• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles "Gallian Crossfire" PC rebalance mod - This Changes Everything

Mudcrab

I thought it might've been harder to find in search engines. Well, it's mostly semantics, I don't think anyone even noticed the subtitle... lol

I asked Busard to publish his work as a Steam Guide, but maybe he didn't understand my request. It's possible this mod will have no name when it becomes more well-known among the VC players anyway.

Gallian Crossfire sounds good and the thread title is fine.

Oooh, this sounds pretty awesome.
I dropped the game at chapter 12 back in November due to Inquisition and haven't had the time to continue it since then. I guess I'll start a fresh playthrough with this mod then.

Nyoro SF

Wow, this looks like one thorough mod.

Hmm now the quandary; Do I start NG+ or start over from scratch with the mod.

I was explicitly told that the mod only works off a New Game without using existing saves. So if you decide to do a NG+, back up your save files and let me know what happens post-mod. Something tells me it might not play nice.

- Musaad, Lynn, Audrey, Knute and Emile are no longer hidden characters and can be added to the squad like anyone else.

Wait. Fucking what?

Are there characters I never even knew existed because I restarted every time a character died?

I've beaten this game 4 times and I never fucking knew those characters existed.

Nyoro SF

Wait. Fucking what?

Are there characters I never even knew existed because I restarted every time a character died?

I've beaten this game 4 times and I never fucking knew those characters existed.

Your Honor, I present Evidence 1... heh heh

I didn't mind letting characters die or drop on my first run, I have an old school mentality, but if I hadn't looked up the unlock requirements for these characters I would've missed them completely.

I know that game designers love their secret content and I can't blame them for it, but I think overall this locking of characters didn't really contribute to anything meaningful.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wait. Fucking what?

They didn't have to die just be downed. You can grab them and the recruits that come with them "dead" show up.

Wait. Fucking what?

You don't have to have the character literally die you can have the medic evacuate them and the couple of hidden characters will still pop.

Lynn and Audrey are awesome BTW.

Edit: LOL beaten again.

Haunted

Seems terrific.

Bit scared of the enemy being as strong as my squad is, but we'll see.

Wait. Fucking what?

That's what you get for trying to dodge consequences. :p

MegaPanda

Installed the mod over my current save to test it out.
Mod mostly seems like value changes so nothing is glaringly broken. Even the resized tank upgrades rearranged themselves nicely on the Edelweiss upgrade grid. The weapons I already owned got their stats readjusted so there's no issue there too.

I tried Skirmish 1 on Easy and the game is noticeably harder due to the enemy stat increases. Enemy accuracy/weapon stat boosts makes their interception fire really deadly. Couldn't get within grenade range to destroy bunkers so I had to actually use Largo for something other than the CP bonus.
AI seems to be untouched though. Enemies will still suicide themselves into your units and Lancers will still try to snipe you with rockets (although they'll actually hit and ko people now).

Also, found this in the readme file:
- If you use a vanilla game save, you may encounter those glitches:
- Scouts and troopers with engineer hand grenades. I set the 3rd & 5th grenade
upgrades to be engineer-only but if you had already upgraded to such grenade
in your save, your scouts and troopers may have that engineer-only upgrade.
- Some scouts/engineers improperly equipped (because I set some scout rifles
to be scout-only or engineer-only) and you may need to re-equip them.
- Impossibility to unlock some orders as I changed the way orders are unlocked
by leveling classes (if you already had all class at level 20 in your save,
this shouldn't be a problem).

So even if I didn't see any issues with installing the mod mid-game, it's probably a good idea to start fresh anyway

Josh7289

Really interesting. This sounds like the justification I need to play through the game again. I really liked the original, so I'll be interested to see the changes. Though since I last played the game at least 5 years ago, I hope I'm able to actually notice what's changed haha

Nyoro SF

Also, found this in the readme file:

So even if I didn't see any issues with installing the mod mid-game, it's probably a good idea to start fresh anyway

OK, that's good to know. It does make sense if progression and leveling is affected, then those who have already completed that progression would come across problems.

Really interesting. This sounds like the justification I need to play through the game again. I really liked the original, so I'll be interested to see the changes. Though since I last played the game at least 5 years ago, I hope I'm able to actually notice what's changed haha
The stat changes should be noticeable if you've got the wiki open.

Personally, I can't wait for the comparison videos. Those should be interesting.

Nyoro SF

One thing I was considering was how powerful it would be to have snipers that can intercept on your end. Thinking directly, missions such as Defend the Refugee Camp now have a totally different dynamic. It might actually be worth it to have an Intercepting Sniper off to the far left behind Edelweiss in that mission.

