• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Drive -Bhikkhuni- |OT| Weaponized women powered by pleasure

I don't have twitter but my vote would've been VD because of better gameplay and enemy designs. I also prefer the Drives since you get multiple and it adds to the moveset, I rarely use the swimsuit transformation and the shinobi transformation from SK since there is only one I usually just use it at the end against the boss.

Marvelous tweet prompted someone to make a comparison between Bhikkhunni and Sk2's character models and the results are pretty interesting.

SK2's are the same model scaled up and down depending on the character while Bhikkhuni's actually have enough details to make them unique to each character. Pretty amazing for a developer whose previous credits are mobile games and Bon Appetit.

I often wonder what it would take for the SK girls' in-game models to actually look like the art. I mean they get close enough and they're still cute as hell but as you show their models are all pretty much the same, just taller/shorter with bigger/smaller boobs. I'd love it if with the power of the Switch (vs 3DS and Vita) and even more so the PS4 they could actually make the girls look closer to the art.

Maybe it's because there are so many of them compared to VD?

My guess is that is a matter of budget and/or effort. I mean, EV is nowhere close to push the PS4 capabilities at its limits so it should be possible to implement unique character models for each character.

The amount of characters is also a factor but then again, on Bhikkhuni you have the clothes actually reacting to the models. Something that I'm guessing is not that easy to implement.

N° 2048

Finally got around to putting more time into this and wow it's addicting. I played for three hours straight.

My thumb fucking hurts. I need a new grip for my Vita.

Seems we are getting the new costumes after all

3crLc1z.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Gonna guess that those are from the Bikini Party Edition of the game coming out next week?

HotHamBoy

I often wonder what it would take for the SK girls' in-game models to actually look like the art. I mean they get close enough and they're still cute as hell but as you show their models are all pretty much the same, just taller/shorter with bigger/smaller boobs. I'd love it if with the power of the Switch (vs 3DS and Vita) and even more so the PS4 they could actually make the girls look closer to the art.

Maybe it's because there are so many of them compared to VD?

Lol that has nothing to do with console power, that's just a matter of effort. SK is super lazy. Well, super low-budget. Crafting models takes time and money.

Never really got the appeal of the characters in SK, they just look like the same plastic doll with different hair/clothes. And the boobs are super whacky.

I don't think this game is much of an improvement there but I do think the shaders make the models look a lot nicer.

So this game is supposed to be too easy, right?

Ah don't feel bad, counting the japanese versions I've bought the game four times: Japanese LE, Digital american version, American Liberator Edition and Japanese Re-release.

giphy.gif

Lol that has nothing to do with console power, that's just a matter of effort. SK is super lazy. Well, super low-budget. Crafting models takes time and money.

Well it kind of does. The PS4 is more powerful than the Vita and as such can have higher-poly character models. Thus they'd be able to smooth them out and, ideally, make them look more like the art with shaders that, again, may not be possible on the less powerful hardware of the Vita or 3DS. The PS4-only Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash has much higher poly models then the shared-platform Estival Versus. They don't look different body to body but they're much nicer looking than SK:EV.

But I agree the bigger part of it is definitely laziness/budget. It's obviously way cheaper, easier, and less time consuming to make one model and just change the height and breast size than to uniquely create 30+ different body types. Plus that might also affect animations and hit boxes, if all the bodies are essentially the same then I imagine the animations would scale, but if one girl has really long legs and a small torso and another is more stout and pear-shaped using the same animation across both might come out looking off. Like when people mapped Captain Falcon(?) to Pikachu in Smash Bros and we got the monstrosity known as PikaMan (which is obviously a more extreme example).

UCBooties

I'd take more Valkyrie Drive, hopefully with enough of a budget to allow something other than talking heads to convey 90% of the story. Also, less grinding and keep customization consistent when not controlling characters, please!

And a game that doesn't crash every fucking time you go into the dressing room and run at a sub 10 frame rate in the dining room.

MetalDeer

Hell, I'd be all about a PS4 and/or PC port even, the game is fairly pretty and it's a shame it runs so poorly on Vita. But it'll probably never happen.

And a game that doesn't crash every fucking time you go into the dressing room and run at a sub 10 frame rate in the dining room.

