• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valheim |OT| Explore, Build, Conquer, Craft, Survive, Cooperate (Added to GamePass 14/03)

Dunno if these have already been linked, but these mods have proven nice little QoL/timesavers that don't break the game:

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Did some massive progression today, moved finally out of the bronze age, builded a massive new base near the swamp that gets constantly attacked, even a troll was destroying my base. Builded a big bridge to the other side of the river while at it.

So lots of things unlocked now in the iron department, also finally got stone to build with, made a massive ship dock area.

Migrated our swamp materials with our new big ship we created to our new base and dam that new big ship is the greatest shit ever. Its faster, more stable, more space, more tankier hell yea exactly what we where looking for.

Also did some ocean exploring and got some stuff done there will go further on that tommorow as we crated a new weapon for on the boat to see how that goes.

Entered swamp finally and dam those poison mobs are something else, luckely we got some poison potions now so good stuff on that front and we rebuilded our food base to the point it can actually produce something.

Can't wait to play more tommorow. Game is absolutely amazing and frankly one of my favorite titles so far in this year for sure and that all for 17 euro's lol.

Anyway got 51 hours on the clock now, and can't wait to play more tommorow. Great stuff.

Here's a picture of us on our new boat trying to sail out of the storm with a cart which honestly isn't much useful anymore as the boat has so much space anyway but oh well.

b3295bacdaee4123c04edbf276c11609.jpg

Repo Man

Anyone figured out what to do with old gear ? Is dismantling it yet to be implemented ? Thus far I've been doing what some people in real life do and just dump it in the sea! Art imitating life ?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Anyone figured out what to do with old gear ? Is dismantling it yet to be implemented ? Thus far I've been doing what some people in real life do and just dump it in the sea! Art imitating life ?
Make an in game store sell it for matts

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Is it just this pic or does the game really look that pretty?

I'm gettimg interested in getting this game. Is it worthy without frens? How is the combat?
It's decent looking for an indie game for sure.

I'm 25 hours in playing entirely solo without issues. I'm going at a slow pace, but haven't had much difficulty that isn't counter balanced by leveling or gear upgrades. I would recommend it. Watch a few vids if you're on the fence.

It's decent looking for an indie game for sure.

I'm 25 hours in playing entirely solo without issues. I'm going at a slow pace, but haven't had much difficulty that isn't counter balanced by leveling or gear upgrades. I would recommend it. Watch a few vids if you're on the fence.
Cool! Seems like a comfy game with all the exploration, crafting and building stuff. I'll watch some videos as the combat is the only thing I'm not sure about.

Varteras

Gold Member
Somebody explain to him how obstacles and gravity works.
Lol I gave him a lot of shit for it. He was having a hell of a time trying to navigate a forest with it. Every time he thought he was in the clear it would get stuck on something else. Was his first time trying to pull a cart.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I took a raft around the edges of land for a few hours yesterday. Wound up finding the swamp region and was immediately killed. I expected to die so I only took a torch. Anything else needed was OSP. Got a new raft and am planning to go the other direction until the same thing happens.

Cool idea:

I love this. Making bridges the old fashioned way:
hvyi70nvr2k61.jpg

If this works it will be a godsend:

SJRB

Gold Member
How do you guys navigate the burial chambers in the Black Forest?

It's so dark in there and I can't use my torch and my axe at the same time. I feel like I'm missing something obvious...

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
How do you guys navigate the burial chambers in the Black Forest?

It's so dark in there and I can't use my torch and my axe at the same time. I feel like I'm missing something obvious...
Weird I can use both my torch and the axe at the same time. If you can shield + axe, you should be able to torch + axe.

I've just started to clear out burial chambers myself. Went through 2 in their entirety and didn't find anything of value. On my 3rd I found a new item that unlocks a ton of crafting options but I've only found the one so far.

SJRB

Gold Member
Weird I can use both my torch and the axe at the same time. If you can shield + axe, you should be able to torch + axe.

I've just started to clear out burial chambers myself. Went through 2 in their entirety and didn't find anything of value. On my 3rd I found a new item that unlocks a ton of crafting options but I've only found the one so far.
Yeah I messed up. I usually use an axe - shield combo, but if I wield an axe and torch I can't fully block. I was just constantly juggling torch and axe and shield and thought "surely this isn't the intended gameplay", lol.

Pretty sure The club can be 1 handed and wrecks skeletons
Man I am such a noob. Of course does a blunt weapon more damage than a sharp weapon against skeletons.