Looking at the full patch notes though, Alicia/Rosie/Largo being capable of permadeath now, doesn't that make their deaths now a silent Fail Condition, as opposed to just an annoying mechanic of having to deploy them for full CP count?

All three are required for a few of the missions, so yeah, looks like them getting killed is essentially a Game Over now.

I mean, personally I would have preferred to keep them leaders and the mission CP counts at default. On another angle, can't help but feel that this change gives the player an unnecessary advantage since we'll always be at a consistent CP count no matter what while the AI can have their CP pool chipped away at.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Are you able to disable the auto-pause when alt-tabbing yet? I'd love to try this out but having to keep the game focused while the enemy is acting is really annoying.

Nezzhil

I finished the vanilla version on my PS3 years ago and replayed half of it on PC.
Now, I started the game again with this mod and... Wow, with the mod, the game is really hard! I don't recommend it for beginners. But it's a welcome change to veterans, so I'll continue playing it :)

Good work Busard!

Nyoro SF

Looking at the full patch notes though, Alicia/Rosie/Largo being capable of permadeath now, doesn't that make their deaths now a silent Fail Condition, as opposed to just an annoying mechanic of having to deploy them for full CP count?

All three are required for a few of the missions, so yeah, looks like them getting killed is essentially a Game Over now.

I mean, personally I would have preferred to keep them leaders and the mission CP counts at default. On another angle, can't help but feel that this change gives the player an unnecessary advantage since we'll always be at a consistent CP count no matter what while the AI can have their CP pool chipped away at.

I talked to Busard and he confirmed that Alicia, Rosie and Largo dying makes certain missions impossible to beat. However he and I both agree that the current method of having a default CP limit without having CP tied to characters makes it more fair for characters that don't have CP assigned to them. It lets people have more freedom in squad choice rather than have three slots constantly taken every mission with the same characters. So I will add his words to the OP:

VERY IMPORTANT:

ALWAYS KEEP ALICIA, ROSIE & LARGO IN THE SQUAD
DO NOT LET ANY OF THEM DIE PERMANENTLY
OR AT THE VERY LEAST DO NOT LET ALICIA DIE BEFORE CHAPTER 8A

That was probably important!
Also he added a HUGE batch of extra notes to his work and he made the Steam Guide like I requested. So I'll be adding that to the OP too.

I finished the vanilla version on my PS3 years ago and replayed half of it on PC.
Now, I started the game again with this mod and... Wow, with the mod, the game is really hard! I don't recommend it for beginners. But it's a welcome change to veterans, so I'll continue playing it :)

Good work Busard!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I need to finish VC3 first... but I definitely am looking forward to being challenged.

Are you able to disable the auto-pause when alt-tabbing yet? I'd love to try this out but having to keep the game focused while the enemy is acting is really annoying.

Sadly code changes that fundamentally alter the game's internal workings like that are impossible to change with just HEX editing. Does that happen if you put the game in windowed mode and switch to another window, or just when it minimizes?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Sadly code changes that fundamentally alter the game's internal workings like that are impossible to change with just HEX editing. Does that happen if you put the game in windowed mode and switch to another window, or just when it minimizes?

Both. The game doesn't update while it doesn't have focus.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll still give this a shot. Just a little bummed Sega hasn't bothered to change this.

Nyoro SF

Both. The game doesn't update while it doesn't have focus.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll still give this a shot. Just a little bummed Sega hasn't bothered to change this.

While this port is very servicable with graphics and controls and plays perfectly, I find that there are some small elements that weren't fixed when ported to PC by this third party team. I don't think Sega overall was ready for the success of this game.

Luckily modding the game this way is way easier than PS3 modding. :)

Majukun

I'm currently playing it for the first time,the game still seems challenging enough as it is for me.. but i seldom use orders.. also, some part doesn't really sounds true to me.. like being easy to kill tanks with infantry..

I'll decide if I wanna try it when I finish this first run

Man, the game is just sitting on my PC waiting for a replay and this may be a good reason to. I haven't replayed the game since originally playing it on the PS3, and a balanced mod could make things a lot more hectic. I do remember running to capture flags and ending missions quickly, but I also remember harder missions I barely got through. Hmm...

I'm currently playing it for the first time,the game still seems challenging enough as it is for me.. but i seldom use orders.. also, some part doesn't really sounds true to me.. like being easy to kill tanks with infantry..
In the mission where
Cordelia
got kidnapped and is in an APC, Alicia with a ZM Kar 8(g) needed only three salvos to take out the APC's radiator... on Turn 2.

