• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valheim |OT| Explore, Build, Conquer, Craft, Survive, Cooperate (Added to GamePass 14/03)

Repo Man

Couple of quick tips regarding the games settings, these ultimately boil down to personal taste but are generally advised:

1. Disable Depth of Field: DoF is pretty aggressive in this game and really blurs the scene in the horizon, disabling it will result in overall crispier image and better visibility over long distances.

2. Disable Chromatic Aberration: This creates a red/green distortion for outlines at the corners of the image. This is something Photographers have spent years trying to eliminate as its essentially an unwanted artefact resulting from the way lenses are created. Why game devs insist on adding it to games is beyond me.

3. Disable Motion Blur: doesn't really bring much to the table in Valheim, in some games it has been done ok, resulting in the illusion of seemingly smoother framerate.

4. Immersive Ship Camera: Some will prefer to leave this on but if you're prone to motion sickness at all I recommend disabling it for a less hectic camera during sailing.

martino

Couple of quick tips regarding the games settings, these ultimately boil down to personal taste but are generally advised:

1. Disable Depth of Field: DoF is pretty aggressive in this game and really blurs the scene in the horizon, disabling it will result in overall crispier image and better visibility over long distances.

2. Disable Chromatic Aberration: This creates a red/green distortion for outlines at the corners of the image. This is something Photographers have spent years trying to eliminate as its essentially an unwanted artefact resulting from the way lenses are created. Why game devs insist on adding it to games is beyond me.

3. Disable Motion Blur: doesn't really bring much to the table in Valheim, in some games it has been done ok, resulting in the illusion of seemingly smoother framerate.

4. Immersive Ship Camera: Some will prefer to leave this on but if you're prone to motion sickness at all I recommend disabling it for a less hectic camera during sailing.
1 for exploration is mandatory imo

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
pmyhcyvjaml61.png

I defeated the first boss and crafted a pickaxe, then headed for the Black Forest to start mining. I found a Burial Chamber at one point, and got all kinds of loot from it, but was killed my some skeletons on my way out.

That was a number of deaths ago. I've died just trying to find the place, and I haven't yet, so I took my time to craft a full set of equipment before trying again. I really need to at least get that Antler Pickaxe.

Will my stuff stick around for me to pick up when I finally make it back? Or does it go away if you die too many times?

Last edited:

Repo Man

I defeated the first boss and crafted a pickaxe, then headed for the Black Forest to start mining. I found a Burial Chamber at one point, and got all kinds of loot from it, but was killed my some skeletons on my way out.

That was a number of deaths ago. I've died just trying to find the place, and I haven't yet, so I took my time to craft a full set of equipment before trying again. I really need to at least get that Antler Pickaxe.

Will my stuff stick around for me to pick up when I finally make it back? Or does it go away if you die too many times?
If the game's wiki is anything to go by, your stuff should still be on the spot where you died for the first time but the marker on the map will show you the most recent death.

Death | Valheim Wiki | Fandom

Vangellis

Your body and stuff will still be there. I would suggest when you die to manually place a marker on the map just in case you die again.

martino

first thing to do when you find a place: mark it on your map !
it also helps to keep track you have explored the place by crossing it (clicking on the icon on the map)

Last edited:
Thanks. Manually placing markers... omg TIL. Thanks. It is long since gone now. Glad that you can go around and look for your lost gear. I need to find this one dungeon lol... No mining until then :messenger_sad_relieved:

I'm not sure which path I took. Now when I go into the woods, I just keep running into purple/orange glowing vortex looking things with enemies surrounding it. Last expedition I ended up finding a Troll Cave, which I quickly spelunked, but a troll and a bunch of minions got me on the way out. I like the challenge in this game!

Last edited:

Vangellis

Just want to say I love this game. I haven't enjoyed a game like this in at least a decade. It somehow has captured the wonder and excitement that has been lost for me in other games. Plus the general progression design and core loop is brilliant, for me at least. Its truly feel very rewarding an natural. Again at least for me, its foundation is basically the perfect game for me. On the top of my gaming experience I would place Soulsborne games and Ultima Online, also some elder scrolls. Valhiem for me is the combination of everything I enjoyed from those games rolled into one game. Glad this has sold well, I look forward to improvement of the game... as well as other designers/game makers copying some of the design philosophies of the game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I get the impression not much of Gaf likes or have played this game. Give this game a chance if you haven't.

