• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using unsanctioned prounouns for FL4K on the Borderland 3 forums will get you banned.

Darrec

Neo Member
Actually.... There are a few situations when "El" is used for female nouns, when referring to a grammatically feminine noun that starts with an "a" so you don't get two "a" sounds together (ex El águila).
Well technically speaking, "águila" is a neutral noun that refers to both male and female of that animal.

Darrec

Neo Member
Fine...
El agua, then....
"Agua" is a thing, an object, it has nothing to do with male/female. Let me just clarify that you're right about the written use of that grammatical rule but it's not necessarily set in place to define male/female nouns. Spanish is weird.

Ar¢tos

"Agua" is a thing, an object, it has nothing to do with male/female. Let me just clarify that you're right about the written use of that grammatical rule but it's not necessarily set in place to define male/female nouns. Spanish is weird.
I have been talking about grammatical gender, not of gender of the things refer to. My language is the same (portuguese), but because only Sony (basically) does European portuguese localisations, I used Spanish as example (portuguese also has its fair share of words that don't match the gender of what they refer to).

Although Spanish has a neutral pronoun (lo), maybe they change texts to use that.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
1566320187-ksxtlfb.jpg

*Please refer to me as a non binary combat helicopter half mower half smartphone

Last edited:
The guy from Gearbox on Inside Xbox yesterday at Gamescom clearly called FL4K a he. As soon as he said it he startled a bit and only called FL4K by his name instead. Will he be banned from the Gearbox forums as well? 🤣

The hosts on outside Xbox also called FL4K a he. Putting aside the "outrage to the outrage" of misgendering FL4K, if you really want to make a non-binary trans character, you probably shouldn't use a robot who has by far the largest build of any character in the game, has a distinctly male voice, and is played by a male voice actor. Someone who looked closer to David Bowie when he was flirting with androgyny would be a good design for such a character. Not a robot with only male features.

As I said in another thread, It'll be interesting to see and hear how FL4K's gender is represented in the actual game. So often, it seems people (both developers and consumers) make a big deal out of "did you know" type details that aren't even found in the game itself.

Did you know Solider 76 is gay? Did you know Bloodhound is non-binary? Did you know Profit from Black Ops 3 is a homosexual? No. I didn't know, and I didn't care, and none of this is even found in these games. And if Borderlands 3 handles player characters like Borderlands 1 and 2, FL4K's pro-noun might as well be "vault hunter" anyway.

Ivory Blood

The hosts on outside Xbox also called FL4K a he. Putting aside the "outrage to the outrage" of misgendering FL4K, if you really want to make a non-binary trans character, you probably shouldn't use a robot who has by far the largest build of any character in the game, has a distinctly male voice, and is played by a male voice actor. Someone who looked closer to David Bowie when he was flirting with androgyny would be a good design for such a character. Not a robot with only male features.

As I said in another thread, It'll be interesting to see and hear how FL4K's gender is represented in the actual game. So often, it seems people (both developers and consumers) make a big deal out of "did you know" type details that aren't even found in the game itself.

Did you know Solider 76 is gay? Did you know Bloodhound is non-binary? Did you know Profit from Black Ops 3 is a homosexual? No. I didn't know, and I didn't care, and none of this is even found in these games. And if Borderlands 3 handles player characters like Borderlands 1 and 2, FL4K's pro-noun might as well be "vault hunter" anyway.
They don't even believe in the message they preach. No wonder it doesn't stick.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It should be labeled for what it is: pandering. All these companies want their free fan support (money) in exchange for their own "Dumbledore is gay" moment, and since there's really no outcry against it (at least, not from any non-deplorables), companies have no real reason to pump the breaks.

zeorhymer

It should be labeled for what it is: pandering. All these companies want their free fan support (money) in exchange for their own "Dumbledore is gay" moment, and since there's really no outcry against it (at least, not from any non-deplorables), companies have no real reason to pump the breaks.
But that's the fallacy that companies don't understand. This "fan support" don't even buy their games and at the same time, they are alienating the actual paying customers.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Is that really true though? I've been in this thread and people wrote "he" on purpose after this comment without getting banned instantly...

GymWolf

I hope this is satire because if not...

