• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valiant Comics (Beginner's Guide) |OT| Out of the trash bin and into your hands.

XV2HWfY.jpg

lHj0nND.jpg

Dave Bautista in talks to play Eternal Warrior
Jared Leto In Talks For ‘Bloodshot' At Sony
OUT THIS WEEK 8/2/2017

zq5lZLE.jpg

Miscellaneous deals on Amazon - Physical - Kindle (redeems to Comixology)

0H12gCq.jpg

What is Valiant Comics?
If you were into comics in the 90's, it's likely that the name Valiant is familiar to you. Valiant was an American comic book publisher that was founded by Jim Shooter in 1989. They started off with then defunct Gold Key characters , such as Turok, but eventually began creating their own original characters. The label introduced twists on age-old superhero archetypes, with the most 90's sounding names ever – names like Ninjak and Bloodshot. At one point, Valiant's popularity rivaled that of Marvel and DC, and it was poised it to surpass its competitors by having such a large share of the market. However, due to the comics crash in the mid-90's, Valiant was sold off to Acclaim which eventually went bankrupt in 2004. In 2005, a group of entrepreneurs and fans of the publisher, led by Dinesh Shamdasani, acquired the rights to the Valiant characters and founded a new company – Valiant Entertainment. In 2012, they began publishing all new stories with their old characters, bringing in little-known writers and artists to work on its books. While Valiant Entertainment has yet to become as big as it was in the 90's, one thing is for sure – its quality is something to take note of.

Why should we care about Valiant?
If you're already a comic reader, you may already know what you like or maybe you're getting into new things now. Regardless of what stage in the hobby you're in, Valiant has something for you. Valiant's approach in the industry is unique – it's not creator-owned, but it sure has that feel. While the majority of the roster comes from Valiant's past (and retain some of their 90's flair), there have been great and significant additions to the universe made by these new batch of creators. The creators are given an unheard of amount of freedom to create the stories they want to tell with these characters, whether they are from old Valiant or not. The writers – such as Matt Kindt, Jeff Lemire, Fred Van Lente, Jody Houser, Peter Milligan – are the ones that really control the direction of the universe. To paraphrase what CEO Dinesh Shamdasani says about their stories, they're ”telling good stories that happen to have superheroes at the center." What's more, it is cool how the stories all tie together in a more subtle sense. In the first few years, Valiant took the more traditional approach to crossover events; with Harbinger Wars and Armor Hunters, they grabbed a few of the series together and sequenced the issues. However, most recently, they've moved away from this approach for accessibility's sake. Now, crossovers and events are relegated to miniseries with one-shot tie-ins, which helps the overall fluidity of the stories being told as well as the consumer's wallet. What's more, they have smaller continuity aspects that tie books together, like persisting villain organizations or world events, but it never encroaches on the story a writer sets out to tell.
Also, they don't take themselves too seriously..

0MbsQ2U.png

Why do YOU care about Valiant?
I started reading Valiant in 2015, when I had just heard about the deal the company had cut with Sony for a cinematic universe (more on that later). I had never heard of the publisher, so I asked in the COMICS! OT if anyone had any recommendations. I was given a handful of series – Harbinger, XO Manowar, Archer & Armstrong - to start with, so I went along with them. Aside from some rough art in the first few issues when they rebooted, I was simply blown away by the quality and the originality the books employed. They were taking tropes I knew well and turning them on their heads. But when I read what was considered their flagship entry story, The Valiant, I knew I was onto something special. However, when I came back into the COMICS! OT, I noticed very few people had read any of this. I felt like I was on one of the comics' industries greatest secrets. So, I started shilling for it.

But these really just seem like low-rent counterparts of Marvel/DC heroes
Sure, that's an adequate, albeit harsh, comparison. What makes these characters stand out? It's the stories written around them. I picked up Harbinger volume 1 expecting a mix between X-Men and Teen Titans. What I got was possibly one of the most adult, complex, and thematically relevant stories I've ever read. It covers some very deep, dark topics, and is not at all the story I expected. This was not a superhero team in the traditional sense, and what it did was tell the story that fit these characters without compromising for spectacle.

Do I really have to read everything to get the most out of it?
Not at all. You can get exactly what you want out of the publisher without having to put in more than you'd like. If you want to jump in for one series, that's fine. If you'd like to pick up several, that's fine too. You won't need to ”invest" in an entirely new universe to get the full enjoyment. Most of the stories are standalone or are designed in such a way that new readers can easily jump in without having to worry about years of established history. Also, all these characters got a fresh start in 2012. None of their history carried over from the 90's.