Sevenfold

Man once your base gets big and the mobs get harder outside the fps really dips. Im sometimes hitting less than 20fps on a rtx3070
Yeah the game treats terrain modifications as objects too. It's wrecking my 2080ti at times. Looks lovely though. Not often I leave DOF alone especially given how aggressive it is, but there's something about cresting a hill and seeing my base all lit up. The lighting is ridiculous. Looks stunning at times.

For anyone on the fence, the sense of discovery is top notch. Go in blind and let it kick your ass. Very rewarding.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
When I see these massive buildings all I can think about is how much lag they would cause on our (or any) server. This game needs massive netcode updates. The desync is real bad around any base (framerate is bad too). Optimization PLEASE!

Finally, FINALLY stumbled upon the Burial Chamber where I lost my Antler Pickaxe so long ago. It's been hours by now. I ended up making 2 other ones, using the remaining antlers from the boss fight, and was using those to explore.

Now I have a Smelter, Kiln, and Forge, and I'm mining copper and tin, making bronze, and the crafting stuff has just exploded.

Still great fun! Super Mario 3D World has gotten left behind, I'll have to return to that whenever this releases it's hold on me...

Is anyone running a gaf server? I thought my wife would hop on board with me, but she hasn't, and the solo playing has been a bit lonely. If we have any sort of a group thing going, let me know!

Repo Man

Just FYI, if anyone's having FPS issues, especially on lower spec PC's, try adding the below line as it is into the games steam launch options

-window-mode exclusive -screen-fullscreen

My missus' fps has been tanking hard lately but that fixed it and hers runs nice and smooth now.

Patrick S.

Banned
Just FYI, if anyone's having FPS issues, especially on lower spec PC's, try adding the below line as it is into the games steam launch options

-window-mode exclusive -screen-fullscreen

My missus' fps has been tanking hard lately but that fixed it and hers runs nice and smooth now.
Or hit Alt+Enter xD

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I saw you were playing solo, were you still enjoying the game?
I'm on the fence, but don't have mates that enjoy these types of games.

Yes, still love it. Work picked up so I stopped playing on the weekdays and I've developed an addiction to Loop Hero. But the game is still absolutely amazing solo. I spend way less time actually fighting the bosses (I've only beaten the first one) and more on just exploring and building.

I've got 36 hours in the game, which is a great deal in comparison to it's price. For me, even if I drop off right now, I've gotten my monies worth.

i like all the building you post but do these are done a legit way ?
because with all the rocks needed here my head is already turning thinking about all the farm
if it's a yes i'm impressed by the dedication
Some are done with cheats enabled (ie unlimited supplies) and some not. I've been pulling the interesting ones from the Valheim subreddit. Cheats can be enabled any time during single player but I don't know the commands. Cheats are not available on multiplayer.

Last edited:

Pakoe

Gold Member
Yes, still love it. Work picked up so I stopped playing on the weekdays and I've developed an addiction to Loop Hero. But the game is still absolutely amazing solo. I spend way less time actually fighting the bosses (I've only beaten the first one) and more on just exploring and building.

I've got 36 hours in the game, which is a great deal in comparison to it's price. For me, even if I drop off right now, I've gotten my monies worth.

Some are done with cheats enabled (ie unlimited supplies) and some not. I've been pulling the interesting ones from the Valheim subreddit. Cheats can be enabled any time during single player but I don't know the commands. Cheats are not available on multiplayer.
Seems like something i'd do as well. Thanks for responding, I'll try it out.
Loop Hero took a big chunk of my time as well! What a great little game.

martino

Seed:
HHcLC5acQt

there is this site to play with seed http://valheim-map.world i discovered today
i was exploring plain south for hours to find a find a huge mountain biome in vain so i got a look with the seed of my dedicated server
how unlucky i am with mine (and how uninspired i was to go full south too)

Last edited:
This game just gets better and better. I finally made a raft and ended up crossing over to another island, making a tiny settlement on a little outcropping near my raft. At one points the flood level would rise and cover up the flood of my hut, putting out the fire. Didn't matter much because within a few days of exploring I discovered the boss was on an entirely different island, and nothing new was here, just more tin. By now I had so many mining operations on the first island that I decided to depart permanently.

