• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Elysium Announced (Square Enix, 2022, PS4/PS5/Steam)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This looks like shit. Not the way I imagined Valkyrie Profile to come back.

Despite all that, this is still probably a day 1 for me.

Last edited:

Esca

I'm a fan of the Valkyrie game so I'm interested even though silmeria gives it a run for its money lol

Cautiously optimistic on this one. Played through Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on my phone last year and loved it all over again. I’m ok with the change to a more action approach. If the story is there and the game mechanics are fun I think it will be ok.

Edit:
After watching the video, it doesn’t seem like your einherjar play as much of a role. Only ever saw her summon 1 guy at a time. Where’s the team? I am cool with it being more real-time action, but not having a group of einherjar to summon and control is worrying.

Hopefully more info later will expand on this. But 1 at a time summon makes this no different then any other action game. Graphically I don’t care it looks fine, but if the game isn’t there mechanically then all bets are off. I don’t want to write the game off tho, so fingers crossed for more information.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yes I meant VP, my bad, please shoot me :D
If that’s what you want……
giphy.gif

killatopak

Gold Member
Why you gotta do Tri Ace’s baby like this. At least give them a chance with the IP. SE always blames Tri Ace for bad sales but doesn’t really give them the necessary budget and time to succeed.

I have no problem with the graphics. I guess turning into action just means I can’t do all the crazy combo and visuals associated with it. Not sure if you can combo beautifully with a party in real time action. Also, can you even do cool stuff like Nibelung Valesti here?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why does Square keep trying (and more often than not failing) to make Devil May Cry instead of RPGs.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I'm not too bothered with the graphic.
I'm bothered with the gameplay. I like Valkyrie Profile gameplay and they change it.
Honestly, I'd love a Valkyrie Profile 1 style rpg but it probably wouldn't fly in this day and age of normies having a low bar for actual gameplay.

Boss Mog

I'm all for SE cranking out JRPG-ish games but for the love of god put some effort into it; all these games they're announcing look bad, like they were developed by some small indie studio. SE on the box used to mean something on the PS1 and PS2; the expectation of quality.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
All I see in the trailer is SQEX’s take on Elden Ring, lol. From the settings to the enemies, looks like a stylized From game with more dynamic combat.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I thought it looked great. Looks very fun to play. As always, it's just a bunch of whiny bitches in here complaining about graphics. I'm there day 1.
I'm a graphics whore but I tend to like the stories in these kind of games and the gameplay looks good and flashy

It kinda reminded me of Nier Automata in a great way 👍👍

SilentUser

This new Valkyrie title was such a massive letdown. Bad looking game coupled with generic gameplay and strange movements. They actually made me sad when they revealed it :(

SeraphJan

Going low budget makes more sense in the current meta. The last time SE made a huge budget game (FFXV?), people gives way to much shit, complained bad game play.

Since good game play is cheered over high production value, instead of making one game that you had no idea whether it will success or not, why not make 20 games at the same cost of one AAA and see if any one of them click with people.

"Oh but why not just make an AAA game with good game play?" Whether gameplay is good or not is subjective, not that devs or publishers wants to make "bad" gameplay on purpose.

Its not that I like the direction they are going, but that's just the reality of the current meta, people prefer to praise unmeasurable quality over measurable quality. I predict more company will start this practice of release low budget game in short amount of window model in the following years.

Last edited:

Ferdimage

Rather have this as a remaster honestly VP2

Edit: Sorry how do you get a video to play on here automatically?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Quite a new dev studio afaik

It's the new Valhalla Game Studio that Itagaki founded and then resigned from, then merged with Soleil Studio. There are some devs with action game experience on major titles quietly making a living over there.

Last edited:

Fbh

Looking at the trailer again, hopefully there's a mod on PC to remove the black outline. It weirdly makes it look even cheaper than it already does.

Quite a new dev studio afaik

lol they actually made a Naruto game. Probably recycled the "ninja run" animation from there

Wunray

Oh I do expect performance issues at launch, I thought it looked like this because it was coming to switch. Then again Nier looked kinda like this but ran wonderfully so who knows, might pick it up on PC if I see more gameplay that's good.

Shouta

I thought Valkyrie Profile was always action RPG just like the Tales combat system

Turn-based battles but there was a small action component. Characters were assigned to a button and pressing it caused them to attack. You can press them in any order to combo them. They were usually limited to 3 attacks per character but like mages had one big spell, etc.

nikos

Never was into Valkyrie, but I thought this was one of the better games of the show. I'm looking forward to it.

