• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

V Rising is out today in Early Access (Vampire / Survival / ARPG /) from Battlerite devs.

drotahorror

Not usually my cup of tea, but supposedly it's pretty good. There's dedicated servers from day 1, you can even create your own server from the get go. PVE and PVP servers.

Around 40k players and it just came out a couple hours ago.

SkillUp said this was one of the most polished Early Access titles he'd ever played. And compared the initial fun of the game to that of Valheim and Subnautica. Subnautica is the only other survival game I've enjoyed so V Rising could be for me.

Holammer

Haven't played it, but the gameplay looks very MOBA'ish with skill shots etc. Considering the developer, it makes sense.

Shifty

I dig ARPGs and Battlerite had really good combat, so I'm optimistic about this one. It's apparently solo-viable, so perhaps it'll be the first survival craft 'em up to actually catch my attention.

However, I find it more than a little questionable that it's launching into early access at a £15 price point, but has £30 worth of DLC from the get-go.

drotahorror

I dig ARPGs and Battlerite had really good combat, so I'm optimistic about this one. It's apparently solo-viable, so perhaps it'll be the first survival craft 'em up to actually catch my attention.

However, I find it more than a little questionable that it's launching into early access at a £15 price point, but has £30 worth of DLC from the get-go.

I understand your hesitance about the monetization but it's just cosmetics. Just there for the people that want to show even more support. Seen it before.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I am not as bullish on this game as I was Valheim, but V Rising is one to watch for sure. I just worry the lack of procedural generation may hurt replayability. Gives me similar vibes to that conan game (which is quite fun).

ManaByte

Gold Member
Survival...

Jimmy Fallon Cringe GIF

nikos

Been looking forward to this even though I don't play survival games.

One thing I really don't like is the server situation. Your progress only exists on one server. As somebody who enjoys multiplayer, but whose friends are not playing this game, I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm forced to play this as a solo experience on my own private server rather than join a random server and potentially lose all of my progress.

Rykan

Looks really interesting actually. I'm super excited to play this when it comes out.

I've said, when it comes out.

AX8

Banned
Having fun with this so far, built up a small castle and fought some bosses, overall pretty good for an early access, can't wait to get back to it tomorrow

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

V Rising is a new survival top down MMORPG that features vampires battling for survival and rule of the land. You can build your own castles, forts, and resource farming machines to establish your territory. However, standing in the sun for too long will cause you to burn and take damage, but luckily the world is yours and you can regain blood and health from feeding off animals and living creatures in the realm. Here is 9 minutes of starting gameplay in V Rising with character creation, building, combat, and the first boss fight.

Ogbert

Really enjoying it.

It's certainly a grind, but in a good way.

I really like the sense of progression being associated with boss kills.

Think they have a hit on their hands.

drotahorror

After 4 hours, I really dislike it. Not for me.

I fooled around some more and, I dunno it's pretty good honestly. It's challenging and the combat is fun. I have already packed up my castle to move to a new zone and that sucked big time though. Took like 2 hours, maybe more. I do not like that aspect at all.

Mr.ODST

I fooled around some more and, I dunno it's pretty good honestly. It's challenging and the combat is fun. I have already packed up my castle to move to a new zone and that sucked big time though. Took like 2 hours, maybe more. I do not like that aspect at all.
2 hours realtime to move the castle?

GHG

Skill Up likes it, consider my interest piqued.

He mentions performance isn't too hot though, how are you guys finding it in that regard?

Played it for just over an hour. It’s ok and it will for sure get an audience, it’s not for me though. Lots of grinding for resources and the day time stuff gets a bit annoying for me personally.

drotahorror

Still goin strong. I'm max gear level and trying to build up my castle. Have 4 bosses left to kill, then a major break.

Game has sold over 500,000 copies as of Friday and over 100k concurrent users yesterday. I'm sure Stunlock is happy.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

V Rising Early Access review in progress by Leana Hafer, on PC.

While its time-consuming crafting aspects can take the bite out of the vampire fantasy, V Rising really does rise to the occasion with its excellent boss design and respectable ARPG combat. A great vampire game is defined not so much by the power fantasy as it is by how well it forces you to work around the interesting lifestyle and weaknesses of the undead, so keeping the killing rays of the sun and your dwindling blood supply as ongoing concerns is effective and evocative. It's not an automatic recommendation from me yet, though I do have close to half of the bosses left to face, but there's certainly a lot of good stuff to sink your teeth into already. If I had to score it now I'd give it a 7, but I'm going to keep on going until I take down every last boss before I finalize this review, so check back for more later.

ShaneDH

Neo Member
Been looking forward to this even though I don't play survival games.

One thing I really don't like is the server situation. Your progress only exists on one server. As somebody who enjoys multiplayer, but whose friends are not playing this game, I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm forced to play this as a solo experience on my own private server rather than join a random server and potentially lose all of my progress.
Sounds very much like Lost Ark in relation to servers.

Top Bottom