Vangellis

Not huge fan of survival games, and Minecraft never really interested me. Holy shit though, this game is amazing. It's the definition of elements just working together to make something special and different. It merges the feeling of exploration in Skyrim, the scariness of "what's around the corner :messenger_face_screaming:" in dark souls, with crafting in minecraft or ultima online. Certainly is grindy, but free repairing, food management etc is good. Other survival games I've tried for just end up being tedious, but Valheim hits a very good balance. The low fi pixel thing doesn't bother me since the lighting and biomes are really pretty. Visually really cool mix of new and old together that again just manages to work. It gives me the feels of games I love when I was younger.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Small Patch update:

Good day Valheimers!
Todays patch has some huge changes to dedicated servers. Dedicated servers now always use direct connections instead of using Steam Datagram Relay (SDR). This should result in much lower latency for most players. Private dedicated servers are enabled by adding "-public 0" to the server command line (See server manual PDF). You can only connect to private dedicated servers using the "Join IP"-button. I really hope this patch solves a lot of connection issues introduced in last weeks patches ( due to switching socket backend ). In addition to these dedicated-server fixes valve are also working on fixes to the SDR system (used when connecting to non-dedicated servers) and i believe there is already a beta-steam-client available that fixes some of these issues. Thanks everyone!!

* Localization updates
* Made Haldor head-turn smoother
* Object network interpolation is skipped if object was far away, solved issue with network players flying through the air when entering dungeons & exiting portals etc
* Added -public 1/0 flag to dedicated server again, Allows players to host local lan only servers
* Join IP-button updated to allow for lan-connections (dedicated servers only) & added DNS support
* Dedicated servers use directIP connection instead of SDR, solves issues with slow steam relays in some areas of the world
* Bonemass puke-effect network fix
* Updated Dedicated-server PDF manual
* Prevent pickup items when entering portals
* Lowered wolf procreation slightly
* Lowered chance of boss trophy talking

SCB3

Well I decided to have a quick explore in my Lunch break today.

Found a dungeon and decided to have a quick look in, I need more Sulfer cubes for a smelter or something, well I found a couple and then fell down a hole got destroyed by Ghosts and died, but saw a room full of Sulfer cubes, great!.

Great, I'm not too far from home and crafted and grabbed a couple of things to help me get all my stuff back, especially the leather scraps I needed, got halfway there and a fucking tree got hit by lightning and killed me when it fell on me, lost of my stuff.

Well time to craft it all back, I need to move my home closer to the Black Forest anyway

SHIV4

I love singleplayer game so is this game for me?
Can I have fun playing solo?
And is there a npc character or just monster and animals?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Wired has an article up about the success of Valheim.

Some highlights:
In September of 2017, Svensson posted a video to his personal YouTube page that captures what seems to be the infancy stages of Valheim and demonstrates Svensson’s philosophy of public communication concerning the game’s ongoing development. When the game’s working title was changed from Fejd (Swedish for “feud”) to Valheim in 2018, Svensson noted the switch in the YouTube comments section. Video game studios can often be tight lipped during the development process, but Iron Gate Studio took the opposite approach, directly listened to what their players wanted, and built a vibrant community on Discord.

With two million copies sold in under two weeks, how do you think Iron Gate achieved this level of viral success?
Not sure really, we were more or less confident that Valheim would be received favourably, but these numbers are quite bonkers. We haven’t been alone in this venture though, and I would like to take the opportunity to point the spotlight on Coffee Stain Publishing and SwipeRight. They have been a great help with producing kickass trailers, making sure press and influencers are happy, among other things. They have helped us reach a wider audience, for sure.

Survival games can often be solitary experiences, but Valheim encourages you to invite friends over to your server. Why did you decide on this approach for a survival game? (Note: While popular survival games like Rust are multiplayer, the PvP combat fosters a more individualistic style of gameplay.)
It felt quite natural to be honest, we ourselves have always really enjoyed co-op experiences such as these, but more often than not it seems nowadays that the multiplayer aspect is capped at 4 players. We just wanted to try to get some more people in there, the more the merrier right? 10 vikings in a boat, steering their way through harsh storms to find a new shore to raid, encountering foreign wildlife and dangers! You could say that this is somewhat of a ‘dream-scenario’ here at Iron Gate that has influenced much of the development of Valheim.