Are these books available on a subscription service or something? I don't really want to pay
Great question, and the answer is yes! Many Valiant Comics are available through Hoopla (free through your local library, where available), several of their first volumes and issues are available through Comixology Unlimited., and there are a large number of issues on ComicBlitz. Also, Valiant periodically teams up with Humble and Groupees to offer cheap DRM-free comics bundles. Comixology also periodically has sales for their series.

Ok, you maybe have me willing to give it a shot. Where should I start?
Glad you asked! Keep in mind, I'll list some stories that preceded or follow the book, but none of it is required reading unless otherwise noted. Most of the first trade paperbacks in a series are $10 MSRP (lower on Amazon) to provide an appealing entry point for new readers. I've also put an asterisk next to anything that needs a specific sequencing/reading order. Reading order for this will be at the bottom.
* denotes special reading order. Refer to the bottom of the second post for the order.

If you just want to try a bunch, here's a list of free #1's available through Comixology.

bvcV6Fd.jpg

VXVnVrP.jpg

Divinity #0
Description: When we catch up with Divinity, this lost Russian cosmonaut newly arrived on Earth with god-like powers has successfully restored the world to order after the reality-altering event known as the Stalinverse. He has to take stock of the current reality to make sure things really have been restored, so in taking account of the Valiant Universe, we get an insider view of his perspective on the heroes, villains, and gods that he encounters. Because of this approach, this zero issue will contain ”guest stars" like Bloodshot, Faith, Ninjak, X-O Manowar and more.
Writer: Matt Kindt (MIND MGMT, Dept. H, Ether)
Artist: Renato Guedes
You'll like it if you like: Doctor Solar, reality-bending Grant Morrison-style writing, a single issue entry into the universe
If you enjoy this, you will likely enjoy: Divinity, X-O Manowar (2017), Ninjak, Unity, Rai
Where to Buy: Local Comic Book Store

jkv8YEp.jpg

n3yzPRi.jpg

X-O Manowar (2017)
Description: Several years in the future, Aric of Earth has finally found peace on a distant planet away from the war-torn lands he hailed from. He has a wife now, and has forsaken the armor that had brought him many victories. But as luck would have it, war seems to have found Aric once more and roped him in. Struggling with having his newfound peace destroyed no matter his choice, Aric must decide whether he dons the armor once more, or finishes this war without embracing that part of himself once more. This is a sequel to the X-O Manowar series that started in 2012.
Artist: Thomas Giorello, Doug Braithwaite(Justice, Green Arrow), Clayton Crain (X-Force)
You'll like it if you like: space operas, Conan the Barbarian
If you enjoy this, you will likely enjoy: X-O Manowar (2012), Ninjak, Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, Unity, Rai
Where to Buy: Trade Paperback - Comixology - Local Comic Book Store

G8KtIXn.jpg

Harbinger Renegade
Description: Following the events of Harbinger and Imperium, the Renegades are forced to reunite as a new threat looms - a threat which even challenges the world's most dangerous man, Toyo Harada - with a new method of activating psiots becoming all too common, to catastrophic and brain-bursting results. Now, Faith "Zephyr" Herbert (LA's friendly neighborhood superhero), John "Torque" Torkelson (the hero turned reality TV star), and Kris Hathaway (the imprisoned mastermind) must come together to call back from the abyss of space the only person capable of rising up to this new challenge - Peter Stanchek, the drug-addicted young man who dragged them all into this in the first place and the most powerful psiot alive.
Writer: Rafer Roberts (Thanos and Darkseid: Carpool Buddies of Doom, Plastic Farm)
Artist: Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitan, The Boys)
You'll like it if you like: X-Men
If you enjoy this, you will likely enjoy: Harbinger, Imperium, Generation Zero
Preceded by: Imperium
Where to Buy: Trade Paperback - Comixology - Local Comic Book Store

jdz95uh.jpg

Secret Weapons
Description: Shortly after the identities of all the potential psiots in the world are leaked, a cybernetic threat rises and begins to hunt down those activated psiots too weak to defend themselves. A group of psiots with awful powers activated by Toyo Harada must band together to survive this impending doom. Led by former Harbinger lieutenant and technopath, Livewire, this group of bird-talkers and make-objects-glowers will find new ways to use their powers and become stronger than they were told they ever would be.
Writer: Eric Heisserer (Arrival)
Artist: Raul Allen
You'll like it if you like: The Runaways, Doom Patrol

l2YfX6J.jpg

Faith and the Future Force
Description: Faith ”Zephyr" Herbert – former member of Unity, current Harbinger Renegade, and Los Angeles' #1 superhero – is the universe's last, best chance at survival! Centuries from today, a devious artificial intelligence has unleashed a blistering attack on the very foundations of time...one that is unwriting history from beginning to end! Now, with her options exhausted, Neela Sethi, Timewalker – the self-appointed protector of what is and will be – has returned to the 21st century to recruit Earth's greatest champions of today and tomorrow to oppose this existential threat...and she needs Faith to lead them! But why Faith? And why now?
Writer: Jody Houser (Mother Panic, Faith, The Cavalry: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50th Anniversary)
Artist: Stephen Segovia (Action Comics), Barry Kitson (Legion of Super-Heroes, Amazing Spider-Man)
You'll like it if you like: time-traveling superhero teams

G5oKk3O.jpg

Rapture
Description: Tama, the 12 year old Geomancer, senses a new threat on the horizon - one that threatens to rip apart both Earth and the Deadside, where lost spirits reside. However, she can't do it alone. Heeding her former mentor, she seeks the help of Ninjak (the secret agent ninja), Shadowman (the former shadowmancer), and Punk Mambo (the terribly named voodoo expert). Together, they must venture into the Deadside and stop this old enemy - the one called Babel. But as Tama soon comes to realize, this rag-tag team of would-be heroes has their own set of problems to contend with that endangers the mission.
Artist: CAFU (Action Comics)
You'll like it if you like: horror-esque character designs, mystical comics
Preceded by: Ninjak
Where to Buy: Trade Paperback - Local Comic Book Store

78oRMRn.jpg

OpnashB.jpg

The Valiant
Description: My recommendations always start with The Valiant. It is what made me fall in love with the publisher, without having read too much of it yet. It's a fantastic and tragic tale of several of Valiant's heroes facing an impossible threat. It makes you fall in love with its characters after only a few pages, even with no prior background. What's more, it sets up several new and interesting directions, while giving a glimpse to the bigger Valiant universe for people wanting to experience new characters and stories. It's an amazing story and a great looking glass into this world.
Writer: Matt Kindt (MIND MGMT, Dept. H, Ether), Jeff Lemire (Green Arrow, Old Man Logan, Essex County, ”Real Hawkeye")
Artist: Paolo Rivera (Daredevil, Hellboy and the BPRD: 1953)
Length: 4 issues
You'll like it if you like: thematically deep storytelling
If you enjoy this, you will likely enjoy: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Book of Death, Unity, Rai
Where to Buy: Trade Paperback – Deluxe Hardcover - Comixology (#1 is free) – Local Comic Book Store

P60xGGd.jpg

Ivar, Timewalker
Description: Time-traveling hijinks! As a Timewalker, Ivar has been cursed with traversing through time and maintaining the very fabric of time itself. But now, to save time, he must stop scientist Neela Sethi from creating time travel! Will Ivar be able to convince Neela she is about to set in motion a catastrophic series of events?
Writer: Fred Van Lente (The Incredible Hercules, Weird Detective, Slapstick)
Artist: Various
Length: 12 issues
You'll like it if you like: time-traveling hijinks of the funnest order
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: Archer & Armstrong, Generation Zero, Faith, Valiant High
Where to Buy: Trade Paperback – Deluxe Hardcover - Comixology – Local Comic Book Store

mUYYW51.jpg

Faith
Description: Orphaned at a young age, Faith Herbert – a psionically gifted "psiot" discovered by the Harbinger Foundation – has always aspired to greatness. But now this once ordinary teenager is taking control of her destiny and becoming the hard-hitting hero she's always known she can be – complete with a mild-mannered secret identity, unsuspecting colleagues, and a day job as a reporter that routinely throws into her harms way! Well, at least she thought it would... When she's not typing up listicals about cat videos, Faith makes a secret transformation to patrol the night as the City of Angels' own leading superhero – the sky-soaring Zephyr! But flying solo is going to be tougher than Zephyr ever thought when she uncovers a deep-rooted alien conspiracy. Two-bit burglars and car thieves are one thing, but when the world needs a hero to stave off a full-blown extraterrestrial invasion, will Faith find herself in over her head...or ready for her biggest challenge yet?

Writer: Jody Houser (Mother Panic, Faith, The Cavalry: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50th Anniversary)
Artist: Francis Portela (Adventure Comics), Marguerite Sauvage (DC Comics: Bombshells, Shade the Changing Girl)
You'll like it if you like: slice of life, young adult superheroes
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: Faith (series), Harbinger, Harbinger Renegade, Valiant High
Where to Buy: Trade Paperback – Deluxe Hardcover - Comixology (#1 is free) – Local Comic Book Store

ua4HgnW.jpg

Generation Zero
Description: Years ago, the children of the experimental strike team known as Generation Zero were taken from their families by Project Rising Spirit, a private weapons contractor, and raised to be psychic soldiers. After years of taking orders, they have fought for and won their freedom. Now, the world's most wanted teenagers have pledged to protect each other tooth and claw, while using their extraordinary abilities to right wrongs for a generation without a future... To fight for kids, just like them.
Artist: Francis Portela (Adventure Comics), Diego Bernard (Red Lanterns)
Length: 9 issues
You'll like it if you like: teams of misfits, Doom Patrol, Umbrella Academy
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: Ivar, Timewalker; Harbinger; Harbinger Renegade; Archer & Armstrong; Valiant High
Where to Buy: Trade Paperback - Comixology – Local Comic Book Store