After taking the raft back, I decided, fuck rafts. I'm building my first real boat. Which was so badass, I did not expect how cool this upcoming sea voyage was going to be! I constructed a boat and dropped it in the water and found myself crossing a lot of open water, the tides getting really rocky at certain points, fighting against the wind when it wasn't going my way and sailing on ahead when it was. This was so much fun, one of the best renditions of this kind of open sea sailing I have experienced! The waves and tides were very impressive and realistic despite the low fi graphics.

n8IFVWr.jpg

ObCQAJC.jpg

Fighting the waves I made it to the other island, found the boss, and placed a Gate just a short sprint away. I have died several times to the Elder, once losing all my stuff, then two or three more times trying to get my stuff back and getting one-shotted running in. I kind of took a break to mine stuff and craft new equipment back home on island 1 before attempting again. There is a lot of alternate gear to play around with so it's cool trying out different weapons. Cool game.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

This game just gets better and better. I finally made a raft and ended up crossing over to another island, making a tiny settlement on a little outcropping near my raft. At one points the flood level would rise and cover up the flood of my hut, putting out the fire. Didn't matter much because within a few days of exploring I discovered the boss was on an entirely different island, and nothing new was here, just more tin. By now I had so many mining operations on the first island that I decided to depart permanently.

After taking the raft back, I decided, fuck rafts. I'm building my first real boat. Which was so badass, I did not expect how cool this upcoming sea voyage was going to be! I constructed a boat and dropped it in the water and found myself crossing a lot of open water, the tides getting really rocky at certain points, fighting against the wind when it wasn't going my way and sailing on ahead when it was. This was so much fun, one of the best renditions of this kind of open sea sailing I have experienced! The waves and tides were very impressive and realistic despite the low fi graphics.

n8IFVWr.jpg

ObCQAJC.jpg

Fighting the waves I made it to the other island, found the boss, and placed a Gate just a short sprint away. I have died several times to the Elder, once losing all my stuff, then two or three more times trying to get my stuff back and getting one-shotted running in. I kind of took a break to mine stuff and craft new equipment back home on island 1 before attempting again. There is a lot of alternate gear to play around with so it's cool trying out different weapons. Cool game.

Freaking loved the exploring and water sailing, the raft was something else in my first experience. we got directly stuck in a massive storm tha threw that raft around like a ragdoll. After getting the boat the world opened up, and after that it gets even better.

They really nailed the boat system in the game in my opinion i hope new content will add even more towards it.

Anyway

trying to do some hardcore runs today, and its hard man. died in swamp this time furhters i got because i didn't had food on. But progress has been made, sadly after that i tried again and died through a falling tree those fuckers man :D

Last edited:
Ugh been struggling with the Elder. Dude keeps killing me as soon as I get anywhere near. Then I lose all my stuff and have to build it all again. Not liking the difficulty jump.

martino

holy shit dat seed, sadly tho whats the point in playing a seed when u know where everything is. its just a checklist then. the unkown is what makes the game so good.
i agree to that but my limit seems to be around 30h looking for something and never find it
i'm also the only one really exploring (it doesn't 't help)
an option to scale seed with projected number of players could be great.
the world generated is not really thought for solo experience imo.

Last edited:

Repo Man

Ugh been struggling with the Elder. Dude keeps killing me as soon as I get anywhere near. Then I lose all my stuff and have to build it all again. Not liking the difficulty jump.

Few quick tips that helped me.

- Food combo of meat, queens jam and think the last one was a grilled neck tail or honey. Consider carrot soup if you find stamina to be an issue.

- Upgraded Troll armour set for mobility.

- Whatever the best bow you can craft and upgrade + fire arrows... lots of fire arrows!

- Mini base at 1-2 minute run distance from the boss location with a portal to main base.

- Before starting the boss make sure to use your hoe to flatten the ground a bit around the altar if needed and clear out any bushes, stumps and trees. Makes it much easier to kite the boss around the altar.

- Upgrade your Stagbreaker mace to level 2 or 3 to dispatch the Greyling adds quickly.

- As for boss itself, hide behind the pillars when it shoots the roots towards you and nuke with arrows. If boss comes at you or it summons roots right under you, just relocate to next pillar.

If all else fails, just use your pick to dig a small bunker under the alter, place a camp fire ( think you can place a bed too for a spawn ) and nuke the boss from relative safety.

Top Bottom