• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"V, not 5" or: Sequel Numbering is Weird.

Orayn

Armored Core 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. What do these games have in common? They both have sequels that use a Roman numeral V. Does this drive anyone else crazy? I'm kind of obsessive about getting sequel numbers right, like Dead Space 3 and Dark Souls II, so it's kinda bizarre and off-putting to me when a series changes the way its entries are numbered.

Share anything else you find explicable in iterative game naming.

Zoator

At least they didn't pull a Square-Enix and mix Arabic and Roman numerals in the same title. See: Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XIII-2

Orayn

Fine with that if it is indeed a series. Unless you mean only the first game has a subtitle, in which case, I agree.

Dragon Age boomeranged on this one. They had Dragon Age: Origins, then Dragon Age II, then they were going to have Dragon Age III: Inquisition, but wound up droppping the numbering again because apparently it's a new IP now or something.

Next up...Saints Row 101.

Will buy if it's a crossover sequel co-developed with Platinum.

CronoShot

Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart 7

MYE

Metal Gear Solid 4

Metal Gear Solid V

Metal Gear Solid 5+1

Metal Gear Solid IIIIIII

Metal Gear Solid O C T O

Metal Gear Solid 3 x 3

Ten Metal Solids

Ten Metal Solids: The Second Gear

Dart

I like the Uncharted approach

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception

Roman numerals are alright I guess, doesn't bother me to much.
The FF titles are ridiculous though I mean FFXIII - 2? oh & Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII really?

Yuripaw

Banned
Did schools stop teaching Roman numerals after I went? I remember learning that shit when I was in elementary school. When I worked at GameStop, this kid was pissing me off every time he said grand theft auto eye vee. I kept correcting and said "it's four, not eye vee"

Really ? The numbering style for armored core is what bothers you.

Not that the series went from Armored Core 4 to the stand alone expansion thing of Armored Core : For Answer and then from Armored Core V to Armored Core: Verdict Day.

But I'm sure to the Japanese guy coming up with these they probably sound like a brilliant play on words.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Its the Final Mix of 1 and the stuff between 1 and 2, it makes sense.

I think he's referring to the fact that the game uses a roman numeral I with a decimal .5

I didn't even realize it was an I until it was pointed out, but now it annoys me :(

Anyways, the hyperdimension neptunia series has a weird iteration thing going on.

Hyper Dimension Neptunia
Hyper Dimension Neptunia Mk 2
Hyper Dimension Neptunia Victory (the V is prominent on the cover).

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Except you don't capitalize the b. Stop doing this people.

Nah. Fight the man! Nobody tells me how to type the name of a console!
I can't think of any janky naming conventions. Sorry.
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4

S2l9C3L.png

V or FIVE? I'm confused.

Top Bottom