• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Steam Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I still don't get how it is any visually less appealing than any other controller.

Like, what design theories does it eschew?

AkuMifune

Banned
I've come totally around and need this Day 1. There's just too many games I avoid playing in the living room and it's a shame. I doubt it will ever replace the 360 controller for FPS for me, but for games that don't have controller support it will be amazing.

Hope they increase the amount of hardware beta testers. Would be pretty damn sweet.

decent accuracy on CounterStrike within a couple of minutes

Humhum, I need hours with m/kb to enter a level of "Now, I think I have a slight chance! Ah, no, not...my fault again" in CS.

So, bold statement and only time will tell...

I still don't get how it is any visually less appealing than any other controller.
Hard to explain why I find it visually unappealing.

But I do.
It probably doesn't help how unfamiliar the design is.

I don't like how, when I look at it, it looks like an owl is staring me in the face.

tino

Banned
As a life long console gamer. I am really excited by this controller.

There are a few PC games I have been meaning to play (Civilization type games). I know the major game dev will make their future PC game at least half way usable with this controller, and thats all I want so I can play the PC games on my 50 Plasma TV.

I no longer consider Xbox1 as my 2nd console option. My 2nd console will be a steambox. It's a matter of getting it 1 or 2 years fater the PS4.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hard to explain why I find it visually unappealing.

But I do.
It probably doesn't help how unfamiliar the design is.

I don't like how, when I look at it, it looks like an owl is staring me in the face.

Of course you're perfectly entitled to that opinion and I certainly am not trying to challenge you on that. I think the Playstation Move controller looks terrible because it looks like glowing sex toy.

But so far no one has actually been able to really express why it is ugly.

DeaviL

Banned
Kinda like that the sticks are gone, now it's more of a solid block.
Plus, sticks can't "weaken" over time. Now to hope haptic feedback feels right.

Excellent news, more and more people seem to be giving this controller a thumbs up. I want someone to test a real-time strategy game like StarCraft 2 or Company of Heroes, that would be the ultimate test.

inm8num2

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/10/07/i...s-on-steam-controller-after-getting-hands-on/

Dan Tabár, the game designer behind Cortex Command, got his hands on a prototype of the recently announced Steam Controller and says he has “no qualms” with the ergonomic feel of the controller and is “surprised how well it worked.” He told us he’s excited to see how the device will affect the feasibility of PC gaming in the living room.

Tabár tested the controller during a visit to Valve in September and had a chance to play some Borderlands with the new hardware, which he described as fresh off of an in-house 3D printer.

“What I like about controller specifically, is how surprisingly usable and good the touchpads felt almost immediately,” Tabár said. “It certainly is not the laptop touchpad experience frankensteined onto a gamepad. The new paddles on the back are a stroke of genius that makes me smack my forehead…and in general I just dig that Valve is clearly taking a fresh approach and leaving nothing because of some kind of sacred legacy expectations of what makes a good game input device.”

WigerToods

Neo Member
Im curious how they'll sell the controller. Obviously it'll be obtainable in the US, but what about the world. Any word on resellers?

AP55YC5.jpg

I think the controller looks cool and all, but I'm not the only one who sees this, surely?

BraXzy

The comments about its look still make me laugh, the friends I showed said it looked ugly.. What does it matter if it is pink and funky? You hold it in your hands :L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom