• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria: Azure Revolution Demo (contains full prologue) PS4: 12/22 JP PSV: 12/26 JP

Nyoro SF

Any idea if the demo will be localized, or will we have to pray the demo-exclusive attack is default in the localized version?

Nyoro SF

Any idea if the demo will be localized, or will we have to pray the demo-exclusive attack is default in the localized version?

Good news is the attack isn't demo-exclusive, it just gives it to you faster than you would normally get it.

I don't think the demo will be localized, but it's not impossible. As you can see they released a demo just three weeks before Japan release, so it's not unfeasible to release a localized demo at the same timeframe before the Western release.

So the PlayStation app on my phone lets me download it. Will that really happen when I get home or do I need to create a jpn psn account?

Nyoro SF

So the PlayStation app on my phone lets me download it. Will that really happen when I get home or do I need to create a jpn psn account?

I've never tried from a phone before, so sadly I don't know. But if you were able to access the page and confirm the download, then you must have a Japanese account of some kind already. It won't let you check out and confirm the download to your PS4 without one as far as I know.

Unless there's some weird shenanigan where it recognizes a non-Japanese login (haven't tried).

jb1234

I gave it a try and... well, it's not great. You basically just run up to enemies and smack them down. No strategy involved at all. It's boring. Music's great, though. Getting Mitsuda back into writing for large-scale RPGs might be this game's legacy.

Yasumi

Banned
Played it, and I honestly kind of liked it? Feels like a PS2 game, with the odd melding of real-time with an action meter and stop-time-to-item. I was expecting something much worse from all the hyperbole. Think I'll be getting it when it comes out.

Lucentto

Banned
Just played it for a bit.

This is awful, what the fuck happened? The battle system is boring as all hell. The character designs are pretty bad. At this point I can't see this turning out to be a good game. This game comes out next month? This shit is doomed.

Oublieux

Since the demo is fairly long and loaded with dialogue, I posted an edited take of the demo and just left in the combat portion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU1L-vOwDp0

I may upload the full demo - roughly an hr long - tomorrow.

Thank you for this, I just took a few minutes to watch portions of it. I am a little underwhelmed, to be frank, and the visuals don't have as strong and catchy of a painterly style like in the previous iterations either, which made it stand apart from other games. I'm still hoping it turns out to be entertaining though--did you feel particularly good about the combat?

it's not bad at all considering former hyperbole. i admit im in the camp that kinda likes it. an attempt to meld real time and some of the turn based aspects of the former engine

NateDrake

Thank you for this, I just took a few minutes to watch portions of it. I am a little underwhelmed, to be frank, and the visuals don't have as strong and catchy of a painterly style like in the previous iterations either, which made it stand apart from other games. I'm still hoping it turns out to be entertaining though--did you feel particularly good about the combat?

Emotions are mixed. I loved VC and this combat system is very different. It kind of reminds me of Xenoblade combat, in a way. The problem with this demo was the lack of any real challenge - the demo only had two difficulty options: Easy and Normal (I played on Normal).

Nyoro SF

can i make JPN account with email already attached to one of my UK/US/CDN accounts or do i need fresh email?

I believe a fresh email is required.
I recommend hanging onto said email, it can be useful having a 2nd email for Japan stuff. I've had the same JP email for all my stuff from Amazon JP and PSN JP for many years.

First, without commenting on the character design, this seems like a fairly attractive game. I think the aesthetic they're chasing is fine even if it's a bit on the bloomy side.

My Japanese isn't good enough to say anything about the story or characterization, so whatever there.

In regards to the actual character design, I definitely don't love it. A few designs are plain stupid, but most somehow manage to look both drab and overdesigned. The designs make me think they somehow managed to take an almost Nomura-esque level of busyness to design...but also made the designs uninteresting to look at (whereas Nomura's designs might be practically or even outright dumb but still seem fun for me to look at it).

All in all. Eh. I'm still interested I suppose. I actually forgot the game existed so I suppose it succeeded in winning some mindshare back...

Does the game feel incredibly slow to everybody else? It felt like I was dragging my character along to move.....

Also who's the VA for the girl in the white dress?

zoobzone

Just finished the demo on normal mode:

Can't say much about the gameplay because it was too easily tuned, but its definitely no where near as good as the old Valkyria games.

Story seems somewhat interesting, the demo was quite short so you can't get a full grasp of what they're aiming for, but I guess it has potential.

Is it me or have they done a poor job in directing the cut scenes, it feels like sometimes the pace is too slow with too many pauses in between camera, and the camera angle they use felt off for me.

Kysen

Just finished the demo and I'm sold 100%. Loving the combat/story and the voice cast is A+. Pretty much all the big names are there.

can i make JPN account with email already attached to one of my UK/US/CDN accounts or do i need fresh email?
Do what I did. If you have a gmail account the [yourname]@googlemail.com and [yourname]@gmail.com count as different email addresses but forwards to the same account. I have 2 PSN accounts sending mails to the same address this way.

maouvin

I think I spent more time skipping cutscenes than in battle. A pity, they could've designed some custom battles that required some strategy beyond running into things and slashing them (with the occasional shooting and nade. Oh and I used skills on the boss too).

I can't japanese though, any combat nuance I might have missed?

Top Bottom