• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using Tennis Shoes for Running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilbog21

Banned
I couldn't find any running shoes that I like and I think Nike's selection right now is shit, so could I use these tennis shoes for running? (all kinds of surface)

Here they are..
tscni1020011_p1.jpg

Thx Doods

newsguy

They look good, but a running shoe would do you better if you're doing long distances. they have the added benefit of having a yellow you can see from space so night running isn't out of the question.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
No, dont do it. I used to run and when I first started I wore basketball shoes and they caused serious issues. Don't run in anything other than shoes made for running. Don't skimp out either, i've known way too many people who bought cheap running shoes or wore sneakers to run and now can't run for more than a few minutes without being in pain. Go to a running store that will make you run a treadmill while they study your foot to notice if you need a specific fit. It sounds ridiculous but it isn't, and it doesn't cost as much as you think.

It all depends on you. You don't need special shoes to run despite how everyone freaks out about it. In fact it is usually shoes that cause problems in the first place by causing you to run unnaturally. Heck you could run barefoot and be fine. Anyways, I am assuming you aren't going to go barefoot so you might as well go to a running shoe store like suggested here if you are just starting up. There is nothing wrong with tennis shoes for running, but they are geared more towards supportive lateral movements and if you are running very long distances they can be harsh on soft feet.

ToxicAdam

Just depends how much running you want to do. Back when I was running 2-3 miles a day, I would die if I had to wear tennis/basketball shoes everyday. But if you are only going to a run 1-2 miles a few times a week, I wouldn't worry about it.

I run either barefoot (short distances, not enough callus to prevent massive blistering on long distance (3+ miles) I learned that the hard way...was a long painful walk back and for the next week) or in skate shoes. They are heavy which means you spend a lot more energy simply moving your feet which may or may not be a good thing depending on your goals but it also causes you to land on the ball and heel at the same time which is better form than running shoes that promote heel first footfalls. Also they aren't fitted or anything so I slap porous tape (the medical kind with all the holes) over high friction areas.

Doytch

nilbog21 said:
I'd rather die
Then don't bother asking for opinions. Buy actual running shoes for running. Shit's not too difficult. missbreedsiddx is right, if you have a running store nearby, go there and get their opinion/fitted.

atkbob

Banned
BigGreenMat said:
It all depends on you. You don't need special shoes to run despite how everyone freaks out about it. In fact it is usually shoes that cause problems in the first place by causing you to run unnaturally. Heck you could run barefoot and be fine. Anyways, I am assuming you aren't going to go barefoot so you might as well go to a running shoe store like suggested here if you are just starting up. There is nothing wrong with tennis shoes for running, but they are geared more towards supportive lateral movements and if you are running very long distances they can be harsh on soft feet.
Yeah, like when you wear tennis shoes for running.

If you're running any sort of distance, you NEED properly fitted running shoes.

PROPERLY FITTED running shoes.

Go get your feet looked at by someone with more than a ruler to measure your size. This is really important because you can royally fuck up your feet if you don't have proper arch support. Planar fasciitis is not something you wanna mess around with.

for just the treadmill/short distances yeah they are fine. Tennis shoes are not as soft as running shoes, they are more for sharp cornering and stability during heavy lateral movement. I have tennis shoes for when im on the court and then running shoes for the gym or going for runs lol.

iamblades

missbreedsiddx said:
No, dont do it. I used to run and when I first started I wore basketball shoes and they caused serious issues. Don't run in anything other than shoes made for running. Don't skimp out either, i've known way too many people who bought cheap running shoes or wore sneakers to run and now can't run for more than a few minutes without being in pain. Go to a running store that will make you run a treadmill while they study your foot to notice if you need a specific fit. It sounds ridiculous but it isn't, and it doesn't cost as much as you think.

Actually statistics show that the more people spend on running shoes, the more injuries they get.

The best option is a simple flexible shoe that's as flat and thin as possible(minimal heel height, none of that inch thick air cushion bullshit) that has reasonably durable tread.

