• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valheim |OT| Explore, Build, Conquer, Craft, Survive, Cooperate (Added to GamePass 14/03)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
sRaJG5o.mp4

Release date: 2 Feb 2021 (Early Access); Full Release 2025 or beyond
Platforms: Steam, Xbox / Gamepass
Developer: Iron Gate AB
Price: $19.99 USD

FvFkGFP.png

Valheim is a brutal exploration and survival game for 1-10 players set in a procedurally-generated world inspired by Norse mythology. Craft powerful weapons, construct longhouses, and slay mighty foes to prove yourself to Odin!

VALHEIM_EXPLORE.gif

EXPLORE THE TENTH WORLD
Explore a world shrouded in mystery. Discover distinct environments with unique enemies to battle, resources to gather and secrets to uncover! Be a viking, sail the open seas in search of lands unknown, and fight bloodthirsty monsters.

VALHEIM_BUILD.gif

BUILD MIGHTY HALLS
Raise viking longhouses and build bases that offer reprieve from the dangers ahead. Customise buildings, both inside and out, with a detailed building system. Progress through building tiers to upgrade, expand and defend your base.

VALHEIM_CRAFT_SURVIVE.gif

GATHER, CRAFT AND SURVIVE
Struggle to survive as you gather materials and craft weapons, armor, tools, ships, and defenses. Decorate your hearths and sharpen your blades, grow crops and vegetables, prepare food, brew meads and potions, and progress as you defeat more difficult bosses and discover new recipes and blueprints.

KEY FEATURES:
  • Massive procedurally-generated world where every biome is immersive and distinct, with unique enemies, resources and crafting recipes to discover.
  • Play alone or with up to 10 players on player-hosted dedicated servers and experience unlimited world creation and enemies that scale in difficulty.
  • Staminabased combat that rewards preparation and skill. Utilize weapon types with unique attacks, different blocking styles, ranged combat, dodges and parries to fight your enemies.
  • Rewarding food system where you cannot starve and are not punished for not eating, instead you gain health, stamina and regeneration buffs depending on what foods you consume.
  • Intuitive crafting where recipes are discovered as you explore the world, and pick up new resources and ingredients.
  • Flexible building system that takes structural integrity and ventilation into account. Build a small shelter or an entire village, make outposts or claim abandoned buildings as your own. Then customize to your liking.
  • Sail boats and ships to reach distant lands and explore the sea that offers riches to claim and monsters to fight.
  • Epic boss fights that will test even the best prepared vikings and offer rewards that help you on your journey.

Community-translated languages:
    In addition to the officially supported languages, Valheim has several community-translated languages. As the name would suggest these are all translated by fans and members of the community, and is an ongoing process. We can't guarantee the quality nor completeness of any specific translation effort.

7xiK3QB.png

S0qcUAc.png
jxal2o3.png
NwKDl39.png

N0y2ptH.png
WKGVD6W.png
8HHCDug.png

m4AlHQv.png
SbXnMrj.png
pr23Jap.png

SfJoMZo.png

FoX6SeK.png

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
5i6LwUr.jpg

Patch Notes
As many of you will now know from the series of short spotlight videos, the Hearth & Home update brings plenty of new content to Valheim, expanding your gameplay options by introducing new mechanics, furniture, building pieces, food, weapons, optimizations and more.

The name of the update is Hearth & Home, which means that the cooking and the building got a bit of extra attention. For all the builders out there we have added a whole bunch of new build pieces and furniture, ranging everywhere from sturdy shingle roofs to a mighty stone throne.
3d8189e37dae71fdb189c5bdabc732753d48a4b5.png

We’ve also done our best to listen to community feedback, and several highly-requested features have made their way into this update. You’ll now be able to share map data with other vikings in your world, find seeds to plant more types of trees, and finally destroy your unwanted items with the new obliterator.
4903fa284591eece9ed4a973beaf8e937bf4c374.png

If taming animals is your thing, you’ll now find that you can name your favorite pets. We also suggest that you spend some extra time with your Lox...
c1f006969bdd57c402f712e41de0c187ffd99a06.png

While many features introduced in Hearth & Home have already been revealed, not even Odin has spied some of the new features being added with the update, including something dark and mysterious that seems to spread across the plains… Brave vikings should go and find out for themselves!

8ATq4kV.jpg

Patch Notes
The Frost Caves have finally arrived! Are you brave enough to venture into their depths, and will you find your way out before the inhabitants get you? This update also comes with a brand new event involving one of the new creatures – how will you defend yourself and your base from these fiends?
4fc2fe33f1447a8ef398a80a9cd71f8d1d25b5ad.png

This update also includes full controller support, the option to pause in single-player and further optimisation settings!