DTklj6h.jpg

Divinity
Description: At the height of the Cold War, the Soviet Union - determined to win the Space Race at any cost - green lit a dangerously advanced mission. They sent a man farther into the cosmos than anyone has gone before or since. Lost in the stars, he encountered something unknown. Something that...changed him. Long thought lost and erased from the history books, he has suddenly returned, crash-landing in the Australian Outback. The few that have been able to reach him believe him to be a deity - one who turned the scorched desert into a lush oasis. They say he can bend matter, space, and even time to his will. Earth is about to meet a new god. And he's a communist.
Artist: Trevor Hairsine
You'll like it if you like: cosmic stories, alternate reality and time-travel stories
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: Divinity II, Divinity III: Stalinverse*, Eternity, Imperium, Ninjak, The Valiant

jwqeCrn.jpg

Quantum & Woody
Description: Once upon a time, Eric and Woody Henderson were inseparable. Adopted brothers. Best friends. Brilliant minds. Years later, they are estranged siblings, petty rivals, and washed-up failures. But when their father's murder leads them into the throes of a life-altering scientific accident, Eric and Woody will find themselves with a whole new purpose - and a perfectly legitimate reason to wear costumes and fight crime. Go big or go home, folks! Quantum and Woody are coming! And the action-packed, zeitgeist-shredding exploitation stunt comic you demanded is here at last. (And, yes, there will be a goat too. Eventually.)
Writer: James Asmus (Thief of Thieves, Generation Hope, Gambit)
Artist: Tom Fowler (Green Arrow, Venom), Various
Length: 12 issues
You'll like it if you like: Spider-Man/Deadpool, Power Man & Iron Fist, Superior Foes of Spider-Man
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: Quantum & Woody Must Die!, Archer & Armstrong, The Delinquents

i1pxFV9.jpg

Britannia
Description: On the fringes of civilization, the world's first detective is about to make an unholy discovery... Ruled by the Fates. Manipulated by the Gods. Commanded by Caesar. In the year 65 A.D., one's destiny was not his own. At the height of Nero's reign, a veteran of Rome's imperial war machine has been dispatched to the farthest reaches of the colonies to investigate unnatural happenings... In the remote outpost of Britannia, Antonius Axia – the First Detective – will become Rome's only hope to reassert control over the empire's most barbaric frontier...and keep the monsters that bridge the line between myth and mystery at bay...
Writer: Peter Milligan (Shade the Changing Man, X-Statix, Hellblazer)
Artist: Juan Jose Ryp (Wolfskin, Magic Words, Clone)
You'll like it if you like: mystical stories, horror, demons, psychological thrillers
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: Britannia: We Who Are About To Die, Death-Defying Dr. Mirage

8J3c4kR.jpg

The Death-Defying Dr. Mirage
Description: Death was just the beginning... Doctor Mirage talks to the dead...but the only spirit Shan Fong can't find is that of her late husband, Hwen. Instead, America's favorite semi-retired paranormal investigator is haunted and raw, using her gift to solve homicides and bring peace to the recently bereaved. But when a big-time occultist with a classified military past hires her for a special job, Shan discovers a lead that might close the greatest mystery she's ever tackled — how to get Hwen back! Now, Doctor Mirage must enter the undiscovered country and cross all the realms of the underworld if she has any hope of rescuing the man she loves...or be forever lost beyond the earthly plane.
Writer: Jen Van Meter (Spider-Man: Black Cat)
Artist: Robert de la Torre (Daredevil, Thunderbolts)
Length: 5 issues
You'll like it if you like: mystical stories, horror
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: The Death-Defying Dr. Mirage: Second Lives, Britannia, Shadowman

skaWyVk.jpg

I9E7PwD.jpg

Harbinger
Description: Read minds. Bend steel. Break all the rules. Teenager Pete Stanchek is out of work, on the skids, and-- unbeknownst to him-- a psionic-powered "harbinger" with the potential to reshape the course of human history. Toyo Harada is a wealthy business magnate, a respected philanthropist and the most powerful harbinger of all-- or so he thought. As they forge an uneasy alliance, will Harada offer Pete a chance for redemption-- or attempt to induct him into a secret network of conspiracy, subversion and control? Pete is about to discover that he's not alone in the world and, soon, the generation who has nothing will take on the man who has everything.
Writer: Joshua Dysart (Unknown Soldier, Swamp Thing)
Length: 25 issues + Harbinger Wars crossover (4 issues)* + #0 + Harbinger: Omegas (3 issues, sequel)
You'll like it if you like: mix of X-Men, Runaways, and Teen Titans on a more mature level
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: Imperium, Harbinger Renegade, Faith, Generation Zero