Crashes are entirely on PQube, the japanese version didnt had that. And the dining room slowdowns are due the Vita's limitations.

Hell, I'd be all about a PS4 and/or PC port even, the game is fairly pretty and it's a shame it runs so poorly on Vita. But it'll probably never happen.

Why not? PQube is doing steam ports now and Meteorise's previous game (SK:BA) is on steam now.

Phil Fish

Banned

I'd rather they do a sequel instead of a port. Definitely not vita exclusive though, because it's evident that they are bad at optimization.

Bhikkhuni's translator showed up on 4chan and when asked about how the game did, he only answered "As far as I know it did quite nicely." Not much but hey, better than nothing

Malyse

Why is this game so stupidly fucking broken? The infinite loading glitch really kills my motivation to finish the game.

Bhikkhuni's translator showed up on 4chan and when asked about how the game did, he only answered "As far as I know it did quite nicely." Not much but hey, better than nothing

Well, that's nice. It's been charting pretty well in the UK (which I know has been a really weak market for Vita, but still, it does much better than a load of similarly niche games).

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Any idea of when the costumes from the Bikini Party edition are coming to the US?

Everything was going so well until this Delude challenge. What a spike!

Edit: And right after I complain I get it! Got two deludes off of one attack (the spin attack) by just continuing to mash dodge after the first one.

"No news" does not mean "not happening", y'know.

The lack of news so far aren't encouraging :(

Edit: And right after I complain I get it! Got two deludes off of one attack (the spin attack) by just continuing to mash dodge after the first one.

Damn, pulling it that off against the spin attack is some pretty impressive feat! Congratulations!

UCBooties

Yep, that's how I got it too. Felt like luck, but at least it's done.

So is the Vita dead? Not for us, not now – I’d say it’s on the decline, but we still have Vita titles through the next year. Valkyrie Drive was our last Vita-only title, so you could only play that on Vita and that’s done extremely well for us. Visual novel content has done well – Root Letter and the original Steins;Gate has done phenomenally well. The sales on Vita have vastly outstripped the sales on PS4 with something like Root Letter. Steins;Gate was pretty much all on Vita too, then a small amount on PS3.”

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/02/10/britsoft-focus-pqube

Nice to know Valkyrie Drive net profits to PQube.

The avatars have been finally added to the American PSN but it seems a bunch of them (The swimsuit ones, The Director, Viola and Manpukumaru) were deemed too risky for Sony and thus, they aren't available for us.

Costumes are out now worldwide

cretRvK.jpg

FudfUVX.jpg

kWxqXnF.jpg

It's so cool.

Funnily enough, I always thought Lorelei was the Mermaid-like costume and Otohime the Dancer one. Turns out is the opposite.

joe2187

Banned
Bikini DLC....In my orgasmic lesbian weapon girls game?

This is nothing but pandering and fanservice!

Why is the DLC already in my checkout....

Welp...looks like it's time to platinum Valkyrie Drive.

Mesoian

Alright real talk.

Sexiness aside, DLC aside, bikinis aside, weaponized lesbians aside:

Is this game actually good?

It is pretty good, sure is not a Bayonetta or a DMC but is a great step in the right direction. Personally I found it to be much better than any SK to date.

Having a smaller cast allowed Meteorise to develop them properly, giving to each of the girls a distinctive move set and stats. Combos are more developed than in SK and the Dirve mechanics adds an extra layer of strategy. There's also the Phantom Mechanics based around using dashes mixed with your attacks to keep enemies stunlocked to earn damage boosts.

Here I've compiled a YT list with skilled players showcasing the game combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lslK86-AtPc&list=PLdDkb0xvTQpRMlBHRJ1j9F6CEA95TnnWL&index=1

It's biggest weakness is the fact costume selection is pretty poor and the game is real easy for the most part. Difficulty might be simply because Japan doesn't like challenging games that much but there is no real excuse for the lack of costumes.

I also found its story to be better than SK's recent outings, with a tone and handling closer to Burst's than any other game. However, is by far the most polarizing element of the game and whether you like it or not, depends on how much you become invested on it.

Top Bottom