When Valheim was released into early access little over a year ago, we also released a roadmap which we sadly had to cancel in May. On that cancelled roadmap we had an update called “Cult of the Wolf”. While we’re no longer calling it that, these frost caves are essentially that update.

We love the feeling of exploration and surprise that Valheim can give. We’ve been cautious with spoilers and only allowed a small group to try our content updates before release. With the release of the Mountain update, we wanted to try a different approach. The Mountain update was available on our public test branch before going live for everyone, and we want to thank everyone who gave feedback and found bugs that might otherwise have made it into the update's release. If you want to participate in future public testing, please head over to our Discord server or to our forum here on Steam for more information. But keep in mind that the public test is for testing, so don’t be surprised if you find bugs or less balanced things.

BTwkmdR.jpg

Patch Notes

Gather your friends and gear up, for it’s time to embark on the voyage to the Mistlands! We have worked hard on this update for the past nine months now, and we’re so happy to finally be able to share it with all of you.

We would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has participated in the Public Test period for this update, as your feedback has been very helpful. Given that Valheim is in Early Access some things are still subject to change, of course, but right now we feel assured that the Mistlands update is stable and ready for all of you.

An important thing to note is that the Mistlands biome will only generate in areas you have not yet discovered. Therefore, if you have explored a lot of your world, you might be better off starting a new one in order to actually be able to travel to the Mistlands. As per usual, mods will also most likely cause the game not to launch, as they are only compatible with the latest Live version of the game. If you have mods, you will either need to remove them or wait for the mod to be updated before you can play.

If you have managed to keep yourself from playing during the Public Test period we suspect you’re rather eager to dive into the game by now, so we won’t make this post particularly long. You’ll find the full patch notes behind the spoiler marker further down in this post, below the abbreviated version. You will also find the gameplay trailer, in case you want to take a peek at what the Mistlands will hold before you enter.

We do have one more treat for you though! You might remember the Viking trio from our Hearth & Home trailer last year, and you can now rest assured that their adventures aren’t over. See for yourself what their journey to the Mistlands looks like in this brand new animated trailer:

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
This huge success might actually backfire for them. Let's see what they do. Expectations will be sky high and the pressure of success is going to weigh down on the team. I hope they are able to follow their vision. Luckily It helps a lot that the game is not an online competitive game.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Looks pretty. How's the grind in this game? I've never gotten into these survival games because I don't enjoy grind, but my brother's kinda pressuring me.

Eh i got a refund on it. It looks fun if you have people to play with and time to play. For working folks with non gaming friends who have to solo play, it was pointless. I played my 1.59 hours and got my refund. Build a shack and upgraded a few things.

Survival games that are single player that i found enjoyable: minecraft, stranded deep, green hell, no mans sky, satisfactory, subnautica, conan exiles (to a point and then its too much). I liked the concept of this but it seems more co-op focused with from what i read how long it takes to make armor and shit.

Maybe if this gets quests and rpg loot or something besides the crafting to keep me going, or scalable enemies, recipes that go up or down based on player count, i will consider it again.

What i don't get is the hype this game got. I saw the same thing with Medieavl dynasty, which became bland after a while. How are these unfinished games getting so much praise?

Last edited:

Macattk15

Game needs more content! I know I know EA .... I wish I didn't blast my way through the 5 bosses. Would really love to keep playing, but doing it just for building feels pointless.

Will await some content updates before checkin back.

SJRB

Gold Member
Awesome OT!

Bought this last week, haven't played more than about an hour so can't really comment on it in any way. Should put more time in it this week.

I'm not going to be able to play Minecraft anymore after this, or any other survival game for that matter. It's not perfect, but it hits a lot of the right notes already in early access. It's more polished than most finished games and the potential is incredible.

I own the following survival games: The Forest, Green Hell, NMS, The Mist, Subnautica and Minecraft (probably a few others that I've forgotten about). Valheim shits on all of them. It's like a mix of Minecraft and Dark Souls.

Search up tips and tricks to get started, but I recommend not spoiling anything. The sense of progress and adventure is absolutely amazing.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If anyone was wondering about local co-op, there's nothing official, but Nucleus Co-Op has a supported script and it seems to work pretty well. Only requires one copy of the game. I gave it a technical test for potentially playing with my girlfriend, me on KBM, her on an Xbox pad, and it seemed good, took a few minutes to get going properly.

