• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria (PS3) Producer "Its sad that fanboys latch onto crappy translations.."

farnham

Banned
http://gc-navi.jp/interview/interview_valkyria.html

――Tell us about your take of the future of the game industry..

Nishino:There is a problem with the platforms .. I feel confused that games like Wii Fit sell.. They aren't games.. I did make some casual titles too.. But really.. Wii Fit and Wii Sports should be the gateway for the nongamers.. But ultimately they should play proper games like Valkyria Chronicles

Better and direct translation

- by rykomatsu

rykomatsu said:
The section in question:

――最後に、今後のゲーム業界についてのお考えを教えてください。

西野氏:まずゲームハードがどうなるかという問題があります。『Wii Fit』を見ていると、もうゲームじゃないですから。ああいったタイプのソフトがトップセールスになることに複雑な気持ちはあります。私自身もカジュアルなタイトルを作ったりしていますが、カジュアルユーザーをメインストリームのゲームに向けさせるための材料になればと思ってます。やっぱり最後は『戦場のヴァルキュリア』のようなゲームらしいゲームをやってもらいたいという気持ちはありますね。

Translation:
--Finally, please tell us your thoughts about the gaming industry; present and future.

Nishino: First off, there's the issue of what is happening with game hardware. Looking at "Wii Fit", that isn't in the realm of games anymore. I have mixed feelings when these types of titles end up being top sellers. I used to develop casual titles and would like to see said titles to be a catalyst for converting casual gamers to mainstream gamers. In the end, though, I would really like to see casual gamers try titles games which can be classified as games, such as "Valkyria Chroniles".

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
What a Hater... as if Games like WiiFit would compete with Hardcoregames like Valkyra - Baka...

TAFKAA

Banned
Valkyria (PS3) Producer "Its sad that games like Wiifit sell.."
thumbs-up.jpg

I like this guy

Wollan

While that is kind of a funny statement ('they should play my game'), Valkyria Chronicles looks absolutely terrific.

shinsnake

Banned
What a moron. As if anyone that was going to only buy Wii Fit was ever going to by Valkyrie in the first place. Hey, dumbass, those games aren't stealing your sales away.

And then he's even more confused. No one should buy Wii Fit, but everyone should buy Wii Fit and then move on to Valkyrie. So which is it? Should no one buy Wii Fit or should everyone buy Wii Fit? Even he's confused.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
shinsnake said:
What a moron. As if anyone that was going to only buy Wii Fit was ever going to by Valkyrie in the first place. Hey, dumbass, those games aren't stealing your sales away.

Looks like Damage Control before the Release of the Game ...what a tool...

AniHawk

Wollan said:
While that is kind of a funny statement ('they should play my game'), Valkyria Chronicles looks absolutely terrific.

I wasn't aware Valkyrie of the Battlefield had a name change and had been announced for the West. I've been confused for a solid 5 minutes.

Tru Talon

Banned
You can see where he coming from. He put time into a project where these casual games is coming out like Reality Shows. I have a Wii and don't have no causal games for it beside Wii Sports. I don't fuck with that shit. It's like another season of Survivor, I ain't trying to see that and all these Chicken Shoot games.

Jonnyram

I don't know if you translated that by yourself, but the title and OP are well misleading. He says "mixed feelings", not "sad" or "a shame".

Jacobi

Banned
AniHawk said:
I wasn't aware Valkyrie of the Battlefield had a name change and had been announced for the West. I've been confused for a solid 5 minutes.
That's a rare sight!

shinsnake

Banned
Tru Talon said:
You can see where he coming from. He put time into a project where these casual games is coming out like Reality Shows. I have a Wii and don't have no causal games for it beside Wii Sports. I don't fuck with that shit. It's like another season of Survivor, I ain't trying to see that and all these Chicken Shoot games.

But a person who bought the Wii only for casual games, such as Chicken Shoot and Carnival Games was never going to buy any hardcore game to begin with. It's not like the fact that Survivor and American Idol outdraw 24 makes 24 a horrible show and it gets canceled. It's just two divergent paths, not one overtaking the other.

Laguna

Banned
Damage control and you know it. :D It´s always funny to read statements from ignorant people like him and fanboys who applaud to his infantil comments.

Salazar

By 'ultimately', does he mean 'eventually' or 'as a matter of principle' ?

Can't wait for his game, and he has my respect until he trolls a game I like.

Just because of this I am buying Valkyria on Day 1 to show my support.

No wait, fuck that. I'll buy TWO copies, both of the collector's edition if there is one.

shinsnake said:
It's not like the fact that Survivor and American Idol outdraw 24 makes 24 a horrible show and it gets canceled. It's just two divergent paths, not one overtaking the other.
Not necessarily. I have seen plenty of quality imported TV shows get canned because some idiot TV controller decides that production money is better spent on more Big Brother crap. In a way it makes perfect business sense as the majority of audience like the crap.

shinsnake

Banned
monkeylite said:
Not necessarily. I have seen plenty of quality imported TV shows get canned because some idiot TV controller decides that production money is better spent on more Big Brother crap. In a way it makes perfect business sense as the majority of audience like the crap.

Yes, but I've also seen perfectly good shows get canceled before the reality show craze. It's not something new to today and it's not something due to reality shows. And maybe that wasn't such a good analogy as there are only so many primetime spots whereas videogames are somewhat more broad in the amount that can be released at any one given time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ts a shame that games like Wii Fit sell.. They aren't games.

Yes (IMO).

Wii Fit and Wii Sports should be the gateway for the nongamers

No. (Well, maybe they should, but they won't be)

But ultimately they should play proper games like Valkyria Chronicles

No.

Wii Fit and Wii Sports are practically a market onto themselves now. Saying that people who play them "should play proper games" is a bit arrogant/insulting. If certain people just want to enjoy those things, then that's their perogative (as much as I personally think, at least, things like Wii Fit and 'eye sight training' etc. are ridiculous).

You guys may be getting the wrong impression. Seems to me he means to say developers should be making proper games that appeal to non-gamers, not making non-games for non-gamers. And that is the sad direction that the industry seems to be heading in.

Top Bottom