• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 First Gameplay Trailer

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yup I'm fucking hyped. i really hope we get some kind collectors edition complete with Art book.

sublimit

Banned
Yup I'm fucking hyped. i really hope we get some kind collectors edition complete with Art book.

I'm not really into CEs anymore aside for a very few special games that mean a lot to me but this game is definitely one of those special games.Even if i end up buying the true art book and the complete ost separately on a later date it will still be worth it.

IpsoFacto

This was the most amazing coincidence... I was playing the original game, or rather the Remastered Edition that came out for PS4. I'm noticing a ton of similarities, but graphics have been improved even though it's running on the same game Canvas engine.

ref

'Don't fix what ain't broken'

Day 1

VC1 is my favourite game I've played in many years, upset with myself the first time playing it was only a year ago

I'm shocked by how much this looks and sounds like the original game. Not just in the graphics and gameplay, but in the sound effects and everything. I'm sure it will be great, but I was expecting it to set itself apart aesthetically.

Danjin44

I'm shocked by how much this looks and sounds like the original game. Not just in the graphics and gameplay, but in the sound effects and everything. I'm sure it will be great, but I was expecting it to set itself apart aesthetically.
You have no idea how happy I'm about that. For me VC1 graphics and Art direction was absolutly fantastic and also from what I saw from from trailer the graphics has improved, especially the way the weather effects looks.

sublimit

Banned
can someone enlighten me about this series ?? i heard it's similar to Fire Emblem

It's basically a turn based strategy game in third person with some shooter elements.You can choose your squad members,classes,and train them to level up by gaining xp from battles.You can also level up your weapons,tanks and armor.The game is divided into chapters (like a storybook) with various maps to do battle and story chapters that you can watch.

Despite being a huge fan of the original game, putting more than 50 hours into it back in 2008, I came away disappointed with what was shown. I mean, there’s nothing bad in there but there’s also almost nothing that stood out to me.

Put it this way: if you showed me the gameplay trailer back in 2008 I’d have told you it’s either an unambitious sequel or an expansion pack to the game I’d just finished playing.

I get that that’s what people want from the old series that never got a ‘proper’ followup on console, but what’s been shown so far isn’t what really interests me, especially nearly ten years after the original arrived.

Reminds me a bit of the phase Zelda went through with Twilight Princess: By no means a bad game (though VC4 has yet to prove itself since it’s not out yet) but it was weighed down by all the baggage of fan expectation. You got the impression that the devs had to stick rigidly to a certain template on a lot of factors in the game because of it.

I’m still in for playing it when it releases but I feel basically no excitement.

kunonabi

Looking great so far. Really been in the mood for another valkyria chronicles/ codename s.t.e.a.m experience. Crazy that it took this long to get a proper follow up.

can someone enlighten me about this series ?? i heard it's similar to Fire Emblem

Take Fire Emblem. Give your units guns and grenades. Each unit action takes place by walking around on the battlefield, not just moving a chess piece. All leveling is done via Bonus EXP a la FE9/10, and happens as a class, not individually, so that no unit is left underleveled. Permadeath is still a thing, but you have three turns to evacuate an incapacitated unit before they die. You get a tank. Instead of each unit getting one move per turn, you have a set number of moves per turn, so one unit could take 10 moves, or two units could move five, whatever the situation demands. No healer class - instead, each unit has an unlimited-use healing item they can use during their turn. You get a tank.

Naked Lunch

Interesting. For some reason I thought this was a Switch exclusive - glad to see it on other consoles too. VC1 is one of my all time favorites.

Semi related - they released a pair of Valkria Chronicles tanks in World of Tanks for consoles a few months back. I bought Welkin's Edelweiss.

Despite being a huge fan of the original game, putting more than 50 hours into it back in 2008, I came away disappointed with what was shown. I mean, there’s nothing bad in there but there’s also almost nothing that stood out to me.

Put it this way: if you showed me the gameplay trailer back in 2008 I’d have told you it’s either an unambitious sequel or an expansion pack to the game I’d just finished playing.

I get that that’s what people want from the old series that never got a ‘proper’ followup on console, but what’s been shown so far isn’t what really interests me, especially nearly ten years after the original arrived.

Reminds me a bit of the phase Zelda went through with Twilight Princess: By no means a bad game (though VC4 has yet to prove itself since it’s not out yet) but it was weighed down by all the baggage of fan expectation. You got the impression that the devs had to stick rigidly to a certain template on a lot of factors in the game because of it.