Obviously you need the hardware to run two instances of the game at once, I'm on a 5600X / 3070 so I have no idea how easy it is on lower spec systems.

f02axAH.png

Last edited:

SCB3

I've played for about 5 hours and beat the first boss, that was easy enough, now I'm completely lost, the Raven says the Black Forest is next but the enemies there hit a lot harder, so I explored to find stuff to help craft new stuff and upgrades, my god is the world a lot bigger than I thought, barely scratched the surface, and now I'm finding Dungeons with Smelting Cores and some Tin Ore.

My Shack is a mess and I've rebuilt it twice, died to smoke inhaling whilst I slept, 10/10

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Looks pretty. How's the grind in this game? I've never gotten into these survival games because I don't enjoy grind, but my brother's kinda pressuring me.
The only grinding I've done so far was for leather scraps. Those can supposedly be easy and if you tame animals. I've just started that so we'll see how quickly that turns around materials. Otherwise it's been perfectly enjoyable. I'm not a big fan of grinding either. I'm sure if you go crazy on the base building it might be grindy.

Is there more to explore in this game or standard survival?
I'm on a second island so far. It looks like there are different biomes across the land. There's a raft that I built but I've been too terrified of traveling far with it. I may go on a reconnaissance mission. Exploration is well baked into the game so far (~17 hours in).

Eh i got a refund on it. It looks fun if you have people to play with and time to play. For working folks with non gaming friends who have to solo play, it was pointless. I played my 1.59 hours and got my refund. Build a shack and upgraded a few things.

Survival games that are single player that i found enjoyable: minecraft, stranded deep, green hell, no mans sky, satisfactory, subnautica, conan exiles (to a point and then its too much). I liked the concept of this but it seems more co-op focused with from what i read how long it takes to make armor and shit.

Maybe if this gets quests and rpg loot or something besides the crafting to keep me going, or scalable enemies, recipes that go up or down based on player count, i will consider it again.

What i don't get is the hype this game got. I saw the same thing with Medieavl dynasty, which became bland after a while. How are these unfinished games getting so much praise?
I'm playing solo so far without issue. You can craft a club very early on to fight with. From there I got a knife, shield, and a spear. The spear does enough damage to keep me going. I've died maybe 5 times? The new area I'm in is tough, but I also can upgrade my armor so it's probably just poor defense.

I've played for about 5 hours and beat the first boss, that was easy enough, now I'm completely lost, the Raven says the Black Forest is next but the enemies there hit a lot harder, so I explored to find stuff to help craft new stuff and upgrades, my god is the world a lot bigger than I thought, barely scratched the surface, and now I'm finding Dungeons with Smelting Cores and some Tin Ore.

My Shack is a mess and I've rebuilt it twice, died to smoke inhaling whilst I slept, 10/10
Dunno how the world building is calculated but my Black Forest was directly south on a new island/landmass. There's a small portion of water that I can cross or I built a second, makeshift base near the water and then crafted the raft.

SCB3

Dunno how the world building is calculated but my Black Forest was directly south on a new island/landmass. There's a small portion of water that I can cross or I built a second, makeshift base near the water and then crafted the raft.

I'm also playing fully Solo, hard in some areas but I'm a Souls Veteran, its nothing I cannot handle yet. I seemed to have a world that is mainly 1 big Land area, heres what I uncovered so far (I'm literally just picking a direction and going until I cannot carry more resources atm)

zL5y2ou.png

I do not understand how I got that long part of the East uncovered, I don't have a Raft or anything yet, but that might be where I check out next

1 Thing I wish I could add is the ability to Blueprint designs, I kinda want to move my Home, but demolishing and rebuilding it all just seems like a waste of time, its in a ok place I guess

Last edited:

martino

I seemed to have a world that is mainly 1 big Land area, heres what I uncovered so far (I'm literally just picking a direction and going until I cannot carry more resources atm)

zL5y2ou.png
what is considered dungeon ? i've found a troll cave and a dolmen like dungeon with skeleton in it but they are not showing on the map
i only see my bed where i die and an position i discovered reading a rock message (+ starting area)

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Great ot! I have been playing for around 30 hours solo now, and have been farming bronze so I can build a ship to sail to another island!

Took me a long time before I found the little cores that you use to make all that stuff.

geary

That's the path the raven took when you started the game.
do not understand how I got that long part of the East uncovered, I don't have a Raft or anything yet, but that might be where I check out next

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm also playing fully Solo, hard in some areas but I'm a Souls Veteran, its nothing I cannot handle yet. I seemed to have a world that is mainly 1 big Land area, heres what I uncovered so far (I'm literally just picking a direction and going until I cannot carry more resources atm)

zL5y2ou.png

I do not understand how I got that long part of the East uncovered, I don't have a Raft or anything yet, but that might be where I check out next

1 Thing I wish I could add is the ability to Blueprint designs, I kinda want to move my Home, but demolishing and rebuilding it all just seems like a waste of time, its in a ok place I guess
Woah, I just assumed everything was islands. This is cool to see so much difference between worlds. The only characteristic I see that mirrors my own is the narrower river from my home base island to the forest.