icWvDKp.jpg

X-O Manowar
Description: Aric of Dacia is a brash warrior and heir to the throne of the Visigoth people. He has lived his life under the heel of the Roman Empire, but now a far more terrible enemy has come to subjugate him. Taken from his home and family, Aric is enslaved aboard a starship belonging to a brutal race of alien colonizers known as The Vine. If he is to have any hope of escaping and returning to Earth, he will have to steal the Vine's most powerful weapon — a sentient suit of indestructible armor — and become X-O Manowar!
Writer: Robert Venditti (Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, Surrogates)
Length: 50 issues + Unity crossover (4 issues) + Armor Hunters crossover (4 issues)* + several one-shots
You'll like it if you like: a different take on the all-powerful Superman archetype
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: X-O Manowar (2017), Unity, Wrath of the Eternal Warrior

js4mejm.jpg

Archer & Armstrong
Description: It's history in the breaking! After years of meditation and training, 18-year-old Obadiah Archer has been dispatched to New York City to carry out the sacred mission of his family's sect — locate and kill the fun-loving, hard-drinking immortal known as Armstrong! But as this naive teenage assassin stalks his prey, he'll soon find that both hunter and hunted are just pawns in a centuries-old conspiracy that stretches from the catacombs beneath Wall Street to the heights of the Himalayas. And Archer & Armstrong will have to work together if the future is to stand any chance of surviving the past's greatest threat!
Length: 25 issues + Bloodshot crossover (2 issues) + several one-shots
You'll like it if you like: conspiracy-busting buddy-cop stories, humor
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: Ivar, Timewalker; A&A; The Delinquents; Quantum & Woody; Generation Zero
Where to Buy: Trade Paperback – Deluxe Hardcover - Comixology (#1 is free; whole run free with Unlimited) – Local Comic Book Store

uHo6X6e.jpg

Bloodshot Reborn
Description: Bloodshot's nanites made him a nearly unstoppable killing machine. His enhanced strength, speed, endurance, and healing made him the perfect weapon, and he served his masters at Project Rising Spirit — a private contractor trafficking in violence — very well. Now, Bloodshot is a shadow of his former self. He lives in self-imposed exile, reeling from the consequences of his past life and the recent events that nearly drove him mad. But when a rash of shootings by gunmen who appear to look just like Bloodshot begin, his guilt will send him on a mission to stop the killers, even if it means diving head-long into the violence that nearly destroyed him.
Writer: Jeff Lemire (Green Arrow, Old Man Logan, Essex County, ”Real Hawkeye")
Length: 18 issues + Bloodshot USA event (4 issues, sequel) + Bloodshot Annual + #0
You'll like it if you like: Old Man Logan, grizzled superhero stories
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: The Valiant, Bloodshot, Bloodshot: Salvation

zKIWuqb.jpg

Imperium
Description: Toyo Harada is the most dangerous human being on the planet. Imbued with incredible powers of the mind, he has spent his life guiding humanity from the shadows. But today he is a wanted man. His powers are public knowledge, his allies have turned to enemies, and he is hunted by every government on the planet. Instead of surrendering, Harada has one last unthinkable gambit to play: to achieve more, faster, and with less, he will build a coalition of the powerful, the unscrupulous and the insane. No longer content to demand a better future, he will recruit a violent legion from the darkest corners of the Earth to fight for it. The battle for utopia begins now.
Writer: Joshua Dysart (Unknown Soldier, Swamp Thing)
Length: 16 issues
You'll like it if you like: supervillains one-upping each other, superhuman Cold War
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: Harbinger, Harbinger Renegade

odWuUSH.jpg

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior
Description: For five millennia, the Eternal Warrior has shaped history at the end of his sword. He's razed empires, toppled civilizations, and broken armies as an immortal soldier in service to the Earth. But now, the Eternal Warrior has been torn from the world he once protected and finds himself stranded in a hostile alien landscape unlike any he's faced before. Separated from his earthly environs, can history's deadliest soldier survive a realm far older, far deadlier, and fare more ruinous than anything he's ever encountered? Beyond Earth lies eternity...
Writer: Robert Venditti (Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, Surrogates)
Length: 14 issues
You'll like it if you like: lots of violence, Old Man Logan, revenge stories
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: The Valiant, Book of Death*, X-O Manowar (2012), Eternal Warrior: Awakening

