• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valheim |OT| Explore, Build, Conquer, Craft, Survive, Cooperate (Added to GamePass 14/03)

Janezcky

Neo Member
If I usually play survival games for maybe 4 hours and get bored with it, will this be any different? Also is it good for single player?

Last edited:

GymWolf

(please don't hit me) i play with the controller (i'm on the tv currently) and the game/ui doesn't help to discover some actions playing that way.
Now that i know it's there i will found it.
Does it work perfectly with a controller?!

Kenpachii

So bought the game, setup a server and playing now with my mate for a good few hours and i must say dam the game is beautiful, the lighthing/water/grass/wind, the music is great, the physics are fantastic and the crafting is also good fun. Defeated the first boss and now busy trying to get to the bronze age. Good fun.

martino

Does it work perfectly with a controller?!
No . label on the map is a good example
Also current way to move object is not ideal (for the genre not great)
but most the rest do.
you can evade hit bloodborne style a troll with a knife for example (even if lt+b for evade is not the best choice imo)

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If I usually play survival games for maybe 4 hours and get bored with it, will this be any different? Also is it good for single player?
Well it is a survival game. I don't usually get into these games, the only ones that really captured my attention were Terraria, DQ Builders, & Stardew.

It is fine solo so far. I'm not super far in but have spent about 17 hours in game.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I need to build something similar as my raft disappeared and I assume the wind carried it away.
33krun95k6j61.png

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Made it a bit further into the Black Forest. I found pine wood which unlocked many crafting options. Got the deer hammer thing & an upgraded bow. I had to cheese the hard wood by forcing it to crash into other objects but it worked.
Absolutely loving this game. About 20 hours in now.

Singular7

Amazing numbers.

I'm quite surprised though that at 4 million sales, top 5 steam charts and what not, this thread only has 2 pages!

And even on other boards I've seen, threads are nowhere near as active as for most other bigger games.

Kind of wonder why that is!?
That is odd.

People are skeptical I guess, or just playing Valheim.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Amazing numbers.

I'm quite surprised though that at 4 million sales, top 5 steam charts and what not, this thread only has 2 pages!

And even on other boards I've seen, threads are nowhere near as active as for most other bigger games.

It took me a while before I even heard of it. There was another thread discussing the hype, so the discussion has been a bit splintered here. I figured the game being as massively successful as it is, it deserved a proper OT. I think it's got some legs as well, so hopefully the thread stays active through full release.

Repo Man

Amazing numbers.

It's quite interesting isn't it ? Quite a few people dropped into the 1st Valheim thread on gaf and shit on the game for different reasons straight out of the gate.

I think it's a mixture of things really. Survival games are perhaps thought to be something that streamers hype up and there are a lot of gamers who have an issue with streamers, possibly due to the way some companies are seen to be catering to them when they make games.

Survival games are often seen as something stuck in eternal early access hell and maybe folks don't want to pay for something that may end up getting abandoned even though Valheim is a very complete product in its current state.

For some it could be graphics snobbery. They got expensive rigs so they want to see it pushed which is understandable. I agree with some that the low res look is a bit off putting but the lighting and atmosphere more than make up for it and after 5 minutes of launching the game I personally don't even notice the uglier side of the visuals.

Lastly you got the gamers who will simply hate on something popular and trending because they don't understand its popularity. Not suggesting that Gaf is full of these people but there are a lot of them around elsewhere.

Kenpachii

Played today with my mate for another 10 hours. Friend of his also joined now. Game was a bit laggy but other then that had a blast. The exploration is real, ran around with the 2 of us for 2 hours just exploring and getting rekt so upgrading gear is needed. did some skeleton dungeons for materials and got portals going now which is really useful at this point.

Man this game is so dam beautiful, sound is great. and the sailing is something else. hint never attempt to sail while the waves are as big as your house rofl.

Anyway can't wait to see whats next.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

New update support for vulkan arrived and updated the socket backend for better connections.

Hello Valheimers!
Todays patch has some major changes, the biggest change is the updated socket backend which should improve connection issues for a lot of players. Vulkan support as been enabled in Windows builds and can be enabled for now by adding "-force-vulkan" as a launch option in Steam properties for Valheim. This might fix some random crashes related to GPU drivers. World corruption caused by loging out and and the same time pressing ALT+F4 has been fixed. Some balancing fixes was made on bosses to make them more challenging ( u guys are killing them too fast ).

NOTE: Due to changes in character save data, once a character has been loaded & saved in this new version, they can no longer be loaded in an older version of valheim.