I’m still in for playing it when it releases but I feel basically no excitement.
This is about where I'm at. If you told me it was DLC for the first game, I would've believed it. Still gonna buy it, probably gonna enjoy it, but I'm not as excited about this as I might have been. Hopefully VC5 will try to set itself apart.

xviper

Take Fire Emblem. Give your units guns and grenades. Each unit action takes place by walking around on the battlefield, not just moving a chess piece. All leveling is done via Bonus EXP a la FE9/10, and happens as a class, not individually, so that no unit is left underleveled. Permadeath is still a thing, but you have three turns to evacuate an incapacitated unit before they die. You get a tank. Instead of each unit getting one move per turn, you have a set number of moves per turn, so one unit could take 10 moves, or two units could move five, whatever the situation demands. No healer class - instead, each unit has an unlimited-use healing item they can use during their turn. You get a tank.

seems cool, will check it out when it comes out

but i have a question, do they give you a TANK ?

sublimit

Banned
I really hope they fixed the ranking system so this time they reward actual strategy (damage taken,team members killed) rather than rushing as fast as possible.

That was my only issue in the first game.

DonF

Looks just like VC1, and thats a good thing. A little disappointed but, if it works, don't change it.

blackjon24

Looks just like VC1, and thats a good thing. A little disappointed but, if it works, don't change it.

Right? Like you want to expect more since its been almost10 years since the original but at the same time should we just be grateful we are getting this? Sega's Yakuza series has evolved quite a bit in 10 years so I don't think its asking for much to expect the same for some other series of theirs.

Dubloon7

Banned
Right? Like you want to expect more since its been almost10 years since the original but at the same time should we just be grateful we are getting this? Sega's Yakuza series has evolved quite a bit in 10 years so I don't think its asking for much to expect the same for some other series of theirs.
per Easy Allies's Yakuza 6 review they mention the fighting has not changed (much?) from the first game, so not sure how you think the Yakuza games had "evolved" but whatever.

October is going to be an EPIC month for gaming, between this and Red Dead 2, I'm done, lock myself in my apartment and throw away the key.

blackjon24

per Easy Allies's Yakuza 6 review they mention the fighting has not changed (much?) from the first game, so not sure how you think the Yakuza games had "evolved" but whatever.

did you not pay attention to the same review you're talking about? Engine change with all new physics for one, seamless transition from exploration to combat, no loading times when entering buildings.

JohannCK

I haven't gotten round to 6 yet, but it's been heavily criticised in Japan and is regarded as the worst game in the series (to translate/quote the blurb there: "reduced volume, drop in quality of battle system, reduction of screentime for regular characters, ending that may make players hate the entire series"); It removes a bunch of the stuff introduced in later games like style changes and the action is generally said to be the worst in the series.

If you look at the evolution of the series you'd probably want to look at Kiwami/Kiwami 2/5.

Edit: Oh right, I took a look at the Valkyria 4 demo and have a play report up on Frontline Gaming so I figured I'd just link that here. Long story short: It's good.

There are enough changes that the gameplay is fresh and it's way better than 2/3/Revolution.

Last edited:

Danjin44

They way Damiani talked about VC4 in Frame Trap made super hyped. I personally don't care the visuals hasn't changed much from VC1 because to me VC1 hasn't aged one bit, still gorgeous game.

JohannCK

Oh I can't edit posts so I just want to add one thing

>There are enough changes that the gameplay is fresh and it's way better than 2/3/Revolution.

It's way better than 2/3/Revolution as of what's seen in the demo.

3 wasn't TOO bad until it started to introduce some of the silly stuff like armoured classes and began to drag out stages for way too long than was welcome, which didn't happen until halfway through, so it's still entirely possible that 4 might turn out to be bad later on. But everything in the demo is done right so hopefully that won't happen.

NewComer

Will this game be on Steam? How were the other Valkyria Chronicle sequals not released in North America already? ...I am excited for this game though. It seems that there will be a weather mechanic added to it, along with a few new classes.

With all the E3 hype I think this was overlooked but for any huge fans of the series that may have missed it, a collectors edition "Memoirs From Battle Premium Edition" is available for pre-order. Through EB Games (Canada) for $129.99 CAD. I would imagine its up for pre-order on GameStops website in the States as well for probably around $99.99 USD. Got my pre-order in yesterday. Can't seem to find anything that refers to how big the tank model is but I did import the Japanese CE for the original game and the Edelweiss was quite small. It looks like it also comes with a 100 page artbook and a couple Squad 7 missions.

I also found out that Amazon accidentally may have leaked the release date, the date they had listed was October 16th which sounded about right.

pmoO4p8.jpg

Last edited:

-MD-

This being announced for PC and (I assume) not delayed from the other releases was an underrated announcement, I thought for sure they were gonna make us wait until Q1 2019 or something.

Danjin44

I already pre-ordered this as soon as it became avalible on my local EBgames. I can't to finally get my hands on this game, it been too long since we got proper VC game on consol.

Top Bottom