MMaRsu

Banned

So u didnt even try what the game is about which is beating the bosses? Not even try the first boss?

Picked this up last week as it's seemingly in my wheelhouse (subnautica, greenhell, 7 days to die). Just about to the point of going to face the first boss, need to finish armor, assuming that I'll be one-shotted or something still though ha.

SCB3

what is considered dungeon ? i've found a troll cave and a dolmen like dungeon with skeleton in it but they are not showing on the map
i only see my bed where i die and an position i discovered reading a rock message (+ starting area)

It's a separate area like a cave or a Burial Ground, usually guarded by Skeleton Warriors

geary

When you start, it plays a cutscene where a raven has you in it's claws and then drops you in the middle of the Stones.
The journey that raven takes in that cutscene is what is revealed in that part of the map...

I started near the Stones in the middle of the map, my Home is where I ventured first until I got to that River

SCB3

When you start, it plays a cutscene where a raven has you in it's claws and then drops you in the middle of the Stones.
The journey that raven takes in that cutscene is what is revealed in that part of the map...

Ah right, thanks, that makes more sense

martino

You have to mark them on the map yourself.
(please don't hit me) i play with the controller (i'm on the tv currently) and the game/ui doesn't help to discover some actions playing that way.
Now that i know it's there i will found it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
(please don't hit me) i play with the controller (i'm on the tv currently) and the game/ui doesn't help to discover some actions playing that way.
Now that i know it's there i will found it.
Yes, this is the only thing so far that I've found to not work with a controller. I'm hoping it's just some combination of buttons I haven't yet tried.

DavidGzz

Uhh, it may ruin it for some but for me, mods have made it really enjoyable. I'm not too fond of that grind either. Too many other games to play so I used mods that get me more materials, carry weight that scales with my running stat, and being able to craft further from a table.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Uhh, it may ruin it for some but for me, mods have made it really enjoyable. I'm not too fond of that grind either. Too many other games to play so I used mods that get me more materials, carry weight that scales with my running stat, and being able to craft further from a table.
What mods are you using?

DavidGzz

What mods are you using?

I'm in bed cause I work nights and can't remember the name of each, but those 3 are some of the more downloaded ones on Nexus mods. Their names should make them easy to find. You have to download a program that allows Unity mods first. It's been a lot nicer. I also have one that let's me craft from item boxes in the vicinity. I'm not a very organized gamer so that's been a life saver.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The mod community is going to be immense for this game. Need to get mods on Gportal servers (and other hosts) though (will likely need steam workshop integration for that).

Last edited:

Bogey

Banned
This game is incredibly good.

It manages to create I feeling I've rarely felt since being younger - a genuine sense of wonder and "I don't know what I'll find behind that corner".

Most AAA games are so damn formulaic. You go exploring and you already know at best you'll find is some chest with a boring 1 percent stat upgrade item, or some other absolutely predicable stuff.

In Valheim, it feels a bit like anything could happen (which obviously isn't true, but just that feeling, that sense of wonder I get when playing it). I'm still not entirely sure how they achieved that, given none of the mechanics are revolutionary or new. But somehow it all comes together exceptionally well.

Kenpachii

Its 16 bucks or something on steam right now and frankly i need something new kinda getting tired of divinity 2 at playing it for 300 hours now yet again.

So i was wondering about this game, its cheap as hell anyway so i wanna play it with a friend that lives on the other side of the planet and has shit internet that disconnects a lot.

How are the servers working in this game? is it doable with shit internet? is reconnecting fast or not? hows the ms and servers. are there even servers? can u make your own server etc?

Also what happens if you die in the game? does the game end and u gotta start all over again?

Last edited:
Its 16 bucks or something on steam right now and frankly i need something new kinda getting tired of divinity 2 at playing it for 300 hours now yet again.

So i was wondering about this game, its cheap as hell anyway so i wanna play it with a friend that lives on the other side of the planet and has shit internet that disconnects a lot.

How are the servers working in this game? is it doable with shit internet? is reconnecting fast or not? hows the ms and servers. are there even servers? can u make your own server etc?

Also what happens if you die in the game? does the game end and u gotta start all over again?
You can make your own dedicated server. When you die you drop your gear and respawn at your latest claimed bed and have to make your way back to reclaim it. The game is pretty beginner-friendly imo.

Last edited:

denisonja

Neo Member
Liked the atmosphere and the fighting part but the pixelized graphics was what got me to refund... I just don't like that vibe....

Top Bottom