The game is still in Early Access. What do you see in store for the next few months of Valheim?
Well, according to the Roadmap there’s going to be home improvements, some sort of spooky cult, and new options for maritime exploration. And then we have a whole new biome coming; Mistlands, a dark and foreboding place if you ever saw one! However, I would like to state for the record that we don’t plan on doing new content until we ourselves are happy with the current state of the game that is for sale, i.e for the foreseeable future we will try to get as many bugs squashed and issues sorted as possible.

Bogey

Banned
Any chance this comes to consoles?

At those sales numbers, it would he absolutely bonkers not bringing it to consoles.

It's made with unity anyway, and while I haven't played with a controller myself, I'd think it should work fairly well.

Personally, my bet is on Microsoft getting something started. Maybe buying them up, or financing/supporting a port or such.

This is pretty entertaining. Feel like I am not really building shelters in the best way possible. I have a lot of trouble with roofs. Lol. But it's fun to experiment.

Have not really ventured very far yet. It is fun to just mine resources, hunt for food, and slowly build up a settlement out in the wilderness.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This game is like crack and the reason I haven’t even posted on GAF much lately.

Its most similar to Dragon Quest Builders but it’s somehow better than even that very good series. I can’t quite figure out why.

Repo Man

5 million sold.

Mental! Well deserved!

I'm on annual leave from work for this week, I said to myself that I'm gonna try and finish RDR2 and play some Elite Dangerous. Hardly touched RDR2 and whenever I played Elite Dangerous I've been thinking of Valheim, then I boot up Valheim and can't pull myself out of it for hours.

So u didnt even try what the game is about which is beating the bosses? Not even try the first boss?
Stopped playing before refund became impossible. I at first was loving the game but it took forever to build anything as you can't carry much. I seen a number of posts online that crafting metal armor takes hours and hours, and how difficult it was to find and transport iron.

That to me said, whelp, without playing co-op whats the point. This game seems made for co-op. From what i was reading about it, the enemies are made with co-op in mind, not scaled in power based on number of players.
I would love a single player game like this. Alas, I will have to settle for action adventure games like God of war and AC Valhalla.

Repo Man

Stopped playing before refund became impossible. I at first was loving the game but it took forever to build anything as you can't carry much. I seen a number of posts online that crafting metal armor takes hours and hours, and how difficult it was to find and transport iron.

The cart is your friend. The 2nd boat also has a small 4 slot hold for transporting the ores you can't fit in your inventory if you're mining out at another island. The game gives us almost all the tools, it's down to us to make use of them.

TheMan

It's weird. I liked this game a lot after buying it a couple of weeks ago but before I got to the first boss, I wanted to make sure I had enough deer leather for armor. But, shooting those deer is a pain. I just completely fell off the game. Booted it up a few mins ago and I just couldn't play for longer than a few mins. Shame.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
So uh, i bought the game even if i hate the genre :lollipop_grinning_sweat: , it's in download right now, can someone explain to me what cohh is doing here? he switch between the axe and the hammer and he build a crafting station and i don't understand why or the logic behind that...

can someone gives me some beginner advices (mostly about crafting and building an house), and when i say beginner, i mean the slow kid who never played a survival in his life (and play with a controller no less🕺).

Do i need a big house? do enemies attack my house constantly and i need like a fucking castle with barricades, hot oil and all the shit? or i can just play the game as a janky souls open world game with the smaller and simpler house in the neighboor?!
I really REALLY don't care about building houses or anything more complicated than a bed and a forge for weapons (if i even need one), i even like sleeping outside in real life:lollipop_squinting:

thanks in advance fellows vikings, may odin offer you protection and safe sex in these crazy times.

Last edited:

Bogey

Banned
Do i need a big house? do enemies attack my house constantly and i need like a fucking castle with barricades, hot oil and all the shit? or i can just play the game as a janky souls open world game with the smaller and simpler house in the neighboor?!
I really REALLY don't care about building houses or anything more complicated than a bed and a forge for weapons (if i even need one), i even like sleeping outside in real life:lollipop_squinting:
A small house is perfectly fine.
anything bigger is usually just because, well it looks kinda cool.

Build a small shack with a bed, a fair amount of chests, fireplace (make sure there's some sort of chimney), roof on top, and you're good to go. No real need to have anything bigger.

In terms of protection - let's say, it doesn't hurt to fortify a little. Nothing super crazy, a fence will be a good start. Don't think you'll even need it very early on in the game.

Top Bottom