Never been a fan of bordelands saga and this third chapter is not different enough to the previous chapter...add this shit and i'm probably ginna buy the game for 10 dollars during some steam discount...

joe_zazen

But that's the fallacy that companies don't understand. This "fan support" don't even buy their games and at the same time, they are alienating the actual paying customers.

If they didn’t support this kind of grammar totalitarianism, they would lose more customers. It is why Ion Maiden did what they did. No one wants their game to be known as the hate game. The bar keeps getting raised tho, now it is at the point that even having certain words or crude jokes or letting your fans be asses will get the company listed as a hate company.

I mean look at thq. They had an 8chan ama and forever more they will be known as that pedo nazi company even though nothing in any of their products justifies that label. Western Media Companies have to walk on eggshells.

Last edited:
The more I hear about this game the more I am unwilling to buy it. I didn't care for Borderlands 1 and found the sequel to be somewhat funny but lost interest half way through. Everything about Borderlands 3 is just a shitshow.. actually, now that I write this - I'm out. I'm done. I will not be buying Borderlands 3, not even when it's on Steam and on a super discount sale. Even if it is said that it will cure cancer. I'm not supporting this shit.

Last edited:
Say what you want about PETA, but at least they try to represent living creatures that aren’t capable of speaking for themselves. Cows can testify before Congress.
CFolYRvUUAAtSsX.jpg

Fictional characters don’t have feelings. They aren’t real. They are as unreal as it gets.

So who are you doing this for?

Winter John

Gold Member
Meh, big deal. Their forum, their rules. Anyone who claims they're not going to buy Borderlands 3 because of something this insignificant were either never going to buy it in the first place, or are just as delicate and mentally ill as the people they spend their lives screeching about.

Paltheos

I dont understand, why cant the robot be called he?

Since english is not my primary language i never understood the use of they instead of him/her

Regardless between this and Ion Fury, this is really starting to getting out of hand imo.

It's an idiosyncrasy to English - the connotations to calling an entity 'it' don't sit well with people. We have singular pronouns devoted to males and females, but no gender pronouns for groups. As such, we use the neutral 'they'. This is something we're accustomed to doing when grouping together people of different or no genders (like a group of robots).

The real sticking point is that 'it' and 'they' are used to group together objects as well, and because we don't commonly use 'it' to refer to people because of those singular gender pronouns, its use feels... icky. We think we're treating beings of no or an unidentified gender as an object, so we default to 'they' because there's no stigma associated to it (as explained above).

I hope my explanation elucidated the matter for you. I enjoyed typing it out.

BigBooper

People up in here need some remedial English lessons. They is often used when talking about a single person, usually when you don't know the person

Somebody ran into my car in the parking lot. They totalled it.

I was walking down the street and some guy hit me from behind.
Did you get a good look at them?
No, they were wearing a mask.

Conan-san

Man if Gearbox cared this much about finding a seven feet hole to dump Pitchford in then they might have gotten me to download Epic's Botnet Trojin.

Last edited:

Conan-san

Its pronouns are Beep/Boop.

There, I've made this whole stupid situation appropriately wacky for Borderlands, where's my money, Pitchford?

Raven117

Gold Member
Fucking hell, its a god damn robot in a videogame..... society has lost its damn brain cells.
They have, but I think equally as stupid is not buying a video game you really want to play because of some dumb use of pronouns is equally as overreactionay and stupid.

Barakov

Gold Member
They're going all in on this, aren't they? Kinda makes me wonder how prevalent this stuff is in the actual game.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The entire forum should start “misgendering” it and let them ban everyone. They’ll have a ghost town of a forum.

Gargus

Banned
I wasn't going to waste any money on Borderlands 3 anyhow. As far as I'm concerned, everything after the plain-vanilla original Borderlands was trash. The DLC, Borderlands 2, all of it.

I'm not buying it either, course I never planned to buy it. I played 1, after about 6 hours I got bored. Fast forward to bl2 being on ps+ and I tried it and after about 6 hours i got bored again. I just don't like borderlands games. They just aren't fun for me to play, the characters and cut scenes and enemies all just seem like they were created by 16 year olds drinking red bull. It's all so "crazy and frantic and over the top" that it feels like someone is trying to force the game to be that way to the point that it isn't very unique or fun or interesting. I imagine the games director standing there yelling "wackier! Zanier! Yes more slow motion explosions!"

Plus that guy in charge of them always comes off as a self righteous asshole to me.

Top Bottom