• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using unsanctioned prounouns for FL4K on the Borderland 3 forums will get you banned.

Ogbert

Look how the same doesn't happen with books. Nobody cares there's no trans people on Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.

Sadly, thats not actually true anymore.

Young adult fiction, in particular, has been absolutely taken over by the progressive mob. So now, rather than simply focus on universal stories for young boys and girls to enjoy, they tend to focus on blue haired pan-sexual cretins that wander around with dildos hanging out their ears, complaining that no one understands them.

And look at how much time is spent contemplating whether or not Dumbledore likes to use his wand for more than just magic.

We'll have to put up with this nonsense for a few more years, as every graduate that pops out of a liberal arts degree has been taught the same wet, relativist, soft marxist, post-feminist, intersectional dogshit.

Saruhashi

Banned
Sadly, thats not actually true anymore.

Young adult fiction, in particular, has been absolutely taken over by the progressive mob. So now, rather than simply focus on universal stories for young boys and girls to enjoy, they tend to focus on blue haired pan-sexual cretins that wander around with dildos hanging out their ears, complaining that no one understands them.

And look at how much time is spent contemplating whether or not Dumbledore likes to use his wand for more than just magic.

We'll have to put up with this nonsense for a few more years, as every graduate that pops out of a liberal arts degree has been taught the same wet, relativist, soft marxist, post-feminist, intersectional dogshit.

Ha!

Check this one out:

"Ready Player One meets The Hate U Give in this dynamite debut novel that follows a fierce teen game developer as she battles a real-life troll intent on ruining the Black Panther–inspired video game she created and the safe community it represents for Black gamers."

By day, seventeen-year-old Kiera Johnson is an honors student, a math tutor, and one of the only Black kids at Jefferson Academy. But at home, she joins hundreds of thousands of Black gamers who duel worldwide as Nubian personas in the secret multiplayer online role-playing card game, SLAY. No one knows Kiera is the game developer, not her friends, her family, not even her boyfriend, Malcolm, who believes video games are partially responsible for the “downfall of the Black man.”

But when a teen in Kansas City is murdered over a dispute in the SLAY world, news of the game reaches mainstream media, and SLAY is labeled a racist, exclusionist, violent hub for thugs and criminals. Even worse, an anonymous troll infiltrates the game, threatening to sue Kiera for “anti-white discrimination.”

Driven to save the only world in which she can be herself, Kiera must preserve her secret identity and harness what it means to be unapologetically Black in a world intimidated by Blackness. But can she protect her game without losing herself in the process?

Last edited:
God, I really fucking miss the 90s.
Yep

itp7qF7.gif

Banned
You obviously don't speak French very often, it would be simpler for us to just assimilate than change the language to accommodate the gender neutral ideology, everything has a gender in French, the computer keyboard is male and the computer mouse is female.

The table is female, same for the chairs, but not the stool for some reason.

This is part of what makes the language beautiful, I don't want a generic and dull gender neutral language.

yeah same in german... they keyboard is female tho in German :)
table and chair are both male

but it also changes just hy using different words for objects. of you use the english word Keyboard the keyboard is a "neutrum", an "it" basically. but using the german word Tastatur, it becomes female

translating English wannabe woke politics into other languages doesn't work without dramatic changes to the grammar of many languages

Last edited:
No one else finds this hilarious? A robot that wants to be identified as human? This has got to be satire and most likely a part of the character they’ve created. Being temporarily banned isn’t really a big deal.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned

but it also changes just hy using different words for objects. of you use the english word Keyboard the keyboard is a "neutrum", an "it" basically. but using the german word Tastatur, it becomes female

translating English wannabe woke politics into other languages doesn't work without dramatic changes to the grammar of many languages

Amiga was female too. Anyone who touched this computer is a misogynist

Gamernyc78

Banned
We had gender pronoun trainings at my job bcus some bozo got into an argument bcus his coworker didn't know she wanted to be referred to as he. This is the same bozo tht stormed out of a gender training just because ppl were asking serious questions thy wanted answers to. This lame had the nerve to play the victim card while we were all in tht training bcus of him/her whoever. Anyway I avoid all tht bs and call ppl by their last name.