That doesn't mean cheap shoes are better, as even the entry level shoes are thick and soft these days. the point is, don't fall for the marketing BS the shoe companies use on you to get you to buy a $10 shoe for $150.

Soft cushy shoes are nice to stand around in, but utter shit for running.

Stay the fuck away from shocks or that air bullshit.

I just got back from the store and I bought a pair of Lunarlites. I am replacing my old pair which were Nike Zooms. They felt great until I wore them out running with them and using Nike+ :lol

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
iamblades said:
Actually statistics show that the more people spend on running shoes, the more injuries they get.

I'd like to see those studies, but I'm guessing its because people who spend more money are also more likely to run more often.

Dr.Guru of Peru said:
I'd like to see those studies, but I'm guessing its because people who spend more money are also more likely to run more often.

Here's a recent one: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100104122310.htm

In a study published in the December 2009 issue of PM&R: The journal of injury, function and rehabilitation, researchers compared the effects on knee, hip and ankle joint motions of running barefoot versus running in modern running shoes. They concluded that running shoes exerted more stress on these joints compared to running barefoot or walking in high-heeled shoes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You can run in:

Running shoes
Tennis shoes
Trail shoes
'Water' trail shoes
lo-top Hiking shoes

You cannot run in:

Basketball shoes
Flip Flops
Wooden clogs

ocadman said:
Do you guys have a pair? People I know who have these swear by them and I'm considering getting a pair. Despite their awkward appearance, they're supposed to be pretty awesome. Who knew Al Bundy was years ahead of his time.

As for the OP, get running shoes...

I've had a pair of the classics for over a year. I can't recommend them enough. Best footwear I've ever purchased.

nilbog21

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
You can run in:

Running shoes
Tennis shoes
Trail shoes
'Water' trail shoes
lo-top Hiking shoes

You cannot run in:

Basketball shoes
Flip Flops
Wooden clogs

R u sure about this? From what these guys are saying, if I don't have perfectly fitted running shoes, i'm going to get joint cancer and die

edit: hm this makes me kidna sound like a dick ur right. What i really meant to say is that you guys are scaring me because I've been using Non-running shoes in the past. I am grateful for your opinions though. If it wasn't for you guys I would have gotten them, but now im def getting running shoes. thx again

Rorschach

nilbog21 said:
R u sure about this? From what these guys are saying, if I don't have perfectly fitted running shoes, i'm going to get joint cancer and die
:lol You're a dick. Why'd you even ask?

I run a few miles a day when the weather cooperates in regular tennis shoes with no issues. If I were doing >10k regularly I'd go out and get real running shoes, but for less than that these work just fine.

I just picked up a pair of Nike Free 5.0's and so far they've made a big difference in my running comfort, and more importantly, my motivation (I'm pretty new to running). Before this, I was trying to use some random pair of cross trainers, and it was not working at all for me.

clav

Doesn't really matter ultimately.

Just don't go running in basketball shoes or athletic cleats on the wrong surfaces.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mos...-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

What usually classifies as a tennis shoe is its non-marking bottom. If you ever met a tennis court owner, he/she hates their courts marked up. Tennis shoe just makes it ensure that it won't mark.

Some athletic shoes do say on the bottom though like the Nike Air Monarchs.

Blader

Also, you didn't bring this up, but this is something every new-to-running runner needs to know:

Do not run in boxers.

Wait, did someone actually wait through the approval process just to post marketing spam? :lol

I have a pair of Vibram FiveFingers that I love. I stopped running when the weather turned to crap, but I want to pick it up again when it gets nice out.

nilbog, you seem to be looking for running shoes that look nice. Don't fall into this. Do what has been suggested and go to a store that specializes in running and take their advice. Running shoes shouldn't do double-duty as your casual-wear shoe to go with your jeans.