9DnDydb.jpg

Rai
Description: The year is 4001 A.D. - led by the artificial intelligence called "Father," the island nation of Japan has expanded out of the Pacific and into geosynchronous orbit with the ravaged Earth below. With billions to feed and protect, it has fallen to one solitary guardian to enforce the law of Father's empire - the mysterious folk hero known as Rai. They say he can appear out of nowhere. They say he is a spirit...the ghost of Japan. But when the first murder in a thousand years threatens to topple Father's benevolent reign, Rai will be forced to confront the true face of a nation transformed...and his own long-lost humanity...
Artist: Clayton Crain (X-Force)
Length: 16 issues + 4001 AD (4 issues)*
You'll like it if you like: cyberpunk, futuristic settings, rebellion stories
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: The Valiant, Book of Death*, X-O Manowar (2017), Unity, Ninjak
Where to Buy: Trade Paperback – Deluxe Hardcover - Comixology – Local Comic Book Store

mQ9ItV3.png

Ninjak
Description: For the first time, Ninjak's past and future collide in the pages of an all-new ongoing series from New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (Rai, Mind MGMT) and superstar artists Clay Mann (X-Men: Legacy, Gambit) and Butch Guice (Captain America, Action Comics)! Then: Meet inexperienced MI-6 recruit Colin King on his first mission in the field as he learns the basics of spycraft and counterintelligence, and develops a volatile relationship with his first handler. Now: Colin King is Ninjak, the world's foremost intelligence operative, weapons expert, and master assassin. And he's hunting the Shadow Seven - a secret cabal of shinobi masters with mysterious ties to his training and tragic past.
Length: 27 issues
You'll like it if you like: espionage stories, cheeky characters, Grayson
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: The Valiant, X-O Manowar (2017), Unity, Rai, Ninja-K

2Cq8xJR.jpg

Unity
Description: To kill a king, he has created an army. The world's most dangerous man, Toyo Harada, has been struck by the one thing he never thought possible - fear. Halfway across the globe, a new power threatens to topple modern civilization and, to preempt the cataclysm that is to come, Harada will unite the most lethal, most volatile, most unforgiving team the world has ever known - UNITY. Their mission: defeat the warrior king armed with the universe's most powerful weapon. Kill X-O Manowar!
Length: 25 issues + X-O Manowar crossover (4 issues)* + #0 + Armor Hunters crossover (8 issues)*
You'll like it if you like: character-focused team books
If you enjoyed this, you will likely enjoy: The Valiant, X-O Manowar (2017), Ninjak, Rai, Ninja-K

Yi69JyK.jpg

**Reading Orders That Matter**
As I mentioned previously, Valiant has moved away from derailing series and making you buy a bunch of issues to get the gist of an event. However, they had a few larger scale crossovers early on that are very much in this style, so I'll clarify reading orders for these particular parts. Any issues that are part of a series and not in numerical sequence (like #0 or annuals) are one-shots and can be read in any order.
** denotes optional reading

bgzJlb8.jpg

Harbinger Wars
Harbinger Wars #1
Harbinger #11
Bloodshot #10**
Harbinger Wars #2
Harbinger #12
Bloodshot #11**
Harbinger Wars #3
Bloodshot #12**
Harbinger #13
Harbinger Wars #4
Harbinger #14
Bloodshot #13**

blHsACV.jpg

X-O Manowar/Unity
Unity #1
X-O Manowar #19
Unity #2
X-O Manowar #20
Unity #3
X-O Manowar #21
Unity #4
X-O Manowar #22

VJC7dM0.jpg

Armor Hunters
Armor Hunters #1
Unity #8**
X-O Manowar #26
Armor Hunters #2
Unity #9**
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #1**
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #1**
X-O Manowar #27
Armor Hunters #3
Unity #10**
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #2**
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #2**
X-O Manowar #28
Armor Hunters: Harbinger #3**
Armor Hunters: Bloodshot #3**
Unity #11**
Armor Hunters #4
X-O Manowar #29
Armor Hunters: Aftermath

Iyn40Lj.jpg

Bloodshot/Archer & Armstrong (in order in either trade)
Archer & Armstrong #18
Bloodshot #20
Archer & Armstrong #19
Bloodshot #21

PptWa3Q.jpg

Book of Death
No reading order! If you're interested in this one, just read Book of Death #1-4, and any tie-ins that interest you.
Book of Death #1-4
Fall of Harbinger**
Fall of X-O Manowar**
Fall of Bloodshot**
Fall of Ninjak**