I can't shake the notion this is Square Enix trying to replicate the Nier phenomenon with the Valkyrie franchise, except this doesn't appear to have a strong creator, like Yoko Taro, guiding the project or a developer with a somewhat decent track record, like Platinum on the more recent titles in the Nier franchise.

Even if it launches late in the year, the projected 2022 release suggests this first trailer is a good representation of the final product, which appears to be an incredibly bland hack-n-slash. The existence of a PS4 version also makes me think people shouldn't expect anything overly ambitious. Maybe the game will be fun, but I have low expectations.

Reactions: Fbh

Pejo

The existence of a PS4 version also makes me think people shouldn't expect anything overly ambitious. Maybe the game will be fun, but I have low expectations.
I mean that's what draws your suspicion? This looks like cross gen from PS3, I doubt anybody else is worried that the PS4 version is the thing that's holding it back.

This is just really unfortunate, it's a lose/lose for VP fans. We get a game that scratches none of the itches of the original series, it's low/dubious quality, it won't sell so S-E won't take future chances on the VP IP. Just sucks all around.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Personally I never imagined Valkyrie to come back.

"Better than nothing"

Yeah, this is the same case as The Third Birthday, not what I wanted out of a new Parasite Eve game, but since it's the only thing we get, no other choice.

The existence of a PS4 version also makes me think people shouldn't expect anything overly ambitious. Maybe the game will be fun, but I have low expectations.

The existence of a PS4 version means nothing, GT7, Horizon FW are also on PS4 and look/feel great on whatever console they're on.

This just looks like a low budget product and the IP being handed off to an untested new studio.

mean that's what draws your suspicion? This looks like cross gen from PS3, I doubt anybody else is worried that the PS4 version is the thing that's holding it back.

The existence of a PS4 version means nothing, GT7, Horizon FW are also on PS4 and look/feel great on whatever console they're on.

This just looks like a low budget product and the IP being handed off to an untested new studio.
What I'm suggesting is the game's likely a modestly-budgeted PS4 title that is just happening to bridge the generational gap. Even titles like GT7 and Horizon readily show their compromises on the old platform, while they also benefit from having a publisher willing to give their developers the time and money to put as much shine as possible on the last gen versions. I'm not expecting that to be the case for this Valkyrie game nor that we'll see any significant enhancements from newer hardware. Also, Soleil has been around for a few years now; they may be new-ish, but they're not untested (they're also technically owned by Tencent and have some amount of DNA from Valhalla Game Studios).

Last edited:
Going low budget makes more sense in the current meta. The last time SE made a huge budget game (FFXV?), people gives way to much shit, complained bad game play.

Since good game play is cheered over high production value, instead of making one game that you had no idea whether it will success or not, why not make 20 games at the same cost of one AAA and see if any one of them click with people.

"Oh but why not just make an AAA game with good game play?" Whether gameplay is good or not is subjective, not that devs or publishers wants to make "bad" gameplay on purpose.

Its not that I like the direction they are going, but that's just the reality of the current meta, people prefer to praise unmeasurable quality over measurable quality. I predict more company will start this practice of release low budget game in short amount of window model in the following years.

Just because it's low budget doesn't mean that it should look ugly.
I don't think the previous games had massive budgets, they just excelled in their art and design. If people don't know, the camera on the first two games that I played were fixed. This is a simple way to make your low budget game look better, you just need to show on side of the scenario and work to make those visible parts look good. A free camera that can show all and every direction is an obvious mistake that will make the game look much uglier.

Is this supposed to be Hrist ?

No, it's not.
Fortunately this game seems to be an spin off, meaning that Square Enix may still choose to develop Valkyrie Profile Hirst.

I really hope this will be like Valkyria Revolution, that was so atrocious and made people so mad that Sega reacted making Valkyria Chronicles 4.

lachesis

So this dev also made Devil's Third (well, it's previous body VGS Japan did anyway) - which actually makes sense about their upcoming "Wanted: Dead" game.
Also they worked on Naruto to Boruto Shinobo Striker... which explains the Naruto run of the character.. LOL.

Will see how good this will turn out - but I am kinda looking forward the "Wanted: Dead" action game as well.

Pejo

I really hope this will be like Valkyria Revolution, that was so atrocious and made people so mad that Sega reacted making Valkyria Chronicles 4.
Sadly I don't think there will be as much uproar about this even if it's truly terrible. S-E is just using a "throw shit at a wall and see what sticks" approach, and this one will likely slime itself right into the gutter.

Top Bottom