We had gender pronoun trainings at my job bcus some bozo got into an argument bcus his coworker didn't know she wanted to be referred to as he. This is the same bozo tht stormed out of a gender training just because ppl were asking serious questions thy wanted answers to. This lame had the nerve to play the victim card while we were all in tht training bcus of him/her whoever. Anyway I avoid all tht bs and call ppl by their last name.

I've seen this two or three times in this thread, and I just don't understand it. "Hey Smith, wait up! Yeah, I wanted to ask you a question." Perfectly natural. Same with a first name. There's really not much difference. Pronouns generally come into use when talking ABOUT other people, not to them. "So I said, 'Hey Smith, wait up!' and then asked Smith a question. I don't know why Smith didn't stop walking, but Smith didn't."

Now that's starting to sound a lot less natural. This is why we use pronouns in the first place.

A robot is “it”.

I'm guessing that you've used the word "he" to refer to claptrap or "she" to refer to GlaDOS for years now. And if you played Detroit: Become Human, I'm really doubtful that you constantly referred to every android / robot as "it." What makes it seem really unnatural with FL4K is that FL4K really doesn't have any "non-male" characteristics about FL4K. See how awkward that sounds? But yeah, with FL4K's character design, it's hard to think of that character as anything other than "him."

I've seen this two or three times in this thread, and I just don't understand it. "Hey Smith, wait up! Yeah, I wanted to ask you a question." Perfectly natural. Same with a first name. There's really not much difference. Pronouns generally come into use when talking ABOUT other people, not to them. "So I said, 'Hey Smith, wait up!' and then asked Smith a question. I don't know why Smith didn't stop walking, but Smith didn't."

Now that's starting to sound a lot less natural. This is why we use pronouns in the first place.

I'm guessing that you've used the word "he" to refer to claptrap or "she" to refer to GlaDOS for years now. And if you played Detroit: Become Human, I'm really doubtful that you constantly referred to every android / robot as "it." What makes it seem really unnatural with FL4K is that FL4K really doesn't have any "non-male" characteristics about FL4K. See how awkward that sounds? But yeah, with FL4K's character design, it's hard to think of that character as anything other than "him."
Do you know what Claptrap, Glados,the Androids from Detroit, and this Douchebag robot has in common?

None of them are fucking real.

Do you know what Claptrap, Glados,the Androids from Detroit, and this Douchebag robot has in common?

None of them are fucking real.

And I wouldn't claim otherwise. I'm just saying it's natural to refer to robots with male or female voices or features as male or female, which is exactly why FL4K being non-binary feels unnatural for so many people. You even have professional gaming channels that didn't get the memo naturally referring to FL4K as "him," because of course they would.

Actually a robot is always "le robot", even the culinary robots are "le robot culinaire", I wonder what they are doing in their misc language forums!

Oh that virtual robot will certainly be safer once people start paying it the game and talking about THEM while using proper pronoun, for the next few years they will introduce a new character with a different pronoun on a monthly basis, hoping that new pronouns are invented so they still have an expansion model once they have covered the basics.
Pronoun-cards-2016-02-1024x585.png

I will finally know what a Xe is (I would have though they were related to Xenia).

Petrae

Why are gaming people the most retarded

Every fandom has its legion of defectives. Look at the infantile reactions to the Spider-Man/Sony/Marvel brouhaha for a prime example of idiocy outside of the gaming sphere. There’s plenty of morons in sports and music fandoms, too.

As for the gaming-related defectives? They’re a group of emotion-driven manipulators who are empowered by “games journalists” who identify with their cause and use their platforms to bully dissenters into submission. The rapid rise of social media to prominence— and the subsequent weaponization of said media by these defectives (in all fandoms and in sociopolitical stances and positions)— further served to empower them.

Not only does everyone know that they have a voice now, but it takes little effort to marshal a few similar voices into a mob that can cause at least temporary damage to individuals and to businesses.

TL; DR - All fandoms have their idiots, and gaming is no different.

SweetShark

No one else finds this hilarious? A robot that wants to be identified as human? This has got to be satire and most likely a part of the character they’ve created. Being temporarily banned isn’t really a big deal.

