• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve and Xi3 announce Steam-based mini-PC

original.jpg

The press release
Xi3Corporation today announced a development stage system optimized for computer gameplay on large high-definition television monitors.

Housed in the uniquely shaped, grapefruit-size Xi3® Modular™ Computer chassis, this new development stage product is being showcased this week at the 2013 International CES trade show in Las Vegas, Nevada in booth #20425 in the Las Vegas Convention Center. Xi3's new development stage product is designed specifically to support both Steam® and its Big Picture™ mode for residential and LAN party computer gaming on larger high-def screens.

With more than 50 million subscribers around the world, Steam is the digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications/community platform from Valve Corporation. Big Picture mode allows members to access and play games through Steam on any connected high-definition television display/monitor.

"Today marks the beginning of a new era for Xi3," said Jason A. Sullivan , founder, President and CEO of Xi3. "This new development stage product will allow users to take full-advantage of their large high-definition TV displays for an amazing computer game experience. As a result, this new system could provide access to thousands of gaming titles through an integrated system that exceeds the capabilities of leading game consoles, but can fit in the palm of your hand."

Xi3 also announced today it has received an investment from Valve Corporation. Xi3's new development stage computer game system is also being showcased in Valve's booth (#25730) at CES 2013. No additional details about Xi3's new system or Valve's investment in Xi3 will be released at this time.

Coverage

http://www.steamgamefans.com/valve-...ich-may-or-may-not-be-the-steam-box-2265.html

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/384...-modular-computer-optimized-for-steam-and-big

http://kotaku.com/5973986/here-we-go-valve+backed-pc-hardware-will-be-shown-off-tonight

Rumors ASSUMING this is the "Steam Box"
- Linux based
- Releasing in 2013

SPECS
- Mostly unannounced
BUT
- 1 TB HDD
- Based on "performance level" X7A series made by Xi3
- Xi3 has confirmed that you can upgrade at least the CPU and amount of RAM that the Piston packs.

PRICE
- Unannounced
BUT
- The X7A series sells for $999. The X5A series sells for $499.

Ports, Holes and Dongles
- One ethernet port
- 1/8" audio in/out
- SPDIF optical audio
- Four USB 3.0 ports
- Four USB 2.0 ports (with one dedicated to a keyboard apparently)
- Four eSATAp ports
- Two Mini Display Port ports
- DisplayPort/HDMI port

GMAN.gif

So this is the alleged Steambox?

And going by the name, this machine will be i3 based? Oops, I'm stupid. Xi3 is the name of the company making this, not the name of the console itself.

Exuro

That is tiny. Is this akin to Alienware having Steam installed with every box or is there more to it?

Details, man, DETAILS

And what do they mean by "modular"? Is this anything like the "Valve-brand" gpu idea or the N64 RAM pack to allow a more controlled but still upgradeable pc?

Mini? Small form could be awesome. But that looks more 'tiny'.

Maybe Steam is launching a range of basically Steam branded stuff?

EDIT: Yeah fucking tiny, update this in the OP please:(EDIT2: Thanks)

My smaller form prediction is coming sooner quicker than I thought...and not through Windows...
This is odd.

Is Steam making its Source games Linux and nothing else? :/

I'm not sure what to make of it. Modular makes it sound expandable. Grapefruit sized would mean the specs would have to be very modest, correct?

Maybe I was right all along and Valves steambox is actually a Streambox? That would certainly solve the problem of hardware configs on the customer side of things.

hym

Banned
“designed specifically to support both Steam and Big Picture mode”

I have no clue what that exactly means.

rezuth

I wonder if Valve is going to let lots of companies make Steam Boxes or if this is the fabled Steam Box.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's modular, so that's a plus, I guess.

Still largely useless and marketless device IMO unless the specs are out of this world.

Striek

Pretty sure Valve has hinted about it being an android type situation where they have Steambox but other companies will release optimised Steam systems too. Also what MS had planned for the X360 at one point.

Edit:
Choose Your Core

Athlon 3100 2.0GHz 25W - 2G DDR2 (Z3RO Modules require a Dual Core processor)
Athlon 2000+ 8W - 2G DDR2 (Z3RO Modules require a Dual Core processor)
Standard- Athlon Dual Core 3400E 22W - 2G DDR2 (Recommended for best system performance)
Nope nope nope.

"As a result, this new system could provide access to thousands of gaming titles through an integrated system that exceeds the capabilities of leading game consoles, but can fit in the palm of your hand."

Could yes, but how many games on Steam are Linux compatible? Old ground I know, but funny thing to say in the press release.

J-Tier

I guess by modular, they stack. You create a cube of about twenty seven of them and maybe it can store all your games.

That, or you've got a terrible Rubik's cube.

I thought this would be the SteamBox:
pjsnslwf.jpg

Pinnacle of customization.
They all are steamboxes, every PC is a steambox

Guri

It's not Steambox by Valve. It's just another alternative made by third-parties. Valve will show its own alternative.

Top Bottom