• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"V, not 5" or: Sequel Numbering is Weird.

NewGame

Banned
Some games use colours for their sequels but mostly just edutainment.

Cataloger.Image.php

Cataloger.Image.php

Cataloger.Image.php

Chrom

The original Mega Man series' numbered sequels are officially titled with regular numbers, but it isn't until Mega Man 8 that they stop using roman numerals in-game.

I feel like Metal Gear going from 4 to V has some convoluted reasoning within the game, like it is supposed to represent both the Roman numeral for 5 and the letter V.

Eusis

S2l9C3L.png

V or FIVE? I'm confused.
55. It's the latest in an absurdly long list of ignored GTAs before finally having a breakout hit again.

And the X-2 situations are probably the only one where it really has sound non-marketting logic, being a clear indicator of being a direct sequel to an installment. Goofy looking, but the logic is sound. Meanwhile I.5 just seems like Nomura being pretentious yet again.

Kazerei

Banned
It's hilarious when it messes with Steam's alphabetical order.

I wish it didn't annoy me, but it does. I'm kinda OCD about keeping my games collection nicely sorted. Alphabetical order makes sense overall, but within a game series I want it sorted by release order. A lot of game series have subtitles though, so it gets sorted by alphabetical order of the subtitles. Argh.

Like with GTA, my library looks like this:

Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

But I want this:

Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto IV

Nairume

Banned
Obviously this is more of a fandom thing, since the series isn't officially numbered, but Fire Emblem's fanon sequel numbering gets kinda weird

Fire Emblem = FE1, which makes sense
Fire Emblem Gaiden = FE2, which is weird because the game is explicitly a spinoff and is also really different
Mystery of the Emblem= FE3, which okay, even though it's a remake of the first game with a sequel campaign
Geneology of Holy War= FE4, well it's the fourth game if you count Gaiden
Thracia 766= FE5, though it's a midquel to 4
Binding Blade= FE6
Blazing Blade= FE7, prequel to FE6
Sacred Stones= FE8
Path of Radiance= FE9
Radiant Dawn= FE10
Shadow Dragon= FE11....despite being a remake of FE1
New Mystery of the Emblem= FE12....despite being a remake of half of Mystery of the Emblem

I guess Awakening would be 13, but people don't ever seem to use that since FE:A is quick enough. But we basically have a weird numbering system that includes a spinoff and remakes.

tensuke

S2l9C3L.png

V or FIVE? I'm confused.

Well, I'm kind of glad they put both. Otherwise people would just call it Grand Theft Auto Vee (like some people call gtaIV Grand Theft Auto Eye-Vee). Seriously, people that call it Eye-Vee instead of 4 make my head explode.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
The absolute worst is Hot Pursuit:

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Yes, the unnumbered title is actually a sequel to the numbered one!

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Well, I'm kind of glad they put both. Otherwise people would just call it Grand Theft Auto Vee (like some people call gtaIV Grand Theft Auto Eye-Vee). Seriously, people that call it Eye-Vee instead of 4 make my head explode.

A little bit off topic, but how people pronounced Deus Ex: HR when it came out I felt was a good meter of how cultured they were. Those that don't know the origin of the word pronounce it "deuce ex"

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I remember talking to this kid that said that he had GTAIV instead of the number 4? I tried to correct him, but he couldn't get it. This is our future.

The absolute worst is Hot Pursuit:

Yes, the unnumbered title is actually a sequel to the numbered one!
Isn't NfS: Hot Pursuit more of a reboot than a sequel

I'm pretty sure they switched to roman numerals for MGS5, because the title actually has a double meaning.

1. V for 5.
2. V is also a part of the game's story. The first trailer of the Phantom Pain ends with the words "V has come to," which probably refers to Big Boss (or the bandaged man) waking up from his coma. He's patient V, in other words.

Eusis

Madden NFL 12
Madden NFL 13
Madden NFL 25

What exactly will they be doing in 2024? Call the game Madden NFL XXV?
Given the Superbowl it wouldn't surprise me if they were planning to do something like that starting with 15.

Though EA's shown they give no fucks about recycling names where they clearly don't have to (Need For Speed has two Hot Pursuits and two Most Wanteds, the latter within the same generation.)

Berordn

The original Mega Man series' numbered sequels are officially titled with regular numbers, but it isn't until Mega Man 8 that they stop using roman numerals in-game.

It doesn't help that in the original numbering, Mega Man V and Mega Man V were two entirely different games. Though the North American box art for the NES games used digits if I'm remembering correctly.

The Need for Speed
Need for Speed II
Need for Speed: High Stakes
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed
Need for Speed: Underground
Need for Speed: Underground 2
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Need for Speed: Carbon
Need for Speed: ProStreet
Need for Speed: Undercover
Need for Speed: Shift
Need for Speed: Nitro
Need for Speed: World
Need for Speed: Nitro-X
Shift 2: Unleashed
Need for Speed: The Run
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Need for Speed: Rivals

Zarx

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines

That's the second game the first was Vampire: The Masquerade – Redemption. It kinda make sense when you consider they are based off the P&P RPG which was called Vampire: The Masquerade. Just be glad they didn't call it World of Darkness – Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines.

Top Bottom