8ZcRXOP.jpg

4001 AD
4001 AD takes place after Rai #12. Rai #13-16 and 4001 AD do not need to be sequenced. Other 4001 AD tie-ins can be read in any order
4001 AD #1-4
War Mother**
Shadowman**
Bloodshot**
X-O Manowar**

eqDoOPP.jpg

Divinity III: Stalinverse
Divinity III takes place after Divinity II. All tie-ins are standalone and can be read in any order.
Divinity III #1-4
Komandar Bloodshot**
Aric, Son of the Revolution**
Shadowman and the Battle for New Stalingrad**
Escape from Gulag 396**

Is there more?
Yep! I've listed what are, in my opinion, the best places to start. You can do some exploring on your own and see what you like.
Here is the complete (and completely overwhelming) based on when things were released. It's totally unnecessary to read everything, as stated above.

What about other media? You mentioned a cinematic universe?
Yes! As I mentioned, I came onto Valiant because of a proposed 5 film deal with Sony Valiant Entertainment made in 2015. I know, it's Sony, so it's pretty much going to be confirmed crap, right? Not necessarily so. The producers on the films will be the CEO and other comic creators, but more importantly, they've stated they are just interested in making good films like their comics, so that people will be drawn to read more comics. They want them to be as faithful in spirit to the works they're based off of, and while we don't know what the final product will be, they seem intent on delivering something great. The 5 film deal will include two Harbinger films, two Bloodshot films, then a Harbinger Wars film that will have the two sets of characters crossover.
Also in development are a TV series based on Quantum & Woody (the Russo brothers are currently attached to produce); a TV series at CW based on Dr. Mirage; a film based on Archer & Armstrong with Ruben Fleischer directing; and a film based on XO Manowar (with a secret director).
The project that is furthest along and will be releasing this year is Ninjak vs the Valiant Universe, which is a digital series created by Valiant in collaboration with Bat in the Sun (Super Power Beat Down). Here's the trailer.
a4diN6y.jpg

Credits
Thanks for COMICS! OT for feedback on what to include in the thread. Comics descriptions taken from Comixology.com. Images from ValiantDatabase.com. Top image taken from Vulture.com
Also, special thanks to BejaminBirdie, ElBoxyBrown, and TheDarkKnight774 for getting me into Valiant in the first place with their recommendations.

Amazing work, Launchpad! Actually got a few Valiant books from a recent Humble Bundle. I really enjoy how fledgling Valiant as a whole & their universe feel in comparison to the Big 3. I feel like it gives a lot of room for unique stories from unique talents.

I used to keep up with everything during the relaunch in 2012. Because of time though, now I just read Faith. 100% recommend any of these publisher's titles.

shingi70

Banned
Amazing work, Launchpad! Actually got a few Valiant books from a recent Humble Bundle. I really enjoy how fledgling Valiant as a whole & their universe feel in comparison to the Big 3. I feel like it gives a lot of room for unique stories from unique talents.

If it's something the line has been great about it toeing the line between standalone series and connected universe, where everything is conncetd, but you don't need previous knowledge to start a title.

stn

I loveeeee Valiant. Didn't know about the Ninjak digital series!!! Looks awesome. I encourage any comic fans to check out everything mentioned in the OP.

Vic_Viper

Awesome thread! Thanks for putting this together, subbing now! Been wanting to check out what Valiant is doing for awhile now. Starting with The Valiant and going from there. Been really impressed with it so far.

Sojgat

I've been buying the entire Valiant line in trades since the start. Gives me everything Marvel and DC no longer do.

Glad there are more fans coming up that don't frequent the Comics OT :)

I'll also be posting sales as they come up, probably at the top of the OT. The Humble Bundles are the best thugs to catch up with.

Awesome thread! Thanks for putting this together, subbing now! Been wanting to check out what Valiant is doing for awhile now. Starting with The Valiant and going from there. Been really impressed with it so far.

The Valiant is just my absolute favorite. Hope you enjoy it.

I loved 90's Valiant, and would love to dive into this. Maybe I will. Magnus isn't in it, right?

Dynamite has the rights to Magnus. I suspect current Valiant will do a series to ape Magnus and bring a similar character under their umbrella. They did so with Savage, which is their version of Turok

Awesome OT.

I'd recommend to anyone who'd like to get a sense of what their universe is really capable of to check out the 4001 and/or Stalinverse crossovers.

Pretty much totally self-contained and tie in the rest of the universe in really interesting and, in nearly every case, through stand alone one shots that take the concept and use it to build a totally unique story about an established character.

Nyanmaruz

Live action wise, the Quantum and Woody tv series get me hyped the most, especially with the Russo Bros being part the Valiant hype train.
I guess production won't start until after Avengers 4 though, so probably late 2019?