No problem for the robot to want to feel more human in fiction.
The problem is the Devs fighting the others to make a fictional robot to feel more human.

Elginer

Shit has gone too motherfucking far. We got too many dumbasses enabling this retarded shit, yeah I said retarded cuse it fucking is. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with some of these damn people? My parents would have slapped them and said stop being so damn stupid. I think that's the problem. We don't have enough parents telling motherfuckers to stop being idiots.

It's a damn cartoon robot in a damn video game. Seriously? We're at the damn low point that fucking developers and publishers are pushing so.r damn insane political bullshit on it's fans cuse of a damn fucking polyganal robot?!
Careful.

Expressing feelings of missing [any decade, any piece of fiction, anything whatsoever deemed racist] is a dog-whistle that you're a racist.
Fuck'em. We're getting our shit twisted about what amounts to a fucking cartoon robot in a damn videogame. People have lost their damn common damn sense.

NikuNashi

There has to be more to the story right? Did the issue get so contentious among forum members that the mods had to step in? So the bans would be for dredging up a divisive issue rather than misgendering.

Please?

Humanity will be fine. It's the democratic West that's screwed.

As someone who moved to the East 10 years ago, this is true.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Guys, i thought long an hard about this, but i made up my mind:
I now identify as Dinosaur-gender. The correct pronoun is “Rawr”.
Please address me accordingly.
If you don‘t I will ask EviLore to ban you, and if you don’t in real life i will have them arrest you, because that is just fair considering the harm you do by misgendering me.

brap

Banned
If you don‘t I will ask EviLore to ban you, and if you don’t in real life i will have them arrest you, because that is just fair considering the harm you do by misgendering me.

T7q6s0b.jpg

Phear

If Fl4ks right pronoun is "they", why do all verbs add that 3rd person "s"?

"If Fl4k killS an enemy, they gain..."

That's messing with my brain.

If Fl4ks right pronoun is "they", why do all verbs add that 3rd person "s"?

"If Fl4k killS an enemy, they gain..."

That's messing with my brain.
They is often used when talking about a single person, usually when you don't know the person

Somebody ran into my car in the parking lot. They totalled it.

I was walking down the street and some guy hit me from behind.
Did you get a good look at them?
No, they were wearing a mask.

mcz117chief

This is pretty old news (first read about it in the clown world thread), still find it funny though. I read through the entire thread that discussed it, man, that was something else. I might make an account there just to mess with them a bit :)

God, I really fucking miss the 90s.

I miss the 80s, 90s, but certainly also the first decade of the 2000s. The world before social fucking media, and people with their noses buried into these silly smartphones. The world of a richer and more creative culture instead of this corporate fucking hellhole we live in. The days when England had a lad culture...y'know when being a man was celebrated instead of demonized (which was also a early 90s reaction towards feminism that was creeping in). The time when it was easy to establish genuine, lasting friendships, when people were more social, and spent more time outside. The time of less paranoia and a time without these horrible LED lights.

Last edited:
I miss the 80s, 90s, but certainly also the first decade of the 2000s. The world before social fucking media, and people with their noses buried into these silly smartphones. The world of a richer and more creative culture instead of this corporate fucking hellhole we live in. The days when England had a lad culture...y'know when being a man was celebrated instead of demonized (which was also a early 90s reaction towards feminism that was creeping in). The time when it was easy to establish genuine, lasting friendships, when people were more social, and spent more time outside. The time of less paranoia and a time without these horrible LED lights.

Nailed it.

/internet

SweetShark

With this logic I must identify myself as a Shark.

ef1.jpg

D

Deleted member 762073

Unconfirmed Member
I am confused, is this a way to support the extreme left or to critisize it?

Banned
Amiga was female too. Anyone who touched this computer is a misogynist

well funnily enough the vast majority of people in Germany used male pronouns when referring to the Amiga
even official ads referred to the Amiga with male pronouns

it usually is "Der Amiga" (der = male form of "the")

here an official ad of the amiga

screenshot_20190822-199k1s.jpg

yes, germans usually misgender the Amiga....

REEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom