• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

V-Rally 4 [PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Switch/PC] September 2018 Release

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
It's certainly been a while, V-Rally 3 was first released in 2002.

Big Ben Interactive - Press Release said:
Released in 1997 on PlayStation 1, V-Rally revolutionised the genre with 3 game modes and its selection of vehicles and famous tracks. Some years later, on PlayStation 2, V-Rally 3 was immensely successful, adding a career mode with decisive team choices and an even greater number of tracks.

Absent since 2003, the epic title is now making its big comeback with more than 50 models of emblematic rallying and extreme motorsports vehicles. Nostalgic players can collect, upgrade, customise, and above all, master them! In the trailer, we can already see 3 iconic cars: a Porsche 911 Safari, a Ford Mustang and a Ford Fiesta RS RX.

The goal of this new entry is to remain faithful to the identity of the franchise, which earned the support of millions of fans, and to strike a perfect balance between sensation, presentation, and simulation, while offering the best graphics and gameplay the latest technology can support.

Developed by Kylotonn Racing Games, a French studio specializing in racing simulations such as WRC 7 and TT Isle of Man. Alain Jarniou, Game Director at Kylotonn, declared, "It's a real privilege for me to once again work on the V-Rally series. It's an extraordinary title that I have a very special connection to. I had a chance to join the team that created V-Rally to develop V-Rally 3 on the PlayStation 2 as a programmer. I'm very proud to be working on the franchise again 15 years later."

Behind the wheel of these epic vehicles, you'll experience the extreme sensations of the most insane races:
  • Rally: From Africa to Sequoia Park and Japan, travel the world along difficult tracks and in extremeconditions, such as snow, ice, and mud...
  • Extreme-Khana: You'll have to be a master of precision and drifting on these tracks full of pitfalls.
  • V-Rally Cross: Leave your opponents in the dust on these dirt/asphalt tracks and take on 7 expert
    adversaries.
  • Buggy: Hop into your all-terrain vehicle to win the race on these particularly rugged tracks. Not for the faint of heart!
  • Hillclimb: Race to the top behind the wheel of powerful cars.You can also prove yourself in V-Rally 4's Online and Career modes.
    Let adrenaline boost your reflexes, learn to dominate the road and weather conditions, and take on the most dangerous tracks in spectacular settings.
V-Rally 4 will be available September 2018 on PlayStation®4, Xbox One, Nintendo SwitchTM and PC.

Press Release - PDF

This is being developed by Kyloton Racing who also developed the last three WRC games and TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge.

V-Rally 4 - Official Site - Bigben Interactive

Some thoughts on the surprise announcement and teaser trailer.

Droxcy

Crazy to see devs still making rally games. DiRT was one of my favorites got 100% achievements for the first one back in the day. VRally looks just as good

GMAK2442

I'm going to try this, I like rally. I haven't finish WRC7 yet but I've finish Dirt Rally and Dirt 4 lately. I wonder how it stand with the other rally games that I have.

It's unfortunate that the trailer doesn't contain gameplay.

Last edited:
Played V-Rally to death on PS1. You could do a full championship in 2 player splitscreen including CPU opponents. That made it incredibly fun.
Colin McRae (which released one year after V-Rally) was superior of course but you had to play alone. V-Rally was one of the best 2 player games ever.

V-Rally 2 was the best thing. Had a frickin' track editor and I spent a ton of time just making tracks. Me, my brother, my father, my cousins and my uncle used to gather in the living room and play V-Rally 2 (and Track'n'Field) all day. Those were the times.

But I don't see any track editor, which is disappointing. Hopefully it'll have split-screen at least.

I didn't knew this series. Is it an arcade racer? Or a simulator

Pretty sure it was arcade, definitely not a full simulator. At least those I've played (1 and 2). Here's some gameplay of V-Rally 2, just jump around in the video to see clips from different tracks.

V-Rally 2 (PS1 and Dreamcast) had up to 4 player multiplayer and even a track editor to make your own tracks, neither of which I'm expecting we'll get from this new game.

maxresdefault.jpg

wipeout364

I loved V rally but have to wonder why they are making this, Did they lose the wrc rights? I feel like their have been quite a few Rally games this gen I wonder how they are selling?

Gravel is on sale this week does anyone know if it is any good?

YT-comments say this is just WRC 7 renamed V-Rally 4.

Looks good to me though I wish we could just hack DiRT Rally to use WRC/V-Rally's tracks...

Last edited:

ljubomir

I'm really hoping it turns half-decent on the Switch, it was a long time since I've played a decent rally on a portable system.

I like the bonnet view on the last bid above - its as if its just the windscreen. I wish they had wiper animation on this rather than having to probably go into cockpit mode to get the animation - this makes your viewing angle of the track smaller.

I also hope that they add water splash onto the screen like in Dirt Rally when you go through the big puddles.

Handling looks nice and maybe a bit easier than Dirt but that might just be the track design (only these tracks?) - they look at bit straighter than Dirt perhaps?

Game is now on my radar... I played my first Rally game on ps1 back in the Day and it was....

V Rally!

Got the sequel too!

GenericUser

It actually looks pretty good to be honest. Considering Dirt Rally was a tad to hardcore for me, I might pick this one up, once it goes on sale. I loved vRally on the PS1.

EDIT: On a second look, whats missing are some spectators. Tracks look a little empty.

Last edited:
I'm not that sold on the trailers, mostly because what made me spend so much time in V-Rally 2 was the local multiplayer and the fun of creating your own tracks.
That said how are the game modes? Do they have an internal sense of progression? Is it like DiRT or like Gran Turismo?

I really enjoy rally games. Like the dirt series especially dirt rally. Never really got into Vrally but did really get into Rallysport Challenge 1 and 2. Microsoft needs to bring those back on Backwards Compatability.

Top Bottom