CrunchyB

A friend of mine injured herself running only a couple of miles in tennis shoes. The impact caused a hairline fracture in her shinbone.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I love my five fingers. I even wear them in 30º weather. You need time to get your feet used to it though. I just last week hit double digit miles in them and plan on running a marathon in them in May.

To the OP, get what feels good and is comfortable.

gerg

Are FiveFingers suitable for cross-country running?

They look pretty cool, but I'm not sure if they're meant for more urban environments.

Xeke

Banned
Pfft, I run in chucks. You people make it sound like humans could never run before running shoes.

Run barefoot on grass.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a pair of FiveFingers and don't use them because I was dumb and bought some that are way too tight on my toes.

When my new Lunarlites wear out I am going to a running store for sure. By that time I should running >10k distances. I think for 10k or less I am ok with judging what running shoe feels alright.

Paper Tiger

Neo Member
gerg said:
Are FiveFingers suitable for cross-country running?

They look pretty cool, but I'm not sure if they're meant for more urban environments.

FiveFingers inevitably come up when I'm discussing running with my friends. There are invariably people who have success with them, and love to point to those stories of African marathoners who train barefoot. Then there are the people who are injured ALL the time and blame it on a lack of stability in their running shoes, and demonize FiveFingers as the root of all evil.

I fall somewhere in the middle. My arches and ankles collapse inward when I run, and I've found that get nicked up far more often when I'm wearing lighter trainers than shoes with a more stable platform. It's not that I don't see the virtue in FiveFingers - I'd love to wear them if my biomechanics were better ... but I can't.

There's some evidence, and a whole lot of anecdotal evidence, that you can train your body/biomechanics to run with a more neutral gait, and therefore take advantage of something like FiveFingers, but if you're starting out I'd advise against trying that. Take other posters' advice and go to a running store, get someone to put you up on a treadmill, and get your gait analyzed. Start out with a "proper" running shoe. Go with FiveFingers once you've established a proper base and feel confident in your stride (which will change as you run more).

Oh, and don't run in tennis shoes. Ouch.

D6AMIA6N

Blader5489 said:
No. You need running shoes.

Get Asics.

This. I trained for and ran a half in October of this past year, and prior to, only ran spradically in "tennis shoes" The difference in support, stamina, after run fatigue, etc. are vast when running in a "tennis shoe" as opposed to a running shoe. Bottom line, regardless of the brand, if you are running consistently, you should be wearing running shoes.

Here's the link to my finish time, #192.

http://www.fleetfeetalbany.com/Results/2009/MarineCorpsHalfMarathon/rk.txt

gerg

Paper Tiger said:
Oh, and don't run in tennis shoes. Ouch.

Oh, no, I'd never do that.

At the moment, I have some shoes from The North Face which I imagine are actually intended for mountaineering, but have great grip. I also have some spikes, but I've only used them once or twice.

trollcity said:
yep, sounds ok. people run when they play tennis don't they?

How is that even a logical argument? Yes you run while you play tennis but over short distances on relatively level ground. If you are running out on a trail or even up and down hills on a sidewalk you are going to subject yourself to different kinds of stresses. Running shoes are designed in mind for helping your body cope with these different stresses.

nyong

Banned
Incredibly bad idea.

If you're planning to run on "all types of surfaces" I would head to your nearest speciality running store and get fit for a pair of good road shoes - sufficient padding and proper arch support. Running with inappropriate shoes is a sure-fire way of destroying your knees, back, and countless other body parts. No exaggeration - I know loads of people in their early 20's who cut their running careers short (forever) because of stupid things like shoes and running through seemingly minor injuries (that became permanent big ones). Don't play around with it.

Korey

I'm going to start running regularly for the first time in a week or so. I'm pretty clueless, so for people who run, here are some questions:

1) What do you use to keep track of how far you've run?

2) Water - do you bring any? Or do you just run and then don't drink anything until you're done?

3) What do you bring with you? I'm thinking just my music player and keys. Where do you keep your keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom