• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Cancels Portal 2 E3 Event; Promises Surprise

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just in from IGN:

Valve has apparently canceled its planned Portal 2 event during E3 for a new surprise.

An e-mail was sent out to gaming press today that announced the cancellation. Read the entire message below:

Dear Subject Name Here,

Aperture Science is pleased to inform you that we have partnered with Valve to announce the gala CANCELLATION of the June 14 Portal 2 event at the Regal Theater. The event will be replaced by a surprise. And even though the cancellation of the event certainly counts as a surprise, we are pleased to further announce that the cancellation of the event is not THE surprise. However, per International treaties regarding the definition of the word "surprise", of which both Aperture Science and Valve are signatories, the time, date and content of the actual surprise will only become available as you experience the surprise.

If you'd like to ask fruitless questions about the E3 Portal 2 surprise or, more fruitfully, schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's Special Envoy to Surprises, Doug Lombardi.

Thank you for [[RECORD SCRATCH!!!]]

PS: The surprising record scratch is also not the surprise.

What could this be? Valve confirmed to us Portal 2 will still be shown at its booth during E3.

Any guesses?

http://pc.ign.com/articles/109/1094050p1.html

dLMN8R

It's going to be the new game from the team headed up by the guy they got from the DotA team.

Valve won't say anything about Half-Life until next year, and when they do, it'll be full-blown Half-Life 3.

</steadfast refusal to get even the slightest bit excited by expecting any sort of Half-Life announcement this year>

jvalioli

EPISODE 3.
:lol Nice way to announce the cancellation/surprise though. Totally thought the cancellation would be the surprise.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ShockingAlberto said:
I bet the surprise is a Portal 2 demo on steam and XBL along with a late summer release date.

I'd fucking love that.

clip said:
Half-Life 3 on Source Engine 2.

No such thing as Source Engine 2.

Wallach

Speaking as someone that has a lambda tattooed on his forearm... I'm pretty damn excited but seriously, less talk and more walk. WAITING IS FOR BABY, WAIT TIME IS OVER.

Kusagari

The surprise is that Episode 3 is also coming out this year and both it and Portal 2 will be packaged together.

BELIEVE!

panda21

thats like 2 announcements of cancellations in one day.

countdowns to announcements of cancellations can't be far away. konami?

KAL2006

Banned
OK this could be the best E3 EVER

Episode 3
Portal 2
Zelda
3DS
Natal
PSMove
Gears of War 3
Killzone 3D
Marvel VS Capcom 3
etc, etc, etc..........

So many fans will be hurt if it's not Episode 3.

And please Valve, please not Left 4 Dead 3. I beg you. Give us something like Counter Strike 2 or goddamit TF3. :lol Just not that shit.

KAL2006 said:
OK this could be the best E3 EVER
Already getting our hopes up. :lol Just kidding that' s a great list.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kusagari said:
The surprise is that Episode 3 is also coming out this year and both it and Portal 2 will be packaged together.

BELIEVE!
I actually do.

It's not like Valve hasn't been on a streak of making dreams come true.

Kusagari said:

BELIEVE!
jizz-in-my-pants.gif

If they canceled the event then whatever big news they were going to announce isnt ready for the announcement. I'm sure there will still be some kind of surprise, but if it was episode 3/HL3 they would not have canceled the conference.

Sorry to rain on the parade everybody.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I bet the cancellation of the Portal 2 event will tie into the surprise, which is to actually have the Portal 2 event anyway!

But really, episode 3. Episodic format was originally so they could make the games faster, what the hell.

Top Bottom