* Crafting item-dupe bug fix
* Harpooned player & ship bug fix
* Fixed player ragdoll
* Bonemass,Moder,Yagluth difficulty tweaks
* Moder music updated
* Tombstone bugfix (probably wont fix disappearing tombstones though)
* Fixed world corruption caused by pressing ALT+F4 while logging out.
* Deathsquitos have slightly longer audio range
* Tweaked audio on blast-furnace & spinning wheel
* Shared map position setting is saved per world
* Updated network stats (F2)
* Building destruction drop-fix
* Vulkan support in windows builds
* Network disconnection bugfix
* Updated socket-backend

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So this game is going to settle on 10 or 20 million sold?
If they finish it (ie their roadmap) and keep bringing in more content post release I could see 10-20 mil. Too early to tell though. Gotta see how they support and if something else comes in to take the wind out of their sales.

Prepare for clones though. The pve survival genre is about ro be as crowded as the pvp. I hope someone makes a "lost in space" version. Something like astroneer but tpsish.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Me and my buddy's reached the end of the world, god it was a journey to even get there.

If you don't want to see what's up with it, don't click on it. It's basically just us sailing to the end of the world.

2914245070ab9ab1247a943f1ff78338.gif

Anyway, beated the second boss. dam that guy did not go down easy.

Now on the way to the next area and see if we can progress further tommorow. We had a huge blast 3 of us and can't wait to play some more tommorow.

Some pictures of our journey.

b37e23f6c822784fa42c034478d6dd27.jpg

1fcba6d85572a72e316ce5e6aa1c23fd.jpg

686ce8291ed2eb8b9087e070652e982c.jpg

Last edited:
OK I finished the second boss and was thinking hmmm....I'll look out for the next one and investigate the swamps. Finds stone which highlights boss location. It is on the other side of the world...essentially 3x the landsmass away from where I started and dealt with the boss #1 and #2. So basically it's the equivalent of me needing to get to Australia from the UK - by boat. I'm not sure whether to be excited, dejected or scared.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
OK I finished the second boss and was thinking hmmm....I'll look out for the next one and investigate the swamps. Finds stone which highlights boss location. It is on the other side of the world...essentially 3x the landsmass away from where I started and dealt with the boss #1 and #2. So basically it's the equivalent of me needing to get to Australia from the UK - by boat. I'm not sure whether to be excited, dejected or scared.

I saw somewhere that there can be multiple boss spawn locations. But that said, I think I'd still target the known location. Corpse runs would be a pain.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Is there any end game or do you just complete the game after last boss?

SCB3

I saw somewhere that there can be multiple boss spawn locations. But that said, I think I'd still target the known location. Corpse runs would be a pain.
There is, I have 2 for the first boss on my map

Besides if you are travelling that farz you could always create another home on the way to set a new spawn point, or build portals

Kenpachii

Yea what i would do is build portal, and start a mini base over there. That's what we do for example, the last picture is exactly that, pretty much on the other side of the globe we builded a quick portal with a small house so u can move stuff there and make a new tiny base to get things done.

Last edited:
Haven't had a chance to try yet - how is the controller implementation? Only real complaint I've seen is with regards to creating pins on the map, but are there any major shortcomings?

Edit: Tried it out over lunch and didn't much care for it. Felt kinda klunky and unintuitive. Fortunately, I'm fine with kbm.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Man this game is the real deal. Awesome and extremely satisfying.

So how do you know you're ready to take on the first boss?

I've crafted leather armor and helmet, upgraded my flint axe three times. Judging from the crafting tree so far that's basically it in terms of weapons/armor.

Bogey

Banned

I've crafted leather armor and helmet, upgraded my flint axe three times. Judging from the crafting tree so far that's basically it in terms of weapons/armor.

I don't think there's any real indication of whether you're ready or not.

From what I can tell you so far, each biome tends to give you access to some new materials, which come with better weapons/armor. I'd think as long as you have a reasonable proportion of those, you should be good try. Even though you might then discover, say, bosses have certain weaknesses that your current equipment doesn't address very well.

Anyways, first boss: Don't worry, he's fairly easy. You're definitely ready to face him.

SCB3

Haven't had a chance to try yet - how is the controller implementation? Only real complaint I've seen is with regards to creating pins on the map, but are there any major shortcomings?

Edit: Tried it out over lunch and didn't much care for it. Felt kinda klunky and unintuitive. Fortunately, I'm fine with kbm.

I play with an Xbox One controller, which works pretty well for most things aside from Maps and Inventory Management. It does need some attention though

SCB3

You're ready, its an easy boss designed for low-level characters, Leather Armor, Shield, and Flint Knife is all I needed.

just remember to eat and prepare beforehand.

Holammer

[Possible Spoiler]
Had a creepy encounter in the game, two of my friends sailed to a new place so I figured I could some farm stone. When I set out I saw this robed shape of a man holding a staff. Instant goosebumps and it vanished as I walked closer. Lore wise it's probably Odin checking up on your progress? But I refuse to read or watch anything about the game, so I had no idea what it was or is, a brilliant event.

CCEDD42471B325917801900BDDBE352CCBD1CA96

Top Bottom