Thanks for this Launchpad, I'll check this out when I get home. I recently bought the entire run of X-O Manowar (2012 series) during a comixology sale. Can't wait to read it.

Live action wise, the Quantum and Woody tv series get me hyped the most, especially with the Russo Bros being part the Valiant hype train.
I guess production won't start until after Avengers 4 though, so probably late 2019?

Yeah, I'm unsure of how they'll make this happen or if they'll even still be interested by then. If they do, this could be one of the most exciting adaptations.

Thanks for this Launchpad, I'll check this out when I get home. I recently bought the entire run of X-O Manowar (2012 series) during a comixology sale. Can't wait to read it.

You're in for a treat. XO starts good and only gets better as it goes

Awesome thread. Haven't read any Valiant before, sadly as a kid in the 90s I was provided with Extreme Studios comics....yea. However, I have been listening to Launchpad's sermons lately the comic OT, and I'm looking to get in. Honestly, any book with Jeff Lemire, Matt Kindt or Joshua Dysart's name on them should be enough but the idea of a very tightly curated line of books with an overall vision but extremely driven by and malleable to the creators where permanent changes can happen is an exciting thing. The talent pool is a little wider but it kind of reminds me of the Mignola books.

Definitely subbing this and will check back in with thoughts when I get there. Thinking I'll kick off with The Valiant now (after some back and forth) and the first volumes of Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Imperium and Rai. First volumes are a great entry price too, which is nice.

The only thing I've read out of this universe is Ivar, Timewalker.

As such, I will sit here and say that if you (and by "you" I mean anyone fresh popping into this thread) have zero interest in this universe, then you need to read Ivar, Timewalker, you piece of shit. And if you have no urge to read anything else in this universe, then at least you've read Ivar, Timewalker, you piece of shit.

bunbun777

loved Barry Windsor Smith's work throughout valiant. Still think Magnus robot fighter should be a movie property.

jph139

I've been slowly working my way through the Valiant universe for a while now, between Humble Bundles and library copies. X-O Manowar is the clear highlight for me, but they're all decent to solid in my experience.

Looking forward to trying Brittania and Divinity III most, because I'm a sucker for Rome and USSR settings. Do we know if Stalinverse is getting a collection with all the one-shots or not?

I also decided to dive in at #1 with the new Manowar series and it's quality stuff. Art is gorgeous, and the story has this great pulpy feel. Like, John Carter of Mars, through a lens of hardcore 90s grit. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Also, neither here nor there, but a friend of mine actually got a job in their marketing department, so she'll give me free TPBs and stuff. Plus her name is on the back page of every book, which I always get a kick out of.

Great OP.
I've never read a single Valiant comic but for some reason I bought a copy of Iron Man / X-O Manowar for the gameboy last week, lol. I'm sure this gaming classic will be a great introduction to this universe.

gforguava

Ninjak is basically the best thing in ages, can't get better than Batman also being James Bond, it hits the right balance of having enough character to work to offset the spy-jinks but never to the detriment of the ass kicking.

I'm going to be adding some subscription information shortly that will make catching up/reading cheaper for people.

The only thing I've read out of this universe is Ivar, Timewalker.

As such, I will sit here and say that if you (and by "you" I mean anyone fresh popping into this thread) have zero interest in this universe, then you need to read Ivar, Timewalker, you piece of shit. And if you have no urge to read anything else in this universe, then at least you've read Ivar, Timewalker, you piece of shit.

Seconded. Ivar is top 5 for me.

I've been slowly working my way through the Valiant universe for a while now, between Humble Bundles and library copies. X-O Manowar is the clear highlight for me, but they're all decent to solid in my experience.

Looking forward to trying Brittania and Divinity III most, because I'm a sucker for Rome and USSR settings. Do we know if Stalinverse is getting a collection with all the one-shots or not?

I also decided to dive in at #1 with the new Manowar series and it's quality stuff. Art is gorgeous, and the story has this great pulpy feel. Like, John Carter of Mars, through a lens of hardcore 90s grit. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Also, neither here nor there, but a friend of mine actually got a job in their marketing department, so she'll give me free TPBs and stuff. Plus her name is on the back page of every book, which I always get a kick out of.

No word on Stalinverse, but I think it will be bundled with II. I hope.

Awesome! We have an insider now! :D

Ninjak is basically the best thing in ages, can't get better than Batman also being James Bond, it hits the right balance of having enough character to work to offset the spy-jinks but never to the detriment of the ass kicking.

Basically, yeah. I love how Kindt writes the character. I'm sad his tenure is over, but I'm looking forward to Christos Gage on Ninja-K.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Archer and Armstrong, The Valiant and Ivar, Timewalker are all great, even if you don't care about the greater Valiant Universe.

Good job, Launchpad.

Top Bottom