IIRC, I had Alicia, with that same rifle, blow up a light tank on the Vassel skirmish map in one try.

Nyoro SF

In the mission where
Cordelia
got kidnapped and is in an APC, Alicia with a ZM Kar 8(g) needed only three salvos to take out the APC's radiator... on Turn 2.

IIRC, I had Alicia, with that same rifle, blow up a light tank on the Vassel skirmish map in one try.

You can do some fun overpowered stuff still to catch up with the very strong enemies, but you have to accept more tradeoffs than before. Like the one flamethrower that does 2400 vsArmor now. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6st0P3E3JU - Marina using the new Penetrator Sniper Rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6HFwHKrfI - Edelweiss fighting against anti-tank cannon interception fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqTm4OLTOH0 - Showing off new sniper rifle interception fire, imperial weapon strength and status changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHizVJ29OoE - Mod pre-release video showing some shenanigans with grenade tossing and health manipulation.

I don't suppose it takes out that big tank boss mission?

For some people, this mission is absurdly easy, and for others, it is impossible. :)

In the mission where
Cordelia

Alicia is the Goddess of War, yes.

I don't suppose it takes out that big tank boss mission?

Oh there's worse later.

Rad-

Sounds amazing. Might start a new game now. I stopped playing the game few months ago because the balancing really sucked in it.

So if I understand this correctly, with this you won't get punished anymore for using "realistic"/careful tactics instead of rushing with your scouts in order to achieve the A rank, right?

That would be neat. Pretty much my only real complain back when I played the PS3 version.

Oh joy. That's where I put the game down.

z8YWegB.jpg

You are not dismissed, soldier! You have the tools, you have the training, you have Little Miss Broken herself! YOU CAN DO IT (and then do it again in those even rougher battles).

Nyoro SF

So if I understand this correctly, with this you won't get punished anymore for using "realistic"/careful tactics instead of rushing with your scouts in order to achieve the A rank, right?

That would be neat. Pretty much my only real complain back when I played the PS3 version.

Right. Still, just because you can't rush like a crazy man (this actually happens in VC1 a lot less than people think!) it doesn't mean that you can't push forward very slowly. You still have to crush enemies and capture flags at a decent pace.

I really want to see someone try Expert Challenge... 6 I think it was, with the new changes. The one where there's around 10 snipers on top of mountains, with six tanks firing long-range interception fire and you have to move Welkin to a certain point.

Oh joy. That's where I put the game down.

Protip: If you hug the tank, the turrets can't shoot you. Also, grenades are the fastest way to kill the radiators and the first blockade wall has already been knocked down for you. Justdoit_shia.mp4

mugwhump

This sounds AWESOME

I played up to chapter 5, but everyone talking about the balance issues kind of sapped my enthusiasm, so I stopped

...but I also stopped because I was holding on to a vain hope that something like this would come. And it actually did! And it's way more thorough than I ever imagined!

Major kudos to the guy behind this, can't wait to start a fresh file.

Nyoro SF

This sounds AWESOME

I played up to chapter 5, but everyone talking about the balance issues kind of sapped my enthusiasm, so I stopped

...but I also stopped because I was holding on to a vain hope that something like this would come. And it actually did! And it's way more thorough than I ever imagined!

The guy who did this mod is a very dedicated individual to the series.
He actually did hacking on the PS3 version previously and did custom save editing.
That's why I have a lot of confidence in this mod.

If you check out GameFAQs, you can see his posts where he breaks down entirely every statistic possible in the game and activation requirements for every potential.
You can see that Alicia was always designed to be the "beginners helper" character in strategy games, and that the developers definitely played favorites with innate stats.

I have never played this before. Would it be worth it to play it how it was made or straight to this mod?

I have no idea about the game other than it's awesome

I have never played this before. Would it be worth it to play it how it was made or straight to this mod?

From what I hear, it's worth it to play at least one stock playthrough, especially if you haven't played the game before.

Nezzhil

This sounds AWESOME

Even with the balance issues the game is still amazing, continue playing it, please!

From what I hear, it's worth it to play at least one stock playthrough, especially if you haven't played the game before.

Yes, I recommend play the stock version before the mod. I played the first chapters and the game is hard (and even more for new players) even for veterans like .

Nyoro SF

After thinking about it, if you're new to the series I recommend doing a normal playthrough so you can appreciate the regular game and what the eventual balance mod will bring to the table.

Have fun getting a few achievements that will be harder to get with the mod activated. And be sure to use lots of saves. :)

Top Bottom