer

Honestly, I love this site because it seems like the least affected by the industry.

Bless USgamer because sites where people write from the heart are incredibly rare.

Opinion's are merely opinions.

I want to hear someone's true feelings, not what I feel they should feel about a game.

We are all old enough to have our own opinions on games anyway. No opinion is more valid or less valid than anyone else's. It's all subjective.

It's a great site. Love Parish. Mackey knows his stuff. And props to Mike Williams for his voice in the GG thread. I need to visit the site more often.

I've been writing about games on and off for a few years, and I finally started my own site that was heavily inspired by USGamer. I'm in love with their longform pieces and strive to make my writing live up to theirs. They do wonderful work.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It's definitely my go-to site when I'm looking for reviews on a game. The long form stuff is fantastic, as well.

Jeremy Parish told me I should play TLoU: Remastered at 30fps for that cinematic feel. No offense to the guy but I find it difficult to trust much of what he says after that. I think he's pretty on point with his retro stuff but his knowledge of modern gaming leaves much to be desired. I've no problems with the rest of the site though, it's good.

Malyse

Add one more person in the like column.

Also, I think you are incredibly silly and naive to dismiss any site for a single article from a single writer.

Easily. In a sea of sites with flamebaiting drek, regurgitated press releases and shallow top 10 lists, their work is a cut above the rest.

You're great too, Mike! I read your "Why we still play the classics" article today and loved it. A few weeks ago, I read your article on WoW (http://www.usgamer.net/articles/comfort-food-games-world-of-warcraft) and liked it a lot. I even sent the link to a friend, and he loved it too. Keep up the good work!

Top Bottom