• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using unsanctioned prounouns for FL4K on the Borderland 3 forums will get you banned.

TeamGhobad

Banned
This is not a drill

9flsD3C.png

Last edited:

Al Abaster

Regardless between this and Ion Fury, this is really starting to getting out of hand imo.

Antifa and the Wokestapo are the first fascist movements who have successfully employed corporations ... normally the enemy of fascists ... as an enforcement wing for the fascist revolution.

It's not just gaming. Every corporate entity enforces the aims of the Wokestapo. Even piddly and lowly razor blade makers.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
I dont understand, why cant the robot be called he?

Since english is not my primary language i never understood the use of they instead of him/her

Regardless between this and Ion Fury, this is really starting to getting out of hand imo.

In my language (Finnish) we have only one pronoun for both male and female + "it/them".

So even using he/she is stupid and annoying, because every time we write about someone and we dont know the gender = need to use "he/she" instead of just "he" if it would be genderless like in Finnish

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Fictional characters are people too.

Remember when the standard of bigotry was how the victim felt about it? Now we have to respect the feelings of a videogame character as a proxy for the group of developers who made it. This is a new level of shutting down criticism. Can't wait for this to infect review scores, too.

"The reviewer didn't take into account the inner struggle of our well-written characters when they marked down our game's Story score. That's bigotry".

Petrae

You couldn’t pay me enough money to play this game, let alone get to consider spending my own hard-earned money on it. Between Randy Pitchford being an awful human being, the game’s publisher sending private investigators to people’s houses over it, and now shitty virtue signaling...

...and I say this very plainly...

FUCK.

THIS.

GAME.

iconmaster

Banned
As an aside, why on earth would any single individual use the pronoun 'they'?

It’s the progressive end-run around gendered pronouns. It’s terrible grammar, yes; and I’ll resist it as long as I can.

If we can’t accept “he” as the general-use placeholder, it’s easy to alternate between “he” and “she” when a pronoun is indefinite.

Raven117

Gold Member
Not enough for me to not buy the game. I don’t care and I don’t use the forum. Little silly though to ban people over this.

Ok. Any little hope I had for the game is gone. Too much drama with this game. I’ll stick with other games.

Darrec

Neo Member
As an aside, why on earth would any single individual use the pronoun 'they'?

It's third person plural.

Is this simply because they don't want to use the term 'it'. Or are they passing themselves off as multiple individuals?
It might be wrong but when i learned english they told me the pronoun "they" was also used as a gender neutral term. This was like 15 years ago, so no SJW nonsense involved.

Lanrutcon

Could this spill over to the actual game? Like, reporting a player for calling the robot a he or she?

Naw, BL3 doesn't have dedicated servers as far as I know. If it was online only...yeah, it probably would. So each game is hosted in isolation, outside of Gearbox's control, which means they don't have to enforce squat.

420bits

That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

I can oneup this for sure, because it gets way more retarded.

If a "they" + 1 (or more) were going out to eat dinner you cant say "They went out for dinner".
That would imply that either you misspronoun the "they" or you exclude the +1.

The pronounpolice would sentence you to life.
You need to be way more specific about it in order to keep the snowflakes happy.

The correct way would be to say "They (plural) went out for dinner".

Yes, you actually have to say "they plural". Not making this up, it's not a joke.

Ogbert

It might be wrong but when i learned english they told me the pronoun "they" was also used as a gender neutral term

I was never taught that :) And I have genuinely never encountered an individual person adopting the pronoun. It would be so difficult to maintain in conversation. Language cannot be marshalled like that.

I'm an old boy, so leaned grammar via the joys of Latin and Greek. You're right that 'they' is neutral, in as much as it isn't automatically associated with either male or female. In many ways, it's the plural of 'it'.

They wouldn't be able to use the third person plural in French though, as Ils and Elles do hint at gender. Or maybe they use an other term?

All too complicated for me.

Solomeena

Banned
This world is fucked, this is humankind's jumping the shark moment. We are fucked people, make no mistake about it. Shit like this is why humanity is guaranteed to make itself go extinct. We are some dumb motherfucker's to care about shit like this, fuck you humanity, you should rise above bullshit like this but you cannot or will not, dumb fucks.

iconmaster

Banned
There has to be more to the story right? Did the issue get so contentious among forum members that the mods had to step in? So the bans would be for dredging up a divisive issue rather than misgendering.

Please?

this is humankind's jumping the shark moment.

Humanity will be fine. It's the democratic West that's screwed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom